Head to Head- X3 vs RDX

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head to Head- X3 vs RDX

Before buying my Carbon Bronze Tech RDX I drove the BMW-X3 on the same roads, same day, same speeds.
In my oppinion the RDX won out in the following categories:
(1) Price (5k Canadian, same options)
(2) Ride- RDX feels like it was carved out of a solid block. X3 was bumpier and not as solid.
(3) Exterior looks.
(4) Interior looks, features, simplicity of features.
(5) Power. The RDX goes like you are coming out of a catipult or sling shot. The BMW had power, but no WOW power like the RDX.
(6) Dealer knowledge. I test drove and bought in Edmonton and I am from Saskatoon. The Acura dealer in Saskatoon is both dishonest and vengefull.
The X3 won out in:
(1) It had a roof rack....that's it!

I also test drove the CX7 and the Murano. No offence, but they really do not compare. The Rav 4 with the V6 is close, but the interior is weak.
I have been driving my RDX now for 2 months, been through 3 blizzards and 2 feet of snow. Still loving it!

Rusty
Old 01-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the write-up. Good to know the RDX can handle 2' of snow.

All in all, i think the RDX has an edge in terms of price and that's a major factor when comparing the two. BMW's are very solid cars though, the problem with most germans is the electrical system. They always have problems in that area and the other little things that seem to just go out. German cars as solid as they are, seem so fragile and sensitive at times. My friend's 330ci once had the damn suspensions springs break and stab right through the wheel well.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

Pst??

Originally Posted by Bostonbr77
Before buying my Carbon Bronze Tech RDX I drove the BMW-X3 on the same roads, same day, same speeds.
In my oppinion the RDX won out in the following categories:
(1) Price (5k Canadian, same options)
(2) Ride- RDX feels like it was carved out of a solid block. X3 was bumpier and not as solid.
(3) Exterior looks.
(4) Interior looks, features, simplicity of features.
(5) Power. The RDX goes like you are coming out of a catipult or sling shot. The BMW had power, but no WOW power like the RDX.
(6) Dealer knowledge. I test drove and bought in Edmonton and I am from Saskatoon. The Acura dealer in Saskatoon is both dishonest and vengefull.
The X3 won out in:
(1) It had a roof rack....that's it!

I also test drove the CX7 and the Murano. No offence, but they really do not compare. The Rav 4 with the V6 is close, but the interior is weak.
I have been driving my RDX now for 2 months, been through 3 blizzards and 2 feet of snow. Still loving it!

Rusty
Rusty, if you bought your car in Edmonton, did you end up paying SK PST when you registered it under SK license plate?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Advanced

pst

Yes, they add the Sask PST onto every lease payment as well as the buy-out if you buy it at the end of the lease. The good news is the Sask PST is now down to 5%!

Rusty
Old 01-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

The only place I have mild disagreement is the looks - the 2007 X3 with the Sport package looks pretty good, but I like the butt of the RDX better. Did your leg rub against the side skirts on the BMW? That was a BIG deal killer for me.

Also, It sure did not feel like 260 HP in the BMW to me. Combine those two with the atitude in Los Angeles from the BMW dealers that they are doing YOU a favor selling you the car and I was gone.

I even found a CPO 2006 X3. Sport/Premium/Cold Weather/BiX/Park Distance control. 17k Mi, $41,995. (2006 X3's only have 225 HP) but it was grey with a grey interior and aluminum trim. Too milquetoast for me - felt like the inside of a coke can.

I have no regrets.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Advanced

snow ... I've wondered what that would be like to drive in :/

We had an inch a week or so ago and I was impressed with the control, but still haven't had any snow in Boston yet (not running it in, Denver!)

-mj
Old 01-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Intermediate

Rusty
I bought in saskatoon and had no problem, also less than MSRP.
Do you know something I dont? About the dealership.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts

I also test drove the CX7 and the Murano. No offence, but they really do not compare.
Rusty
They RDX and Murano are not comparable. I am looking at the RDX as a possible replacement for my 02 Maxima and the RDX feels like a smaller vehicle. (Just picked up an RDX brochure today, as a matter of fact.)

