Infiniti EX35 coming....

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Don't jive my 3.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove an EX last week, I was shocked at how small it is, the RDX is much larger. what I can't figure out is how they have the balls to ask 45K for that thing. when you look at it, its really just a G35 wagon. I do how ever like the feel of the V6 over the RDX's turbo.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by MMike1981
From edmunds official review:

From Edmunds official review:

The good feelings continue into the cabin, where the EX35 has a distinctive dash design that flows around the driver in soft waves, along with nicely shaped front seats. In basic spec, the cockpit has all the pluses of the G35's interior, including solid ergonomics and impressive technology. The interior materials aren't going to win any awards for quality, but if you check off the Luxe Elite Package, Infiniti will upholster the cabin in higher-quality leather that truly delivers on the promise of this SUV's premium branding -- if we had it our way, this stuff would be standard. The other option that will draw your attention is the Around View Monitor. An enhancement on traditional back-up cameras, the AVM pieces together images from four cameras mounted around the perimeter of the EX to provide an overhead, 360-degree view.

If there's anything not to like about the 2008 Infiniti EX35, it's the small rear seat and cargo areas. Compared to rivals like the Acura RDX, BMW X3 and Land Rover LR2, it has anywhere from 7 to 9 fewer inches of rear legroom. It's a similar story in regards to luggage capacity, as the Infiniti's hold is little more than half the size of the X3's. For shoppers who require genuine utility in a small luxury SUV, the EX is unlikely to fit the bill. The EX is also a questionable value proposition for anyone focused on practicality, given that its price tag extends well into the $40Ks when fully optioned.

our words and assumptions, in my opinion, were right on par.

40K??? I saw one is the show room at 47K I was like WTF no SUV that size is worth 47K it doesn't even have auto rain wipers and head light washers at that price. it was jacked that high with rear DVD. you can still gat an RDX at 36K and ad the DVD to push to maybe 38K for about 9K less. you're not getting anything all the mind blowing for 9k more.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:53 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I just question the niche infiniti is going for...i think once u get in the 40's, people would be more apt to buy into the german brands than a Nissan/Infiniti, especially a rebaged/reworked G35 with no back seat & no cargo....no thanks....of course this thing will probably handle better...thats because its a CAR lol
Old 01-15-2008, 10:00 AM
08 PMM/Black Tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Set, match, sold. We took a second look at both cars. The cargo and back seats beat out the techno package on the EX. We'll pick up our RDX this coming weekend
Old 01-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cFoo
Set, match, sold. We took a second look at both cars. The cargo and back seats beat out the techno package on the EX. We'll pick up our RDX this coming weekend
cFoo congrats on the new RDX. I haven't witnessed the tech package in the EX35. Is it better than the RDX? I find that hard believe knowing that Honda/Acura has some of the best nav systems in the world.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:04 PM
08 PMM/Black Tech

There's no doubt the Acura Navigation system is better. However, these are things that I personally think are better on the Infiniti:
- backup camera, with guide lines.
- lane departure warnings. It's pretty cool. I don't know if it'll be useful though. I can see some people will find it a nuisance.
- touch screen navigation, it would have been sweet if touch screen and nob are both available on the RDX.
- keyless access and starting - I'm pretty disappointed the RDX doesn't even have an engine start button. Honda has the technology. It's on my 2002 S2000!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cFoo
There's no doubt the Acura Navigation system is better. However, these are things that I personally think are better on the Infiniti:
- lane departure warnings. It's pretty cool. I don't know if it'll be useful though. I can see some people will find it a nuisance.
- touch screen navigation, it would have been sweet if touch screen and nob are both available on the RDX.
- keyless access and starting - I'm pretty disappointed the RDX doesn't even have an engine start button. Honda has the technology. It's on my 2002 S2000!
Ahh ok I see what you mean now. Yeah those are nice to haves but not necessary. I have to be honest that I don't understand all the rage around keyless engine start. Are we getting that lazy now that people can't muster up the energy to turn the key in their ignition for the 2.2 seconds it takes? I definitely would not pay anymore money for that feature no matter what the car was. But to each their own I guess.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Really, Infiniti, Volvo....Lane Departure Warning??

Put down the #$%! phone, and DRIVE YOUR CAR!!
Old 01-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't see the point of the ex35. It offers little to no utility over it's sedan brethren as the g35 does have AWD, more legroom and a decent trunk. It's just a heavier g35? (shrugs and scratches head)
Old 01-15-2008, 06:38 PM
08 PMM/Black Tech

I don't get it either. We were sold from the press releases but when you see it in person it's no CUV. It's a wagon, heck, it may not even qualify as that. There are larger wagons on the market.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
haha maybe the ex35 should be a two door two seater!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Intermediate

Agreed, but the funny thing is the first 2 things need the "technology package" as well as a Nav package, so that's about $4100 total. As of yet, the dealers in my area only had one outfitted with the Tech package. Most were coming with only the Nav.

