Choosing between 2007 RDXs

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choosing between 2007 RDXs

I've been looking and looking with high anxiety deciding what is the right car to buy to replace my old Passat. Yesterday, I decided I do NOT want another Passat (time for a change).

I drove two RDXs today and I loved them both. (I also loved the Lexus but it wobbled and had very high mileage).

So, one has reasonably low mileage for a 2007. Good car. The other has a technology package (I really, really like the backup camera, but the rest is fluff to me) and almost 20,000 more miles.

There's about a $500 difference between their asking prices.

With the higher mileage (55,000) and the tech package, should I try for that? Or should I stick to the 40,000 car? Or should I keep shopping and find a lower mileage higher price car with technology package?

Old 06-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Up to you man. I'd rather go with the lower mileage one unless you're a "techie" and need the DVD-A audio system and backup camera, etc. I have a 2008 base RDX and the audio system is more than sufficient (I'm also into home theatre and have a pretty awesome system so I know what sounds good) but that's beside the point. Go with what you prefer. A $500 differential is nothing in the long run. After all, it's a vehicle to get you from point A to point B and back to point A with total reliability. There are a lot of used RDXs now showing up on dealer lots as trade-ins so maybe the best thing is to stay cool, re-think it, drive them some more, play with the features, and finally choose.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, I just bought a 2007 Tech with 56K miles for $20,750 last week.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by eilros
FWIW, I just bought a 2007 Tech with 56K miles for $20,750 last week.
Correction: It had 54K miles.

Is there a way to edit posts?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:44 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
go with what feels right, a car with 40k may be in worse shape than the higher mileage one - so your choice should incorporate which one drives the best, sounds the best, and checks out, if at all, more favorably. Regarding the equipment - if the difference is nominal like 500 bucks, then, id really make my choice on which one appears to be in better shape.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by eilros
Correction: It had 54K miles.

Is there a way to edit posts?
That's great! Are you happy? was the $20,750 out the door? Does the car work well? What part of the country are you in?
Old 06-13-2010, 05:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
Up to you man. I'd rather go with the lower mileage one unless you're a "techie" and need the DVD-A audio system and backup camera, etc. I have a 2008 base RDX and the audio system is more than sufficient (I'm also into home theatre and have a pretty awesome system so I know what sounds good) but that's beside the point. Go with what you prefer. A $500 differential is nothing in the long run. After all, it's a vehicle to get you from point A to point B and back to point A with total reliability. There are a lot of used RDXs now showing up on dealer lots as trade-ins so maybe the best thing is to stay cool, re-think it, drive them some more, play with the features, and finally choose.
They seem to be in identical condition. They both sound, feel, and look good. With lack of a mechanical gene, I pretty much go by those things and guts.

I very much want the backup camera! All of the mini-accidents I have had have been backing up somewhere and scrunching something below visibility. AND I'm getting older.

All the other tech things seem superfluos, unless the BT Speaker/microphone is superior to the earpiece. The Nav system will release me from wires to my TomTom.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMike1981
go with what feels right, a car with 40k may be in worse shape than the higher mileage one - so your choice should incorporate which one drives the best, sounds the best, and checks out, if at all, more favorably. Regarding the equipment - if the difference is nominal like 500 bucks, then, id really make my choice on which one appears to be in better shape.
That's a big problem. I don't feel any difference in driving the two!
Old 06-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A few months ago I paid $21500 for an 07 with 38K.

For me it was all about getting a year of warranty while my GF finishes up less than a year of school. Avoiding repair cost until she is working.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:24 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by phineasboggs
That's a big problem. I don't feel any difference in driving the two!
id go with the 40k. imo, unless DVD-A is a must have, i think the base stereo holds its own and for some types of music sounds alot better, so - unless that backup cam is a deal breaker, go for the lower miles (and another 10k under warranty)

are they certified pre-owned? additionally, have you tried to find a 2008? you will gain memory seats, auto dim mirror, and standard BT - the base 07 does not have BT. That being said, I owned both a 2007 and currently the 08 - the 07 drives the best with the firmest springs/struts. They softened the ride a bit in the 08 but retained all the harshness. You may or may not notice a difference in ride, but i certainly did from the first moments behind the wheel. That being said, an 08 in this situation is a much better value if you can find one close in price/miles.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Thanks. Good info. I have no need for a DVD. Does the tech have a DVD? Hmmm. I just want the backup camera.