As I stated in another thread, I would get the RDX to replace my Maxima but not my Murano as the Mo has more cargo space (33 cu ft vs 28 cu ft).....and that 33 cu ft was just enough to emcompass all of our luggage for our last trip from NJ to Fl (and back).

That said the Murano is more comparable to the Lexus RX and Infiniti FX.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Rusty, thanks for the comparison! To me the X3 is utterly overpriced. It's nice but not worth THAT much money.

BTW, can you post some pics of your gorgeous carbon bronze RDX please? Also, after 2 months now, what gas mileage do you get per gallon?
Old 01-07-2007, 01:02 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 845 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
Also, It sure did not feel like 260 HP in the BMW to me.
I think the 260lb/ft of torque in the RDX really helps!
Old 01-07-2007, 06:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
The only place I have mild disagreement is the looks - the 2007 X3 with the Sport package looks pretty good, but I like the butt of the RDX better. Did your leg rub against the side skirts on the BMW? That was a BIG deal killer for me.

Also, It sure did not feel like 260 HP in the BMW to me. Combine those two with the atitude in Los Angeles from the BMW dealers that they are doing YOU a favor selling you the car and I was gone.

I even found a CPO 2006 X3. Sport/Premium/Cold Weather/BiX/Park Distance control. 17k Mi, $41,995. (2006 X3's only have 225 HP) but it was grey with a grey interior and aluminum trim. Too milquetoast for me - felt like the inside of a coke can.

I have no regrets.
I echo this.
I drove the X3 multiple times. My koolaid drinking beamer friends were espousing logic to me that goes something like this:

BMW's handel the best.
If you experienced something otherwise with the RDX
Then there is something wrong with your reality.

I give the X3 a more "posh" interior but drive for drive I prefered the RDX.

Hence the major two variables for me became reliability and price. BMW's have about average reliability which seems to fluctuate from year to year. Acura has consistently above average and very above average reliability numbers. Now consider that the X3 is $7,000 more (trim for trim) and for me the decision was obvious.

I was however rather impressed with the Mazda CX-7 but it's interior and gadgets just didn't do it for me. Nevertheless, for $32k tricked out, it is an impressive value.

I can't wait to pick up my RDX Monday

as all my beamer friends were telling me the handling must
Old 01-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
What color did you get?

Originally Posted by econman
I can't wait to pick up my RDX Monday
Congrats on your new RDX! What color did you get? Please be sure to post pics!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thexster
Rusty
I bought in saskatoon and had no problem, also less than MSRP.
Do you know something I dont? About the dealership.
HEY THEXTER

My problem with the Saskatoon dealer started with them saying that there were no carbon Bronze Tech RDX's in Western Canada and my only option was to order one from them. I didn't like the option of waiting for 3 months and I told them that. The next week on a business trip to Edmonton, you guessed it, a carbon bronze tech...I made the deal, cancelled my return flight and drove it home. The next day in Saskatoon I phoned the dealer to tell him that I found the model and color that I wanted in Edmonton and I bought it. He proceeded to berate me and treat me like I stabbed the Saskatoon dealership in the back. He also sent me a letter basically saying "thanks for nothing"! Long story, but he ticked me off! I am doing all of my services in Edmonton and they are giving me excellent treatment and service.

Rusty
Old 01-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ostrich
Rusty, thanks for the comparison! To me the X3 is utterly overpriced. It's nice but not worth THAT much money.

BTW, can you post some pics of your gorgeous carbon bronze RDX please? Also, after 2 months now, what gas mileage do you get per gallon?
Hey Ostrich, After 2 months I am getting average 12.9 litres per 100 kms. I converted that to 19 miles per US gallon. I am driving it fairly aggressively. One trip to Edmonton, 250 miles with the cruise set at 65, I was around 23 miles to the gallon. The fun of the ride to me more than compensates for the gas mileage!

