How does a 2nd Gen RDX compare to a 1st Gen RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 02:38 PM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
How does a 2nd Gen RDX compare to a 1st Gen RDX?

In terms of performance, ride, handling, features & gas mileage. How does the 3.5 V-6 stack up against the 2.3 Turbo?
Old 08-15-2019, 03:03 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,510 Likes on 1,178 Posts
Other than the name and similar size, the 1st Gen really doesn't have that much in common with the 2nd Gen. The 2nd Gen RDX is closer to the 3rd gen +14 MDX in ride, handling, features, and gas mileage. The 1st Gen RDX would be closer to the 3rd Gen RDX with the turbo, sh-awd, and sporty handling (the 3rd Gen RDX wins on MPGs and features).

The 2nd gen RDX kicked the snot out of the 1st Gen RDX in sales. The 3.5L V-6 with 6AT wrapped in a comfy package was what folks were looking for compared to stiff ride and turbo lag 1st Gen. The 2nd Gen RDX was way too soft for me and I kept my 08 RDX to see if Acura would get back to its sporty roots and they did. Just waiting to see if they bring out a 3rd Gen Type-S RDX before giving up my 1st Gen with +165,000 miles on her.

Last edited by mrgold35; 08-15-2019 at 03:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kevin2m4 (08-26-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 06:45 PM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

If you lined up those 2 RDXs side by side, which one would win in a 0-60 mph or 1/8 mile?
If i lined up our 08 MDX against a 2nd Gen RDX.....?

Thinking about replacing the MDX because the wife keeps scraping the right side on shit. She is short & small and the MDX hood line falls off but the front fenders are way wider than the hood. She apparently judges her distance from where her vision stops where the hood line falls off and fails to consider how damn wide the fenders are. The MDX has some other issues and thinking a smaller RDX might be better for her.
However, she HATES my 07 RDX hammer, way too stiff and hard for her. Figuring maybe a 2nd Gen RDX would be a good choice.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I've never driven a 2nd gen RDX but from what I've read, the engine is fine, no lag, and is probably as fast if not a bit faster than the 1st gen RDX. But it rides a lot softer and doesn't have SH-AWD, only the primitive AWD shared with the CR-V. So it won't handle as well. I think it has aged pretty well as they still look pretty nice, especially the MMC version with the jewel eye headlights.

That being said, the 3rd gen RDX combines everything good about the 2nd and 1st gen and adds a lot of new tech and luxury. Of course, it also costs a lot more now.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:46 PM
mrgold35

The 2nd Gen RDX would have smaller dimensions compared to the MDX; but, it is slightly larger than the 1st Gen RDX. I'm thinking the +16 RDX Adv has front and rear parking sensors that can alert you if you get too close to something. Don't know if the sensors can detect low curbs if you parallel park?

I just purchased a 19 MDX sh-sh-awd Adv with front and rear sensors and 360 degree cameras. The wife (4'11") still hit the front right on a curb with the Black 20" Berlina rims. I was able to use a black gloss touch-up pen on the rim to hide it. It just might be one of those thing you have to deal with like I'm doing now.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 696 Likes on 538 Posts
1st is better than 2nd.
The following 2 users liked this post by russianDude:
kevin2m4 (08-26-2019), Midnight Mystery (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 03:28 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
@RDX10 You might be able to help here.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 879 Likes on 672 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
@RDX10 You might be able to help here.
First and second gen RDX'S are like apples and oranges. The 2G couldn't possibly be more far removed from the 1G RDX.

The 1G is firm and takes corners like it's riding on rails, the SH-AWD system is also top notch vs the frankly garbage part time slip and grip system on tbe 2G RDX that cannot send more than 25% if 2013-2015 or 40% if 2016-2018 of the power to the rear wheels and only AFTER slip is detected. The 1G is incredibly capable in snow and wet weather too!

