Exterior Colors - some better than others?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exterior Colors - some better than others?

I've been hitting up the RDX forums for a while now (still on the fence about it) and have noticed more than a few people commenting on how some colors look much better on the car than others. No one's offered up a real explanation...the closest was one post that said the dark colors were better to hide the awkward angled lines of the RDX.

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I was curious as to what some of you would deem "the best" color and "the worst" color and why. Some photos of the red RDX look great, while others not so much. I know it's always best to see them in person but A) Some of you ordered your RDX based only on the brochure photos and B) my local dealer seems to only ever have silver, white, and black in stock.

I'm personally leaning towards the Carbon Gray but haven't even seen one photo..I'm basing it on the TSX I've seen on the road. Then again Royal Blue looks great on the TL but not so hot on the RDX photos I've seen. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Racer

I got the Royal Blue with the 19" Sparkle Silver. It looks better with the 19" SS rims. I had it with the OEM rims for a week and it did look as sporty untill the rims were changed. I will post pictures when the weather clears up in chicago.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Instructor

I have an order in for a blue one. I don't think it is the "best" color, just the best color for me. My current car is black so I wanted something different. I liked the blue and the silver. I was leaning toward silver because is shows dirt less etc., but my husband's TL is silver so I had some second thoughts about two silver cars. I like the carbon gray and bronze, but I just kept coming back to blue and after seeing one on the lot I pretty much decided even though I'm going to have to wait until the end of October before they get another blue one. My husband really wanted a blue TL, but couldn't find one in the 6 speed and he was without a car because someone slammed into his prior one so he couldn't wait and had to go with his second choice - so maybe it's a little too.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Intermediate

RDX colors

I've gone around to all the dealerships in the Bay area to see all the colors. Of course it comes down to personal preferance. To me, certain cars look better in certain colors. My opinion:

Looks great in black but we all know black is not practical! If just washed black is always great but too much work. (current TSX is black)

I don't think silver suits the RDX that much. Too bland for the RDX even though silver looks decent on most any car and hides dirt well.

Royal blue is quite nice, it's a darker metallic blue that goes well with it.

Carbon gray and Moroccan red are about equal in my book -- both look very nice on the RDX. I would consider either of those colors.

My personal favorites are white and Carbon bronze. I usually stray from white on most cars but I think it makes the RDX look classy and more expensive. Looks very nice with taupe or ebony interior. (I have a feeling others might not agree with this...)

Carbon bronze is the best color in my opinion. It looks great on the TSX with either interior color and it is different -- not a common color on any car. It has a great goldish/bronze sparkly effect in the direct sunlight and it also hides dirt well like silver or carbon gray would.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-13-2006, 02:26 AM
Advanced

Check out the back of the RDX promo book/brochure for a pic of the carbon grey. It looks sharp.

Here's my opinion - I looked at infinitis, muranos, suburus, toyotas, the BMW and the Lexus and I still liked the look of the RDX, BECAUSE OF THE ANGLES (so I must be pretty wierd, eh??).

My eye catches medium to light colours on this vehicle because they accent the angles on the back of the vehicle, which I think give it a younger, sportier look than the side profile on a lot of the above models. I don't like the black, because it totally hides the shape of the windows, etc. In contrast, red, silver, white, and even carbon grey, etc. really show it off nicely.

I'd say if you're not big on the shape - go for the super dark colours so it's not highlighted. If you love the shape, go for something mid-to-light.

Also, you've got to see it clean at the dealership to get the colour right. I would NEVER, EVER buy red, but the Morroccan red really rocks - I think it's gorgeous (took a long time to talk myself out of it). Blue's nice, but I've been driving a blue Accord for the past 14 years so I majorly need some change.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:31 AM
Advanced

BTW, what would you tell someone who was in the midst of a toss up between the silver and the carbon grey, or the blue??? We've got kids, so I think we're stuck with the black interior (not that there's anything wrong with that).