As I get the warranty, Acura's warranty is only 36 months. That's why there aren't many '08s out there, I figure. The new certified warranty is -- hmmm -- maybe 12-month / 12,000-mile Limited Warranty plus a 7-year / 100,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty. Come to review this, it's a pretty lousy CPO and maybe I should rethink buying an RDX. 12 months is nothing. I assumed it was at least 3 years! Pfui.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess maybe I'm just a tech nerd. I wouldn't consider buying an RDX without the tech package. To me, the tech package is its whole value proposition. We all know that on the luxury scale, the RDX is already a step below the MDX, RL or ZDX - and it has more than its share of squeaks, creaks and rattles. To me, a base RDX is just an overpriced, underpowered RAV4.

And yes, that's my opinion. If I just wanted a reliable small SUV, I'd go with something like the RAV rather than a used, base RDX.

Mike
Old 06-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Instructor

Hah. Been there and it didn't even have trip computers! I started with Saabs in early 80s and they had more tech stuff than the Rav 4. Sunroom. Seats came up so floor coud lie flat. Hatch. All simple, logical things that I thought all cars would soon have. But NOOOoo. They went out with the Saabs.

The RDX does have the innovations of the 80s and the tech package has even more. My Passat had all new gadgets too. The Rav4 was barebones! :thumbsdow And rough.

So, the RDX has all the things I had in the past plus some more. I'd rather have more techie things that are available than too few.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:11 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by catnippants
I guess maybe I'm just a tech nerd. I wouldn't consider buying an RDX without the tech package. To me, the tech package is its whole value proposition. We all know that on the luxury scale, the RDX is already a step below the MDX, RL or ZDX - and it has more than its share of squeaks, creaks and rattles. To me, a base RDX is just an overpriced, underpowered RAV4.

And yes, that's my opinion. If I just wanted a reliable small SUV, I'd go with something like the RAV rather than a used, base RDX.

Mike
im on the other side of the fence - having nav does nothing to the luxury equation, you can get a factory nav in basically most if not all manufacturers these days. The base model is a much better value by far; 3k+ markup on the 1st gen ELS & NAV is a joke - imo the RDX loses its value when it clocks in in the tech package. Motortrend called this when the 07 debuted:

"Several editors also thought the RDX's $37,165 price tag, even including the feature-rich Technology Package, was too steep, certainly considering it lacked such simple premium bits as automatic headlamps and hood struts. And while the RDX's normal-wear tally for one year and 27,914 miles cost us not a dime, its maintenance total-$692.52 for four oil changes, tire rotations, and full inspections, and one rear axle-fluid change-was more than that of our long-term full-size GMC Yukon, which ran us $484.72, albeit for 20,076 miles of service." 2007 Long Term Verdict Report

buying used is a different story and most fully juiced models are relatively similarly priced to base models because they are closer to the true value of the vehicle. Options grab you on the point of sale, but over time they become much much less valuable.

its just my personal preference to get a lower mileage vehicle.

Phineasboggs: the warranty is --->
All models enjoy a 4-year/50,000-mile limited warranty.

Acura powertrains are covered by a 6-year/70,000-mile16 limited warranty.

Outer body rust-through is covered by a 5-year/unlimited-mile16 limited warranty.

and in no way would i ever chose a V6 rav over the RDX, no matter what equipment it had. The truck, save for straight line acceleration, comes no where near the RDX. In fact Motortrend thought it wise to do this very comparison : http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

"Ultimately, however, the Mazda's head-turning style and the Toyota's superiority in addressing the sensible side of life were simply outpaced by the RDX's more compelling mix of personality, practicality, and driving exhilaration."

Last edited by MMike1981; 06-13-2010 at 10:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
phineasboggs (10-07-2011)
Old 06-13-2010, 10:19 PM
big shot.

...and just to add, i did the very same comparison before buying my RDX, went straight to toyota FIRST, said give me a V6 Limited, I took it for a spin and never looked at it again. Just not cut from the same cloth at all
Old 06-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MMike1981
...go for the lower miles (and another 10k under warranty) ....
Depending upon when the car was originally purchased, he may run out of time before he hits the 50K. If the particular RDX that he is looking at was purchased not long after they were released in 2006, he may only have a few months before it expires.

So, the RDX has all the things I had in the past plus some more. I'd rather have more techie things that are available than too few.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:42 AM
Instructor

At this point I'm getting tired of their manipulations. There are lots of rdxes in the sea. I'm looking at some others today and even Lexuses. Grrrr. I'm feeling POd right now.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:24 AM
big shot.

what are they manipulating?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Advanced

phineasboggs,

Any updates??
Old 06-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Instructor

Update: '07 RDX/Tech 23,000 miles!

Thanks you guys, for all your input and support! You made me think and reevaluate.

