My First test drive of Techpack RDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My First test drive of Techpack RDX

So i finally got around to test driving the RDX today. I wont go into too much detail as I didnt experience anything drastically different from what ive read on this forum.

Turbo lag is more noticable than I anticipated. Nothing bad, but definetely noticeable off the line and until the boost hits. Less noticable when driving leisurely though, and more pronounced with aggressive driving. When the boost hits, the car pulls with good power...quite peppy with the S mode and manually clicking shifts and holding gears when desired.

Interior has typical high quality materials, and the fit and finish is nice. Gauges and displays are impressive.

Stereo did not blow me away, considering that its part of a $4k package.

Control OVERLOAD in this car. Its the first time ive gotten into a new car and not be able to figure out how to operate the more advanced features by the end of the test drive. I would have crashed if I tried to learn the controls while driving. Mind you Im an electronics interface designer/evaluator so Id like to think these things would come more intuitively to me but this car def. requires a study of the manual. At times I wished I could just tap the LCD, but the RDX uses the big input knob.

Looks: the frontside of the headlight area didnt appeal to me as I thought it would, its a bit too angular/pointy up there near the bumper, but from head on, it looks better.

Overall: its a different acura for sure, it doesnt give off a luxurious feel (like the mdx,rl,tl), instead its a more raw, sporty vibe, and IM sure the suspension tuning and 18" wheels add to the stiff ride quality. The window rattles and interior squeeks were disappointing on a new $38k vehicle...id say the stiff suspension was the culprit.

Conclusion?
Im not as gungho on the RDX after the test drive, which is disappointing as I thought Id be ready to pull the trigger. The look of the exterior is beautiful with only a couple styling exceptions. Ill probably read more of your experiences to decide if I go for the RDX. One things for sure, you RDX owners def have a sharp car with one of the coolest interiors.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just test drove the RDX today too. I was very impressed. I think for $38k you get a lot for your money. I test drove an x3 about a couple months ago and would definitely go for the RDX when the time is right.

I guess there are different groups of buyers. I'm one not looking for perfection around every corner of the vehicle. If I did, I could find many more things going wrong for the x3 or the rx350. I guess its a preference thing, but I think the RDX is a nice buy.

Oh yeah, we got to fool around with the voice controls on the car. AWESOME! We changed everything from the XM channels to the temperature and even told the navigation where to route us. Definitely the best navigation we have experienced yet (and I have a lexus nav in my current car).

ghost