Change 2 transmission fluid filters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change 2 transmission fluid filters?

My new (to me) 2011 RDX has 385,000 km on it, and the transmission fluid is original (i suspect). I want to change the filter(s) when I change the ATF, but I find 2 filters listed for this vehicle:

25450-P4V-013
25420-RWE-014

The first is a paper filter (cylinder), the second is the more traditional large plastic screen usually setting within the pan. When I read the ATF change instructions post, I didn't see any mention of the filters. Has anyone changed one or both of these? Any advice on which & how to change these?
Old 01-18-2024, 01:35 PM
Advanced

After have a close look at the transmission underneath, there is no obvious "pan", so I'm guessing the plastic screen is not replaceable without the transmission being removed?

And as for the paper filter (cylindrical), I could not find the filter cover ("A" shown in diagram below). Is this filter cover located between the engine and transmission? Again, does the transmission need to be removed to access this? The flat outline on the part below suggests it's a mating surface to either a plate, or the engine. Hoping someone can post a photo of how to reach this.

Old 01-23-2024, 07:53 PM
5th Gear

I will defer to others with more experience and knowledge, but I don't believe those filters are typically changed during ATF changes on these car. In fact they may not be accessible without taking the transmission case apart. If I am not mistaken for some cars the ATF change entails dropping the pan to drain the fluid, which then gives you access to the filter that you can swap out. I don't think that is the approach for the 1st gen RDX. I think the normal 1st gen RDX procedure is just to remove the drain plug, drain the old fluid, replace the drain plug (also swap in new drain plug washer), remove the fill plug, refill with new fluid, and replace the fill plug (also swap in new fill plug washer).

If it is helpful at all based on the three most recent dealer service records I have for ATF changes, they only list: the ATF, the two different sized washers, and some brake clean (probably just for cleaning the transmission case).

Do you have the full RDX service manual or did you find just that one page in a google search or on the forum? I ask because the manual I have lists that ATF Filter Removal/Inspection/Installation in the Transmission Disassembly section. So I think that diagram and procedure only applies to taking the transmission apart.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:26 PM
Advanced

I have the service manual, and it shows the filters and the steps to remove them. However, I suspect that removing the transmission is implied...so yeah just a fluid change I guess