I had a G35 before my RDX and whenever Infiniti would give me a loaner it always had that remote button start. I guess I'm old fashioned but I really was never a fan. I'm glad the RDX has a good ole' key that you have to turn.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Race Director

Very disappointed in the EX35 cause it's smaller and less utility than the RDX. The RDX could've been perfect with the EX35's engine, the V6 3.5 with 297 hp. wishful thinking.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Radec
Agreed, but the funny thing is the first 2 things need the "technology package" as well as a Nav package, so that's about $4100 total. As of yet, the dealers in my area only had one outfitted with the Tech package. Most were coming with only the Nav.

I had a G35 before my RDX and whenever Infiniti would give me a loaner it always had that remote button start. I guess I'm old fashioned but I really was never a fan. I'm glad the RDX has a good ole' key that you have to turn.
Hey Radec, you should come to C/S, the Infiniti dealer here loads them all up w/ options. I'd like one w/ AWD & not much else. Prob. never see the price of one here. Vehicle wouldn't be a problem w/ me for hauling stuff size, just the price!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMike1981
From edmunds official review:

From Edmunds official review:

The good feelings continue into the cabin, where the EX35 has a distinctive dash design that flows around the driver in soft waves, along with nicely shaped front seats. In basic spec, the cockpit has all the pluses of the G35's interior, including solid ergonomics and impressive technology. The interior materials aren't going to win any awards for quality, but if you check off the Luxe Elite Package, Infiniti will upholster the cabin in higher-quality leather that truly delivers on the promise of this SUV's premium branding -- if we had it our way, this stuff would be standard. The other option that will draw your attention is the Around View Monitor. An enhancement on traditional back-up cameras, the AVM pieces together images from four cameras mounted around the perimeter of the EX to provide an overhead, 360-degree view.

If there's anything not to like about the 2008 Infiniti EX35, it's the small rear seat and cargo areas. Compared to rivals like the Acura RDX, BMW X3 and Land Rover LR2, it has anywhere from 7 to 9 fewer inches of rear legroom. It's a similar story in regards to luggage capacity, as the Infiniti's hold is little more than half the size of the X3's. For shoppers who require genuine utility in a small luxury SUV, the EX is unlikely to fit the bill. The EX is also a questionable value proposition for anyone focused on practicality, given that its price tag extends well into the $40Ks when fully optioned.

our words and assumptions, in my opinion, were right on par.
Like I said, the EX is NOT an SUV anymore than a golf cart is an SUV. The design decision - slapping "SUV" on a vehicle the size of a MG coupe - makes no sense. There is no demographic for this. It's a dumb decision but a very good company.

And why do you need a backup, 360 camera on a vehicle the size of a toy car? The EX35 is laughable. The whole thing is like some kind of joke.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Intermediate

Hey Radec, you should come to C/S, the Infiniti dealer here loads them all up w/ options. I'd like one w/ AWD & not much else. Prob. never see the price of one here. Vehicle wouldn't be a problem w/ me for hauling stuff size, just the price!
I would have had no problem driving to CS to pick up a car, but even looking at the EX's they had here I knew it wasn't for me. It was REALLY fun to drive, but definitely lacked the utility I was after (man, was it small behind the drivers' seat!!) Trust me though, you will not see the EX in the "Cars you have smoked thread" anytime soon though.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Banned

Was following one(EX) on Saturday. Damn, was surprised at how small is was!! It's almost like a G35 hatchback, lol!
Old 01-21-2008, 01:40 PM
G&V
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ikko
Was following one(EX) on Saturday. Damn, was surprised at how small is was!! It's almost like a G35 hatchback, lol!
Granted my glimpse was from the rear 3/4 as it was driving away...

