Dear, The Plainsman-your covered wagon

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:00 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear, The Plainsman-your covered wagon

Since we all have heard SO MUCH as to why the Saturn Outlook is superior to the RDX lately, and none of us but you have one, I decided to read some expert reviews and get an unbiased idea of just how good the Saturn is. And while reviews were generally positive i couldn't help but notice that all of them made some mention in their review that contained phrases like "for a Saturn", "For GM", and "compared to other Saturns". So it may not be so much that good, but rather just better compared to the previous garbage that GM has been offering. Here are some of my favorite comments quoted. Enjoy...

"And while handling is "decent," nobody can make a 5,000-pound modern equivalent of a covered wagon handle like a 3,500-pound sport sedan. To an extent, all of these SUVs drive like hogs, and the Outlook is midpack, with steering that's responsive but a rear suspension that's floaty, even with nothing heavier than a couple of carpet mites on the rear seating areas."

"I could quibble about whether the plastics on the dashboard are worthy of a $40,000 vehicle, but it's low in glare and looks easy to keep clean. Same for the fake wood trim, which at least is applied sparingly."

"J.D. Power and Associates' initial assessment of the Outlook's quality is that it's below average based on owner feedback in the first 90 days of ownership."

"the Outlook has both decent acceleration overall and efficient cruising. I stress overall because the drivetrain has what I consider a significant deficiency: accelerator lag. As I mentioned, once the car gets going it has decent power, but there's often a delay after you step on the pedal before the Outlook responds. This happens consistently before kickdown, and it also seems to hesitate at least a bit when you give it some gas any other time."

"My 6-foot height notwithstanding, I found it difficult to judge where the Outlook's front bumper was when gazing over the high hood. Rear visibility is fair"

"If I were considering buying an Outlook, the fear of the unknown might weigh on me, but more important is the known: The accelerator lag would definitely give me, uh, pause. "

"However, the fact that this thing is called a crossover had me expecting a crossover-ish drive, meaning one that's smooth and carlike. That's pretty much what you get in the Outlook -so long as you drive in a straight line. Once you need to turn, though -a terrible inconvenience that seems to present itself every time I drive -the Outlook tilts and sways in a floaty, minivan-like way."

"Fun-Factor -None"

Now i'm sure the Outlook has many fine qualities, unfortunately most of them don't matter to the people that drive Acura's. Things like acceleration, quality of materials, reputation, handling, resale value, fit and finish, etc...that's what is important to Acura drivers.

Oh and by the way:

And after one year and 12000 miles on a loaded 2007 XR all wheel drive with every bell and whistle available sticker price of almost $40,000...wait for it...wait...Kelly Blue Book value...$23,475 (in my area) WOW! !

2007 Acura RDX- 12000 miles same area, tech package-$37000 sticker Kelly Blue Book value-$27,825

Sorry Saturn FANBOY, Acura wins again!
Old 04-14-2008, 10:16 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
theres only so much you can do to dress up a pig to make it look decent.

adding crap onto more crap, option over option, doesnt cover up essential facts: subpar engineering, its still a saturn, midpack in every single thing it does, horrendous sticker shock and even worse depreciation.

when saturn or any othe counterpart makes a vehicle actually worth OWNING and DRIVING, they will get my respect, like caddy has with its CTS.

american thru and thru.

whens this idiot gonna get banned anyways.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I personally don't mind the Outlook and it seems to be a decent vehicle, but it's primarily a Minivan/large CUV replacement and the price is reflective of the interior/performace you get. Simply having a DRL switch and power folding mirrors doesn't make it nicer.

Besides, the CX-9 is the one to get in that price range anyways.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

They sound like they'd be an awesome buy for a used car that's 1 year old.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
DEFINITELY 2nd hand is where GM's shine for value, brand new unless your leasing is a waste.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cwepruk
I personally don't mind the Outlook and it seems to be a decent vehicle, but it's primarily a Minivan/large CUV replacement and the price is reflective of the interior/performace you get. Simply having a DRL switch and power folding mirrors doesn't make it nicer.

Besides, the CX-9 is the one to get in that price range anyways.
The CX-9, at least if you believe Consumer Reports, has had reliability problems.

I agree with your take on the Outlook though. I think the four vehicles based on this platform (new one is coming from Chevy, too) are all pretty darn impressive. But, they are basically alteratives to mini-vans. They don't have much relevance for the RDX's ridership.

Now, if only GM could make a mid-sized SUV that is equally impressive.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by mau108
DEFINITELY 2nd hand is where GM's shine for value, brand new unless your leasing is a waste.
Here I'll perhaps reveal my ignorance on leasing - when you lease, you are paying for the depreciation on the vehicle, correct? I figured this is why there are millions of BMW 3-series on the road. If so, I'd think leasing a GM vehicle with high depreciation would be a horrible decision.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This thread does not belong here....