Infiniti EX35 coming....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
i never really realized how important towing was to alot of people when purchasing cars like these.....to think that car cant tow anything, not even 1k lbs.....i dunno, the glass is getting emptier and emptier with the EX.
Towing is not important to most of us - but being able to carry a bike is. Afterall, most look at this class of vehicle because of an active lifestyle. So, what the heck is the point of any kind of wagon-like vehicle if you can't even carry your bike in it?

IMO, if you don't like the turbo in the RDX, buy an RL or TL and mount a hitch on it.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't know that about the EX and towing. I'm having a hitch put on my RDX tomorrow, just to hold bikes as darth suggested. Even if an aftermarket manufacturer produced a hitch for the EX, I'd be concerned about a dealer seeing it when it's in the shop for a drivetrain problem and having my warranty ignored.

If the EX was anything like the RDX in terms of utility, I would have seriously considered it. But it is devoid of utility - a G-series wagon would have more.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:52 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by darth62
Towing is not important to most of us - but being able to carry a bike is. Afterall, most look at this class of vehicle because of an active lifestyle. So, what the heck is the point of any kind of wagon-like vehicle if you can't even carry your bike in it?

IMO, if you don't like the turbo in the RDX, buy an RL or TL and mount a hitch on it.
i think u misread or misconstrued my post.

i wasnt knocking the you, or the RDX. I was commenting on how towing and/or hauling IS AN IMPORTANT FACTOR in vehicles of this nature. And, how i didnt seem to consider something like towing capacity UNTIl i started to shop for cars like this. it is important.....and another KNOCK to the EX.

i love my rdx....who said anything about not liking the turbo ?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Cruisin'

My take...

I've been HEAVILY looking at the RDX/Tech and the EX35...and whipsawing back and forth. I am an avid mountain biker, and carry a bike or bikes up top on my Thule rack every week. I currently have a Pilot with a Thule rack up top, and have previously racked Accords and Saabs.

After driving both back to back this weekend, I am leaning towards the EX for the following reasons:
- That very audible "whirr" as the turbo spins up every time seems like it will get annoying
- RDX is much noisier inside the cabin while driving
- RDX is a much stiffer/harsher ride. I understand that it is tuned differently for the sport handling, but it IS much harsher than the EX.
- Minor turbo lag vs. the pickup of the EX's V6
- I don't like the nav interface - no more touchscreen like my current Pilot, and that big knob seems a bit too much.

That said, the seats are better and it's bigger and has more utility. My bikes would rack much easier. I'd get the EX with roof rails and rack that with their crossbars or my Thule stuff, so that's not a concern.

I'm not dissing the RDX, because I like it and want to like it better. The Carbon Bronze Pearl/Taupe combo rocks. I just think the EX is a bit more luxurious, along with also being sporty.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by waltaz
I've been HEAVILY looking at the RDX/Tech and the EX35...and whipsawing back and forth.
I'm in the same boat. Can't decide. I'm coming out of a TL, so I actually prefer the ride of the RDX over the EX. It's firm and I feel more connected to the road. The EX feels a little numb, by comparison, if that makes sense. As for the engine, like you, I prefer the EX. There's no comparison on size, but I don't need much room. I'm single and I'd have the back seats down 90% of the time.

Blarg!

Although, deciding between two sweet rides like these....life....she could be worse, right?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Saw it at the car show in Ft. Worth. Front seat kicks ass. Rear seat sucks. Pretty much as discussed. I think the G35 sedan has a bigger back seat.

Definitely not for those with kids in car seats.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by MMike1981
i think u misread or misconstrued my post.

i wasnt knocking the you, or the RDX. I was commenting on how towing and/or hauling IS AN IMPORTANT FACTOR in vehicles of this nature. And, how i didnt seem to consider something like towing capacity UNTIl i started to shop for cars like this. it is important.....and another KNOCK to the EX.

i love my rdx....who said anything about not liking the turbo ?
Actually, it was you who misread my post. I certainly didn't think you were knocking me or the RDX. I didn't see a hint in that direction in your post. I was just pointing out that most of us are interested in tow hitches for bike racks, not actual towing.

And, I wasn't directing that comment about the turbo drivetrain at you personally. I just mean that anybody who didn't like a turbo would be better off with a V6 sedan that can take a hitch rather than the EX35.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Not an Ashtray

I've been HEAVILY looking at the RDX/Tech and the EX35...and whipsawing back and forth. I am an avid mountain biker, and carry a bike or bikes up top on my Thule rack every week. I currently have a Pilot with a Thule rack up top, and have previously racked Accords and Saabs.

