Expert Technical Advice Wanted! Sensor at Windshield.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 07:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Expert Technical Advice Wanted! Sensor at Windshield.

Hello All.

I just had my windshield replaced - 1000 miles and a couple of months old -

The service writer said that the sensor at the windshield was for turning the headlights on at dusk. I don't think he was too informed. I believe that this sensor is connected to the climate control system - correct?

Anyway, the state and county stickers were place right above this sensor. Is this going to effect the operation of the sensor? Change the values it sees?

Old 11-03-2007, 07:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
It may as its disrupting the sunlight from the sensor. Aren't those stickers suppose to be on the side?

I though us Ontario (Canadian) people had it bad with front and rear license plates, you gotta put stickers all over your car? that sucks.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sunlight sensor at the center of the dash is, indeed, a functional part of the climate control system. It is an electronic, light-sensitive, component that sends a variable signal to the climate control system when it detects sunlight at varying levels. Covering it or otherwise blocking sunlight will, no doubt, affect its operation.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aceventura
Is this going to effect the operation of the sensor? Change the values it sees?
I guarantee you it will. In July/Aug I was very disappointed with the climate control system. Then considered the sticker location, and did some research. If you do some searching on the VA laws about the sticker location, you will find the inspection sticker is supposed to be right of center (from the driver's perspective). I had repeated arguments at the dealer until I went in with a printed copy of the law, and the name/number of the state trooper I spoke to who indicated it should be located in such a way as to not interfere.

Dealer then re-inspected, put the new sticker in the legal position, and climate control worked substantially better.

good luck.