You're right - that bronze is nice too - I hear IT'S THE COLOUR this year from the sales manager at Acura - he recommends it to everyone looking at the RDX. For me though, anything directed towards beige or gold seems to oldish or conventional - too many tan stationwagons during my childhood in the '70s I guess.

I'm interested - why didn't you think the silver suited the RDX?? It's the most common colour used in all the flyers so I'm thinking there must be a reason for that (unless ads, promos etc. all use silver to intro new vehicles). I've been inquiring into a silver one for the time being, so if I'm missing something here, I may have to inquire into another colour.

Thanks guys!!
Old 09-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Racer

Hey everyone, thanks for your responses so far! They've been very helpful and helped me get a different perspective.

SolidState & Tonia - I'd love to see photos of your Royal Blue RDX whenever you have a chance to post them. I like blue a lot but I think it looks a bit drab when the sun's not out (more so than the other colours) and we already have a blue Ford Freestyle sitting in the driveway.

Elgage44 & mommy_barbie - I do like the look of the bronze right now but yeah, i wonder if I'll get sick of it after they novelty of it has worn off. Too conservative looking and all that jazz. I love Carbon Gray when I see them on the other Hondas and Acuras, but my neighbor has a Carbon Gray MDX and it doesn't look quite as good on a larger car. Then again the charcoal gray on the Lexus RX looks pretty sweet (but that's cuz it contrasts nicely with the LED taillights and chrome trim).

I agree with the fact that silver pretty much looks good on everything, but it's also been done to death. Like watching your favourite episode of TV for years. It gets kinda boring. My family also has a sordid history of silver cars....AND every Asian in Toronto seems to drive one. Actually that's pretty much the biggest reason I've ruled out silver - I don't want to be mistaken for another asian in a silver rice rocket.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Dennis

I started from a different point -- the interior. I really dislike black interiors. They look good but are too hot in the summer. So the next question was what color would look good with taupe? Forget silver and gray, they'd only look good with black. So that left white, black, red, blue, and carbon bronze. Black and white are really nice, but show dirt too easily. So'd I'd have considered red, blue, or bronze. The dealer had two bronze/taupe RDX's on hand and I thought that looked handsome -- not flashy, just nicely coordinated. That's my pick.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:57 AM
Advanced

Red face What's a girl to Do??

I hear you Dennis - that tan leather in the RDX is gorgeous and it looks so cozy, and I've always heard that dark interiors get hot (my dark blue accord interior certainly did). HOWEVER - I have kids!! I would love that tan interior, but I've see what the leather interior of my husband's Honda sedan has become with the kids (and they're neat compared to some) and it's not great (he's got tan leather)

If you had kids, do you still think you'd get tan?? Is this leather on the RDX superior somehow, so that it might not get so dirty?? ALso, do you think the black leather will be just as bad??

I agree with your perspective - start from the inside and work out - makes sense. So far, I've gone with black interior (and I thought silver would look good with that - plus I like silver a lot).

It's not just food etc. - I rarely let the kids eat in the car - but its the shoes, and boots and just them - the way they are. Cute kids, but they come with issues. Anyways, you seem to be pretty logical about all this, so I thought I'd get your advice on this
Old 09-14-2006, 12:58 AM
Advanced

Unhappy

Should also mention that we're not getting the remote starter so we'll be getting into an uprepped car during the summer (i.e. one in which the AC hasn't been turned out before we get into the car)...
Old 09-14-2006, 07:26 AM
Dennis

Originally Posted by mommy_barbie
I hear you Dennis - that tan leather in the RDX is gorgeous and it looks so cozy, and I've always heard that dark interiors get hot (my dark blue accord interior certainly did). HOWEVER - I have kids!! I would love that tan interior, but I've see what the leather interior of my husband's Honda sedan has become with the kids (and they're neat compared to some) and it's not great (he's got tan leather)

If you had kids, do you still think you'd get tan?? Is this leather on the RDX superior somehow, so that it might not get so dirty?? ALso, do you think the black leather will be just as bad??

