Chose RDX over TL

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 08:49 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chose RDX over TL

After much agonizing and indecision I finally decided to go with an RDX-tech instead of the TL w/nav. Both vehicles certainly have their merits. TL would have been cheaper, better fuel mileage and overall performance. However, I've driven a TL type S for 5 1/2 years now and as much as I've enjoyed it, I ultimately wanted to drive something a little different, not simply a new/improved version of the same car. In addition, the RDX is currently enjoying a certain level of exclusivety around my area as I've only seen "1" on the road since they came out and the Moroccan red I purchased is the only one I've seen period. I lost patience waiting for one to be delivered to a nearby dealer so my dealer acquired mine from PA. Also in the RDX's favor is the fact that the awd will be an asset in the upsate NY winters.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:58 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Cool -- I definitely understand the rationale. Congratulations and have fun!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:47 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by acuradave
After much agonizing and indecision I finally decided to go with an RDX-tech instead of the TL w/nav. Both vehicles certainly have their merits. TL would have been cheaper, better fuel mileage and overall performance. However, I've driven a TL type S for 5 1/2 years now and as much as I've enjoyed it, I ultimately wanted to drive something a little different, not simply a new/improved version of the same car. In addition, the RDX is currently enjoying a certain level of exclusivety around my area as I've only seen "1" on the road since they came out and the Moroccan red I purchased is the only one I've seen period. I lost patience waiting for one to be delivered to a nearby dealer so my dealer acquired mine from PA. Also in the RDX's favor is the fact that the awd will be an asset in the upsate NY winters.
Given you had 5 years on a TL type S, it must've been the older generation. I hope you test drove the new TL type S before you made your decision. That said, I love my RDX. Have fun with it.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:30 PM
9th Gear

Yes, I did drive the current generation TL which was very nice. I particularly liked the interior dash & center console. However, I think I would have gotten used to it in a very short period of time and therefore it wouldn't have felt like a "new" car for very long. The RDX will have a considerably longer learning curve before it begins to feel overly familiar.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:44 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey, CONGRATS on the RDX! My late wife had a '99 TL and she liked it a lot...and 5.5 years is a long time to go with a single ride, and then replace it with that model again...so I certainly don't blame you for changing that. Although I can see why you were torn -- that new TL-S is pretty awesome. Does it have the same nav as the RDX and all the voice-activated stuff?

I haven't decided if I'm buying an RDX yet, though I'm leaning that direction. Talked turkey with a local dealer today, they turned down my offer of 34200 out the door (incl all-season mats, wheel locks and mudflaps). My sales guy said it was likely b/c they didn't have the model I want (Tech/CBP/Ebony) in stock...but he also said they are getting this exact model in a few weeks and that he'd likely be in touch with me when it does arrive. So we'll see what happens. I think they'll come around.

ENJOY your new RDX!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Photographer

i also chose the RDX over the 06-07 TL. i went into Acura test drove the TL then i saw the RDX in the showroom. test drove that and the rest is history.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:52 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by acuradave
Yes, I did drive the current generation TL which was very nice. I particularly liked the interior dash & center console. However, I think I would have gotten used to it in a very short period of time and therefore it wouldn't have felt like a "new" car for very long. The RDX will have a considerably longer learning curve before it begins to feel overly familiar.
I left an '05 TL for an RDX. Without a doubt, the TL was a great car. Smooth, powerful, beautiful, comfortable, generally "perfectly balanced". Yawn.

I love how the RDX snarls when you push the gas pedal and cuts through corners in ways my TL never could.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Intermediate

I have test driven both tl and rdx. I think the Rdx is more car for the money. Has the shw-awd & more cargo space. Actually because of the discounts the rdx would be cheaper. We all have are own personal opinions. I think the rdx is a more balanced car, with better handling because of the shw-awd. Of course technically, the handling will be better on the tl, because of its weight and has less ground clearance.I am coming from a bmw 3 series with the sport package and I am more impressed with the rdx. I think the tl is to nose heavy for my tastes.