Cars you have smoked...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007 | 01:04 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry, but for the newbie here, what's a 'GN' ?

Btw, this thread is pretty damn funny. As a RDX and 3rd gen RX-7 owner, putting up my RDX against a sports car is some crazy wishful thinking folks...

Old 08-06-2007 | 01:09 PM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by Kilroy440

Btw, this thread is pretty damn funny. As a RDX and 3rd gen RX-7 owner, putting up my RDX against a sports car is some crazy wishful thinking folks...

Grand National.
Old 08-06-2007 | 02:21 PM
大日本帝国

Originally Posted by sasair
I clearly stated that any posts off-topic from here on out will be deleted and I reminded everyone what the topic was.
Then just from page 4/5, posts 95 - 97, 109 - 118 should be deleted. Your post saying that was modified AFTER I had posted. No need to argue, as arguing is pointless.

~Cheers~
Old 08-06-2007 | 10:48 PM
Safety Car

...., what's a 'GN' ?
1987 Buick Grand National

Comments: 1987 was the last year for the Regal and the Grand National, but Buick decided to go out with a bang (although the rear wheel drive G-body platform would last one more year until 1988). A whooping 26,555 Turbo Regals were sold, of which 20,193 were Grand Nationals. Buick made some changes to the powertrain and power increased to 245 bhp and 355 lb-ft. The grille was slightly revised, with the teeth set further apart and the Buick emblem siting on the left side. Chrome wheels also were new.

But the big news for 1987 was the introduction of the limited edition GNX. Only available for 1987, the Buick GNX represents the height of Grand National performance. In a nod to the famous Buick GSXs of 1970-1972, the GNX logo featured a larger "X" than the other letters, just like the GSX logo. All GNXs began life as fully optioned Grand Nationals that immediately left the factory and were sent to ASC/McLaren Specialty Products in order to be extensively modified. The modifications included a more efficient Garrett air-to-air intercooler and a special pipe that connected the intercooler to the engine coated with CERMATEL (Ceramic/aluminum) for increased heat rejection and heat disipation. Front fender vents were installed to pull heat away from the engine while driving. The GNX also received a special Garrett "hybrid" T-s turbocharger that used a very lightweight ceramic impeller (as opposed to metal in standard Grand Nationals). The decreased weight allows the turbo charger to spin up much faster, thereby decreasing the turbo lag time inherent in turbo charged engines. Maximum boost was set at 15 psi and the turbo used an electric wastegate. The turbo also incorporated special low drag, dynamic turbine shaft seals, and a built in contamination trap. All of these modifications added up to 275 bhp and a whooping 360 lb-ft. To handle this extra power, the transmission was beefed up with firmer shifts and the rear axle received a longitudinal torque ladder bar with a panhard rod to help prevent wheel hop and torque twist. It also received a special rear axle housing cover made of aluminum (with GNX embossed on it) that serves as an additional strengthening element and point for the torque bar. For even more strengthening, the car body received special structural reinforcements in the form of "behind the back seat bracing" and special chassis (steel cross member between the chassis rails) bracing. The GNX was the only Regal to ever receive 16 inch wheels. The wheels were made of a lightweight alloy and the rear wheels were wider than the front. The GNX came with P245/50VR16 tires in front and P255/50VR16 tires in the rear. Special welded in fender flares were added to the wheel wells to make room for the larger wheels and tires. The standard transmission was a reprogrammed Turbo Hydra-matic 200-4R four speed hooked up to a custom torque converter. Inside, the dash had a special Steward Warner analog gauge package. All GNXs were black in color and the only exterior identification was small "GNX" badges placed on the front radiator grille and rear deck lid. Under the hood, a special turbocharger heat shield had "GNX" stamped on it, similar to the aluminum rear axle cover. All GNXs received a special numbered plaque mounted on the passenger side dash which identified the number of that particular car (1-547). Also, the Fisher body plate has "GNX" stamped on it. Special "GNX" decals were used on the intercooler and other locations and there were several hidden I.D. stampings to prevent fakes. But all of this came at a price. The cost of the GNX option was a whopping $10,995, which resulted in a final MSRP of $29,900. All out performance doesn't come cheap.

Even more rare are the Buick Regal T-Type "Special T." These models had a Grand National exterior, but a Regal T-Type interior.

