Need input on Roof Boxes

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 04:08 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,183 Posts
Need input on Roof Boxes

Hey folks!

I just got back from a quick 1400 mile round trip vacation in Colorado. Trying to stuff 3 people, gear, food, and misc stuff for 6 days was a tricky task in the RDX. Usually, our vacations are in the summer and we carry less stuff. I was expecting and we did get snow in Colorado and took extra gear just for that. I had to remove the trunk shelf to get everything packed. I just don’t like having everything exposed and partially blocking the back window while traveling.

I have the OEM roof rack with crossbars. I wanted to find out from other road warriors if they invested in a roof box:
- What ones do you like (Yakima, Thule, etc..)
- What size or type?
- Easy to put on/off by yourself? (wife is only 4’11”)
- Good standard lock or did you have any problems of being broken into?
- Reasonable wind noise? (I drive between 80-85 most places I travel)
- MPG hit?
- Problems with stuff shifting in roof box while traveling (hard braking, tight curves)

I’m leaning towards the Thule 667ES Excursion with 13 CU of space. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:26 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Check out the rocket box from Yakima.. a bit bigger and will fit your top good. I have an Odyssey and this box works great. NO noise with OEM crossbars. MPG will take a bit of a hit, prob 1 or 2 MPG's.

Good luck

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima...x-8007147.html
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 08:32 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by 05TSXPAT
Check out the rocket box from Yakima.. a bit bigger and will fit your top good. I have an Odyssey and this box works great. NO noise with OEM crossbars. MPG will take a bit of a hit, prob 1 or 2 MPG's.

Good luck

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima...x-8007147.html
Thanks for the suggestion!

Does the Yakima roof box have internal tie downs hooks to keep stuff from sliding/shifting during travel?

It looks like the Yakima roof box would be easy for one person to put into place. Have you had any problems with dust/dirt/rain getting into the roof box during travel?
Old 10-14-2011, 07:25 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Hey folks!

I just got back from a quick 1400 mile round trip vacation in Colorado. Trying to stuff 3 people, gear, food, and misc stuff for 6 days was a tricky task in the RDX. Usually, our vacations are in the summer and we carry less stuff. I was expecting and we did get snow in Colorado and took extra gear just for that. I had to remove the trunk shelf to get everything packed. I just don’t like having everything exposed and partially blocking the back window while traveling.

I have the OEM roof rack with crossbars. I wanted to find out from other road warriors if they invested in a roof box:
- What ones do you like (Yakima, Thule, etc..)
I've always liked Thule. I truly don't think that there are any big differences in quality/price between the two though. If you want to go cheaper, go generic, plenty of off-brand names in etrailer.com or sears too
- What size or type?
The one in the photo is a 16CU
- Easy to put on/off by yourself? (wife is only 4’11”)
They will all be awkward to install, not because they are heavy, just because....once on the roof there are four clamps that you adjust with a knob on the inside, that's very easy. The only thing about this box is that you need to use the crossbars at their maximum separation, and even then it will lightly touch the antenna.
- Good standard lock or did you have any problems of being broken into?
No break-ins, comes with two locks and two keys, it opens from the side, only one at a time.
- Reasonable wind noise? (I drive between 80-85 most places I travel)
call me crazy, didn't feel much of a difference. There is an upscale version of it with smooth paint too (gray/silver) if you are picky
- MPG hit?
used it twice and the first time got 22 and last weekend got 20-21mpg, driving at the speeds you mentioned above
- Problems with stuff shifting in roof box while traveling (hard braking, tight curves)
With two kids, my trunk and box are always full, so there is no shifting of things. However, if that's a concern, it comes with two straps and loops to secure the load

I’m leaning towards the Thule 667ES Excursion with 13 CU of space. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
When I got mine I didn't expect it would be filled, I called it the "horrible huge box", but as it turns out the two times I've used it has been packed to the max. I don't know about your personal needs, but I would go for this box (16CU)

The following 2 users liked this post by wrestrepo:
JCRDX11 (11-08-2011), mrgold35 (10-15-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by wrestrepo

When I got mine I didn't expect it would be filled, I called it the "horrible huge box", but as it turns out the two times I've used it has been packed to the max. I don't know about your personal needs, but I would go for this box (16CU)
The Box looks good on the RDX.
I am thinking about getting the Thunle base roof rack and the snowboard attachment. But with your picture - I am thinking about a box instead because I have a lot of bags when I hit the road.

