Buying an 2011 RDX...FWD or AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying an 2011 RDX...FWD or AWD?

I've decided to buy a 2011 RDX for my wife. Our dealer has the color she wants w/Tech pkg in both FWD and AWD. Neither one of us have ever had an AWD vehicle. We have both lived in NJ our entire lives (no jokes please!).

It's about $2500 more and 2 mph less for AWD.

Is it worth it? Will we really notice a difference in the performance?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never driven a front wheel drive RDX, but I can't imagine why anyone would buy one. I have driven many front wheel drive vehicles. With this much torque, they inevitably suffer from torque steer. AWD is made for this car. You If you want to save 1-2 mpg you should avoid the $38000 sporty small suv and look into a Prius. Of course this is only my opinion.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Cruisin'

It's not a money issue. It's about performance. I agree that if I was worried about 1-2 I should be something else.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Cruisin'

Actually, I should be more worried about being brain dead and unable to proof read my replies. I should have said, "I agree that if I was worried about 1-2 mph I should buy something else"
Old 01-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Awd - all the way!

Are you still in NJ; the AWD will come in very handy like the blizzard we just had about two weeks ago.

Also the AWD handles like a champ on dry and wet roads. (Almost like a go-kart IMO.)
I would suggest you to test drive both and see the differences.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Advanced

Super Handling All Wheel Drive is definitely the way to go. great for turns and rainy/wet roads also
Old 01-07-2011, 09:23 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,186 Posts
I have a FWD TSX and sh-awd RDX and the RDX is more fun to drive when the road has a few turns at high speeds. Both car go where they are pointed and I can get the wife car sick and the kid sliding in the back (TSX=A-spec suspension + Progress RSB, RDX=Eibach springs + Hondata). FWD is what I need 99% of the time in both cars. Depending on tires, a FWD car will get you from A to B just like an awd car in most conditions. We had 4 inches of snow in NM before X-mas and the wife drove the TSX with Conti DWS compared to the RDX with OEM tires because the TSX felt more secure on the road.

If you think about it, in normal driving conditions you only need the “awd” ability at most. You only use the “sh” in accelerating and cornering at the same time like taking a 35 mph curve at +50 mph. I’ve taken the same 35mph up to 45mph and didn’t see a change on the sh-awd indicator other than plain old regular awd lights. Most folks you see upside down in the median are usually not paying attention to the road conditions and sh-awd is not a substitute for poor driving skills.

If you wife drives the RDX like my wife, sh-awd will not be fully utilized until you get behind the wheel.

FWD RDX = 190 lbs less weight + faster acceleration + better gas mileage + same fun to drive factor + 2-3 less trip to the gas pump per year.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltngbg99
I have never driven a front wheel drive RDX, but I can't imagine why anyone would buy one. I have driven many front wheel drive vehicles. With this much torque, they inevitably suffer from torque steer. AWD is made for this car. You If you want to save 1-2 mpg you should avoid the $38000 sporty small suv and look into a Prius. Of course this is only my opinion.
+1 getting AWD is a given for this car. I've driven quite a few and none have been FWD. I would never buy an SUV or crossover vehicle without AWD IMHO.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan00313
+1 getting AWD is a given for this car. I've driven quite a few and none have been FWD. I would never buy an SUV or crossover vehicle without AWD IMHO.
+2

Get AWD.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We just bought a 2011 FWD RDX that my wife will use.

The decision really boils down to use scenarios. If your driving scenario is primarily city driving and you are not an aggressive driver, the FWD is more than adequate. I grew up in Toronto and used FWD on vehicles there -- there was never a need for AWD for the type of driving I did.

Conversely, if you do a lot of country driving or like to push the driving regardless of conditions, then AWD is a big benefit.

The AWD on the RDX provides added traction control as it can shift drive power side to side as well as back and front. Folks who like to drive fast, corner quickly or face much wet/inclement roads find this a big plus for the AWD.