Rusty
Old 01-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Instructor

HEY THEXTER

My problem with the Saskatoon dealer started with them saying that there were no carbon Bronze Tech RDX's in Western Canada and my only option was to order one from them. I didn't like the option of waiting for 3 months and I told them that. The next week on a business trip to Edmonton, you guessed it, a carbon bronze tech...I made the deal, cancelled my return flight and drove it home. The next day in Saskatoon I phoned the dealer to tell him that I found the model and color that I wanted in Edmonton and I bought it. He proceeded to berate me and treat me like I stabbed the Saskatoon dealership in the back. He also sent me a letter basically saying "thanks for nothing"! Long story, but he ticked me off! I am doing all of my services in Edmonton and they are giving me excellent treatment and service.

Rusty

I would say that guy has "issues." You possessed no moral obligation to buy the car from them.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:19 AM
3rd Gear

Another point -- The BMW X3 does not get a recomended rating by Consumer Reports due to reliability problems - that alone is enough of a difference.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Cruisin'

I have had 3 BMW's prior to buying the RDX.

The X3 is nice to drive, the steering and it fits you like a glove.

The not so good about the X3 is reliability, gas mileage, and expense to fix. Also they have updated the interior but it still has a hard plastic feel to it. The X3 is actually made by Magna Steyr in Austria I hear. It's not made by BMW.

Overall what you get with Acura is a less sparse interior, reliability, better handling (better than the X Drive by BMW), it's more fully loaded with options and gadgets. And all at a lower cost.

BMW are great cars to drive, but they are also in the shop much more and they are much more to fix when not under warranty.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Chavez77

X3 very cool, but hard data and logic prohibit it!

My first post, but have been using this forum to get some good education before making a choice between the X3 and RDX (thanks to all).

I test drove both...

Honestly, I like the X3 exterior and interior better. The X3 moonroof is just awesome and the interior controls are more subtle. For a seasoned high performance driver both are great performers, but the X3 probably edges out the RDX in most cases.

HOWEVER -- I've been doing similar research on the X3 owner forms and OMG, what horrible problems those poor bastards are dealing with (all models 04 2.5s to 07 3.0s). weird noises afer just a few thousand miles, steering problems, transmission replacements, etc. And as much as I love that moonroof, there is known problem with some of them leaking!

Another HUGE issue for me: The X3 does not have ANY crash test data. I've looked everywhere. WTF? What about the safety of German engineering? Krauts are afraid to let one go to IIHS or NHSTA to do a crash test? I know for sure that rear impact test will suck on the X3 with no active head restraits.

And more: The factory audio just sucks, and very few owners considered aftermarket. RDX tech felt like driving around in my buddy's home theatre!

FINALLY: Price. Gosh, I would like to drive the X3 home, but optioning out equivalently (RDX tech vs. 3.0i w/ options) I'd be partially fundng the Fourth Reich.

Buying my RDX this week or next.... Silver or White (not picky) Tech. Will pay invoice +/- 100 -- will do seperate thread once I can strike the deal.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:14 PM
rdxsteverino

Originally Posted by chavez77
My first post, but have been using this forum to get some good education before making a choice between the X3 and RDX (thanks to all).

I test drove both...

Honestly, I like the X3 exterior and interior better. The X3 moonroof is just awesome and the interior controls are more subtle. For a seasoned high performance driver both are great performers, but the X3 probably edges out the RDX in most cases.
Interesting and credible post. I am curious what you liked better with the X3's performance over the RDX.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:33 AM
Chavez77

Originally Posted by rdxsteverino
Interesting and credible post. I am curious what you liked better with the X3's performance over the RDX.
X3 was just a tad tighter and had slightly better acceleration at first half second of hitting accelerator. On the RDX, after first second the RDX VFT kicks in and they are at par. This is just my honest and subjective opinion. HOWEVER, none of this means anything to me really. I often drive like an old lady to save on gas and to be safer. I have mastered the art of driving my Honda Ody Minivan in such a way that my VCM (varibale cylinder management) is on almost all the time. I love driving a van on 3 cylinders!