... but I found the EX looked like a small aerodynamic hearse. UUUUGLY! (and this coming from a guy that loves the look of the G Coupe and FX)
Old 01-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Radec
I would have had no problem driving to CS to pick up a car, but even looking at the EX's they had here I knew it wasn't for me. It was REALLY fun to drive, but definitely lacked the utility I was after (man, was it small behind the drivers' seat!!) Trust me though, you will not see the EX in the "Cars you have smoked thread" anytime soon though.
Yea, I haven't got to drive one yet, but not that interested w/ that SMALL back seat & rear cargo area. I could put up w/ those, but not that price!! The RDX is way better in all those areas.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw an one earlier today in a parking lot and had a chance to get a good look. Not too bad overall. Same basic shape as the RDX and many others. Just didn't quite have it. Black plastic skirting looked bad. Wheels looked small and skinny. It is much smaller than the RDX. I wish I would have had my camera because I parked right next to this one. The FX looks much more distinctive and better overall.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:09 AM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

in November,ive recieved a VIP Pass from Infiniti to go at the EX launch in Montreal.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Originally Posted by Ikko
It IS a G35 hatchback !
Old 01-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Race Director

disappointing thing was there was too much hype with it and i was smitten with the EX35 until i saw it. i thought based on the pics that it would be the same size as the RDX. i'm thinking that the nissan rogue is even bigger.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:13 PM
4th Gear

"January was the first full month of sales for the all-new EX crossover, of which 690 units were sold."

Would have thought they would sell more in the first full month, but what do I know.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Cool Review

Infiniti EX35's Tight but the Engine is Whoa
Infiniti's 2008 EX35 is an annoying little conveyance. It is fitted with a sweet engine and abundant technology, but also a disappointing transmission and jittery suspension — all wrapped in a package too tight for most people.

It's a small, luxury, crossover SUV, a subsegment that's hot at the moment. Infiniti says it competes with Acura RDX, BMW X3, Lexus RX.

EX35's closest mechanical relative is the Infiniti G coupe. EX is not Infiniti's version of parent Nissan's Rogue; entirely different chassis and hardware.

The last vehicle Nissan sold that felt this cramped was the F10 of the 1970s and '80s, when the company went by the name Datsun in the USA.

The EX35's measurements are larger, but the "let-me-outta-here" feeling is about the same. While there's plenty of front legroom, there's very little in back. Interior width is compromised, and headroom is on the shy side.

Infiniti's response: baloney.

The fit is trim, Infiniti says, because it's supposed to be coupelike, and coupes tend toward a tailored fit.

It's aimed mainly at people with no kids, so a tight back seat is a non-issue. Instead, it's for people who like two-door cars with sleek rooflines but need more space and utility.

Yes, but. In two weeks of suburban driving in the guise of a coupe person, not looking to tote kids or much else, the EX never was wholly pleasant.

Here's what stood out, plus and minus, in the Journey test car, a mega-optioned, high-end all-wheel-drive:

•Engine. The Nissan/Infiniti 3.5-liter V-6 is a honey, derived from the oh-boy powerplant of Nissan's 350Z sports car.

In the EX, it's tuned for decent low-speed power, so you don't feel deprived in sluggish traffic. It also delivers explosive performance when the engine builds speed. Merging, passing and having fun are just a push away.

It's such a delight that you'll probably have your foot heavily on the throttle often. If so, mileage easily falls below the 16 mpg city rating on the window sticker. You pay to play.

Nissan
The well-done interior offers handy controls.

•Interior furnishings. Nicely done. Big change from a few years ago when you bought an Infiniti despite the cheap plastic and subpar controls.

•Steering. Feels good, plus the turning circle is unusually tight.

•Suspension. Jiggled, joggled and jittered almost all the time. It was well beyond what's necessary for crisp handling (which it had).

Infiniti disagrees completely. Says EX is the smoothest-riding Infiniti and scored well in prelaunch consumer research. The test EX must have been from a different planet.

•Transmission. It upshifted fine but paused too long on hard-throttle downshifts. Took a lot of the fun out of driving in the manner encouraged by the lovely, lively V-6.

So use the manual-shift mode, for cryin' out loud, Infiniti says.

Beyond those items, the vehicle's optional technology packages were salient, not always in a good way. The automaker says that likely EX buyers love tech, and you surely get as much as you can stand in the EX, if you care to pay extra.

For instance:

The backup camera is among the best and brightest. It furnishes two sets of backup lines on the screen. One tells you where straight back is. The other angles left or right as you steer, to show where you're actually pointing. Color zones on the lines tell how close to clobbering something you are.

You also can get an "around-view monitor." Cameras show what's ahead, and to the sides when backing. Reveals obstacles such as the short post by the front fender that — look out! — will wreck your fender and wheel if you don't adjust your steering PDQ. Useful. Nicely executed.

A so-called lane departure warning (LDW) beeps if its senses you are drifting out of your traffic lane instead of changing lanes or turning. Could be useful on long highway runs, where drowsiness is an issue. But miserably aggravating most of the time because it requires you to drive straighter and truer than almost anybody does. You can turn it off, if you can find the under-dash switch.

