operating the car questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
operating the car questions?

hi guys, sorry for this relatively stupid post but i used to drive manual so maybe one of you guys can help me with this paddle shifting...

a) is there a speed at which i can shift from "D" to "S"? or can i do it at any time? Eg. do i have to be at full stop before i can engage in "S"?

b) i read in the owners handbook that engaging paddle shifting in "D" allows you to shift gears on your own. so i can essentially paddle shift in "D"? however, it seems "D" automatically shifts back from paddle shifting to automatic mode after you cruise or step on the brakes, so it's not really a true "manual"? [so it's like cruise control where it doesnt apply anymore after you brake or accelerate?]

c) with "S", paddle shifting is "almost" completely manual as it only changes back to "1st gear" when you're at 6mph or less? [so if you're slowing down from say 3rd gear, do you need to downshift to 2nd gear or will the car do it for you? -- normally, one downshifts to 2nd and then to 1st right?]

d) is VSA supposed to be turned off or on? i read it's always ON... but what if we dont need it? or is it better to be left "on" all the time?

e) what is the difference between VSA and SH-AWD? arent they serving the same purpose? [i obviously dont know what these all are when i bought it -- i went with the feel of the car and this car rocked vs the GLK and Q5... don't get me wrong though, i love all these buttons and hi tech space ship like dashboard and screens ]

any other things/tips that would make driving this vehicle even more fun?
thanks a bunch!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:15 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
a) You can engage at anytime.

b) Correct.

c) Not sure.

d) It's safer left "on".

e) VSA=Vehicle Stability Assist. SH-AWD=Super Handling All-Wheel Drive.

VEHICLE STABILITY ASSIST (VSA). It uses anti-lock braking system (ABS) technology, together with lateral acceleration sensors, wheel-speed sensors, steering position sensors and a dedicated microprocessor to detect wheel slip (understeer or oversteer). This helps the driver control the vehicle through a nearly instantaneous reduction in engine output (through the drive-by-wire throttle control) or the rapid pulsing application of one or more brakes as appropriate. For example, if the driver enters a corner too quickly and the vehicle's front wheels begin to slip (understeer), VSA almost instantly detects the situation and interprets it as understeer. VSA then reduces engine torque and selectively applies the brake on the inner front and rear wheels to help counter the understeer and enhance the driver's control. The correction happens so quickly and so seamlessly that the situation is often resolved before the driver is even aware of it.Another potential scenario involves a traction loss at the rear wheels, such as might be encountered when cornering on a dirty road or when encountering black ice. VSA detects the rear tires beginning to slip and quickly applies the outer front and rear brakes to counter the unwanted yawing motion and help restore control to the driver.VSA is armed automatically when the TSX starts. Any time the system is triggered, an instrument-panel-warning lamp alerts the driver that VSA is operating. The system can be switched off completely via an instrument-panel-mounted switch. The VSA system also handles traction control functions, enabling the vehicle to start and climb hills on low-friction surfaces with much greater ability and controllability. It utilizes ABS technology to sense wheel spin on the front (drive) wheels, and then implements individual brake application and drive-by-wire throttle control to restore traction. The benefit is greater security and active safety during winter snow driving or on other slippery surfaces including sand or water.
SH-AWD—What Does It Do?
There are many all-wheel-drive systems available in the U.S. market, however they are not all created equal. A typical all-wheel-drive system will feature a front and rear differential with a center differential that can direct power to the front or rear wheels, depending on where traction is needed.

While this is very effective for straight-line acceleration, it has limitations in cornering. To compensate for this, many AWD systems are teamed with traction control and stability control systems to provide yaw control. When the steering wheel angle doesn't match the actual direction of the vehicle, these systems can apply braking to individual wheels to turn the vehicle in the desired direction.

Acura's SH-AWD solves this problem with "torque vectoring." This means that not only can up to 70 percent of the power be directed to the front or rear wheels, power can be applied to individual rear wheels. When cornering, the outer rear wheel can be accelerated up to five percent faster than the front wheels with 100 percent of the rear torque going to that wheel. The result is similar to 4-wheel steering, in that the rear wheels help to point the car in the right direction on dry or slippery surfaces.

