Bug crap on front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bug crap on front bumper

The bugs that get smacked at the front bumper is really hard to remove some times. I Carnuaba waxed the front bumper but it does not really help that much, those bug stuff really sticks on.

Am thinking of trying out the KLASSE sealant stuff to see if that helps to prevent the bug stuff from sticking to the front bumper.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i hate that
Old 06-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Instructor

yeah haven't washed my car in a while... i took a look today and it had like a million black spots all over stupid bugs, doesn't look like an easy job.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
They come off pretty easily on my TSX. I use Zaino polish.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That chromish piece of plastic around the front logo seems to discolor easily after a bug splat sits on there even overnight. Any idea what to try to hit it with that will clean it up? Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish maybe?
Old 06-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
They come off pretty easily on my TSX. I use Zaino polish.

When I meant it really sticks on, I really meant that water alone didn't dislodge the bug crap. Using a spray wax or detailer spray, easily removed the bug stuff.

What I am looking for is something that is so resistant and slippery to the gluey bug stuff, that it does not stick... period... So I can simply spray wash my car and it comes right off.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mav238
When I meant it really sticks on, I really meant that water alone didn't dislodge the bug crap. Using a spray wax or detailer spray, easily removed the bug stuff.

What I am looking for is something that is so resistant and slippery to the gluey bug stuff, that it does not stick... period... So I can simply spray wash my car and it comes right off.

Like he said, use Zaino polish. Or another good synthetic "wax". Helps keep the bugs from sticking. Make sure to do the headlight covers as well.

<---card carrying member of the Zaino cult
Old 06-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Like brizey said, I use Zaino polish throughout the year (keeps the paint slippery smooth) and then just water with a damp cloth or even the gloss enhancer from Zaino to easily wipe them off. I rarely have a problem getting the bugs off.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Advanced

Oh, you guys know a lot about this stuff.

I was just going to leave the dead bugs there as warnings to other bugs... :-)
Old 06-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Not an Ashtray

Here is a good product for getting rid of those nasty sucide bomber bugs:

http://www.poorboysworld.com/bug-squash.htm
Old 06-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Advanced

The easiest and fastest way to get rid of bugs is to use a wet, used dryer sheet. Just get a Bounty type sheet, get it damp and the bugs will wipe away without any effort. This is an old detailing trick. I always keep two sheets in all of my cars.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,171 Likes on 686 Posts
Living in Gainesville where the wonderful love bugs were created, i got way to familar with removing hundreds at a time. The best thing i found besides a good wax and cleaning them off as quick as you could was to spray on some simple green and let it sit five minutes or so. Then take a soft wet cloth and rub away. For the most part they should come off but for the really stuck on ones you can use some rubbing alcohol or commercial bug remover but be sure to rewax that area
Old 06-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Another tip: I use a terry washcloth to wash the bumper and mirrors. The texture helps pull the bugs off. On an older car, I use one to wash the whole car. Better than a sponge because you can feel the dirt and not press too hard. I use microfiber for newer cars.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Living in Gainesville where the wonderful love bugs were created....
http://www.snopes.com/critters/lurkers/lovebugs.asp

Old 06-07-2007, 12:49 PM
07 Carbon Gray/Ebony

Also living with the love bugs, this is almost a daily chore in May and September. I use Meguiars Quik Detailer:
http://www.meguiars.com/?car-maintenance/Quik-Detailer
Works great as long as the bugs have not been stuck for more than 1-2 days. A good base of Zaino makes things even easier.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Instructor

I lick the bugs off my bumper. Mmmmmm good!
Old 06-08-2007, 11:30 PM
B A N N E D

The bugs that get smacked at the front bumper is really hard to remove some times. I Carnuaba waxed the front bumper but it does not really help that much, those bug stuff really sticks on.