Lane departure prevention (LDP) goes a step further. It applies brakes selectively to aim you back into the lane if you stray. Can be startling until you get used to it.

Automakers believe LDW and LDP, the latter pioneered by Infiniti, are necessary if we ever get to automated highways. Combined with other technologies, they'll help the car drive itself, so people can do safely what they already do unsafely — read the paper, apply makeup, talk on the phone.

SmartShield paint is supposed to "heal" swirl marks and small scratches. The feature wasn't tested.

The test car's tailgate failed to consistently raise fully, drifting up just far enough to scalp people. No groundswell of complaints, Infiniti says, suggesting the test car had an individual flaw.

If you can stand the coffin fit and jiggly ride, the vehicle's well-done controls and gauges, combined with a besotting engine and tight handling, might be enough to keep the EX on your list.

ABOUT THE INFINITI EX35

•What is it? Small, four-door, crossover SUV new to Infiniti line. Available with rear-wheel drive (RWD) or all-wheel drive (AWD), in base or up-level Journey versions. Manufactured at Tochigi, Japan.

•How soon? Since December.

•How much? Base, RWD model starts at $32,015, including $715 destination charge. High-end Journey AWD starts at $36,965.

Test vehicle, Journey AWD, with more options than anybody really needs, was $45,015.

Nissan
EX35 features a coat hook on the headrest.

Expect to pay full sticker price, online car-shopping sites say.

•What's the drivetrain? 3.5-liter V-6 rated 297 horsepower at 6,800 rpm, 253 pounds-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm, five-speed automatic transmission with manual-shift mode, traction control. Optional AWD sends up to 50% of power to front wheels as needed.

•What's the safety gear? Belts; front- and side-impact bags for front seats; front and rear head-curtain bags; anti-skid control; anti-lock brakes.

•What's the rest? Standard: automatic climate control, AM/FM/CD stereo with input jack and XM satellite radio; power steering, brakes, locks, windows, seats, mirrors; remote-control locks with proximity key; trip computer; cruise control; fog lights.

Journey, which Infiniti says most will buy, also has: moon roof, leather, power-folding second-row seats, auto-dimming mirror; auto on-off headlights.

•How big? 182.3 inches long, 71 inches wide, 62.6 inches tall with roof rails; 110.2-inch wheelbase. Passenger space: 107.1 cubic feet. Cargo space: 18.6 cubic feet behind rear seat, 47.4 cubic feet with second row folded.

Weight: 3,752 to 3,953 pounds, varies by model. Rated to carry 948 pounds (base model) or 1,076 pounds (Journey) of people and cargo. Turning circle diameter is listed as 36 feet (AWD) or 34.8 feet (RWD).

•How thirsty? Rated 17 miles per gallon in town, 24 on the highway, 19 combined equipped with RWD, 16/23/19 with AWD. AWD test car's trip computer showed 14.2 in vigorous suburban driving.

Fuel tank is 20 gallons; premium recommended. Lower octane OK, but 3% power loss, Infiniti says.

•Overall: Cramped and jiggly. Not for robust people or those with robust needs. Great engine.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Racer

^^^ Still not impressed at all....
Old 02-20-2008, 01:56 PM
08 RDX Tech Silver/Ebony

Recall Alert: 2009 Nissan Murano, 2008 Infiniti EX35

Even more to be not impressed with!

Kicking Tires -- Recall Alert: 2009 Nissan Murano, 2008 Infiniti EX35

Two major new products from Nissan are being recalled due to a software glitch that could cause passenger airbags to fail during a crash.

The recall affects 11,511 2009 Nissan Muranos, which went on sale just this month, and 4,854 2008 Infiniti EX35s, which went on sale in late 2007. Nissan will reprogram the software to fix the problem; it should be an easy fix to a potentially dangerous problem.

First-year models often have growing pains with problems like this, but sometimes news of a recall can sway potential buyers of a new model.

Owners can contact Infiniti at 1-800-662-6200 and Nissan at 1-800-647-7261 for more information.

Nissan Recalls Murano, Infiniti SUVs for Airbag (Bloomberg)
Old 02-20-2008, 03:43 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs down nissan we have a problem

sucks to be them^^^ too bad they don't have honda reliability huh?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:04 AM
2nd Gear

I saw an infiniti EX as well yesterday. From the front I thought it was a Hyundai or Kia or something... from the back, it's the total ugly tribeca.. so I got closer and thought what the hell it was... turns out it was an infiniti EX. The exterior looked good in magazines last year, but in reality it's just 1*.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VeNeNo
sucks to be them^^^ too bad they don't have honda reliability huh?
I know, don't you just hate it when they don't have Honda reliability?!?

