Does anyone regret getting an RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone regret getting an RDX?

I was thinking about getting an RDX when I saw the free tech package promo lease. The only thing holding me back is fuel economy. If gas keeps going up, I think I would regret getting this gas guzzler. Don't get me wrong I know the RDX is a turbo AWD and weighs almost 4000 pounds so it's gas mileage is about par for this vehicles specs. Do any current or past RDX owners regret getting one for this reason or any other reasons?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Photographer

i dont regret buying the RDX at all.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:50 AM
Instructor

I've never made a purchase decision based on gas mileage. If I did, I'd only buy something effeminate like a gd Prius and nothing but. If you can't afford whatever the gas price is on any given day then you can't afford the car. Buy a used car, then, for $2500 and save the other $30K+ to pay for your gas (and repairs) all year.

My only regret about purchasing the RDX Tech is discovering it had fewer luxury, upscale features than my comparably priced Saturn. If Acura is such an upscale brand and Saturn a pedestrian brand, then perhaps the world has changed and Acura fanboys don't know it. Otherwise, something is wrong with that picture.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman
I've never made a purchase decision based on gas mileage. If I did, I'd only buy something effeminate like a gd Prius and nothing but. If you can't afford whatever the gas price is on any given day then you can't afford the car. Buy a used car, then, for $2500 and save the other $30K+ to pay for your gas (and repairs) all year.

My only regret about purchasing the RDX Tech is discovering it had fewer luxury, upscale features than my comparably priced Saturn. If Acura is such an upscale brand and Saturn a pedestrian brand, then perhaps the world has changed and Acura fanboys don't know it. Otherwise, something is wrong with that picture.
What features does the Saturn have that the RDX doesn't?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Go Buckeyes

Don't regret buying 2007 RDX tech at all. yes the gas mileage could always be better but I previously had a Ford Ranger XLT V6 and i got around the same mpg.

Yes you have to use premium gas which will cost you $3 to 4 dollars more per tank, (skip Starbucks one day a week ) so if you spend lets just say $50.00 dollars to fill up you would still be spending $46 to 47 dollars anyway on regular gas. For me all the techs stuff is worth it just my
Old 04-10-2008, 07:59 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
If your decision is based on gas mileage and not the versatility/usability of the car, then get a different one....I will tell you that this car IS A GAS GUZZLER...I never had an SUV and that perhaps makes my perception a little worse(I see the gas needle go down as I drive, similar to what you would see in a big truck).

Now, if your are coming from another SUV, consumption is on the average side for the size and power of the car (not for the engine size)...I don't care what anybody else says, and will not get in an argument, I get 17 City and have to be very conservative on the Hwy to get up to 20-22...get a little happy and it will go down to 19-20.

I don' regret my purchase, but would have liked checking out the RAV4...with a V6 gets more power and better mileage (not as pretty or nice on the inside though)
Old 04-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Rexorg
Falls apart at 25000 miles.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Intermediate

no regrests, first tank got 21mpg mixed city/hwy, much better than my last car, a 300C Hemi that got 14-15 mpg.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
its a shame i even have to read this guys stuff when others quote him.

do yourself a favor and dont even LOOK at a saturn.

heres the thing you have to remember....does the RDX drink gas? yea....but......does it drive and handle like a sports car...yea.

ur not going to be moping around town in a Ford Explorer.......the mpg trade off is not a big deal, all things considered. if fuel econ is a major consideration....i would tend to think ur going to have a problem with every SUV you look at, unless ur going Rav4/CRV...which are very different.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Cruisin'

No regrets at all. I switched from a TSX 5AT to the RDX. I loved the TSX but wouldn't go back. The RDX has more power, room and versatility the tradeoff in mpg (5 to 8Mpg less)
Old 04-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
its a shame i even have to read this guys stuff when others quote him.

do yourself a favor and dont even LOOK at a saturn.

heres the thing you have to remember....does the RDX drink gas? yea....but......does it drive and handle like a sports car...yea.