After driving both back to back this weekend, I am leaning towards the EX for the following reasons:
- That very audible "whirr" as the turbo spins up every time seems like it will get annoying
- RDX is much noisier inside the cabin while driving
- RDX is a much stiffer/harsher ride. I understand that it is tuned differently for the sport handling, but it IS much harsher than the EX.
- Minor turbo lag vs. the pickup of the EX's V6
- I don't like the nav interface - no more touchscreen like my current Pilot, and that big knob seems a bit too much.

That said, the seats are better and it's bigger and has more utility. My bikes would rack much easier. I'd get the EX with roof rails and rack that with their crossbars or my Thule stuff, so that's not a concern.

I'm not dissing the RDX, because I like it and want to like it better. The Carbon Bronze Pearl/Taupe combo rocks. I just think the EX is a bit more luxurious, along with also being sporty.

I'm a biker too. And, to be honest, I'd hesitate to go in that direction. Roof racks are OK, but a top heavy vehicle will get ungainly real fast with bikes on the roof. Also, raising a muddy mountain bike up and putting on your roof is a bit of a pain.

In all honesty, if you were you, I'd just go get one of the RL's before the MMC comes out. Then, I'd put a tow hitch on it and mount my bikes that way.

Or, if you don't like the ride of the RDX and the turbo (can't say I blame you on either issue), I'd look at a Murano or RAV4 V6.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by darth62
I'm a biker too. And, to be honest, I'd hesitate to go in that direction. Roof racks are OK, but a top heavy vehicle will get ungainly real fast with bikes on the roof. Also, raising a muddy mountain bike up and putting on your roof is a bit of a pain.

In all honesty, if you were you, I'd just go get one of the RL's before the MMC comes out. Then, I'd put a tow hitch on it and mount my bikes that way.

Or, if you don't like the ride of the RDX and the turbo (can't say I blame you on either issue), I'd look at a Murano or RAV4 V6.
Damn...! I was looking for you to sway me back!

I've been hoisting bikes onto my Pilot roof rack for 2+ years, so if I can get them up there, the EX35 or RDX will be a piece of cake. And I like a bike up top far better than on the back. It doesn't make my Pilot feel top heavy, and I've carried three bikes at a time, so I don't think the EX35 or RDX will feel any different - their center of gravity is lower.

What's the "MMC"?

I'm not a Murano fan, though I haven't seen nor looked at the new one, and no way on the RAV4.

I'm telling you all, I went yesterday and drove the E35 first, then went to drive the RDX and I was actually excited for the RDX and thinking I was going to go that way for the sportiness factor and extra room. When I got into the RDX, and settled into that excellent seat, I was thinking "this is it." But as I drove it a bit, those little things I mentioned stacked up and I know they would bother me day in and day out. Sportiness and room aside...

Jeezus...
Old 03-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Not an Ashtray

Damn...! I was looking for you to sway me back!

I've been hoisting bikes onto my Pilot roof rack for 2+ years, so if I can get them up there, the EX35 or RDX will be a piece of cake. And I like a bike up top far better than on the back. It doesn't make my Pilot feel top heavy, and I've carried three bikes at a time, so I don't think the EX35 or RDX will feel any different - their center of gravity is lower.

What's the "MMC"?

I'm not a Murano fan, though I haven't seen nor looked at the new one, and no way on the RAV4.

I'm telling you all, I went yesterday and drove the E35 first, then went to drive the RDX and I was actually excited for the RDX and thinking I was going to go that way for the sportiness factor and extra room. When I got into the RDX, and settled into that excellent seat, I was thinking "this is it." But as I drove it a bit, those little things I mentioned stacked up and I know they would bother me day in and day out. Sportiness and room aside...

Jeezus...
Minor Model Change. The RL has some signficant cosmetic changes, a larger engine, and additional features coming in just a month. So, the 2008 RL is on dealer lots at ridiculous discounts right now.

I'd love to sway you back, but truth be told, your critcisms are all valid.

That is the problem with this website - we're enthusiasts not fanboys. You're just not going to get a good sales job here. Most of the guys who post here are too damn balanced.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Burning Brakes

If you don't need the backseat, but need the flat roof, get the EX.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Tired of seing people cant make up their minds on buying cars... the more you read this threat the more you will get confused lol...

there are different kinds of buyer, one looks for style over quality and comfort, other look for safety over style... all cars are different so you just need to know what kind of buyer are you. Do you go for style? or safety? or quality... then use consumerreport or jdpower to compare the quality ratings.. i looked for style and and i liked RDX exterior so no matter what they say about RDX it dont matter to me coz i loved my car!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
The EX35 and RDX are simply not in the same utility class.

Even Infinity recognizes this as their ads call the EX a Personal Luxury Cross-over. The family utility is just not there.

I see the EX appealing to single or DINK uptown hipsters. It is fashion over function.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:44 AM
3rd Gear

My neighbor across the street has an EX. It may have better performance the RDX but the exterior design IMO is not as nice as the RDX.