The 2G is WAY quieter than the 1G and also rides like a marshmallow (almost dangerous when taking sharp turns because it wallows so much). Absolutely hated the 2G RDX and can't think of a single redeeming factor to me. I like my vehicles sporty and the 2G RDX is a cream puff.

Yes it is more refined and in terms of features has the 1G beat pretty greatly (I.e push button start, power lift gate, cooled seats and active safety tech (if 2016+). But the 1G is overall way easier to drive so in my opinion the active safety stuff is negated (at least the blind spot detection is).

Last edited by RDX10; 08-23-2019 at 03:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX10:
Midnight Mystery (08-23-2019), mrgold35 (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 09:54 AM
mrgold35

The 2nd Gen RDX always reminded me of a V-6 powered Honda CR-V with updated styling.

There is really not much of size and sight line difference between the 2nd Gen RDX and 3rd Gen MDX. The 3rd Gen MDX is only about 2-3 inches wider and taller compared to the 2nd Gen RDX. The 3rd Gen MDX is longer than the RDX by around 10 inches to make room for the 3rd row and rear hatch space. Prices should just slightly higher for the MDX with the advantage with the 3rd Gen MDX with luxury, utility, quiet cabin, LED headlights, and handling with sh-awd. Both are are not as wide as the 2nd Gen MDX (I took out a few curbs on right hand turns in my MDX when I first upgraded from my 08 RDX).

I just love the extra space in the 2nd row and rear hatch of the MDX.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrgold35
The 2nd Gen RDX always reminded me of a V-6 powered Honda CR-V with updated styling.

There is really not much of size and sight line difference between the 2nd Gen RDX and 3rd Gen MDX. The 3rd Gen MDX is only about 2-3 inches wider and taller compared to the 2nd Gen RDX. The 3rd Gen MDX is longer than the RDX by around 10 inches to make room for the 3rd row and rear hatch space. Prices should just slightly higher for the MDX with the advantage with the 3rd Gen MDX with luxury, utility, quiet cabin, LED headlights, and handling with sh-awd. Both are are not as wide as the 2nd Gen MDX (I took out a few curbs on right hand turns in my MDX when I first upgraded from my 08 RDX).

I just love the extra space in the 2nd row and rear hatch of the MDX.
This was actually one of the reasons I sold my MDX. The 2G MDX is actually REALLY REALLY wide. Wider than a BMW X5 by like 4 inches! It made finding a suitable parking spot very difficult.

I also did actually scrape the front passenger side fender decently when I grazed the snowblower handle while parking in the garage. It's almost impossible to see the fenders because they extend a good half foot passed the hood (I actually loved that design detail of the 2G, it was so aggressive!).
Old 08-23-2019, 07:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
The 2nd Gen RDX would have smaller dimensions compared to the MDX; but, it is slightly larger than the 1st Gen RDX. I'm thinking the +16 RDX Adv has front and rear parking sensors that can alert you if you get too close to something. Don't know if the sensors can detect low curbs if you parallel park?

I just purchased a 19 MDX sh-sh-awd Adv with front and rear sensors and 360 degree cameras. The wife (4'11") still hit the front right on a curb with the Black 20" Berlina rims. I was able to use a black gloss touch-up pen on the rim to hide it. It just might be one of those thing you have to deal with like I'm doing now.
If you already got 360 deg cameras and parking sensors, I don't know what else will help.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:48 PM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Originally Posted by RDX10
This was actually one of the reasons I sold my MDX. The 2G MDX is actually REALLY REALLY wide. Wider than a BMW X5 by like 4 inches! It made finding a suitable parking spot very difficult.