MPG won't matter to me because I have a front bullbar and already lose a few mpg.

Last edited by JCRDX11; 10-15-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:42 PM
mrgold35

Thanks for the input about your roof box. All of my questions and concerns are answered. Just need to order the box before our next trip.

I rather have more space than less space. Besides, the more stuff you bring, the more fun you are going to have when you get there. A roof box is still cheaper than buying a MDX.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you made a decision, let us know what you get. Also post pics.

p/
Old 11-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi,

I use a Yakima Rocketbox 15 on my 2008 RDX with factory crossbars. It fits quite well and does not contact the antenna. I have used it for family vacations and moving.

It is a basic box that opens on the right side which makes it slightly challenging to lock down the locks on the left side but that what's the roof rails are for right? ;-) It doesn't have straps but it works quite well. I have had water go in but it is likely because I overloaded the box. I generally wrap all my stuff in bags anyways. Since then, I have also added some weather stripping around the front but if you overload it like I do...probably won't help too much.

Unfortunately, since it is a wide and short box, it doesn't fit snowboards but I'll probably buy an attachment for my bike rack to get around that.

Not sure what the impact to mpg is as the RDX is probably not the best car for that anyways... ;-)

Hope this helps.
mrgold35 (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 08:29 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by RDX Dad
Hi,

I use a Yakima Rocketbox 15 on my 2008 RDX with factory crossbars. It fits quite well and does not contact the antenna. I have used it for family vacations and moving.

It is a basic box that opens on the right side which makes it slightly challenging to lock down the locks on the left side but that what's the roof rails are for right? ;-) It doesn't have straps but it works quite well. I have had water go in but it is likely because I overloaded the box. I generally wrap all my stuff in bags anyways. Since then, I have also added some weather stripping around the front but if you overload it like I do...probably won't help too much.

Unfortunately, since it is a wide and short box, it doesn't fit snowboards but I'll probably buy an attachment for my bike rack to get around that.

Not sure what the impact to mpg is as the RDX is probably not the best car for that anyways... ;-)

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the input!!

I think I will go for the Yakima Rocketbox 15 also. I've read about the same complaints about dust/dirt/rain can sometimes get into the Yakima box. I can just wrap everything in plastic to help with that. I wasn't too crazy about the U bolt clamps on the Thule system; it seem to look like it may take more time/tools to put on/off. The Yakima roof box looks easier and faster to put into place. I figured when I reach my week long vacation spot, I would take the box off when cruising around town.

Next long trip isn't planned until spring break. I will be looking for some internet deals before that time.

A quick question, did you have to adjust your crossbars to fit the box OR does the box adjust to your crossbars?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The crossbars are in their default positions. I didn't have to force them in any way. I adjusted the clamps on the box to the minimum spread and the way the clamps work, it clamps onto the oval factory crossbars quite well.

For me, it was a little awkward at first but now, it is quite easy to mount/unmount the box by yourself.
mrgold35 (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 02:53 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Thanks for the input!!

I think I will go for the Yakima Rocketbox 15 also. I've read about the same complaints about dust/dirt/rain can sometimes get into the Yakima box. I can just wrap everything in plastic to help with that. I wasn't too crazy about the U bolt clamps on the Thule system; it seem to look like it may take more time/tools to put on/off. The Yakima roof box looks easier and faster to put into place. I figured when I reach my week long vacation spot, I would take the box off when cruising around town.

Next long trip isn't planned until spring break. I will be looking for some internet deals before that time.

A quick question, did you have to adjust your crossbars to fit the box OR does the box adjust to your crossbars?
I don't know what you mean by Ubolt. Here is a picture of mine mounted
Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 PM
mrgold35

My first choice was the Thule 667ES Excursion (13 cubic feet). I was able to download the pdf instructions and they use a U bolts to secure the box to the roof rack. Maybe the other Thule roof boxes use a more sophisticated system that does not use U bolts.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:01 PM
StayAtHomeDad

My first choice was the Thule 667ES Excursion (13 cubic feet). I was able to download the pdf instructions and they use a U bolts to secure the box to the roof rack. Maybe the other Thule roof boxes use a more sophisticated system that does not use U bolts.
gotcha....I thought that they all had the same mounting assembly.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:20 PM
mrgold35

I decided to go with a brand new cargo box by Yakima, Rocketbox Pro 14 ($395+$60 shipping). It took me about an hour to put together and adjust for my OEM rack. I did move my front cross bar up to where the sun roof starts to widen the stance of the Cargo box. The rear cross bars are all the way back.