Production: Grand Nationals: 20,193 GNX: 547
Engines: Grand National: 3.8L V6 Turbo 245 bhp @ 4400 rpm, 355 ft-lb @ 2000 rpm. GNX: 3.8L V6 Turbo 276 bhp @ 4400 rpm, 360 ft-lb @ 3000 rpm.
Performance: Grand National: 1/4 mile in 14.23 seconds @ 98 mph. GNX: 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.43 seconds @ 103 mph.
$29,900 in 1987 !!
Old 08-07-2007 | 01:02 AM
Burning Brakes

It is indeed turning out to be rather funny and comical at the same time... Initially though, thought it was rather insensible (and ....... can't mention comment here, otherwise it would be considered OOT) to see claims of RDX victories on the public road over far superior sport cars...

So let's join in the fun and entertainment... and see how many road-race "victories" the RDX is "truly" worthy of...

And then I will look at my RDX and "reminace" of it's performance "heritage" on this thread...
Old 08-07-2007 | 03:23 AM
Senior Moderator

this thread went from fun banter to heavy hating real quick...
Old 08-12-2007 | 09:21 PM
Instructor

I didn't know this stupid thread still existed... the mods didn't close it yet? wow...
Old 01-20-2008 | 12:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Heat03
don't even think about placing a G35 on your "smoked" list.. until we meet at a red light...
South Fla here and I'm waiting for ya.....
Gonna have to agree. Also read earlier that a FX35 lost to a RDX. I just remember that my old FX-35 pulls harder than my RDX. Just my
Old 01-20-2008 | 05:45 PM
Race Director

too much bs from the original poster
Old 01-20-2008 | 10:46 PM
Instructor

So much depends on the driver. I find it hard to believe the RDX can take an Infiniti G35. In fact, that's impossible. The G35 is a full second quicker, 0 to 60. The driver lacked heart, that's all.

In addition to my SUVs, I have a 2002 Altima V6. When it was new, I took down a BMW 330. We were actually nose to nose until the needle went over 120 and the Beamer driver lost heart, got scared whatever. The 2002 Alty actually has a higher top end than the 2003 - 2006. In 2003, they changed the tires on the V6 and put in a cutoff limiter at about 119. I've taken my 2002 up to just under 130. It still didn't cut off.

So, you see a lot depends on the driver. I can't admit to having slain any hot cars in my RDX. The CR-Vs I've dusted don't count. They aren't worthy opponents. I actually did slay some kind of a Ford (I couldn't make out the exact model in the dark), but it was no Mustang. Climbing steep grades, my RDX doesn't feel as quick as my 2002 Alty V6.
Old 01-21-2008 | 08:20 AM
Intermediate

I find it hard to believe the RDX can take an Infiniti G35. In fact, that's impossible.
Coming from someone who traded a G for an RDX, I will have to whole-heartedly agree. There is no way that the RDX I drive now is faster than my G was (unless there is snow on the ground!!)

R
Old 01-21-2008 | 11:52 AM
Pro

I own a Maxima which is FWD, a bit heavier and similar power to a pre-07 G35 Sedan.

The RDX is slower.

The 2007+ G35's are notably quicker than the older versions as well.
Old 01-21-2008 | 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

It's amazing this thread is still going... It was started by some RDX enthusiast who thinks his RDX is the "King of the Road"... question is why are people still debating the prowess of this vehicle?
The RDX is very peppy, but not that fast... managed to only keep neck to neck with a 3.5L Altima (personal experience). Faster than a G35 or G387?, no way...

Just enjoy your RDXs, and stop being concerned if other cars are faster...
Old 01-23-2008 | 08:55 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

I work at Acura. The RDX is a great vehicle, if it's the type of vehicle you're looking for (i.e. small sport ute). But having driven God knows how many RDXs, as well as all of our vehicles, and personally owning an 07 TL-S 6MT, I have to agree with some of the comments on this page. I find it hard to believe, if both vehicles were trying, that and RDX could take a TL-S, regardless of speed, etc.

Yes, I know this has seem to turn into an RDX vs TL thing, and I'm sorry to add to it. But as a TL-S owner, I just can't sit back. Add to that that C/D tested the TL-S at 14.1 @101 and .93g, and Autoweek (sorry, couldn't find C/D) tested the RDX at 15.5 @ 89.9 and .80g...I recall seeing a time somewhere of an RDX tested by a mag and running 15.1 or 15.2... but still.

