this board

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:55 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
this board

is d e a d

but,

I just got back from the Benz dealer. the GLK is awesome. inside and out. Classy inside, altho very vanilla, luxurious outside and man is it SPORTING. it has a MEAN exterior and everything works. No awkward appearance like the X3, and the whole styling scheme is awesome, sharp lines, muscular hood, and it appears very trim, no bulk anywhere, and the rims are simply stunning in person...was looking at a white on black...wow

say what u want, but benz has a winner here, especially with its aggressive pricing. The one i was looking at starts at 35 and fully loaded 350 4matic, appearance pkg, premium pkg, lighting, multimedia, topped out at 45k on the sticker. That is the ceiling, it only goes down from there. I would def throw down 38k on this ride without hesitation and drive off with a redic truck. Its the best one out, imo, right now. Looks, awesome v6, solid cargo room, the inside is very very reminicent of the RDX, altho the pictures may suggest otherwise, when you sit inside you will feel at home...depending on reliability, im sold.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a good deal you got there. I went through Mercedes' web builder with similar options to the RDX tech and came out to be $53,784 on the sticker.

So I guess you are hooked up?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
is d e a d

but,

I just got back from the Benz dealer. the GLK is awesome. inside and out. Classy inside, altho very vanilla, luxurious outside and man is it SPORTING. it has a MEAN exterior and everything works. No awkward appearance like the X3, and the whole styling scheme is awesome, sharp lines, muscular hood, and it appears very trim, no bulk anywhere, and the rims are simply stunning in person...was looking at a white on black...wow

say what u want, but benz has a winner here, especially with its aggressive pricing. The one i was looking at starts at 35 and fully loaded 350 4matic, appearance pkg, premium pkg, lighting, multimedia, topped out at 45k on the sticker. That is the ceiling, it only goes down from there. I would def throw down 38k on this ride without hesitation and drive off with a redic truck. Its the best one out, imo, right now. Looks, awesome v6, solid cargo room, the inside is very very reminicent of the RDX, altho the pictures may suggest otherwise, when you sit inside you will feel at home...depending on reliability, im sold.
Yes, reliability is the key word, and that is why I would never by a Benz regardless of the deal. Good luck to you with your new ride.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:06 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I wonder, what would you like to see on this board? Most of the boards that I visit are full of discussions about troubles with the car, luckily that has not been the case of the RDX.....I believe that no new is good news.....that's just me..
Old 01-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Intermediate

All the other boards have been dead for a long time. Acurazine's RDX community is much more "alive" relative to the others. But when compared to the other Acurazine's communities, then yes, the RDX forum isn't as lively.

As for the GLK, it's priced way lower than I had expected from Mercedes. It looks good form the front and side. I don't like the rear. The tail lights remind me of the previous generation Toyota Highlander. The interior of the GLK looks luxurious, but their design cues look a little different compared to the rest of their cars. Maybe they are trying to make the GLK stand out from the other mercedes... and the other luxury CUVs? Anyways, I think they have succeeded and the GLK will probably do well, but I still love the RDX more!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:16 AM
big shot.

well...i never said i was BUYING the thing Rex! haha...im giving it a year to see what gremlins pop out of this model..if it actually is reliable, well, then its gbye time to the RDX hehe

the very aggressive pricing makes me raise an eyebrow as to the quality of the vehicle, theres gotta be some reason why its relatively less expensive, but who really knows, it could be that, it just is less expensive period.

but whether ur an Acura lover or not, id say if u pass by a benz dealer, check it out, all the people that are leasing an RDX, a GLK in a year or 2 would be hard to pass up...a relatively comparably equipped GLK can be had under 40, no problem. AWD w/a pkg or 2 is a very solid buy.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:18 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Have you read the news? the whole economic crisis?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:03 PM
big shot.

yea well, there are a few ppl out there that are ok
Old 01-14-2009, 01:08 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Who? Madoff?
Even the people that are doing well are not spending......that was my point....
Old 01-14-2009, 01:23 PM
big shot.

and my point is that some of us are still spending lol
Old 01-14-2009, 01:24 PM
big shot.

this thread isnt about who has money and who doesnt, start a diff thread if u wana talk about the economics in car purchasing
Old 01-14-2009, 03:15 PM
ddb
Instructor

MMike, with all due respect, I'm not sure what your point is. Sounds to me like the GLK is somewhere around $5-10K more than the RDX for comparable features/options. As such, I would fully expect it to be a much better car in every way.

Yeah, I'd probably rather have a GLK than an RDX*, but I don't see one as necessarily being a better deal than the other.

* I'd actually rather have neither car, because after almost a year of my wife having her RDX, I'm completely turned off by the whole "cute ute" concept - as far as I can tell, with a compact SUV, you give up performance/handling/fuel economy, and you gain very little practicality by way of cargo or passenger room.

- DDB
Old 01-14-2009, 03:20 PM
StayAtHomeDad

^^ Sometimes I wish I had gotten the MDX....
Old 01-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I am waiting to see the Q5 and its pricing. I want to see what they are going to do different for NA. I really want to see the Audi Drive Select. I wish that Acura would have put something like that in the RDX.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Instructor

I'm definitely gonna swing by the dealer to check one out in person.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ddb
MMike, with all due respect, I'm not sure what your point is. Sounds to me like the GLK is somewhere around $5-10K more than the RDX for comparable features/options. As such, I would fully expect it to be a much better car in every way.

