Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice review (canadian)

link

God i love that car
Old 06-26-2006, 09:06 AM
Pro

nice, but the pricing (expected $45,000 cdn) is on the high side of what I expected ($40,000 cdn)
Old 06-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by crisco
nice, but the pricing (expected $45,000 cdn) is on the high side of what I expected ($40,000 cdn)
Doesn't surprise me. I alway's figure a 40% premium over U.S. prices. If the U.S. price is 38k for the tech package figure about 53k in Canada. So much for NAFTA. Car companies still valuing the Canadian dollar at .60, and putting the difference in their pockets.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by simplesimon
Doesn't surprise me. I alway's figure a 40% premium over U.S. prices. If the U.S. price is 38k for the tech package figure about 53k in Canada. So much for NAFTA. Car companies still valuing the Canadian dollar at .60, and putting the difference in their pockets.
couldnt agree with you more.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Pro

yes, we're getting ripped off if this is the case. If the RDX ends up listing for $32k US, with today's xchange rate we should be paying ~$36 cdn, and not the $45 as predicted. Hmmm, that CX-7 (fully loaded for just under $40k cdn) is starting to look even better.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Racer

yes, we're getting ripped off if this is the case. If the RDX ends up listing for $32k US, with today's xchange rate we should be paying ~$36 cdn, and not the $45 as predicted. Hmmm, that CX-7 (fully loaded for just under $40k cdn) is starting to look even better.
Mazda prices are high too, just not as high as Acura's. Acura and all the rest of them are ripping canadians off. I love my tsx, but my next car will be an USA-purchased lexus. No border hassles, no warrenty hassles - Acura goes out of its way to screw Canadians. Read the web - most automakers will warrenty cars purchased in the USA and shipped to Canada but not HonAcura. A friend of mne bought a new Lexus in Detroit last mont and when he went to bring it across the border there were 3 other guys declaring thir exports (to USA customs) at the same time. Only morons get taken for 10,000 or more by Canadian auto dealers.

RDX (aside from beng fugly) is a new vehicle and they could use a 85-90 cent dollar and easily make thir money. They are just GREEDY.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Racer

Mazda prices are high too, just not as high as Acura's. Acura and all the rest of them are ripping canadians off. I love my tsx, but my next car will be an USA-purchased lexus. No border hassles, no warrenty hassles - Acura goes out of its way to screw Canadians. Read the web - most automakers will warrenty cars purchased in the USA and shipped to Canada but not HonAcura. A friend of mne bought a new Lexus in Detroit last mont and when he went to bring it across the border there were 3 other guys declaring thir exports (to USA customs) at the same time. Only morons get taken for 10,000 or more by Canadian auto dealers.

RDX (aside from beng fugly) is a new vehicle and they could use a 85-90 cent dollar and easily make thir money. They are just GREEDY.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Racer

sorry for the multiple posts.

Acura sales in Canada are way down and pricing the base rdx at 45K will ensure that it sells as well as the RL. to each his own...
Old 06-26-2006, 11:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
I can live with (and was expecting) $45,000 CDN for the tech package version of the RDX, but as a base price??????? They are seriously testing my loyalty to the Acura brand. The new MDX will have to list for $60,000+ if the tech package RDX comes in at over $50,000. Add a couple of extras (19 inch wheels for example), freight and PDI and GST (federal sales tax), and I'm going to be out of pocket close to $60,000 for an RDX?????? That's close to $54,000 U.S.???? Honestly Honda Canada, use a little lube is you're going screw us this badly. The Canadian spec RDX better include a V10 and a swedish masseuse for that price!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hondamore
I can live with (and was expecting) $45,000 CDN for the tech package version of the RDX, but as a base price??????? They are seriously testing my loyalty to the Acura brand. The new MDX will have to list for $60,000+ if the tech package RDX comes in at over $50,000. Add a couple of extras (19 inch wheels for example), freight and PDI and GST (federal sales tax), and I'm going to be out of pocket close to $60,000 for an RDX?????? That's close to $54,000 U.S.???? Honestly Honda Canada, use a little lube is you're going screw us this badly. The Canadian spec RDX better include a V10 and a swedish masseuse for that price!!!