I also did actually scrape the front passenger side fender decently when I grazed the snowblower handle while parking in the garage. It's almost impossible to see the fenders because they extend a good half foot passed the hood (I actually loved that design detail of the 2G, it was so aggressive!).
Yeah, our 08 MDX is actually about 1.5" to 2" wider than our full size Sierra pickup. The wide stance and aggressive looking front end are cool looking , but at the cost of being unnecessarily wide for the size of the rest of the vehicle. And it is deceivingly wide by looking at the hood from the driver's seat.
RDX10 (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 02:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AlanW
Yeah, our 08 MDX is actually about 1.5" to 2" wider than our full size Sierra pickup. The wide stance and aggressive looking front end are cool looking , but at the cost of being unnecessarily wide for the size of the rest of the vehicle. And it is deceivingly wide by looking at the hood from the driver's seat.
Crazy to think that a mid sized SUV is WIDER than a full sized pickup truck but it is! I also agree that it was unnecessarily wide because it wasn't even that spacious inside. Acura themselves called it a 4+3 setup.

I remember leaving my MDX in the driveway and taking the 08 Santa Fe all the time because of how cumbersome the MDX was. I literally got tired while driving my MDX (physically made my arms and shoulders hurt), especially when it came to maneuvering it in parking lots. I get anxiety just thinking about it. The Santa fe was only like 4 inches shorter but felt like driving a small car.
Midnight Mystery (08-27-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 03:42 PM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Exclamation

In my opinion the second generation was trash & had no balls. First time I used one as a loaner vehicle I almost totaled the thing leaving the parking lot. I told my service advisor if he ever gives me another acura without sh-awd I was going to take my money to another dealership or another advisor. All acuras should have to have sh-awd or be demoted to honda.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:46 AM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Gen 1 RDX was designed to be sporty and is the smallest of the bunch.
Gen 2 is luxury-focused.
Gen 3 is luxury-focused.

They got 2 things wrong on Gen 1: Suspension springs. Turbo drops boost way too early.

Gen 3 is quickest, then the Gen 1.

Gen 1 is the only one that's actually fun to drive, especially once the springs are replaced.

Gas mileage is ~17.5 mpg on my 2008...
ranger29 (01-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2019, 09:11 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by Tex Nomex
Gen 1 RDX was designed to be sporty and is the smallest of the bunch.
Gen 2 is luxury-focused.
Gen 3 is luxury-focused.

They got 2 things wrong on Gen 1: Suspension springs. Turbo drops boost way too early.

Gen 3 is quickest, then the Gen 1.

Gen 1 is the only one that's actually fun to drive, especially once the springs are replaced.

Gas mileage is ~17.5 mpg on my 2008...
Getting 17.5 combined mpgs was about my average before performance upgrades. I added Hondata and ETS Intercooler and that lowered the rpms for boost, raised the boost PSI, and extended it longer into the rpm range. The intercooler also added more power; especially, when temps get cold in winter (felt a increase of power with temps below 45 degrees by the butt dyno). The combo added 1-2 mpgs to my combined mileage to 18.5 to 19.5 hammering it and up to 20.5 mpg if I take it easy. I still love to hammer the RDX everytime I drive her because she drives better the harder you push the RDX. Can't say that about the 2nd Gen RDX. I would upgrade to the 3rd Gen RDX; but, the info-tainment issues and not 100% sure on the new powertrain with the 10AT with all the issues with the previous 9AT.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Cruisin'

Getting 17.5 combined mpgs was about my average before performance upgrades. I added Hondata and ETS Intercooler and that lowered the rpms for boost, raised the boost PSI, and extended it longer into the rpm range. The intercooler also added more power; especially, when temps get cold in winter (felt a increase of power with temps below 45 degrees by the butt dyno). The combo added 1-2 mpgs to my combined mileage to 18.5 to 19.5 hammering it and up to 20.5 mpg if I take it easy. I still love to hammer the RDX everytime I drive her because she drives better the harder you push the RDX. Can't say that about the 2nd Gen RDX. I would upgrade to the 3rd Gen RDX; but, the info-tainment issues and not 100% sure on the new powertrain with the 10AT with all the issues with the previous 9AT.
Wife and I were pretty excited about buying the new RDX, until we drove it. Loved how the interior looked, but hated having to do everything by touch pad. Wife hated how it drove. I hated how it drove. Even more top-heavy that a Gen 2. Bought something else within the week. So now I'm spending blood and money overhauling our existing RDX and TSX because they just drive better than just about everything else we drove - Acura, Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Kia, Lexus... Only Volvo and BMW were actual driving experience upgrades over our old Acuras....