ur not going to be moping around town in a Ford Explorer.......the mpg trade off is not a big deal, all things considered. if fuel econ is a major consideration....i would tend to think ur going to have a problem with every SUV you look at, unless ur going Rav4/CRV...which are very different.
MMIke very well said. If gas mileage is an issue than an SUV of any type is not for you. I've had my RDX about 1.5 weeks now and love it. I went from a Honda Civic so the gas mileage is much different but the RDX offers so much more than my Civic did and it's worth the tradeoff. All SUVs are going to provide you with poor (subjective word) gas mileage.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
- 90% depreciation after 5 years?
- Guarantee of a recall at some point?
- Easy to get parts because there are 5 other GM models that are the exact same car?
- Oh yeah! Onstar!!!!! (unless you happen to have an analog installation which is being turned off soon)
Old 04-10-2008, 10:04 AM
10th Gear

OK, enough about the Saturn already! Lets look deeper into this misleading constant Saturn babble:

The Saturn:
Heavier by 343 pounds
has an archaic 3.5 liter OHV engine from GM's parts bin
has 18 less horse power
has 41 fewer ft/lbs torque
gets worse gas mileage city
same mpg freeway
has a 40 FOOT TURNING RADIUS! WOW! (u turn from the right lane?)
16" inch wheels standard
no brake assist
ancient all wheel drive system
inferior 36/60 warranty verses 48/70 on Acura
inferior stereo/nav system
no HID headlights
IS A SATURN!!
etc..
etc..

Whatever bells and whistles it has that the Acura doesn't won't matter in a couple years when they DON'T WORK anymore! oh and have fun when it starts rattling and squeaking all over because of the lack of stiffness in the frame construction and poor workmanship.

You get what you pay for.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Instructor

Each time I see member "Theplainsman" post something about his Saturn, I say to myself "we have another brawl!" hahaha. I mean seriously.. why is he always comparing a saturn to an Acura. For crying out loud, the saturn doesn't even have an upscale audio system like the Acura's ELS system (which is one of the best in the industry period). I honestly do not see how someone can compare the luxury of a saturn to the luxury of an acura. You're better off comparing it to the luxury of cars with the honda badge. (cars with honda badges do not have the same level of refine and luxury as cars with an acura badge) The saturn has no sophisticated AWD system like the rdx, rl and mdx. It can not out handle the rdx or even the MDX. I bet it can't even out handle a toyota rav4. Just because a saturn is slapped with leather, 10 speakers (don't even wanna know how crappy they are), HIDs and other options, does not and will not make it on par or even a close competitor to an Acura.

SO PLEASE STOP BRINGING YOUR SATURN INTO EVERY SINGLE THING YOU HAVE TO POST.

ughgh! enough venting.. back to thread question..

I came from a toyota camry which had a really comfortable ride even in NYC. I traded it for the rdx because I had gotten stuck in snow a number of times (18 inch rims and high performance tires didn't help either) and I told myself that I will never get stock in snow every again.

After winter season was over, I looked at SUVs/CUVs and the budget with 40k. Test drove a few (RX350, fx35, cx7, cx9, rav4 s, and rdx).

Following is epa estimate of the cars I test drove.

rx350 awd 17/22 mpg

fx35 awd 15/20 mpg

cx7 awd 16/22 mpg

cx9 awd 15/21 mpg

rav4 s awd 19/26 mpg

RDX 17/22 mpg

(note: all of the rdx's competitors have very close mpg except rav4)

After driving the cars, I narrowed it to fx35 and RDX (both have very sporty rides compared to the others). RDX was my winner because of its fresh look (no one that i've seen on the highway had a rdx yet) and the rear passenger seats were much much roomy and other reasons.

Final words: I Do not regret getting a RDX.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Racer

Dude, jesus christ. I actually like GM a lot and have owned many GM cars in the past, but it is really annoying to see you CONSTANTLY bring up your Saturn. Yes, we understand you like it. Congrats. Now shut up about it and let's continue to talk about the RDX.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by oasis3582
Dude, jesus christ. I actually like GM a lot and have owned many GM cars in the past, but it is really annoying to see you CONSTANTLY bring up your Saturn. Yes, we understand you like it. Congrats. Now shut up about it and let's continue to talk about the RDX.
amen to that!
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
ADD USER TO IGNORE LIST. if enough people do this, hell have nothing to write/repsond to!
Racer

To answer the question, there have only been a few times I regret buying the RDX and those are only on the nice spring/summer days when I wish I still had a sports car. However, when it rains, snows, or anything else, I am so incredibly glad to have the AWD.

