gasoline related questions: what's the final verdict?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gasoline related questions: what's the final verdict?

sorry to post something that's prolly been pounded on before - read somewhere that u cant run down ur fuel tank lest cat converter gets ruined. hv been running it down below 1/4th (sometimes 1/8th or even 50 miles left- range). question:

a) any definitive answer on this? given approachng winter and 30F (even 20) in philly sometimes, is 1/4th the best buffer these days (eg. tank condensation, avoidance of cat converter burning up - some even say 1/2 - or is that old myth?)

b) fuel fill cap - one click enough? ive had instances where i usually had to do 2-3 clicks just to be sure, maybe overkill!?

c) range gauge - has anyone been brave enough to check how "accurate" the range portion is? eg. if comp stated 10 miles left, did anyone manage to confirm indeed 10 miles left?

thx
Old 11-10-2010, 11:25 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
there is a TSB advisory on this. You will get one replacement if you blow the converter. After that, you are on your own if it happens again.

bottom line - dont drive the car for an extended amount with no gas in the tank. not only is this not good generally, but its recognized by Acura as attributable to you, the driver, in case of mechanical malfunction and not the car. So, you will be on the hook if something goes and they can related it back to an empty gas tank.

Additionally, its never good to have an empty tank in the winter. CMON NOW! If you can, do what you can do to fill up as best you can without running it down.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:35 PM
big shot.

also, give the cap a few clicks, better safe
Old 11-11-2010, 06:45 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
c) range gauge - Mine is pretty accurate, low fuel light comes on at 15mls remaining. And once when the vehicle was brand new I ran out of gas due to a dealer induced problem( https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-problems-fixes-160/gas-guage-tank-problem-682717/ ) and after working out the milage it was just about on the money!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:36 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
You are also at risk of burning the fuel pump since the gasoline is what cools it down....right?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MMike1981
there is a TSB advisory on this. You will get one replacement if you blow the converter. After that, you are on your own if it happens again.

bottom line - dont drive the car for an extended amount with no gas in the tank. not only is this not good generally, but its recognized by Acura as attributable to you, the driver, in case of mechanical malfunction and not the car. So, you will be on the hook if something goes and they can related it back to an empty gas tank.

Additionally, its never good to have an empty tank in the winter. CMON NOW! If you can, do what you can do to fill up as best you can without running it down.
smackdown fm mike. ok, will keep a dutiful watch on the gas gauge- once it reaches arnd 1/4th, off to the station then - no more running it down to 30-50miles in range better safe than sorry.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wspy
c) range gauge - Mine is pretty accurate, low fuel light comes on at 15mls remaining. And once when the vehicle was brand new I ran out of gas due to a dealer induced problem( https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682717 ) and after working out the milage it was just about on the money!
interesting problem, good its sorted out. im pretty sure mine goes below 1/4th but no more from now
Old 11-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by wrestrepo
You are also at risk of burning the fuel pump since the gasoline is what cools it down....right?
Originally Posted by amfsumo
interesting problem, good its sorted out. im pretty sure mine goes below 1/4th but no more from now
BullShit

This is an 20 year old debate. The facts are no car should be damaged when it runs out of gas. If cars did die after one or two experiences on "E", we would all store gas at home. If you run out of gas and your RDX starts running like shit after that, it is an Acura issue. I'm not saying that you should drive your car around with 1/4 tank of gas in it, but if I have a problem with mine, Acura is on the hook.
Everything else with a motor that I own has run out of gas and starts right up after I put more gas in the tank.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:20 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
BullShit

This is an 20 year old debate. The facts are no car should be damaged when it runs out of gas. If cars did die after one or two experiences on "E", we would all store gas at home. If you run out of gas and your RDX starts running like shit after that, it is an Acura issue. I'm not saying that you should drive your car around with 1/4 tank of gas in it, but if I have a problem with mine, Acura is on the hook.
Everything else with a motor that I own has run out of gas and starts right up after I put more gas in the tank.
I don't think that you will burn the pump if you run with little gas once, but if you make it a habit you (likely) will.