This sounds like grand theft auto. But really you shouldn't be surprised. This has been going on ever since the Canadian dollar started rising, and it isn't just cars. I would be surprised to find any item selling in Canada that is only 10% more than if you purchased it in the U.S. Good old Canadian free enterprise. This is what has stopped me from buying a Lexus RX350. The same car is 46k in the U.S. and 65k here. The Lexus dealer in Spokane told me it's against Lexus's policy to sell new cars for export to Canada. And the part that really hurts, is the car is made in Canada. I think the government should be looking into this.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:49 AM
Pro

i agree - $45K for the base RDX is too high for my wallet. However, I guess if their target is the X3, then they're moving into the right ballpark (unfortunately).
Old 06-27-2006, 08:04 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I expect it to start where the TL starts which is 42K. Still too much IMO.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I expect it to start where the TL starts which is 42K. Still too much IMO.
42K for the base, 45.5K for the tech package is what I was expecting and I'd buy one immediately at that price.
My fear is that Acura is only planning to build a relatively low number of Canadian spec RDX's and so they figure that they can gouge all they want for the few that come up here. Unfortunately, their appears to be enough initial demand for the vehicle that they are right.
While I don't begrudge any business the abilility to earn a profit, there comes a point where the profits become larcenous. The fact that they can, by their own choice, earn a fair profit on the vehicle at $32,000 - $37,000 U.S. ($35,500 - $41,100 Canadian) in the United States is what makes their actions reprehensible. I'll even conceed that changing the production line slightly to produce the Canadian spec RDX's is costly, but I will guarantee that it is nowhere near $13,000 per vehicle.
Their rational for the gouging is simply that "everyone else is doing it" and that it is difficult to lower prices on existing models in response to currency fluctuations without seriously upsetting the buyers who paid the currency premium earlier. They certainly didn't have a problem rapidly raising prices in response to currency fluctuations which is how we got in this mess in the first place.
This whole discussion is premature, however, since no pricing has been officially announced on either side of the border, so for now I will cling to the hope that they show a little Canadian compassion.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Pro

i too hate to see the price that way. but at the exchagne rate today, is Honda making any profit exporting car to US now?? US dollar is still weak, and will likely go lower...
Old 06-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Nice review. Too bad our Canadian brothers are too often asked to take it in the rear by the car companies, pricewise.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hondamore
42K for the base, 45.5K for the tech package is what I was expecting and I'd buy one immediately at that price.
My fear is that Acura is only planning to build a relatively low number of Canadian spec RDX's and so they figure that they can gouge all they want for the few that come up here. Unfortunately, their appears to be enough initial demand for the vehicle that they are right.
While I don't begrudge any business the abilility to earn a profit, there comes a point where the profits become larcenous. The fact that they can, by their own choice, earn a fair profit on the vehicle at $32,000 - $37,000 U.S. ($35,500 - $41,100 Canadian) in the United States is what makes their actions reprehensible. I'll even conceed that changing the production line slightly to produce the Canadian spec RDX's is costly, but I will guarantee that it is nowhere near $13,000 per vehicle.
Their rational for the gouging is simply that "everyone else is doing it" and that it is difficult to lower prices on existing models in response to currency fluctuations without seriously upsetting the buyers who paid the currency premium earlier. They certainly didn't have a problem rapidly raising prices in response to currency fluctuations which is how we got in this mess in the first place.
This whole discussion is premature, however, since no pricing has been officially announced on either side of the border, so for now I will cling to the hope that they show a little Canadian compassion.
I love my tsx as much today as when I picked it up nearly 3 years ago. It is a great car. Problem is, the world does not view Acura as upscale as the BMWs they are trying to catch. I am afraid Acura is entering a phase that VW is only now coming out of. By trying to go upscale pricewise they kill their sales because they do not have the perceived high-end name. The RL is a classic example of this. So, they should have trepiditionin pricing tis too high. Anything over 40 for the base car is a rip, especially if the yanks get it at 32.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:39 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

A loaded CX-7 GT loaded with all available options...