In general, I really still like the styling (maybe even more than when I bought it), the performance is great for a crossover (fun to drive hard), and the reliability has been top notch so far. Hell, I even got rear ended in it, and it held up like a tank.

All in all, a great purchase - very happy with the RDX and Acura in general.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:26 AM
10th Gear

No real regrets...but the Gas Mileage is not good at all. So far I've put about 100 miles on the car and am driving mostly in the city. It's getting me about 13-15 mpg. =(
Old 04-10-2008, 01:01 PM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
No regrets. Yea, city driving gulps gas. I drive 120 miles a day round trip to work and home. My avg. over 17k is 19.8 at this point. 22k total on odom. because mine was a demo. I will have had it a year in July. The hi-way driving gives me room for spirited driving, when not making the commute, and keeps the mpg somewhat up.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Intermediate

No major regrets. I came from a 1988 Honda Accord and was getting up to 30-32 mpg highway, so it was a big jolt to only get 20.5 mpg overall. The gas mileage is definitely worse in the winter (17-19 mpg overall). $700 extra per year may or may not be a big difference to some people. If it is, get a compact sedan. I still think the back looks a little weird, but overall the styling has started to grow more on me. Plus, they are rare on the road, compared to say a Murano! Yesterday, a black RDX drove up beside me on the highway-we both gave eachother a knowing smile and wave. It was like being a jeep ower or something.

I wish taupe leather was available with the black exterior (maybe it exists). Again, every SUV/CUV gets the same mileage except for the RAV/CRV, but niether has the performance or luxury.

I think they have to put a little more tech into it if they're going to call it a tech package. It should have a push button starter, mp3 hardrive, better ipod interface, power passenger seat. It should have noise cancellation like the new TL. Nonetheless, for the price nothing beats the value. I paid 33,900K for a new 07 tech. Also, one should consider the predicted reliability compared to any non-Japanese SUV.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Metz
...for the price nothing beats the value. I paid 33,900K for a new 07 tech. Also, one should consider the predicted reliability compared to any non-Japanese SUV.
Metz I think you hit the nail on the head. And I know this is debateable but I do believe this is the best bang for the buck out there. I looked at all kinds of vehicles before purchasing the RDX. Everytime when I compared price and features my eyes would come back to the RDX. It was just the right price for the right set of features.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Advanced

No, I traded my 05 TL for my RDX like 3 weeks ago, and I am loving it! IMO, the RDX takes a corner a LOT bettter then my 05 TL. The RDX is a blast with just over 1000 miles.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Instructor

*Both side view mirrors turn down in reverse
*Switch to toggle off Daytime Running Lights at your discretion
*Four different heat settings for leather seats instead of "hi" and "lo"
*Automatic headlights
*Second row adjusts forwards and backwards several inches for comfort, not 3rd row access
*Power rear liftgate with remote
*Remote starter
*Dual skyscape sunroofs
*Power folding side mirrors
*Six XM satellite screens for saving favorites instead of two
*275 HP, 272lbft torque V6
*Smoother, more luxurious and comfortable ride

That said, my RDX has a few things my Saturn does not:

*More advanced AWD system
*Bi-Xenon HIDs instead of low beam Xenon only
*Better navigation system
*Better audio system
*Two FM screens for saving favorites instead of two
*Turbo
*Sportier, quicker, more fun ride

So I take my RDX to work every day (60 miles each way) for fun on the highway and my Outlook XR on those long drives to Hilton Head Island or across the country in luxury and comfort.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:06 PM
07 RDX White w/tech