And BTW, why did you delete my quote from your sig?
Old 11-11-2010, 03:59 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
BullShit

did you read the TSB when I posted it in the other thread not too long ago? I find it quite interesting that you think its an Acura issue...because the same exact advisory is on the CX-7 as well. Those fuel pumps go at 1600 psi. The tank goes empty, the comp runs its mixture lean which increases heat generation which blows the converter.

and, 'the car' doesnt run out of gas...unless ur in some sort of situation - i thought the owner put gas in the car. its your responsibility to keep gas in the tank, and if you dont, well, thats on you for whatever else happens ie misfiring or whatever the manufacturer has cautioned you on. Im not saying catastrophic things are to be expected, but one would think that something may happen if u run your car close to E over and over again...in fact, its pretty logical. My grandfather told me never to keep the tank under a 1/4 and that was over 25 years ago. At the most basic level, this is common sense. The fact that Acura has actually TOLD YOU to keep the tank filled is them protecting dumb human error.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:25 PM
StayAtHomeDad

did you read the TSB when I posted it in the other thread not too long ago? I find it quite interesting that you think its an Acura issue...because the same exact advisory is on the CX-7 as well. Those fuel pumps go at 1600 psi. The tank goes empty, the comp runs its mixture lean which increases heat generation which blows the converter.

and, 'the car' doesnt run out of gas...unless ur in some sort of situation - i thought the owner put gas in the car. its your responsibility to keep gas in the tank, and if you dont, well, thats on you for whatever else happens ie misfiring or whatever the manufacturer has cautioned you on. Im not saying catastrophic things are to be expected, but one would think that something may happen if u run your car close to E over and over again...in fact, its pretty logical. My grandfather told me never to keep the tank under a 1/4 and that was over 25 years ago. At the most basic level, this is common sense. The fact that Acura has actually TOLD YOU to keep the tank filled is them protecting dumb human error.
for whatever is worth I burned a pump after driving about 100 miles with a loaded car and very little gas.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There was one occasion when my "range" was down to like 17 miles, and when I stopped to fill my tank it took just over 16 gallons. Doesn't the tank have an 18.5 gallon capacity or something like that? I suspect there's some safety/idiot factor intentionally built in so people don't completely drain their tanks, no?
Old 11-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Much more poor design than human error. One eighth of a tank is two gallons--more than many of us use in a day's worth of driving. I don't know why it would be so hard to have a car not burn itself up because you push it a little bit on waiting to fill up. A $2 temperature sensor on the fuel pump?
Old 11-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
FWIW, Acura delivers these cars to the dealer with barely any fuel in the tank. Most dealers don't have a puel pump on site so they all get driven for the first time with an extremely low fuel tank.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:41 PM
PM me if you need a reply

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I've had a fuel pump relay gone bad from running on empty, however, this was in my Acura Legend.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Intermediate

This may be folk lore--but in very cold winter climates, e.g. Minnesota, some coaching in winter is to keep gas at least a half tank due to condensation in the tank (as temperatures fluctuate between the coldest and warmest times of the day) that then freezes in the fuel line at times--and leaves you without a car for a while. But even if that's not scientifically accurate, having gas in the car at all times is a good idea since you never want to be stranded in -60 degree (or worse) wind chills because you ran out of gas.

Last night we were coming home from Portland and an accident somewhere ahead left us in crawling traffic for over an hour to travel about 4 miles. We had gas, plus my wife's Prius. But in situations like that, if you start with very little gas you can pretty much predict your outcome. I guess I don't understand why people run the tank to the bottom before replacing the fuel. Not to mention what it does to a fuel filter.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:39 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by stray_pube
There was one occasion when my "range" was down to like 17 miles, and when I stopped to fill my tank it took just over 16 gallons. Doesn't the tank have an 18.5 gallon capacity or something like that? I suspect there's some safety/idiot factor intentionally built in so people don't completely drain their tanks, no?
More than the idiot factor it would have depended on your driving. If my understanding is correct, the range is calculated based on the mpg calculations on the MID.

