new snow storm hits the pacific northwest

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
new snow storm hits the pacific northwest

Last night, a heavy snow storm hit Vancouver (BC) and Seattle (WA). In the city, the roads were a mess, with jup to 6 inches of snow, and they were not adequately ploughed.

I have to say, my RDX with just the stock all-seasons performed more than expected. And yes, there were instances where I felt the car was skidding a little, but the SH-AWD system was smart enough to pull the car through. I live up on a mountain community, and the SH-AWD system again proved it's worth, by allowing my RDX to go all the way back to my home, by-passing stuck cars and some SUVs. I literally swerved around them and just kept going up the road. The VSA was working over-time as well, given that my all-seasons were not able to provide traction all the time.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:00 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX vs Chevy Suburban in the snow...

I moved to the Seattle area about 3 years ago from the Boston area - mainly to get away from the salted roads, free sand blasting of paint courtesy of sanded roads. However, the last week or so's worth of weather here in the northwest reminds me of what driving in New England winters was like - only worse. Worse because the cities and towns here are not equipped to handle the snow. The terrain - much more hilly, does not help either.

Anyway, most roads here have 3-6" of snow lying around - after 4-5 days of off and on snow and minimal plowing, there's a lot of snow - especially at the intersections and parking lot entrances etc. Today, a road that I normally take home was closed because it was icy. Traffic was diverted to either turn around or go through a small parking lot to take an alternate route. I chose to go the alternate route, knowing that there was quite a lot of snow in the parking lot. A Chevy Suburban followed me. When exiting the other side of the parking lot, I was a bit concerned because there was literally 6-12" of slushy snow just as the parking lot enters the 45+ mph highway. From a standstill, I accelarated but the RDX was getting a bit bogged down by the VSA trying to minimize slip and wheelspin. Slowly but surely, the RDX creeps ahead and eventually clears the snow and gets on the highway (which is clear) and gets to call upon it's turbo to pull it up the hill. Looking in my rearview mirror, I see the Suburban stuck and not able to get onto the highway. Way to go RDX!

What's interesting is the RDX isn't my car. having had 3 CRVs and an MDX in the past, I've found that the extra weight, poorer handling and fuel consumption deficits weren't my cup of tea. The last SUV/CUV I had was sold in 2003. My TL 6MT was at the dealer for it's 3rd gear TSB fix and the loaned me the RDX - a 2009 Tech Package in Polished Metal. The TSB was supposed to take a day but with the weather, their techs have not been able to get to work. Now, I've had the loaner for almost a week! If the weather stays like this, I'm going to miss the RDX - but not enough to get back into a CUV or SUV though. Now, you may be wondering, how about a TL SH-AWD... Well, 3 reasons:
1) it's ugly
2) there is less headroom in the rear middle seat (I have 3 kids)
3) my bike no longer fits in the trunk because the opening is smaller

Those of you with the RDX and have to deal with snow in greater quantities and longer durations than the northwest, I envy you when it snows. The RDX is actually very very amazing in the snow - much better than the CRV and MDXs I had.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:00 AM
Instructor

You guys need to sack up and turn off that lousy VSA! :P I turn that thing off every time I get in the driver's seat. It's impossible to have fun, for one, and anything that tells me how I should be driving the car is a bad thing.

Anyway, sorry to hear about all the snow up there coupled with the lack of removal. My gf's sister and husband are out there, as is my office (although I'm in Boston) and nobody has gone into the office in like a week now. Crazy.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:01 AM
G&V
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JGard
You guys need to sack up and turn off that lousy VSA! :P I turn that thing off every time I get in the driver's seat. It's impossible to have fun, for one, and anything that tells me how I should be driving the car is a bad thing.

Anyway, sorry to hear about all the snow up there coupled with the lack of removal. My gf's sister and husband are out there, as is my office (although I'm in Boston) and nobody has gone into the office in like a week now. Crazy.