New Engine

When a turbo-deisel is offered for the rdx I will trade my 07 rdx in a second.
Gas mileage on future rdx buyers will be a HUDGE factor, so Acura will have to offer the diesel very soon. Picture it the RDX getting about 30-35 mpgs or better
Old 04-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HenryFL
When a turbo-deisel is offered for the rdx I will trade my 07 rdx in a second.
Gas mileage on future rdx buyers will be a HUDGE factor, so Acura will have to offer the diesel very soon. Picture it the RDX getting about 30-35 mpgs or better
I don't know much about diesel engines, but won't that negatively affect acceleration? I bought the RDX instead of a Land Rover LR2 because of the huge difference in 0 - 60. If that changes for the worst because of a diesel engine, I'd never buy another RDX.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Pro

*Bi-Xenon HIDs instead of low beam Xenon only
Except they are not. The low beam stays on and a halogen bulbs is the high beam (sams as the DRL).

Still better than the HID low only that turns off when you go high beam.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know much about diesel engines, but won't that negatively affect acceleration? I bought the RDX instead of a Land Rover LR2 because of the huge difference in 0 - 60. If that changes for the worst because of a diesel engine, I'd never buy another RDX.

Nope, that would be incorrect...

Actually the new generation of high performance diesels are very efficient and potent... With new rail injection systems, and other nifty technological advancements, the diesels are now very much in contention with the gasoline engines. In fact, the old "clacking" noisy diesels are a thing of the past, look at the Audi's and MB's, they are great examples of companies taking the diesel technology to the next level. Those engines are significantly quieter than the old generation diesels.

If you are worried about the high performance diesel affecting your acceleration prowess, then fear not... the pros of the turbocharged diesel engine is in the extremely high torque that comes with it. There are many turbocharged diesels now hitting 400 lb/ft torque, with accompanying HP in the 300 range.
In fact, with the proper gearing, the turbocharged diesel can outperform a gasoline engine driven car of a larger engine displacement.

Plus the much better fuel economy too...
Old 04-11-2008, 08:18 AM
BeachBumBob

No regrets except having to make a car payment again...

My RDX purchase was not planned (smartly that is). I was tiring of my 4-1/2 year old Element (starting to see way too many on the road) and anxious to see what Honda was going to do to replace it (very intrigued by the Japanese market-only Crossroad which was the rumored replacement). Became intrigued by the Pilot but too big and too many on the road. Even sat in a Ford Edge and Escape (no test-drives). Tested a CX-7 (upgrade options just to get a sunroof and aux input jack are like a maze). Started to think practically and was leaning towards a CR-V (I had previous to Element). Went to Acura dealer, tested an '07 tech, and knew I was in trouble. Didn't even look at RAV4 or anything else. Bought my black '08 non-tech less than 2 weeks later. First thoughts to my friends - schweeet! Averaging 17.0 mpg (mostly local and end of winter). It is disturbing to see gas prices creep. Fortunately Jersey prices haven't caught up to the rest of the USA yet, plus I don't have to pay for gas with my current job :-). As has been said: it's an SUV (or CUV, or whatever they want to call it). Turbo. ~4,000lbs. Premium fuel. If economy is that much of an issue with any vehicle that has the overall features of the RDX, then walk out the door and go buy a Civic or Corolla.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Intermediate

Don't think twice!

Originally Posted by sluday
I was thinking about getting an RDX when I saw the free tech package promo lease. The only thing holding me back is fuel economy. If gas keeps going up, I think I would regret getting this gas guzzler. Don't get me wrong I know the RDX is a turbo AWD and weighs almost 4000 pounds so it's gas mileage is about par for this vehicles specs. Do any current or past RDX owners regret getting one for this reason or any other reasons?
Sluday- If $ of gas is a BIG issue- then look a little further. For me- The joys far outweigh the gas economy. Keep in mind that you don't have to be using the turbo all the time. Comparing this to a Saturn is like comparing a Yugo to a Aston Martin. Not even in the same orbit.
Tom
Old 04-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tomcat999
Sluday- If $ of gas is a BIG issue- then look a little further. For me- The joys far outweigh the gas economy. Keep in mind that you don't have to be using the turbo all the time. Comparing this to a Saturn is like comparing a Yugo to a Aston Martin. Not even in the same orbit.
Tom

I bought the RDX, for many reasons, it's very capable AWD, exterior looks and interior quality, and reliability. Gas consumption is not one of them, obviously.