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/watch-out-yall-stocks-holder-175560/
Old 03-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Racer

The April 2008 issue of Car & Driver magazine has a review of the EX35. They kept commenting on how small it was (several inches less length than a G35). They say it is too small to be considered a SUV or station wagon, so it is really a "hatchback", but that label is the kiss of death in the USA car market. The loaded price of $46K (with the upgraded stereo and the nav system) doesn't make a lot of sense vs. the competition, either.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I was excited to see the EX, until I saw it at the auto show. That thing is minute! I would have considered it vs. the RDX if it was RDX-sized... instead the Murano was the natural competitor.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnny99
The April 2008 issue of Car & Driver magazine has a review of the EX35. They kept commenting on how small it was (several inches less length than a G35). They say it is too small to be considered a SUV or station wagon, so it is really a "hatchback", but that label is the kiss of death in the USA car market. The loaded price of $46K (with the upgraded stereo and the nav system) doesn't make a lot of sense vs. the competition, either.

That was my post, a few pages earlier. I said the same thing---this vehicle doesn't make sense. There is no natural target demographic. This is the first huge mistake in many years by Nissan/Infiniti. I don't understand why they didn't make a larger vehicle to compete with the RDX and Rav4. Instead they designed a car for which there is no natural market, maybe thinking they could avoid competition. They'll avoid it, alright. They'll also "avoid" customers.

This vehicle is too ridiculously small for a family, has too little utility to be a "utility" vehicle, and anyone in the market for a small sports car isn't looking for a hatchback. The EX is the dumbest decision I've seen by a car maker since the hideous Buick Aztek and before that the AMC Pacer.

I give the EX maybe two model years before it's discontinued or massively redesigned to the size of the RDX, RAV4 and X3.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ThePlainsman
That was my post, a few pages earlier. I said the same thing---this vehicle doesn't make sense. There is no natural target demographic. This is the first huge mistake in many years by Nissan/Infiniti. I don't understand why they didn't make a larger vehicle to compete with the RDX and Rav4.
They already have a larger vehicle: the FX. If the FX is too expensive for a customer, they also have the Murano. A bigger EX would compete with these 2 existing products, which is not a good idea. The FX may look bigger than the RDX on the outside, but interior space is about the same.

There probably is a market for an expensive small hatchback-style vehicle: young upscale families with very young kids, especially in urban environments where parallel parking is the norm. They'll have car seats mounted full-time in the back seats so no adults will ever sit back there.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:59 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
yea but i doubt u could fit a carseat in an ex and still put an average adult up front...maybe it was designed for little people?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:11 AM
Meat Popsicle

I see the Infiniti as a tempting car for empty nest'ers that have owned a lux suv in the past.
It has some usable utility, a very nice power train, and a very nicely finished interior, not as pricy as an R class Benz, slicker looking than the Acura or Lexus RX.

I expect to see lots of 50 year old women in this baby.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by lilfeat
I see the Infiniti as a tempting car for empty nest'ers that have owned a lux suv in the past.
It has some usable utility, a very nice power train, and a very nicely finished interior, not as pricy as an R class Benz, slicker looking than the Acura or Lexus RX.

I expect to see lots of 50 year old women in this baby.
Middle-aged women is the primary demographic for the Lexus RX, but I can see the Infinity EX taking some of that market.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Not an Ashtray

I test drove the EX35 this weekend.

Some fun facts: Not tow rated. That may not seem a big deal for those of you who don't plan to tow. BUT, if like me, you are biker, a tow hitch is a nice thing for mounting a carier. Not only does Infiniti not have a hitch for the EX35, there isn't one available from any aftermarket vendor that I know of.

No problem, you say? Why not just carry the bike inside? Because, the damn EX35 is so small inside that you can't even fit the bloody bike in without taking off the front tire!

Visability out the rear is horrible - worse than any other vehcile I've ever been in.

The EX35 is the classic styling statement. It is a modern day Subaru Brat, storage space in the back that is so small that is is almost not worth having at all.

Honestly, I'd go for an Audi A3 or a BMW 3 series wagon before the EX.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:07 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i never really realized how important towing was to alot of people when purchasing cars like these.....to think that car cant tow anything, not even 1k lbs.....i dunno, the glass is getting emptier and emptier with the EX.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
EX looks exactly the same as Nissan Rouge LOL... I will still choose RDX over EX coz RDX doesnt have resemblance from CRV in regards to exterior style..

Quick Reply: Infiniti EX35 coming....