For us, FWD was more than adequate. My wife is not an aggressive driver and our occasional trips to the back roads are more than accommodated by the FWD vehicle. And besides, saving a few thousand upfront and a tank or two of gas over the year works for me! :-)

Whichever you choose, I believe you will love the RDX. We are thrilled with ours so far!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Boost Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Local dealer won't even bring in fwd - you have to special order it. For this type of vehicle, AWD all the way.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by JSkip58
I've decided to buy a 2011 RDX for my wife. Our dealer has the color she wants w/Tech pkg in both FWD and AWD. Neither one of us have ever had an AWD vehicle. We have both lived in NJ our entire lives (no jokes please!).

It's about $2500 more and 2 mph less for AWD.

Is it worth it? Will we really notice a difference in the performance?

Thanks
If you are still trying to decide, given your location it's not even worth buying the FWD. Being in the North East it's rare to find FWD or RWD SUVs, people like to know they have AWD for the snow. Also, if performance is what you want, the FWD is definitely NOT what you are looking for.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:47 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
if you are going to buy one go for the awd. Yes I am also a born and raised Jersey Girl and proud of it.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:09 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by wrestrepo
If you are still trying to decide, given your location it's not even worth buying the FWD. Being in the North East it's rare to find FWD or RWD SUVs, people like to know they have AWD for the snow. Also, if performance is what you want, the FWD is definitely NOT what you are looking for.
+1

You may regret buying the FWD when you need it for snow. You won't regret getting the AWD at all.

1-2mpg difference is not a biggie. IMHO.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Pro

Regardless if you have snow or not in your area; awd is generally a lot better in handling. Also with acura SH-AWD kicking it; it makes it that much more fun and better.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Actually, I should be more worried about being brain dead and unable to proof read my replies. I should have said, "I agree that if I was worried about 1-2 mph I should buy something else"
That is mpg.

Originally Posted by gwickes
We just bought a 2011 FWD RDX that my wife will use.

The decision really boils down to use scenarios. If your driving scenario is primarily city driving and you are not an aggressive driver, the FWD is more than adequate. I grew up in Toronto and used FWD on vehicles there -- there was never a need for AWD for the type of driving I did.

Conversely, if you do a lot of country driving or like to push the driving regardless of conditions, then AWD is a big benefit.

The AWD on the RDX provides added traction control as it can shift drive power side to side as well as back and front. Folks who like to drive fast, corner quickly or face much wet/inclement roads find this a big plus for the AWD.

For us, FWD was more than adequate. My wife is not an aggressive driver and our occasional trips to the back roads are more than accommodated by the FWD vehicle. And besides, saving a few thousand upfront and a tank or two of gas over the year works for me! :-)

Whichever you choose, I believe you will love the RDX. We are thrilled with ours so far!
Yep, the RDX FWD is a great choice if you are looking for reliable transportation and located in an area with a moderate climate. Although my mother has experienced a Texas snow storm, I'll bet it doesn't happen very often. Does it snow in NY?

Last edited by Mr Marco; 01-07-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Yep, the RDX FWD is a great choice if you are looking for reliable transportation and located in an area with a moderate climate. Although my mother has experienced a Texas snow storm, I'll bet it doesn't happen very often. Does it snow in NY?
LOL re snowing in NY... and no one wants to be on the road here in Texas when it snows (occassionally) or ices (more often) with a nice car like the RDX when the Texas mad drivers are running (slipping?) about in their pickups!!

Also wrestrepo makes a good point re geographic availability of FWD and AWD. I know the dealers in Dallas area have FWD as default and AWD is special order... so makes sense that NE would have AWD as most plentiful.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO the size alone warrants these vehicles being AWD.

My wife has a 2010 RDX SH-AWD and we came from a 2004 BMX X3 (which was also AWD).

And yes, we're from NJ also and the way people drive during a snowstorm here I would never drive a FWD SUV.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Cruisin'

Hmmm, sounds like I should get the AWD. That's good because today I did, the AWD w/Tech pkg!!! Ironically, today it snowed in NJ!

We pick it up next week since our dealer had to locate the color combo (white/taupe) at another dealer.

My wife's 17 years of driving mini vans ends next week. Now there will be another Acura to keep my 06 TL company in the garage!

Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JCRDX11
Regardless if you have snow or not in your area; awd is generally a lot better in handling. Also with acura SH-AWD kicking it; it makes it that much more fun and better.
Exactly! Once you go SH-AWD you'll never want a two wheel drive vehicle ever again! It is that awesome. SH-AWD performs year-round whether dry, rain, snow, other. It makes the driving experience so much better in any condition.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Pro

Thumbs up

Congrats on the new ride! You won't regard it! ~

Hmmm, sounds like I should get the AWD. That's good because today I did, the AWD w/Tech pkg!!! Ironically, today it snowed in NJ!