And I agree with Tomcat, you don't have to drive the RDX like a "man on a mission", spooling the turbo to it's max point each time. That turbo gauge is like a "fuel economy" gauge, everytime you see the needle spin up to the white region, you know you are seriously burning gas. I find that in my regular driving, unless I am accelerating to pass a car, the needle never really jumps up from the "zero" point. It may momentarily come up for a bit, but then goes back down to the zero point, when the acceleration load is taken off. I get about 20 mpg, and that is mostly congested city driving, rarely do I get a chance to cruise on a freeway (this is congested Vancouver). I anticipated this, as this is a somewhat heavy car, plus the full-time AWD. People think turbocharged engines are thrifty engines, but I think there is a great misunderstanding here... turbocharged engines are meant to take a small displacement engine (e.g. 4 cylinder), use the spent exhaust gas, to add boost, and take the power and torque up to the level of a much larger displacement engine (like a V8). In essence, the turbocharging is suppose to make it more efficient in generating power, but more boost, means more fuel injected to take advantage of the extra air pumped in to make power.
So although the turbocharged 4 cylinder engine is more fuel efficient than a comparable powered V8, it is still more thirsty than non-turbocharged 4 cylinder engine with an identical displacement.

So in essence, if you who buy the RDX, and thinking because it's a 2.3L 4 cylinder engine, expect to get fuel economy of the TSX, you are very much misled.
Think:
4000 lb curb weight
full-time AWD drivetrain (added frictional losses)
turbocharging (more boost, more fuel used)

These are not in essence, poor design traits of the RDX, but rather, ask yourself, why are you buying a full-time CUV with turbocharging? Hopefully not for it's fuel economy...
Old 04-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Racer

I've been averaging 20mpg in mixed suburban and highway driving. I agree that if you try to drive a 4000 pound SUV like you would drive a 2000 pound sports car, then your MPG will be terrible. If you consciously lay off the turbo, then even 25mph (for a whole tank of gas) is not difficult.

I'm no road boulder - I usually drive 10mph over the speed limit when traffic is light. In heavy traffic, though, I will stay in my lane and follow the flow instead of weaving in and out of every gap.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Pro

Yep, 18 mpg in similar, mostly city driving.

Highway has been in the 23-24 mpg range.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mav238
I bought the RDX, for many reasons, it's very capable AWD, exterior looks and interior quality, and reliability. Gas consumption is not one of them, obviously.

And I agree with Tomcat, you don't have to drive the RDX like a "man on a mission", spooling the turbo to it's max point each time. That turbo gauge is like a "fuel economy" gauge, everytime you see the needle spin up to the white region, you know you are seriously burning gas. I find that in my regular driving, unless I am accelerating to pass a car, the needle never really jumps up from the "zero" point. It may momentarily come up for a bit, but then goes back down to the zero point, when the acceleration load is taken off. I get about 20 mpg, and that is mostly congested city driving, rarely do I get a chance to cruise on a freeway (this is congested Vancouver). I anticipated this, as this is a somewhat heavy car, plus the full-time AWD. People think turbocharged engines are thrifty engines, but I think there is a great misunderstanding here... turbocharged engines are meant to take a small displacement engine (e.g. 4 cylinder), use the spent exhaust gas, to add boost, and take the power and torque up to the level of a much larger displacement engine (like a V8). In essence, the turbocharging is suppose to make it more efficient in generating power, but more boost, means more fuel injected to take advantage of the extra air pumped in to make power.
So although the turbocharged 4 cylinder engine is more fuel efficient than a comparable powered V8, it is still more thirsty than non-turbocharged 4 cylinder engine with an identical displacement.