Again, the RDX is a great vehicle. I enjoy being able to hear it spool up, etc. I just had to give my two cents.
Old 01-24-2008 | 11:06 AM
big shot.

wow.
Old 01-24-2008 | 11:42 AM
Newbie for Life

Gotta blame SinCity for dragging this 6 month old thread out of the depths...

I'm dumber for just reading these last two pages again...wow, indeed.
Old 01-24-2008 | 08:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mav238
It's amazing this thread is still going... It was started by some RDX enthusiast who thinks his RDX is the "King of the Road"... question is why are people still debating the prowess of this vehicle?
The RDX is very peppy, but not that fast... managed to only keep neck to neck with a 3.5L Altima (personal experience). Faster than a G35 or G387?, no way...

Just enjoy your RDXs, and stop being concerned if other cars are faster...
LOL. Ya, I have one of those 3.5L V6 Altimas AND and RDX. RDX is fairly competitive with one on flat terrain, but going up steep dry grades, my Altima is faster. I don't know what that is. It just seems to accelerate uphill quicker.
Old 01-26-2008 | 09:42 AM
El Chulo...

Red face got smoked...

Its good to see the old thread back, add some spice to the RDX page! I currently ran against a S2000 CR (new club racing model). I managed to hang for a little bit but he was just too light weight.. Kept on pulling away from me. I was really impressed. After a few sprints in the highway he gave me the thumbs up and or friendly honk for enthusiasts approval. Can't wait until I get my CAI, love to run again with 20 hp more!

Paz
Old 02-01-2008 | 12:32 AM
Instructor

Hey, what a fun thread! This is obviously just a bunch of Acura owners who love their RDX's. No offense should be taken. With that said, I'd like to see any N/A car run with a turbo at 10,000+ feet in the Colorado mountains. They'll be coughing and wheezing just trying to keep up, lol.
Old 02-01-2008 | 01:21 AM
Cruisin'

I honestly don't believe that an rdx will beat a 07 type s.
Old 02-01-2008 | 09:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by whuynh
I honestly don't believe that an rdx will beat a 07 type s.
No, an RDX will probably not beat an 07 type s, but he would make him have to work a little bit, and that's the point.
Old 02-01-2008 | 09:41 AM
big shot.

did some runs with an 00 ML350 AMG w/mods. tie every time. mid range, my rdx pulled better, top end, the ml gained back. this was a tie with 2 ppl in the ML & 3 total in my RDX. the rdx has balls. keeping it in S mode, and hovering in the 4's on the tach, the RDX would be waiting to pounce. it does in fact give many other higher end machines a run for their money, and what more could you ask for? in the end its still a suv, i just love the fact that waiting in the wings its ready to rock when u want it to.
Old 02-01-2008 | 11:03 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MMike1981
did some runs with an 00 ML350 AMG w/mods.
ML350 AMG is not an AMG. It is a standard ML with the AMG ground effects. A 2000 AMG is a ML55.
Old 02-01-2008 | 11:08 AM
big shot.

im sorry...its a 55. brain fart.
Old 02-01-2008 | 11:16 AM
Pro

I too have a brain fart.....the 350 engine did not come in until a few years later as well.
Old 02-01-2008 | 11:21 AM
big shot.

his 55 amg, for a 5k lb plus vehicle, we can clock it at around 6.4 secs 0-60. hes got some onboard stuff for measurments
Old 02-01-2008 | 01:15 PM
El Chulo...

Talking

Originally Posted by scottRDX
No, an RDX will probably not beat an 07 type s, but he would make him have to work a little bit, and that's the point.
exactly my point. These sports sedans and coupes have to work hard for the money and thats what its all about!
Old 02-01-2008 | 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VeNeNo
exactly my point. These sports sedans and coupes have to work hard for the money and thats what its all about!
Here we go again...

So we buy the RDX to make those sport sedans and coupes "work hard for their money"... wow... Life must be that meaningless and boring for some people that we need to get our dose of excitement from racing a CUV against sports sedans...

Take those kind of urge to the tracks and you can whip those guys for all you want...

I have driven many friends and relatives in my RDX, and they all know it has a potent turbocharged engine inside... but never in one case (there are middle-aged and also younger ones), did they ever say, "hey see if you can kick that sports sedan ass"...
I usually get instead, ... "wow, it has got pretty good torque, good for pulling ahead of slower moving traffic like a big trailer truck"...