GT Base - $35,195
4WD - $2,000
Luxury Pack - $1,000
Navigation System with Touch Screen & Rear View Camera - $3,150

TOTAL $41,345

I presume the RDX will come standard with whatever this loaded Mazda has save for the Nav so a base of 41-42K for the RDX actually isn't all that bad. Or they're both overpriced.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dom
A loaded CX-7 GT loaded with all available options...

GT Base - $35,195
4WD - $2,000
Luxury Pack - $1,000
Navigation System with Touch Screen & Rear View Camera - $3,150

TOTAL $41,345

I presume the RDX will come standard with whatever this loaded Mazda has save for the Nav so a base of 41-42K for the RDX actually isn't all that bad. Or they're both overpriced.
This car in the U.S. would be about 33k, which means it would be about 27% more in Canada. This is certainly a better price than Lexus Canada which adds about 40% to the Canadian price for an RX 350. So who knows what Acura will do? A Lexus dealer in Vancouver will discount $900.00 from the MRSP, while the dealer I talked to in Calgary will not knock off a dollar, telling me it's Lexus policy.
Quite depressing when you read buyers in the U.S. are able to get 3-4k discounts for the same car. However our gov. keeps telling us we are the best country in the world.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:40 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Manufactuers say that the market decides vehicle pricing, not exchange. That would explain the 35K WRX, the 40+K Legacy and 50K S2000. Fine, its their decesion to make. But fact is, Canadians have far less disposable income than do American's so you'd think charging alot more in Canada than they do in the US (The RL is a great example of this) would be to their own detriment. But apparently not.

I guess we'll continue to be forced to buy Civics, Corollas, Cobalts, Focus' and Mazda 3's since those are the only cars these makers have decided to make affordable for us.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dom
Manufactuers say that the market decides vehicle pricing, not exchange. That would explain the 35K WRX, the 40+K Legacy and 50K S2000. Fine, its their decesion to make. But fact is, Canadians have far less disposable income than do American's so you'd think charging alot more in Canada than they do in the US (The RL is a great example of this) would be to their own detriment. But apparently not.

I guess we'll continue to be forced to buy Civics, Corollas, Cobalts, Focus' and Mazda 3's since those are the only cars these makers have decided to make affordable for us.

I think you are correct Domm. What they are doing is actually counterintuitive, but since they are all on the same bandwagon (except Mitsu, which did lower prices this year), it is hard to break the spell. For what it is worth, I just bought a loaded miata in Ontario. Price was 36500 MSRP, thugh the same car sells for 26100 in Michigan according to Edmunds, and I would have bought it there but it needs bumper mods to import to Canada. I did CarCost canada, and offered 1K above dealer invoice. My local dealer balked, but another went for it (I agree to pay the gas tax $75, plus air tax of $100). Save more than 2K off MSRP, plus got 6%GST plus 0 financing for 2 years. Add all this stuff up (there is no incentive offered in MI), and the price differential was <1K, if that. If the car didn't need mods, I would buy there (eg Volvo, Lexus etc)

However, in Detroit Free press sunday issue, they had Crossfires advertised for between 19-25K US (higher price was for the convertible). Price in Canada starts >60K for that convertible car, wothout incentives. Lots of cars are >10K cheaper in US. RL sells for what, 44K in US? It is now over 70K here. Acura knows where they can shove those Canadian RLs. Maybe they have already tucked them away in this location, as most dealers have 0 or 1 on their lots.