Originally Posted by brizey
Much more poor design than human error. One eighth of a tank is two gallons--more than many of us use in a day's worth of driving. I don't know why it would be so hard to have a car not burn itself up because you push it a little bit on waiting to fill up. A $2 temperature sensor on the fuel pump?
How much would it cost to replace that $2 part? Just not worth it or necessary.

The bottom line is that there is no critical temperature at which you will burn the fuel pump, or a guarantee that you will by running low on gas. Keeping your tank with enough gas to keep the pump cool and to prevent sediments from getting in to the engine is the best practice...
Old 11-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeop, read it. Again, this is an old debate. Maybe Mythbusters can settle it for us. Otherwise, I didn't see anything in my owners manual that said keep the tank above 1/4 or you will fry your cat. If it happens to me I'll be the first to tell you, "You were right!"
Old 11-14-2010, 09:47 PM
big shot.

did you see anything in the manual that says turn the steering wheel right or left to direct the car right or left?

I PDF searched the entire manual and could not find that, perhaps i missed it, but my guess is that the thing speaks for itself

ALSO - you should tune up your reading, refer to page 71: (2008 owners manual)
Turbo Boost Meter
When the turbo charger is activated, this meter shows the boost pressure.
Fuel Gauge
This shows how much fuel you have. It may show slightly more or less than the actual amount. The needle returns to the bottom after you turn off the ignition.
Avoid driving with an extremely low f uel level. Running out of f uel could cause the engine to misf ire, damaging the catalytic converter.

BANG.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:50 PM
big shot.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:27 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

:
:
:
:
Old 11-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wspy

:
:
:
:
Glad you enjoyed that so much.

The snarky steering wheel comment was unnecessary, here is your "You were right!"
Old 11-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Suzuka Master

^I actually left the office, went out to the parking garage and checked the owners manual I got with the car. Sure enough, it's in there (albeit on page 75). You were right! You were right! You were right! You were right! You were right! You were right! You were right! You were right! You were right! You were right! You were right! You were right! You were right!

Last edited by Mr Marco; 11-15-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:11 PM
big shot.

not a question of being right, could care less....its a matter of correct knowledge not just for us but those who read this board and look to it for guidance, solutions, and procedure if something happens with their ride.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Suzuka Master

^You are so full of shit. If you did not enjoy being right you would never end your post (#19) with "BANG." You will never admit to it being a matter of ego. I've admitted I was wrong, if you want more become a Mod and delete my post. Otherwise spare me from your ego. (I'm no angel, my ego is magnanimous)
Old 11-16-2010, 12:30 AM
big shot.

dont care. really dont. im not on here for my benefit or furthering some iteration of an ego thru a keyboard and internet connection. please.

ending it with a bang = what is the final verdict (title of thread) = BANG. this is the final verdict. this never was a matter of ego. this was a matter of doing ur research in the face of ignorance. you claimed to have 'read' everything, leave it to mythbusters and also called another poster's post bullshit, the simple matter of fact is that everything you have actually written was and is bullshit. It not a matter of me 'being right', i knew i was correct with the information that I had, i frankly dont give a simple shit whether u want me to be gratified in your admission of ' I AM RIGHT' LOL. that was never my mission in this thread and this was never a case of you having to somehow acquiesce to something, u decided to turn it into that. good for you.

Last edited by MMike1981; 11-16-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:44 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Old 11-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Suzuka Master

dont care. really dont. im not on here for my benefit or furthering some iteration of an ego thru a keyboard and internet connection. please.

ending it with a bang = what is the final verdict (title of thread) = BANG. this is the final verdict. this never was a matter of ego. this was a matter of doing ur research in the face of ignorance. you claimed to have 'read' everything, leave it to mythbusters and also called another poster's post bullshit, the simple matter of fact is that everything you have actually written was and is bullshit. It not a matter of me 'being right', i knew i was correct with the information that I had, i frankly dont give a simple shit whether u want me to be gratified in your admission of ' I AM RIGHT' LOL. that was never my mission in this thread and this was never a case of you having to somehow acquiesce to something, u decided to turn it into that. good for you.