It is a CUV for goodness sake...

If you really think the RDX is all that great a sports car... try running it on a aggressive race track, with really tight turns, against say a BMW M3, and see if your RDX does not roll over first in one of those high speed banking turns...

It is NOT A sports performance vehicle... grow up and smell the coffee beans...
Old 02-01-2008 | 04:42 PM
El Chulo...

Originally Posted by mav238
Here we go again...

So we buy the RDX to make those sport sedans and coupes "work hard for their money"... wow... Life must be that meaningless and boring for some people that we need to get our dose of excitement from racing a CUV against sports sedans...

It is NOT A sports performance vehicle... grow up and smell the coffee beans...
Mav take it easy we're just having a good old fashioned time. Nobody here wants to race with M3's on the track. We just want to have some fun while carrying some laundry or groceries in the back, all while in luxury...
Old 02-02-2008 | 12:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Mav take it easy we're just having a good old fashioned time. Nobody here wants to race with M3's on the track. We just want to have some fun while carrying some laundry or groceries in the back, all while in luxury...

Oh I see... But isn't it enough to know that in principle, the RDX has really good torque numbers to effortlessly pass a vehicle travelling at most typical traffic speeds (freeway or street)?

Do you have to go around and pick a "race fight" with sports sedans and coupes on the regular pedestrain roads? Honestly, please admit this, nobody really picks a "race" with a CUV... even those rice-boy types driving the modified civics and golfs... It would never be on their radar screen for racing... so if you say you race with those sport sedans, it has got to be because you "pick" the race fight" with them... Question is: What is the point of this "old fashioned time" fun? To prove what?
That type of old fashioned time fun is better had at a real race track, where you can really push your vehicle to it's limits and explore its real potential and build up your inflated ego at the same time... Hey, you might get lucky and actually kick a M3 ass...

Yes, I have to personally admit, when I see a long line of slower moving cars on one side of a multi-lane freeway, it does feel good to be able to kick that turbo and just pull right ahead of the whole line of cars and get in front of them.
On a regular street, where there are other "innocent" bystander cars, it is not the place to show off your RDX prowess, plus, in many cases, those "would be challengers" are really not interested im running against you, so even if you beat them, so what... maybe they just didn't try their best for fear of crashing their cars and hurting other people at the same time... really... please grow up...

I am glad I am not in Queens NYC...
Old 02-02-2008 | 01:41 PM
Newbie for Life

You should...it would be safer for all the innocent people that you're sharing the road with as you "street race" some other punk next to you.
Old 02-02-2008 | 04:42 PM
aTLien

hmmm have a hard time believing it would beat tl-s... you were prob just a better driver then him
Old 02-03-2008 | 09:12 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Originally Posted by Tripp11
You should...it would be safer for all the innocent people that you're sharing the road with as you "street race" some other punk next to you.

mav and tripp...i agree with your position on street racing. yes generally it is dangerous, sometimes the only one you will hurt is yourself, still not smart i know. but these are stories ppl are telling about things that HAVE happened, there not planning street races. its too late to lecture them. i understand your frustration but if you disapprove of this thread i would just let it go. its already too late anyway.

o and yes the car has sweet torque and hp, some ppl just like to talk about how those numbers played out on the road. and to some ppl there is more to a car than just utility and passing cars on the highway, there is a fun factor, i think that is something that attracted nearly all of us to this car, practical yet FUN!

my
Old 02-03-2008 | 11:22 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by neo1738
mav and tripp...i agree with your position on street racing. yes generally it is dangerous, sometimes the only one you will hurt is yourself, still not smart i know. but these are stories ppl are telling about things that HAVE happened, there not planning street races. its too late to lecture them. i understand your frustration but if you disapprove of this thread i would just let it go. its already too late anyway.
Punk ass street racers are caught up in the moment...looking for that adrenaline rush...another person's safety is the last thing on their mind...they need to be lectured as often as possible before they or some innocent victim becomes a statistic.

As I've said countless times, if it was just these Darwin Award Winners that killed themselves by street racing, let's freaking weed out the gene pool with these idots and let them all leave their families wondering what happened and why; BUT it's not just them. Innocent people are caught up in their ego play, and that's VERY disturbing to anyone with half a freaking brain.