We pick it up next week since our dealer had to locate the color combo (white/taupe) at another dealer.

My wife's 17 years of driving mini vans ends next week. Now there will be another Acura to keep my 06 TL company in the garage!

Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Instructor

Glad to see you made the right decision. Enjoy. By the way, I wasn't calling you cheap. Sorry.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:14 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
they come in FWD , you learn something new everyday , but seriously thought, i thought they only came in AWD for some reason
Old 01-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Cruisin'

No problem. I often said during the SUV search that if we can't afford the gas, an option, etc. we should look for something less expensive.

It was an interesting process. I originally had several "luxury" models picked out, but when we drove the RDX and saw all the amenities you get, it made the RDX the winner.

The Infiniti EX35 came in second. The major drawback was the lack of space in the back and in the back seat. It drove like a car, since I think it's a G35 with a hatch.

We are both excited and looking forward to picking it up on Weds.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:32 PM
B A N N E D

No problem. I often said during the SUV search that if we can't afford the gas, an option, etc. we should look for something less expensive.

It was an interesting process. I originally had several "luxury" models picked out, but when we drove the RDX and saw all the amenities you get, it made the RDX the winner.

The Infiniti EX35 came in second. The major drawback was the lack of space in the back and in the back seat. It drove like a car, since I think it's a G35 with a hatch.

We are both excited and looking forward to picking it up on Weds.
:nod especially if you are looking at "luxury" vehicles, you more then likely can afford the extra gas (and don't cheap out and put in the cheap shit either, it needs Premium gas at a minimum, especially with that hair dryer [turbo] under the hood, and in all reality it only adds up to like a $1 or 2 per tank; so if you fill up once a week, what's an extra $100 a year )

also i would recommend SHELL gas too, if readily available to you, most cars seem to the run the best on it personally
Old 01-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by friesm2000
they come in FWD , you learn something new everyday , but seriously thought, i thought they only came in AWD for some reason
They used to only be AWD. FWD was added recently.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Glad you made the right choice. There's hardly anything more pathetic or embarrassing than an SUV that can't get around in the snow because it's FWD.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:20 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
They used to only be AWD. FWD was added recently.
(and not really much is needed to even offer it because they would just have to go parts bin shopping)
Old 01-09-2011, 05:57 AM
Boost Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats and enjoy!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:44 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Glad you made the right choice. There's hardly anything more pathetic or embarrassing than an SUV that can't get around in the snow because it's FWD.
Sorry, but that's not the reason a car can or not get around in the snow. Put winter tires or chains and anything will move in the snow. As a matter of fact, one of the magazines put that to the test.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:11 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Sorry, but that's not the reason a car can or not get around in the snow. Put winter tires or chains and anything will move in the snow. As a matter of fact, one of the magazines put that to the test.
Knowing how to drive in the snow helps also. Must say my husband does an excellent job
Old 01-09-2011, 09:16 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
weather aside, SHAWD is a performance-oriented mechanism for all of Acura's rides that implement it. Weather imo is of course a benefit but not meant to be the purpose of Acura's system. Its for cornering, grip, acceleration, etc. All of which you would not benefit from in the FWD. Imo, totally different machine and I would not have even considered it, regardless of the location of your residence. Glad to see you made the correct decision for the RDX.

The website comes right out: "Though it has the same all-weather attributes of conventional all-wheel drive, Acura developed its revolutionary Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) system to enhance high-performance dry-road handling."
Old 01-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
You are right of course. That explains why off-road vehicles, military vehicles and 3 decades of consumer SUVs -- intended to move through mud, sand , snow, etc -- all have 2WD. Because more drive wheels just don't make any difference.

Being in the North East it's rare to find FWD or RWD SUVs, people like to know they have AWD for the snow.
Contradict ourselves much?

Last edited by XLR8R; 01-09-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:43 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by XLR8R
You are right of course. That explains why off-road vehicles, military vehicles and 3 decades of consumer SUVs -- intended to move through mud, sand , snow, etc -- all have 2WD. Because more drive wheels just don't make any difference.