Am thinking of trying out the KLASSE sealant stuff to see if that helps to prevent the bug stuff from sticking to the front bumper.
Bugs are hard to get off of bumpers, I drive up north california and my cars front end is COVERED in bugs, but usually a good cleaning gets them off.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Advanced

Glass cleaner in an aerosol can works well too. After it foams up let it sit for a couple of minutes and the bugs come right off. My car has the Xzilon paint sealant and it has not damaged the paint, I keep a can in the trunk when I travel and apply it before I wash the car.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Advanced

Another helpful hint. Give your bumper and mirror covers a light coating of PAM cooking spray and the vast majority of bugs won't stick. Don't use too much because it will aerosolize and smear your windshield at high speeds.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Acuras since 1988

You gotta be kidding me!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Racer

Griot's makes a product called Bug Off! that is supposed to prevent them from sticking, and makes them rinse off. You might be ok with a white car, but with a black one, it looks too greasy, IMO.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:18 AM
boostin'

Originally Posted by msbesq
The easiest and fastest way to get rid of bugs is to use a wet, used dryer sheet. Just get a Bounty type sheet, get it damp and the bugs will wipe away without any effort. This is an old detailing trick. I always keep two sheets in all of my cars.
This won't scratch the paint? I'm especially worried w/ the black paint on the RDX, you know how black unfortunately shows every little scratch!

I have all the bugs "off" the car, but now there is almost like a film left, it feels smooth if you rub your finger over it, but in the right light you can see the spots left behind. I tried a detailing spray on cleaner I had handy and it didn't do anything. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RDX REX
This won't scratch the paint? I'm especially worried w/ the black paint on the RDX, you know how black unfortunately shows every little scratch!

I have all the bugs "off" the car, but now there is almost like a film left, it feels smooth if you rub your finger over it, but in the right light you can see the spots left behind. I tried a detailing spray on cleaner I had handy and it didn't do anything. Anyone got any ideas?
Claybar and/or cleaner wax.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by VANDY
Glass cleaner in an aerosol can works well too. After it foams up let it sit for a couple of minutes and the bugs come right off. My car has the Xzilon paint sealant and it has not damaged the paint, I keep a can in the trunk when I travel and apply it before I wash the car.
I've found this to be the case as well. I hit the bumper on my car with Invisible Glass, and let it sit for about two minutes. Then, I just wiped it with a Microfiber cloth and all signs of bug splats are gone.

Here are some good mail order deals (although this stuff is available at most auto stores):

http://www.invisibleglass.com/

I bought a case of it. $3 a can with no tax or shipping, and I use it on the car as well as around the house.

Another good product is Sprayaway, which you can get in three packs at COSTCO for a decent price.

BUT, window cleaners (including the above) have some pretty strong solvents in them. Unlikely to be good for the wax on your car (but probably will not harm the paint). I wouldn't use it on the metal. This is a good solution for plastic parts of the bumper only.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by RDX REX

Do not use a fabric softer sheet on your paint. That will induce swirls for sure.

Also, you should avoid pver-the-counter cleaner waxes on a black car. Those are abbrasive and can induce haze or tiny scratches.

The most effective (and safe) way to remove this kind of stuff from the painted parts of you car is a claybar. Go down to your local autostore, and buy claymagic claybar for about $10.

A claybar is great to have around for all sorts of issues - just save it in a plastic baggy. My TSX got hit by a flying chunk of wood which left all kinds of nasty residue on it. Claybar took it right off.

A good paint cleaner would do it as well. You can find tons of products online at www.autogeek.com. I use Klasse All-in-one for this purpose (which is supposed to be a wax and cleaner, but is really more of a chemical cleaner than anything else).

If you have a Harley Davisdson store in your neighborhood, go get S100 body cleaner. It is supposed to be for motorcycles but is a fine general purpose paint cleaner for cars.

If the situation is real bad, you can use a tar remover type of product like Tarminator. That will not hurt your paint but will remove any wax or sealants that you have on your car.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by msbesq
Another helpful hint. Give your bumper and mirror covers a light coating of PAM cooking spray and the vast majority of bugs won't stick. Don't use too much because it will aerosolize and smear your windshield at high speeds.
This is also a good strategy for keeping down your cholesterol and fat intake.