Good job mike. You tell him! That guy is an asshole anyhow.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

By the way, I NEVER said that I read everything in this post. "...you claimed to have 'read' everything" -MMike1981
Are you referring to this post?????
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...php?p=12450261
Post #46
Old 11-18-2010, 02:28 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Fuel Gauge
This shows how much fuel you have. It may show slightly more or less than the actual amount. The needle returns to the bottom after you turn off the ignition.
Avoid driving with an extremely low f uel level. Running out of f uel could cause the engine to misf ire, damaging the catalytic converter.

BANG.
Now wait a minute. There is a HUGE difference between "don't let the car run out of gas because it could damage it" (DUH) and "don't let the gas drop below a 1/4 tank."

If I actually run out of gas, I expect it to be not good for the car.

If I drive it with less than a quarter of a tank, I expect it to be perfectly fine.

I regularly run my S2000 down to where I fill it up with about 11.5-11.7 gallons of gas, out of a tank capacity of 13.2, and would expect no problems in doing that (that still leaves me about 35 miles of range.) I would expect the RDX to respond accordingly, and if it does not, that is a design problem, not a human one.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:31 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
Now wait a minute. There is a HUGE difference between "don't let the car run out of gas because it could damage it" (DUH) and "don't let the gas drop below a 1/4 tank."
Nobody is saying that 1/4 tank is the magic number....just to not run with "extremely low level"
Old 11-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
It most be that time of the month for just about everybody.

Which is better swedish meatballs or italian meatballs?

I like italian meatballs, and the reason I say this it is my opinion. Minus the seasoning is the meatball the same, however you look at it? God for bid anyone on the Warranty-warrior side of AZine get along with the common sense side of AZine or even the "wanna-be" Tuners. Warranty warriors: the reason people go to sites like these, is to find out that people are actually doing something different than Acura suggests, Can I change my own oil? HELL YEAH! YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR OWN OIL!

Common sence e-people don't run out of gas, BANG!!!

@ Marco you are right 100%. There is no way, as I run mine down to the light, then fill, and it is down right cold and icy in the winters here in the midwest. My brain acts like a MPG super-computer, and I can remember how much fuel is left based on mileage because one thing is constant in this problem fuel tank size. Less than a 1/4 tank will not kill the cat. People kill cats. I have my own theory as to why this happens.

Really it's like a spoiled rich kid in here sometimes.

Last edited by Kaze66218; 11-18-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Originally Posted by Kaze66218
It most be that time of the month for just about everybody.

Which is better swedish meatballs or italian meatballs?

I like italian meatballs, and the reason I say this it is my opinion. Minus the seasoning is the meatball the same, however you look at it? God for bid anyone on the Warranty-warrior side of AZine get along with the common sense side of AZine or even the "wanna-be" Tuners. Warranty warriors: the reason people go to sites like these, is to find out that people are actually doing something different than Acura suggests, Can I change my own oil? HELL YEAH! YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR OWN OIL!

Common sence e-people don't run out of gas, BANG!!!

@ Marco you are right 100%. There is no way, as I run mine down to the light, then fill, and it is down right cold and icy in the winters here in the midwest, but mine is garaged overnight. Would I recommend it to people leaving there RDX out side over night in the cold , probably not as the water in the Gas tank will freeze. My brain acts like a MPG super-computer, and I can remember how much fuel is left based on mileage because one thing is constant in this problem fuel tank size. Pilots have to do this all the time while aloft by measuring fuel left in time. Anyway, Less than a 1/4 tank will not kill the cat. People kill cats. I have my own theory as to why this happens.

Really it's like a spoiled rich kid in here sometimes.

F***'n edting time limit.