So in essence, if you who buy the RDX, and thinking because it's a 2.3L 4 cylinder engine, expect to get fuel economy of the TSX, you are very much misled.
Think:
4000 lb curb weight
full-time AWD drivetrain (added frictional losses)
turbocharging (more boost, more fuel used)

These are not in essence, poor design traits of the RDX, but rather, ask yourself, why are you buying a full-time CUV with turbocharging? Hopefully not for it's fuel economy...
Actually, what might be an interesting option would be to have Acura put an powerful electric powerplant into the turbocharged engine, hybrid turbocharged engine. Great fuel economy when getting around town, and the turbocharged fun when you need it to pass a vehicle in a hurry.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Plus the much better fuel economy too...
But a much higher price per gallon. >$4
Old 04-11-2008, 07:10 PM
10th Gear

I don't regret my decision to buy the RDX (this is my 2nd one - the 1st one was completely totaled in an accident) and I looked at everything in the CUV/SUV market - RAV4, CR-V, Murano, CX-7 and CX-9, Pilot, Saturn, etc., and I kept coming back to the fact that the RDX has great features that are standard in the Tech package which I would have had to pay much more for in another car. Yes, the gas mileage isn't the same as my TSX, but then I didn't want another passenger car.

Also, the RDX saved my life - why wouldn't I get another? I can't really think of a better reason than that (from my perspective).
Old 04-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
NO! I absolutely LOVE my RDX. It fits my needs perfect. Are there some minor things missing? Yea, but it is the first year model. I know they'll add more creature feature later, but the price will go up also.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:35 AM
Intermediate

Actually, what might be an interesting option would be to have Acura put an powerful electric powerplant into the turbocharged engine, hybrid turbocharged engine. Great fuel economy when getting around town, and the turbocharged fun when you need it to pass a vehicle in a hurry.
Problem is weight to torque technologies to date. Take a look at any hybrid to date:
Very limited range on batteries.
Limited performance.
Trunk/cargo areas half full of batteries= more weight and less usable space.
I just think the technologie has a long way to go.

I'm waiting for the 2012 RDX supreme with dilithium chrystals and a transporter to beam your ass outta there when you get pulled over for going over warp limitations!
Tom
Old 04-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kamaaina
I don't regret my decision to buy the RDX (this is my 2nd one - the 1st one was completely totaled in an accident) and I looked at everything in the CUV/SUV market - RAV4, CR-V, Murano, CX-7 and CX-9, Pilot, Saturn, etc., and I kept coming back to the fact that the RDX has great features that are standard in the Tech package which I would have had to pay much more for in another car.
Of course, those are all cheaper vehicles than the RDX. Only when you compare the RDX to more expensive vehicles like the BMW X3/X5, Infinity EX/FX, Lexus RX, Audi Q7 does the comparison become more interesting. Anyone looked at the Lincoln MKX yet? I think the RDX is currently the best value in the luxury small SUV market, but new models are constantly being introduced. A smaller, cheaper Lexus SUV is reportedly coming out a couple of years from now.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tomcat999
Tom
As the owner of a 2007 Saturn Outlook XR and a 2008 Acura RDX Tech - both purchased brand new in 2007 - I can speak intelligently and without bias, unlike yourself, and say they do compare quality-wise, although the Outlook is really in the same size class as the MDX not the RDX. But the 2008 Saturn Vue - a German Opel with the Saturn badge - does compare favorably with the RDX.

I'm speaking as someone who'd never owned or driven a Saturn before last year, so I'm no fanboy. My RDX Tech is also my first Acura, although I'd driven a TL-Type S (my brother's) many times. So, if anybody is unbiased on this board, when it comes to comparing today's Saturns and Acuras, it's me because I have no history with either brand.

Older Saturns may very well have been pieces of junk. I don't know and don't care because I didn't drive them or own them. What's relevant is today. Today, in 2008, the worm has turned.

I love my RDX but I don't see this huge quality difference between the two brands, when comparing the newest models. In some areas, my Acura is inferior. I remember when all Japanese brands were considered cheap pieces of junk by almost all Americans, but the wormed turned. Accept the fact that its turning again, except maybe not in Acura's favor.

Quick Reply: Does anyone regret getting an RDX?