- No tools needed for assembly or securing on RDX
- New design that opens from the left and right side
- Has a spring loaded hinge at the front and rear to keep it open
- Light enough for me to put on by myself
- The crossbar clamps can be adjusted inside the box to fit your rack spacing
- Always secure, you need a key to open the box, can’t remove the key until the box is closed/locked.

I have a standard 7 foot tall garage door opening and the cargo box clears it by 1 ½ to 2 inches driving in. I also have Eibach springs that lowers the RDX at least 1 inch all around (I’m guessing). I never really measured height of RDX with OEM springs, so it might be a tight squeeze if your RDX is not lowered.

It is about an 8 foot reach to close the cargo box when open. Not a problem for me because I’m 6’3” and I can reach up to 8’7” on my tippy toes. I purchased a cargo net from Yakima also.

Taking the kid skiing this Saturday and I will give the cargo box a try on the hwy at 80 mph. Not expecting any rain for weeks to test how water resistant the new design will be.

http://www.yakima.com/shop/cargo/roc...cketbox-pro-14

Name:  SomeAssemblyneeded.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  87.6 KB
Name:  RDXfrontAngle.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  99.9 KB
Name:  RDXSide-1.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  88.4 KB
Name:  RDXOpenright.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  85.1 KB
Name:  RDXopenleft.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  84.9 KB
Name:  RDXInsideview.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  77.1 KB

Last edited by mrgold35; 02-24-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Hi guys I just ordered the Thule Atlantis 1600. I am concerned about weight limit box is 39 lbs the factory roof rack limit is 110 lbs, so is 70 lbs of stuff more than enough? Or should I get a smaller box? I planned on putting clothes linens and other things in it for my first road trip with family of about 500 miles each way.

Wrestrepoyour box is same size as mine seems like how much weight you out in that box? Thanks Ed
Old 05-30-2012, 09:14 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by wifesRDXtech
Hi guys I just ordered the Thule Atlantis 1600. I am concerned about weight limit box is 39 lbs the factory roof rack limit is 110 lbs, so is 70 lbs of stuff more than enough? Or should I get a smaller box? I planned on putting clothes linens and other things in it for my first road trip with family of about 500 miles each way.

Wrestrepoyour box is same size as mine seems like how much weight you out in that box? Thanks Ed
The box is limited to 39lb?
I also have thule 1600 something. I've packed it with a folding metal crate (70lb dog), pack and play, and two suitcases (medium size) full of clothes. I don't know what that equals to, but I assure you it's more than 39lbs
Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Instructor

I mean the box weighs 39 lbs, so i was wonder if its ok to load box with 70 lbs of gear plus the box weight equals the 110 lbs limit. Would that be too much for the factory rack which is right at the limit.

I was thinking of loading the thing with all of our clothes in duffle bags for our week vacation. but have a feeling those duffle bags will be more than 70 lbs total .
Old 05-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Instructor

I am glad you have the Thule 1600 something and I will not really worry about loading up now . Thank you for your input.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:08 PM
StayAtHomeDad

I am glad you have the Thule 1600 something and I will not really worry about loading up now . Thank you for your input.
Yes, not really worried...However, I no longer have the RDX
The bigger the box, the lighter the items, smaller box, heavier items...still limited to the roof rack and roof load limits set by the car manufacturer though.
I think that you will be fine...
Old 06-02-2012, 09:53 AM
mrgold35

Just got back from a 2400 mile round trip with the family from ABQ to San Diego with stops in Laughlin, NV; Las Vegas, NV; Los Angeles, CA; Anaheim, CA; and Oceanside, CA. No rain so I can’t report on how water tight the box was. I did not notice any dust, dirt or bugs in the box; it seemed to keep those things out.

I had the box loaded down with lawn chairs, sports umbrella, extra beach towels, and 3 soft suit cases (3 folks for 2 week vacation). I’m guessing the weight to be about 55-65lbs. I had no problems in parking garages because the total height was less than 7 foot. It was easy to take stuff in/out because the roof box opens from both sides. Once I reached my destination, I just took off the roof box and stored it on the 2nd floor balcony where we were staying.

I was traveling between 70-90 mph on the interstate depending on traffic. I had zero problems at those speeds with the roof box. My mpgs average was about 19.6 mpg; but, I had a little bit of a head wind heading toward CA. On the way back home, there was a tail and cross wind and I averaged 22.1 mpg with the cruise control set at 80 mph.