Last edited by princelybug; 02-11-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Instructor

thanks princelybug... ill play around in the parking lot first before trying these paddle shifters... after i paddle shift in "D", the transmission is wise enough to return to "D" automatic? then i can shift up and down again as i please?

im also confused with this statement: "the AT will not allow you to shift up or down if you downshift before the engine speed reaches the highest threshold of the lower gear"... so if im in 3rd gear, and i try to downshift at a low rpm to get more power, it will not allow me to do so if by downshifting it causes my rpm to shoot up very high? say 5000rpm?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:26 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I wouldn't say 5k RPM, I'd say it'll prevent you to downshift if it'll cause the RPM's to go over redline.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Instructor

ah ok, thanks princelybug... a very smart car... i think ill paddle shift in D mode once in a while... i still like the feel of a clutch and manual stick to really drive manual... shifting in "S" mode feels like im riding my road bike with shimano gear shifters .... but it's a good toy option ... id like to think that people prolly dont usually use the "S" mode right?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by acura1972
b) i read in the owners handbook that engaging paddle shifting in "D" allows you to shift gears on your own. so i can essentially paddle shift in "D"? however, it seems "D" automatically shifts back from paddle shifting to automatic mode after you cruise or step on the brakes, so it's not really a true "manual"? [so it's like cruise control where it doesnt apply anymore after you brake or accelerate?]

c) with "S", paddle shifting is "almost" completely manual as it only changes back to "1st gear" when you're at 6mph or less? [so if you're slowing down from say 3rd gear, do you need to downshift to 2nd gear or will the car do it for you? -- normally, one downshifts to 2nd and then to 1st right?]
Originally Posted by princelybug
a) You can engage at anytime.

b) Correct.

c) Not sure.

d) It's safer left "on".
I just wanted to expand a little...it shounds to me that you need to do a little more reading and driving though...
b) I believe that the book says that you need to drive at the same speed for a while before it goes to automatic again, otherwise it will stay in "manual" mode. You can downshift or upshift at anytime, but there are speed limits for doing either one (the computer wont let you blow the engine, or won't let you upshift if you are too slow)
c) In S mode you can start the car in 2 or 3 gear from a stop. In S mode, once you start using the paddles, you must continue to use the paddles for upshifting and I believe downshifting too. I believe that the car will take over that job after you have gone over or under a certain speed (similar as above)

I hope that my explanation is not too confusing.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Instructor

thanks wrestrepo... so paddle shifting while in "D" is like treating you with kid gloves... paddle shifting in "S" is like no kid gloves... eg. in "D" the computer/transmission will take over more if you screw up... in "S" the computer/transmission takes over less until you really screw up your shifting... decent analogy?

and yes, i forgot, youre right - need to drive at the same speed for a while before it shifts back to "D" in "D" paddle shifting mode...
Old 02-11-2010, 10:15 PM
StayAtHomeDad

I guess....my advise is to read the book and then drive it and test it....I rarely use S, I have used it while driving in traffic and in the snow. I do use the paddles while in D quite ofter to downshift while slowing down or passing, or to upshift for more fuel economy. I don't really mess with it too much though
Old 02-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Instructor

yes, i know what you mean... ill most likely do the same - eg use paddle shifting in "D" for passing or fuel economy... "S" just is too "complicated for me" -- ill be looking for the clutch the whole time (i drove manual for 20 yrs prior to this car)... but worth trying out and testing in a parking lot on an early morning... thanks!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:36 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
" Well slap me silly" Haaah.. I've had mine for 2 yrs now and I didnt even realize that you could operate the tranny useing the paddles while in drive (D) - Guess i didnt read that part of the manual eh... now lets get that MPG to increase ;-)
Old 02-12-2010, 07:00 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Yeah, don't expect a noticeable increase in mpgs though (I think its more like a placebo effect). The main reason I used the manual in traffic is to avoid the transmission to be running through the gears (if that even makes sense).
Ideally you would start the car in 3 while driving in the snow to avoid wheelspin, but I always forget to do that.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Instructor

what does "transmission running through the gears" mean? [eg. overusing your gears as the gears move up and down through traffic starts and stops?]
Old 02-12-2010, 09:38 PM
StayAtHomeDad

In stop and go traffic, instead of going from 1st to 3rd and then back while you slow down, I can start the car in second or third and try to keep it there for as long as I can (until I come to a stop), therefore running in ONE gear as oppose to shifting through them...don't know if that makes sense. Imagine in a standard just using one as opposed to shifting....
Old 02-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Instructor

yep, it makes sense... but in manual, i havent tried starting fm 2nd gear (not RDX "manual" but rather regular stick shift manual)... interesting thought though
Old 02-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When it was slippery out I use to start in 2nd in my manual car. It would decrease the amount of slippage on wheels if it was really snowy/icy outside. I do miss driving a stick but the RDX is a fun ride regardless.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Instructor

slowly getting to learn the intricacies of paddle shifting... (downshifted too early at one point and rpm reached 3500-4k rpm -- need to be careful next time, break in period -- only have 300miles on it so far!)... but this machine is really cool... strangely enough, while a ton of people always say that the rdx should be powered by a 6 cyl. i kinda like this 4-turbo config... maybe it's bec i drove the Q5 and GLK in comparison and found them too quiet/dead =not "sporty" like... i even prefered the Audi A3 with it's 4 cyl turbo too... is it just me or are 4-turbo's much more fun to drive than 6 cyl vehicles?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:48 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I drive in S mode at least 75% of the time.... Even on the freeway - I like it in 4th unless I am going over 65....