I agree with your perspective - start from the inside and work out - makes sense. So far, I've gone with black interior (and I thought silver would look good with that - plus I like silver a lot).

It's not just food etc. - I rarely let the kids eat in the car - but its the shoes, and boots and just them - the way they are. Cute kids, but they come with issues. Anyways, you seem to be pretty logical about all this, so I thought I'd get your advice on this
Well, my little kid is in his third year of college (My God! How did he get so old while I stayed so young?). But when he was 8 years old, I bought an Integra GSR with gray leather. Never had a problem with dirty leather, but other than the seats and the door insert panels, most of the rest of the interior was black.

With my current car (BMW calls the interior color "sand"), the place that attracts dirt is the bottom of the doors -- getting in and out with dirty shoes leaves its mark there. But that's plastic, not leather. And every so often I when I bring it to the car wash, I have them do their super-duper job which includes, among other things, wiping down the interior and using Lexol leather preservative, which helps repel stains. I also keep a container of Lexol cleaning wipes on hand. If something gets dirty, it'll clean up prettty easily. I once had a pen leak on my leather desk chair so I grabbed the wipes -- cleaned up without staining.

The bottom line here is that leather needs some upkeep and a lighter color may need more frequent attention, but if you take care of it, it'll last forever. My last car was a used SAAB that came with 20k miles on it. I sold it at about 135k and the gray leather looked as good as when I bought it.

The only other issue that I can think of is that the RDX has perforated leather and I don't know what's behind the holes or how it would be dirt-wise. Anybody have any information on this?
Old 09-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Intermediate

I got the Alabaster Silver w/ Ebony. A close second wold have been the Carbon Grey w/ Ebonly. I think it would look sharp as a second choice.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Instructor

I saw my first RDX on the road today (other than the one I'm driving, of course). It was a blue. I'm sure lots of people like blue, but it doesn't work for me so I'm very happy I picked white.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Advanced

I ordered a Black RDX, i think Black extieror with Black interior and black rims really stands out, expecially at night.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Dennis

Originally Posted by ravemother
I ordered a Black RDX, i think Black extieror with Black interior and black rims really stands out, expecially at night.
But if you drive the RDX the way it's meant to be driven, you might want to attract less notice rather than more
Old 09-28-2006, 01:38 AM
7th Gear

white diamond pearl vs carbon gray pearl

I'm torn. Not sure which color to go for. I have not seen the white diamond pearl RDX to date. Seems the carbon gray pearl is the popular color for the RDX. Anyone got the RDX in white? Does it look sharp?
Old 09-28-2006, 04:04 AM
Instructor

Yes, the wife and I drive a White Diamond Pearl. It does look sharp

To our eyes, lighter shades make the RDX look bigger, while darker colors make it look sportier.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:34 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Madison3
Yes, the wife and I drive a White Diamond Pearl. It does look sharp

To our eyes, lighter shades make the RDX look bigger, while darker colors make it look sportier.
Does the white have the speckles? I am going for the sporty look but the white might suit the Pacific Northwest's rainy weather.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Speckles? You mean like a light sparkley, freckley finish? Yes, hence I think the reason Acura Marketing picked "...Pearl" to describe the white paint job. It's very subtle though, less noticeable than the speckles of the Carbon Grey Pearl.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Instructor

white

I have ordered white/taupe with tech and the delivery is within two wks.
I have seen a car with white/blk in the dealer lot and really like it. It has very faint, light beige or yellowish tint to it and it looks more like color of Carnation Cream Milk.
I have taken some hirez pics so if I can figure out how to attach them, I will put'em on. Also, there are speckles in the paint but unless you are really up close, they are hard to notice. Nonetheless, the color is beautiful.
As far as interior is concerned, I have not seen how dark/ or light the taupe is..