On the open road the wind noise was about average; there was 10X more road noise depending on the asphalt condition compared to the roof box. The RDX handled the same as usually on the open road. I did notice more turbulence and shaking when I followed behind or passed an 18-wheeler.

A roof box was cheaper than buying a MDX and I was able to take everything I needed to have a fun time on the California beaches.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got back from a 2400 mile round trip with the family from ABQ to San Diego with stops in Laughlin, NV; Las Vegas, NV; Los Angeles, CA; Anaheim, CA; and Oceanside, CA. No rain so I can’t report on how water tight the box was. I did not notice any dust, dirt or bugs in the box; it seemed to keep those things out.

I had the box loaded down with lawn chairs, sports umbrella, extra beach towels, and 3 soft suit cases (3 folks for 2 week vacation). I’m guessing the weight to be about 55-65lbs. I had no problems in parking garages because the total height was less than 7 foot. It was easy to take stuff in/out because the roof box opens from both sides. Once I reached my destination, I just took off the roof box and stored it on the 2nd floor balcony where we were staying.

I was traveling between 70-90 mph on the interstate depending on traffic. I had zero problems at those speeds with the roof box. My mpgs average was about 19.6 mpg; but, I had a little bit of a head wind heading toward CA. On the way back home, there was a tail and cross wind and I averaged 22.1 mpg with the cruise control set at 80 mph.

On the open road the wind noise was about average; there was 10X more road noise depending on the asphalt condition compared to the roof box. The RDX handled the same as usually on the open road. I did notice more turbulence and shaking when I followed behind or passed an 18-wheeler.

A roof box was cheaper than buying a MDX and I was able to take everything I needed to have a fun time on the California beaches.
Is there a reason (amount you needed to carry) that you got the rocketbox 14 instead of the 12? I really only need to put my golf clubs, a couple beach chairs and some misc stuff in a box on my roof for this years road trip and I'm thinking the smaller box. However would a couple snowboards fit in the 14? Comparing lengths I see 74" vs. 58"
Old 06-02-2012, 08:35 PM
StayAtHomeDad

My experiences have been similar, no noticeable MPG drops, or additional wind noise.
I'm glad it worked out for you too.

Originally Posted by bg905
Is there a reason (amount you needed to carry) that you got the rocketbox 14 instead of the 12? I really only need to put my golf clubs, a couple beach chairs and some misc stuff in a box on my roof for this years road trip and I'm thinking the smaller box. However would a couple snowboards fit in the 14? Comparing lengths I see 74" vs. 58"
They have options for what you are looking for, longer and slimmer boxes for low profile items like your boards.
bg905 (06-05-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 07:12 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by bg905
I went with the Rocketbox 14 because my college age daughter sometimes goes on vacation with us and I wanted to have the extra room just in case down the road. I also don't like to travel with anything exposed when we stop for any reason. I feel safer with everything hidden in the hatch or the cargo box. Another plus with the extra space is I always seem to come back with more stuff. Having a few extra cubic feet come in handy when you don't pack as tight when leaving or pick up a few souvenirs along the way.
bg905 (06-05-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Waiting on a Thule Atlantis 1600 xt. Will post pics when I get it.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Picked up the Thule Atlantis 1600, took 2 min to attach to roof rack with help.

Drove at 80 mph no noise.

Does lean on the antenna don't think a stubby antenna will help as crossbars so close to roof.

Anyone here put this thing on themselves and also do you carry a ladder or something to get up there and load the thing?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:18 PM
StayAtHomeDad

I would remove the antenna before installing the box, then I realized that I didn't care that much and started just installing it. It does lean on it, but not enough to be worried I think...
No ladder for ne, I had running boards, but if you don't just park close to the curb and you should be fine.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:56 PM
mrgold35

Does lean on the antenna don't think a stubby antenna will help as crossbars so close to roof.

Anyone here put this thing on themselves and also do you carry a ladder or something to get up there and load the thing?

I had the tools to adjust the cross bars and I have my cargo box sit about 1-2 inches away from the antenna. My cargo box also has adjustments inside to move the clamps up or down to fit the OEM cross bars. It took me about 30-45 minutes to get everything just right.