So the fact I am not a "Seasoned performance driver" really negates my comment on performance ;-)
Old 01-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Intermediate

HEY THEXTER

Rusty
How were the prices in Edmonton, are they moving off MSRP ?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thexster
How were the prices in Edmonton, are they moving off MSRP ?
Hey Thexter, I went back and looked at my MSRP sheet in the glove box. Turned out I got the MSRP + freight price with a factory installed command start as bonus. Not great, but I am happy with the deal.

Rusty
Old 01-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Racer

The next day in Saskatoon I phoned the dealer to tell him that I found the model and color that I wanted in Edmonton and I bought it.
Why was it necessary to phone them? Just curious.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:13 PM
3rd Gear

Also I am curious was it Southview or Westend Acura that you bought from?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Intermediate

Enough about Saskatoon. We are interested in the RDX vs X3.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Originally Posted by chavez77

I test drove both...

HOWEVER -- I've been doing similar research on the X3 owner forms and OMG, what horrible problems those poor bastards are dealing with (all models 04 2.5s to 07 3.0s). weird noises afer just a few thousand miles, steering problems, transmission replacements, etc. And as much as I love that moonroof, there is known problem with some of them leaking!

Another HUGE issue for me: The X3 does not have ANY crash test data. I've looked everywhere. WTF? What about the safety of German engineering? Krauts are afraid to let one go to IIHS or NHSTA to do a crash test? I know for sure that rear impact test will suck on the X3 with no active head restraits.

And more: The factory audio just sucks, and very few owners considered aftermarket. RDX tech felt like driving around in my buddy's home theatre!

FINALLY: Price. Gosh, I would like to drive the X3 home, but optioning out equivalently (RDX tech vs. 3.0i w/ options) I'd be partially fundng the Fourth Reich.

Buying my RDX this week or next.... Silver or White (not picky) Tech. Will pay invoice +/- 100 -- will do seperate thread once I can strike the deal.
Check out www.bimmerfest.com - best BMW board in the world. Those guys are all still my friends, as a matter of fact, I went to a meet last night with the RDX and got some grief. Actually - I have plans to get an E46 M3 and use the RDX as a daily commuter.

I drank lots of BMW cool aid, but the X3 was over the top...it's actually only a E46 3er AWD wagon underneath. Alpine white X3, with a tobacco interior?.... superior to the RDX. X3 Sunroof? superior to the RDX. Handling? I think it's a draw. Service/reliability? I give the nod to the RDX. Pinache? X3 wins. The X3 has slightly better tactile feel, but no where near the price differential. BMW's are great cars - probably near the "best" on my list, but I say if you are going to get a BMW, hold off and get a 3er or a 5er or a roadster to get the full roundel experience.

Dont forget to compare radios very carefully (thanks for bringing this up). You spend a ton of time inside the vehicle and BMW's base stereo is a joke. And try to find an X3 with the upgraded HK Hi-Fi system - almost non existant... and it still sounds mediocre at best. Almost everything "good" on the car is an upgrade/option. Remember, the base ($39k) car has "leatherette" seats......

I look at 2007 X3 drivers and think "you got hosed" - especially if it has any options (ZSP, ZPP, CWP, Etc). The car is a poor value. I'm the only one screaming "the emporer has no clothes".

Old 01-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mando
Also I am curious was it Southview or Westend Acura that you bought from?
It was Westside Acura and I only called the Saskatoon guy back out of courtesy. I knew he had me on his list of buyers and I figured i'd take the "high road" and let him know before he phoned me.

Rusty
Old 01-09-2007, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

It was Westside Acura and I only called the Saskatoon guy back out of courtesy. I knew he had me on his list of buyers and I figured i'd take the "high road" and let him know before he phoned me.

Rusty
Seriously, no one but people in Edmonton are interested in Edmonton area dealers. Why don't you two instant message or email? You are off topic.