Thinking about the Hondata ECU upgrade and simple upgrades to the turbo when it needs refreshing, just enough to remedy the stock detuning....
Old 11-04-2019, 10:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 696 Likes on 538 Posts
2nd gen rdx is completely different from 1st gen. they made it soft
Old 11-04-2019, 10:51 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by Tex Nomex
Wife and I were pretty excited about buying the new RDX, until we drove it. Loved how the interior looked, but hated having to do everything by touch pad. Wife hated how it drove. I hated how it drove. Even more top-heavy that a Gen 2. Bought something else within the week. So now I'm spending blood and money overhauling our existing RDX and TSX because they just drive better than just about everything else we drove - Acura, Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Kia, Lexus... Only Volvo and BMW were actual driving experience upgrades over our old Acuras....

Thinking about the Hondata ECU upgrade and simple upgrades to the turbo when it needs refreshing, just enough to remedy the stock detuning....
The is one thing I've noticed with my 06 TSX, 08 RDX, 11 MDX, and now my 19 MDX hybrid is I feel more and more isolated from the road and driving experience with the newer vehicles. My 06 TSX (R.I.P.) and 08 RDX feels the best when driving like they are an extension of me. I know how hard I can push the TSX/RDX and feel my environment with all my senses from head, backside, and feet. My MDXs (and even way more with my 19 MDX) can really start to feel isolated and more like a passenger along for the ride or driving a car simulator at an arcade sometimes.

The wife and I are so friggin' sad with the totalling of our 06 TSX (hit by a red light runner, no injuries) and will be equally sad to say goodbye to my 08 RDX when that day comes. Not so much to the same degree when I sell my 11 MDX Adv+Ent down the road.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
...My 06 TSX (R.I.P.) and 08 RDX feels the best when driving like they are an extension of me. I know how hard I can push the TSX/RDX and feel my environment with all my senses from head, backside, and feet. ...

The wife and I are so friggin' sad with the totalling of our 06 TSX (hit by a red light runner, no injuries) ...
Indeed 1st gen RDX drivers enjoy a full connection of senses to environment, my ears are now able to tell I've switched to the winter oil PP 0w20 by a lingering growl after any acceleration.

Sorry about your recent car loss, my wife survived a Tbone incident when she first got her license, driving an old Dodge Charger a month after buying it - was like a tank & saved her life with the impact right at the A pillar, glad to read your son has no injuries!

Always enjoying your comments, thank you for sharing your experience!
Old 11-04-2019, 07:42 PM
Null and proud of it

The is one thing I've noticed with my 06 TSX, 08 RDX, 11 MDX, and now my 19 MDX hybrid is I feel more and more isolated from the road and driving experience with the newer vehicles. My 06 TSX (R.I.P.) and 08 RDX feels the best when driving like they are an extension of me. I know how hard I can push the TSX/RDX and feel my environment with all my senses from head, backside, and feet. My MDXs (and even way more with my 19 MDX) can really start to feel isolated and more like a passenger along for the ride or driving a car simulator at an arcade sometimes.

The wife and I are so friggin' sad with the totalling of our 06 TSX (hit by a red light runner, no injuries) and will be equally sad to say goodbye to my 08 RDX when that day comes. Not so much to the same degree when I sell my 11 MDX Adv+Ent down the road.

What? When did this happen?

Old 11-04-2019, 10:19 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
What? When did this happen?