It really helps that my cargo box opens from both sides to load/unload, so I don’t need a step ladder. It is also light enough for me to put it on by myself (much easier with two). It also helps that I'm 6'3" and I can place/secure/load the cargo box standing on the ground. The wife is 4'11" and there is no way she could use the cargo box with a step ladder.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Instructor

here it is Thule Atlantis 1600 xl mounted
Attached Thumbnails Need input on Roof Boxes-img-20120712-00022.jpg  
Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 AM
mrgold35

The roof box looks good on your RDX!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Roof box question guys. It seems the front shakes when I drive. It's as far back as it can go to clear tail gate. It this normal you think? I took it for a drive up to 75 mph with about 65 lbs of gear inside .

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
I have no experience but it should not move, right.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
F y i

The box that repo'd is running is WAY too big.

The OEM roof rack is a POS. DO NOT mount a long Yakima/thulue product to the OEM roof rack.

In Fact Acura only offers a "Short Roof Box." (55")
If you mount a Yak Pro 11 (89") to this rack and it is not full of weight, it may pull off the car at freeway speed and you will void your warranty.

Even with a couple of bikes on top this OEM rack is stretched to the limit.

Wonder why he bought an MDX?
Old 07-14-2012, 04:53 PM
mrgold35

Roof box question guys. It seems the front shakes when I drive. It's as far back as it can go to clear tail gate. It this normal you think? I took it for a drive up to 75 mph with about 65 lbs of gear inside .

Thanks.
I've notice my roof box bounces a little bit in the front. I don't have my cross bar in the widest position possible. I moved my cross bar where my moon roof starts so it would not block my view when I wanted to pop the top with the cargo box off. I also have an OEM air defector for my moon roof and the cargo box does not touch it when it is bouncing. I've cruised up to 90 mph and it did not bounce any more compared to 65 mph. Maybe the design of my box is a little different?

Your box seems to stick out just as much as my box over the front windshield. Maybe you need to widen out the crossbars?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Instructor

I just did about 300 miles with it on and was doing 80 and def bounced too much then id like.The oem rack doesn't have enough spread. I m thinking if I just get Thule cross bars and put on oem rails. I will be be able to have a bigger spread between crossbars and get rid of the oem cross bars. I was going to get them before my trip and now I'm kicking myself .
Old 07-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Good, safe idea^.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Instructor

I've notice my roof box bounces a little bit in the front. I don't have my cross bar in the widest position possible. I moved my cross bar where my moon roof starts so it would not block my view when I wanted to pop the top with the cargo box off. I also have an OEM air defector for my moon roof and the cargo box does not touch it when it is bouncing. I've cruised up to 90 mph and it did not bounce any more compared to 65 mph. Maybe the design of my box is a little different?

Your box seems to stick out just as much as my box over the front windshield. Maybe you need to widen out the crossbars?

I don't think you can go any wider than you have it . My front crossbar was only able to go right aft of the sunroof any further front the rails are too wide apart I believe. Please let me know if you can go further forward. Tks.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
How do the Thule cross bars mount? Do they go above the rails?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DRR98
How do the Thule cross bars mount? Do they go above the rails?
Here's the link for the one that fit rdx, they go on top and wrap around the oem rails. I have to call Thule to confirm but I think with this system I can have a total weight limit of 165 lbs as opposed to the oem system that's 110 lbs .

Go to Thule website and their fit guide.

Here's link with better pics mounted of ones that fit rdx.

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-...oof-racks.html

Last edited by wifesRDXtech; 07-14-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Instructor

The crazy part is the bouncing is not the roof box only but also the front cross bar. I'm at max weight on this oem rack and not liking it.

I may see if I can find Thule crossbars ASAP while out on the road.

Going to put a bunge cord over the front to see if that's helps the bouncing and will post pics of the thule crossbars if I find them ASAP.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:24 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Thanks.
Shake? what kind of mounting to the crossbars does your box have? My box is also a Thule and essentially the same size. Mine would "bounce" a bit on the front, but not "shake" (just sounds a bit worse)

The problem with the boxes is that you cannot spread the crossbars too much, since the car rails get wider as you move to the front and the bars are only "so wide". I remember that I had to have the box attachments as close to each other as the box allowed me to, while having the bars as far apart as the car allowed me to.

The crazy part is the bouncing is not the roof box only but also the front cross bar. I'm at max weight on this oem rack and not liking it.

I may see if I can find Thule crossbars ASAP while out on the road.

Going to put a bunge cord over the front to see if that's helps the bouncing and will post pics of the thule crossbars if I find them ASAP.
Well, that should not happen...maybe a loose bolt? Instead of a bungee I would suggest a non-elastic strap.....

Quick Reply: Need input on Roof Boxes