It's never too late and I'm not just going to let it go as long as these dipshits continue to excessively speed, bob and weave in/out of traffic, and continue to endanger other people's lives.

I understand the point of the thread...to talk about how "quick" the RDX is compared to another vehicle, but Road & Track or Edmunds or a thousand other auto sites have done PLENTY of testing to let people know how quick or how well one car brakes over another.
Old 02-03-2008 | 12:49 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Originally Posted by Tripp11
It's never too late and I'm not just going to let it go as long as these dipshits continue to excessively speed, bob and weave in/out of traffic, and continue to endanger other people's lives.
funny thing is you cant prove any of them endangered anyones lives but their own. so why get all amped up and start using swear words when people are just telling tales, heck some of these might even be made up. all i'm saying is everyone who posts knows street racing is stupid, even if it is just you and the other guy racing on the road, there not here for a lecture, there here to talk about their car. The posts like this one just fuel situations and create problems.
*ahem* AP *ahem*

If you want to give information on why not to street race before swearing and getting all amped up, give some information, statistics, etc. I have done some research here for them to check out.

http://www.nhra.com/streetlegal/stats.html
Old 02-03-2008 | 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow people on the RDX board are kinda uptight . If you think VeNeNo's bad now, you should've seen him back in the day's of his turbo eclipse with the park bench spoiler! haha I personally know of Mr. VeNeNo's speeding addiction ( if its any compensation, the last time i chilled w/him he got 3 tickets in 1 stop haha) since we went to high school and college together and are fraternity brothers.

To be honest with you when you're out there on the road and you and someone else get engaged in race, you're not maliciously thinking "i dont give a damn about anyone else on the road, I'm gonna do what i want and endanger everyone!". You're caught up in the moment which it is easy to do, but as long as the roads are empty and the only person u can hurt is yourself by crashing into a tree or something, a lil contest here and there isn't so bad. After driving VeNeNo's RDX, its no wonder why RDX owners have a tendency to punch it once in a while, as long as the roads are relatively empty as i stated before. That way you're taking on the risk personally instead of imposing it on fellow road going patrons, and you'll know you're taking the risk of that radar gun being fixated on you and the person you're racing lol.

I think every car enthusiasts has gone through the days of racing anything with wheels all willy nilly up and down the streets and even now laugh when we see 16 year old ricers in their eclipses and civics , but as we get older we have to mature and think about the consequences of such actions and the right times and conditions to act on our need for speed, which should honestly be kept at a track but sometimes it happens on highways.
Old 02-03-2008 | 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh, btw happy birthday VeNeNo!
Old 02-03-2008 | 03:55 PM
07 RDX White w/tech

Highway merging

Well I never"smoked" anyone, however when I merge onto a highway I like to accelerate quickly to get on to it asap. I cant stand people who are in front of you in the merging lane going like 30 to 40 mph onto a highway that isnt full at all with a speed limit of 65. In times like these I have passed easily many SUVs like lexus 350 and alot of BMW 3's.
Old 02-03-2008 | 04:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HenryFL
Well I never"smoked" anyone, however when I merge onto a highway I like to accelerate quickly to get on to it asap. I cant stand people who are in front of you in the merging lane going like 30 to 40 mph onto a highway that isnt full at all with a speed limit of 65. In times like these I have passed easily many SUVs like lexus 350 and alot of BMW 3's.

Agreed! Few things are more aggravating to me than slow drivers in the passing lane on a highway with few cars on it. GTF out of the way, please!

I admit I really haven't taken my RDX out to test its limits. I've only gotten it to 100 mph once and in the 90s only a handful of times. By contrast, I've gotten my Altima 3.5 liter V6 up into the mid to high 120s several times. The adrenaline rush you receive is unbelievable. It's almost like an orgasm.
Old 02-03-2008 | 07:28 PM
Newbie for Life

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...th-racing.html

http://www.allistonherald.com/allist.../article/49449

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_6416.aspx

http://www.sshep.com/street_racing.htm

http://www.eyeoutforyou.com/news/local/13698082.html

Hundreds of articles are out there about INNOCENT people killed by punk ass street racers.

Want to street race and kill yourself? Fine... Don't endanger other people's lives and kill them.

Quick Reply: Cars you have smoked...