I think you're coming from a WRX before this vehicle, right? I'm the same... that pesky VSA gets really annoying when you're used to providing all the inputs.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mav238
Last night, a heavy snow storm hit Vancouver (BC) and Seattle (WA). In the city, the roads were a mess, with jup to 6 inches of snow, and they were not adequately ploughed.

I have to say, my RDX with just the stock all-seasons performed more than expected. And yes, there were instances where I felt the car was skidding a little, but the SH-AWD system was smart enough to pull the car through. I live up on a mountain community, and the SH-AWD system again proved it's worth, by allowing my RDX to go all the way back to my home, by-passing stuck cars and some SUVs. I literally swerved around them and just kept going up the road. The VSA was working over-time as well, given that my all-seasons were not able to provide traction all the time.
my wife and i too are living on a mountain community, the SFU mountain to be exact. and our RDX has proven to be very capable of going uphill with 12+ inches of fresh powder this past saturday/sunday, combined with some blizzark dm-z3 snow tires, the drive up and down the mountain was such a pleasant experience, not to mention i also bought a set of snow cables in case the extreme situations.

the weather forecast is now calling for more snow these 2 weeks, i'm sure our RDX will be in action again very soon!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Serendipitously I moved from my '00 TL to '09 RDX just two weeks ago for this snow storm.

To think what it would have been like to live in an unploughed area of Vancouver with family sedans and no snow tires.

As I was driving down to Costco to stock up for the holiday in the most severe snow storm of the century , I couldn't help myself smiling in my new RDX.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by G&V
I think you're coming from a WRX before this vehicle, right? I'm the same... that pesky VSA gets really annoying when you're used to providing all the inputs.
Haha, how could you tell? I've had two Subarus and a Toyota Tacoma as my main vehicles before the RDX. 50/50 front rear power split is the only way to go!
Old 12-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've been spending a lot of time out in the snow/ice the last couple of days and the RDX has done very well, even with the stock tires (pretty new).

It has been interesting to see the huge variance in conditions. We've seen deep powdery snow, slush, bare wet pavement, mega bumpy ice, packed snow and packed snow with glare ice on top. Add in hills and traffic for flavor and mix.

In almost all conditions it has traveled with ease where others are having lots of problems.

The few places where I've seen some issues, I suspect the tires were the weak link (steep inclines with ice, mostly).

We have also chained up all four (light cable chains) and that trumps pretty much anything.

I think with proper tires (and/or chains), the RDX is going to be able to handle pretty much anything short of stuff deep enough to high center it.

Admittedly, it doesn't have a lot of clearance, so this is something to watch out for.

We are very happy with it. I do want better tires, but since we have the chains, we'll probably wait till next winter.

-john
Old 12-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ccfoodog
We've been spending a lot of time out in the snow/ice the last couple of days and the RDX has done very well, even with the stock tires (pretty new).

It has been interesting to see the huge variance in conditions. We've seen deep powdery snow, slush, bare wet pavement, mega bumpy ice, packed snow and packed snow with glare ice on top. Add in hills and traffic for flavor and mix.

In almost all conditions it has traveled with ease where others are having lots of problems.

The few places where I've seen some issues, I suspect the tires were the weak link (steep inclines with ice, mostly).

We have also chained up all four (light cable chains) and that trumps pretty much anything.

I think with proper tires (and/or chains), the RDX is going to be able to handle pretty much anything short of stuff deep enough to high center it.

Admittedly, it doesn't have a lot of clearance, so this is something to watch out for.

We are very happy with it. I do want better tires, but since we have the chains, we'll probably wait till next winter.

-john
Yes, the RDX ground clearance is a limiting factor but this "cute-ute" was never intended to be a winter storm trooper. It's probably good enough to handle 95% of all typical winter conditions but there will always be extremes where one must use some common sense. That said, the RDX is a fantastic "all-round" CUV. Sporty feel and awesome handling on dry pavement, excellent rain traction, and very, very good in most winter conditions.