So, yesterday, I did it. Finally made a decision and bought an '07 tech. Silver, black interior. 23,000 miles. Clearwater dealer that is 30 minutes from my house.

I haven't yet taken delivery. It looked good and all systems go -- except for bald tires (how did that happen? All I can guess is original dealer changed out the tires before auction).

They're giving me new tires and going through with all the certification points again before I take delivery. They are replacing the Nav CD (it'd be nice if they were to give me an updated one).

As I type this, I'm suddenly scared.

Last edited by phineasboggs; 06-20-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Instructor

Angry bald tires at 20,000?

Thanks you guys, for all your input and support! You made me think and reevaluate.

So, yesterday, I did it. Finally made a decision and bought an '07 tech. Silver, black interior. 23,000 miles. Clearwater dealer that is 30 minutes from my house.

I haven't yet taken delivery. It looked good and all systems go -- except for bald tires (how did that happen? All I can guess is original dealer changed out the tires before auction).

They're giving me new tires and going through with all the certification points again before I take delivery. They are replacing the Nav CD (it'd be nice if they were to give me an updated one).

As I type this, I'm suddenly scared.
I would be terrified if it had bald tires...something stinks here.....I would have the suspension, ball joints, control arms, struts, gone over by an outside professional...speedometer rollback?
Old 06-21-2010, 12:57 PM
big shot.

before you do anyting, get it checked out by a 3rd party, always.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Instructor

I took delivery today and it still seems good to me. New Michelin tires today. Sounds good. Engine et al fine. Carfax and AutoCheck good. Totally certified. I still think original dealer from other florida coast took tires as well as Nav CD. I have until 2012 with full warranty. If I have any inkling of malfeasance, it'll go back PDQ. Salesguy says he'll give full price back if I don't want it. hahaha.

I'm excited.

Last edited by phineasboggs; 06-21-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:48 PM
big shot.

enjoy it!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Instructor

My friend, the former BMW master mechanic, looked over my new '07 RDX today. He says it's terrific. In great shape. As for the tires, he says that tires today usualy last max 20,000. Who knew! He likes the quality of my new Michelins.

Phew. I'm a happy camper.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Instructor

How much were you able to pick it up for? (If you don't mind sharing, of course). I got an 07 Silver/Blk but non-tech for $23k OTD. Found out it had a bunch of issues (covered under warranty)...and I'm afraid that I'm starting to notice some more. It was a HORRIBLE car buying experience for me (first time buyer)...and I think in the end I got fed up with salesmen and "settled". Now I know...be a jerk when you're buying a car. Ask to see anything and everything you need to see before you sign the papers. Ok...maybe not a jerk...but I was WAY too nice. I'm still happy with the RDX...maybe not 100% with this one in particular...but the RDX in general is a fun/practical car for me. I think half of me wishes I had gotten a tech one...but then again I'm a huge tech guy...haha.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:55 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Congrats! You made the right choice with getting the Tech model. Anyone without it regrets it later on.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1
How much were you able to pick it up for? (If you don't mind sharing, of course). I got an 07 Silver/Blk but non-tech for $23k OTD. Found out it had a bunch of issues (covered under warranty)...and I'm afraid that I'm starting to notice some more. It was a HORRIBLE car buying experience for me (first time buyer)...and I think in the end I got fed up with salesmen and "settled". Now I know...be a jerk when you're buying a car. Ask to see anything and everything you need to see before you sign the papers. Ok...maybe not a jerk...but I was WAY too nice. I'm still happy with the RDX...maybe not 100% with this one in particular...but the RDX in general is a fun/practical car for me. I think half of me wishes I had gotten a tech one...but then again I'm a huge tech guy...haha.
I'm a techie too, albeit much older . Buying a car is always agony for me. I walked away from cars where they wouldn't negotiate one penny--and they lost the sale. The dealer I went to (Crown, in Clearwater), and the salesman, LS, were the best experience I've had car buying via dealers. The Sarasota deal would have been cheaper up-front, but more in the long run. Plus, I felt distrustful.
And I figure I can get a newer car in the future, and actually sell this car because of its lower mileage.

Be sure to keep up on your payments and get out of the deal when you can find a tech package.

What, exactly, is wrong? What a PITA!

Last edited by phineasboggs; 06-26-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by princelybug
Congrats! You made the right choice with getting the Tech model. Anyone without it regrets it later on.
I agree! And better, yet, a different car from a different dealer. The Sarasota cars had high mileage. That made me nervous. I paid more, but I got 23,000 miles.

Thanks for the congrats. I'm happy.