Contradict ourselves much?
Let me elaborate...First we are talking about snow, not off roading or utilitarian use of the vehicles. Given the same conditions AWD will have the upper hand in the snow, however if you were to fit a FWD with snow tires and compare it with an AWD with all seasons, the FWD will most likely perform better.....this is not some crazy theory that I invented, it was put to the test by one of the car magazines, I posted the link before but am too lazy to look for it again. Not only that, I can tell you from my personal experience that I prefer my FWD sedan with snow tires over the AWD RDX with all-seasons....that is until the accumulation is so tall that the front spoiler starts acting as a plow.

About the NE comment, people think that AWD is the solution to all their problems and it is in fact rare to find a 4x2 or FWD or RWD SUV. Not only dealers don't have them in stock, when you go to sell it you will have a hard(er) time to unload it. What people need to realize is that AWD alone is not the solution, they need good rubber in the snow, whether it's paired up with AWD or single traction.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:31 PM
B A N N E D

Let me elaborate...First we are talking about snow, not off roading or utilitarian use of the vehicles. Given the same conditions AWD will have the upper hand in the snow, however if you were to fit a FWD with snow tires and compare it with an AWD with all seasons, the FWD will most likely perform better.....this is not some crazy theory that I invented, it was put to the test by one of the car magazines, I posted the link before but am too lazy to look for it again. Not only that, I can tell you from my personal experience that I prefer my FWD sedan with snow tires over the AWD RDX with all-seasons....that is until the accumulation is so tall that the front spoiler starts acting as a plow.

About the NE comment, people think that AWD is the solution to all their problems and it is in fact rare to find a 4x2 or FWD or RWD SUV. Not only dealers don't have them in stock, when you go to sell it you will have a hard(er) time to unload it. What people need to realize is that AWD alone is not the solution, they need good rubber in the snow, whether it's paired up with AWD or single traction.
, even compared to part-time 4x4, AWD has the upper hand especially in the handling and stopping department (it may have a little more trouble, because the front and rear axles are not locked, but that is where it gains it's advantage though, because all the wheels can still spin at different speeds, and maintain maximum grip

, but yes tires make all the difference with traction and what not (i probably could have gotten further with my TL (FWD) with all-seasons, then the wife could have with her Subaru WRX (AWD) with summer tires on it (has winter tires on it now though, and it would leave me behind)
Old 01-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

I got around ok in Jersey in my 1G TSX with snow tires. I am still on the OEMs with my RDX (SH-AWD) in NY and I'm curious to see how it will handle in the snow. With these storms, I still haven't ventured out to experiment. I don't feel like taking a chance unless I have to in my new car. I know I'll have to sometime, though.

I'm hearing more snow Tuesday into Wednesday....
Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 PM
B A N N E D

I got around ok in Jersey in my 1G TSX with snow tires. I am still on the OEMs with my RDX (SH-AWD) in NY and I'm curious to see how it will handle in the snow. With these storms, I still haven't ventured out to experiment. I don't feel like taking a chance unless I have to in my new car. I know I'll have to sometime, though.

I'm hearing more snow Tuesday into Wednesday....
all ready getting the shit here
Old 01-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by friesm2000
all ready getting the shit here
It's only January and I'm already sick of it. I used to like it, now it just makes my life difficult when I have to commute, and I hate shoveling this long driveway. We need a snowblower.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 PM
B A N N E D

It's only January and I'm already sick of it. I used to like it, now it just makes my life difficult when I have to commute, and I hate shoveling this long driveway. We need a snowblower.
luckily it only lasts a couple of days here, then melts off (it's stays up in the mountains all winter though), and as far as shoveling LOL, that's what a HOA is for

and other then last week's storm, this is really the only other storm we have gotten here this winter (that has actually stuck to the ground)
Old 01-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Cruisin'

We're expecting 6-12" Tues into Weds. Of course we are picking the RDX up on Wednesday. I'm not going to re-hash the AWD stuff, but it'd be nice to drive it home on a nice day. Something about picking up a new car in that stuff and by the time you get home it's full of sand, salt and snow. I guess that's why we have car washes!

Quick Reply: Buying an 2011 RDX...FWD or AWD?