TMI as to why I had to step away.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:08 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
Nobody is saying that 1/4 tank is the magic number....just to not run with "extremely low level"
exactly my reply.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Suzuka Master

No one should be running around on less than 1/4 tank of gas just for the issue of safety. And it is apparent that it will damage parts of the RDX if you run it out of gas. But we don't live in a perfect world. People run their cars out of gas all the time. My point is that if the RDX sustains damage as a result of running out of gas once, there is an issue with the design of the engine management system.
"You will get one replacement if you blow the converter." -MMMMMike tells me Acura is at fault.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Copy cat shinobi

That is very much agreeable.

If I have a analogy that works best here. I sell someone an item at xxx amount of money, they go use that item but I forget to tell them of the risks of running out of whatever is necessary to keep the item from damage.

Likewise, say RROD on the 360, if everyone regarded the xbox360 as a computer, no one would in their right mind would starve it of cool air. But because of the lack of warning or consumer education to prevent this, surely Microsoft knew about it thru testing but thought it wouldn't be an issue. They, Microsoft, continued to reproduce flaw after flaw. Yet, due to an inherent design flaw consumers had to forgo a RROD warranty in which consumers out side of x month window had to pay out of pocket, and this pissed off xxxxxxx many people.

In a way of speaking (speculatively) the cat issue could become a similar RROD issue should gas prices skyrocket any further. $10 a gallon? Due to lack of consumer education this may evolve into a Acura nightmare. $160.00 per fill up, No thanks. As far as Acura goes this is a problem that has been brought to their attention more than once (ergo TSB, if that means anything to service) if i made the rules you'll continue to replace at acura's expense until they re-engineer the flawed design. Weither or not it is at your expense is did you find a Douche bag dealer/service guy or not.

More than likely if you serve the cat a health helping of 91 octane then why not get a blox CEL o2 sensor adaptor and run it with the cat as if it was a replacement DP. It may work WSPY?

More than 1 way to skin a cat!

Last edited by Kaze66218; 11-19-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Copy cat shinobi

FYI,

I think a 17 gal tank would be at the most explosive point when it is at 1/14.7 *17= a bad number to be hit from behind. 1.156(462585) gallons, it is still very explosive give or take a few half gallons.

Good thing I sit up front, and the windshield keeps me in the car.

RDX is also an explosive, Royal Demolition eXplosive, and is a very stable.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:42 PM
StayAtHomeDad

If you run your engine with the minimum level of oil all the time, would that be Acura's fault if you blow the engine? or the turbo? would that be an engineering flaw?
This is not an Acura issue alone, it is known for ages that you should not run with little gas on the tank of any car. There is no magic amount, most people believe that 1/4 is appropriate though.
There are things that will kill the car if you do it once, a reporter for a car magazine killed a Caddy SRX because he used regular instead of premium.....I don't know if the manufacturer would have been as understanding if this was a regular folk.

I don't know how this turned into such a huge argument.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Nope again not an arguemnent, and your analogy is somehow different than mine how? This is an extraordinary circumstance when a car runs out of fuel for some unknown bonehead reason, people get distracted and do bone headed things.

Both Mmike and Marco have enough common sense to not draw out a fight as this is a discussion and and last time, i checked opinions were free in my state and should be all over the country, certainly people can step in as mediators but you on the other hand can not sence the tension has declined and you still want to draw it out! For what reason! Explain! Do you want to give ehead to the winner, or even a hand job?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:20 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by Kaze66218
Nope again not an arguemnent, and your analogy is somehow different than mine how? This is an extraordinary circumstance when a car runs out of fuel for some unknown bonehead reason, people get distracted and do bone headed things.

Both Mmike and Marco have enough common sense to not draw out a fight as this is a discussion and and last time, i checked opinions were free in my state and should be all over the country, certainly people can step in as mediators but you on the other hand can not sence the tension has declined and you still want to draw it out! For what reason! Explain! Do you want to give ehead to the winner, or even a hand job?
I want to start a "fight" because I call people names and/or suggest they want to give head to others....
and clearly the one who "won" the argument about damaging a cat was Mmike, with facts, not opinions.

Quick Reply: gasoline related questions: what's the final verdict?