Towards the end of October and we just spent $500 getting the radiator replaced and bleeding the brake fluid. Repaired on Friday and totaled on Saturday. A other guy in a pick-up ran a red light and T-boned the TSX at the rear passenger door and deploying side/passenger airbags. My son's girlfriend got a slight concussion and she was out of track practice for a week. My son was just a little sore for a few days and back to track sooner. The TSX has been his daily driver since it was handed down to him on his 16th b-day back in 2014. The other guy was arrested on the spot because of an outstanding warrant; but, he had insurance. Almost $4900 for an 06 TSX with +165,000 miles and 2 previous accidents.

I wanted to give him the 08 RDX; but, he didn't want it (he is not a CUV fan an the avg mpgs are 8-10 mpg less than the TSX). Offered to get him a CPO 19 TLX 2.4L Aspec with 9,000 miles in Apex Blue Pearl and he turned that down. He wants an used blue 2019 Kia Optima S with 7,000 miles on the odo from a corner car lot in Santa Fe at 1/2 the cost of the TLX. I guess I'm gonna buy something other than a Honda or Acura for the first time in +28 years.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:19 PM
Null and proud of it

Towards the end of October and we just spent $500 getting the radiator replaced and bleeding the brake fluid. Repaired on Friday and totaled on Saturday. A other guy in a pick-up ran a red light and T-boned the TSX at the rear passenger door and deploying side/passenger airbags. My son's girlfriend got a slight concussion and she was out of track practice for a week. My son was just a little sore for a few days and back to track sooner. The TSX has been his daily driver since it was handed down to him on his 16th b-day back in 2014. The other guy was arrested on the spot because of an outstanding warrant; but, he had insurance. Almost $4900 for an 06 TSX with +165,000 miles and 2 previous accidents.

I wanted to give him the 08 RDX; but, he didn't want it (he is not a CUV fan an the avg mpgs are 8-10 mpg less than the TSX). Offered to get him a CPO 19 TLX 2.4L Aspec with 9,000 miles in Apex Blue Pearl and he turned that down. He wants an used blue 2019 Kia Optima S with 7,000 miles on the odo from a corner car lot in Santa Fe at 1/2 the cost of the TLX. I guess I'm gonna buy something other than a Honda or Acura for the first time in +28 years.

Poor baby... She doesn't look too hurt, though.

Glad to hear that they are ok now!

He wants a Kia Optima? As an Optima owner I wouldn't necessarily say there's any merritt in getting that over any Honda/Acura.

Sure he doesn't want an Accord? The Optima is a big car. Pushing Avalon size. Coming from a TSX, that's going to be a shock. Like going from a Civic to an RLX in terms of size.

I guess if he is comfortable driving it that's all that counts! I hear the 1.6 turbo models are fast and the steering has been vastly improved since my 2011.
mrgold35 (11-05-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 07:04 AM
Cruisin'

Really sorry to hear of your TSX's demise. Glad the kids walked away largely uninjured.

The move to distance drivers from the actual driving experience is the norm in the segment and it's a damned shame Acura has followed that path. In my view, it's been a mistake, especially since Acura is one of the few companies capable of successfully combining luxury, reliability and a satisfying performance driving experience in a single vehicle.

My TSX still drives like a slightly-less-quiet, better-handling 430LS. Been giving her lots of love lately to stretch our time together...

For out last vehicle purchase, the wife and I moved away from Acura and 'settled' for an X3. It's still athletic, not top-heavy, and the torque vectoring is quite good, but it's not 'tossable' like the '08 RDX. Even with the M suspension, there's less road feel through the steering wheel. Brakes are crazy good, though. There's no braking like German braking.

Got the RDX on jack stands as I write this. Installing new torque rods due to a factory cock-up on the lower rod's installation. Gonna baby her and try for another 5 years....
The following 2 users liked this post by Tex Nomex:
Midnight Mystery (11-06-2019), mrgold35 (11-06-2019)