Yeah, I'd probably rather have a GLK than an RDX*, but I don't see one as necessarily being a better deal than the other.

* I'd actually rather have neither car, because after almost a year of my wife having her RDX, I'm completely turned off by the whole "cute ute" concept - as far as I can tell, with a compact SUV, you give up performance/handling/fuel economy, and you gain very little practicality by way of cargo or passenger room.

- DDB
..every time I put my two year old in the car seat I disagree. I won't by a car/wagon until the kids can get in and out themselves. (I did drool a bit at the interior of the new TL when I had the RDX in for an oil change, though...)

I have yet to see any credible evidence that the European manufacturers are anywhere close to the Japanese when it comes to quality and price/performance. This is 2009, not 1959. Ultimately vehicles are a product. Mercedes reminds me of the $120 shirts at Nordstrom--nice to look at, look expensive, but difficult to live with (dry clean only!) and they fall apart in six months. They are still living off a quality reputation that they have not earned for thirty years.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by brizey
..every time I put my two year old in the car seat I disagree. I won't by a car/wagon until the kids can get in and out themselves. (I did drool a bit at the interior of the new TL when I had the RDX in for an oil change, though...)
I got a RDX recently for that very reason. Have a 3 year old with a new one on the way real soon. Honda Pilot lease ran out and wanted something lower and less bulky, but higher up than a car. Wife is short as well. The RDX seems to be the perfect size.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Advanced

I will tell you after having three Audi's, and a Benz the Germans still have an issue with quality; mainly electronics. I love my RDX and it is the first SUV or CUV I have ever owned, and my third Acura.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:08 AM
big shot.

DDB - all due respect in regards to what? i was just making a general post about a competing vehicle.

A comparably equipped model of the GLK is much more competitive than "5-10k" But ive said before on this board, at least MB gives the purchaser the ability to deck the vehicle out to their liking, you can either be conservative and drive off with the GLK at basically 2-3 k more than an Acura, or, you can deck it out as far as you want to go, at least it has the options available to do so. Is it on avg more expensive than the RDX, yea, but its no where near as astronomical as some think....

I look at it this way, we have a turbo4, 5 spd with the luxury equal to a TSX. the V6 & transmission of the Benz is leaps n bounds better than what we have. On that point alone, the Benz is better equipped as a base model than the RDX. Now, if you want to focus on bells n whistles, the BASE GLK lacks xenon's, sat radio, and maybe a few other minor things, but imo, the actual vehicle (GLK) is better at its core, but if you take a base 350 4matic, add lighting and the multimedia pkg -you have an RDX tech model with a sticker of 41k ADDING a 7spd 268 HP V6, rear seat HVAC, panoramic roof and a level of luxury the RDX cant touch (and doesnt have available), id say id pay a couple k more without question, and its obviously subjective but the appearance of the GLK, i think its the best looker out hands down.

there was no "point" to my post, other than for you guys to GO LOOK AT THE CAR, Just check the f'ing thing out. lol
Old 01-15-2009, 09:15 AM
big shot.

Originally Posted by befree112
That is a good deal you got there. I went through Mercedes' web builder with similar options to the RDX tech and came out to be $53,784 on the sticker.

So I guess you are hooked up?
not yet, the window sticker was 45,200. fully loaded. i should have taken a picture of it. ehh
Old 01-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the GLK - but as we've discussed before, I don't like spending money on what are almost "basic" options on comparable cars.

I expect a real leather interior, I expect Xenons and sat radio standard. Even Dodge Avengers get sat radio.

I don't mind adding in some special options - sport wheels, adjustable suspension, adaptive lights, smart key etc. But it seems that a lot of these german makers (and lexus) offer a few cool features standard, but to get a lot of the normal uplevel options, you need a couple pricey packages.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:35 AM
big shot.

do you think the leather in the acura is "real" leather? its not its combo vinyl w/leather parts.

theres a big difference between std leather and the option that upscale cars have of a REAL leather trim...you dont have to "pay" for anything...the car comes w/the same interior other makers pawn off as leather
Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 AM
big shot.

define basic tho (just xenons & sat? rearview dim (this was an option on 07 models) ?...because what the GLK comes with the Acura doesnt even offer...so yea there are some minor things the GLK lacks as std equip, but how bout rear HVAC...id take that any day over sat radio being standard, 19 inch rims are std....if you want to match equip for equip, the RDX with 19's, you just put the sticker up almost 4grand.

sat radio and rear view dimmers are for the birds...easy remedies exist, not the same for HVAC or integrated options for the car. You can spend 50 bucks and have sat radio, cant spend money to get a 7sp V6

i understand what you are saying about BASE options, but, only to a point does that argument hold up, you add any available pkg to the GLK, and you would have more comprehensive equipment than what is offered in the RDX feature v feature
Old 01-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Advanced

checked out the GLK mainly because we are looking at the new C class. Very nice car but i might want to save some $ and get the c300 4 matic. Have been interested in the RDX especially with the cash purchase price we get in Canada but after driving the benz, i can see why xenons and little stuff might not be standard. The money went to insulation and general driving refinement. I have always considered my 06 TL and 03 Pilot to be good cars but driving the benz on the highway and having no sensation of wind leaking through the door seals and not being pushed around by the wind is a nice change. Going to be a hard choice. I love Acura's and Honda's but i'm starting to understand i only like them for Value and reliability. not much more.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Racer

Well, you get what you pay for. A Benz is $10k plus more, so yeah you'd better have more sound proofing, all real leather, etc.. for that price. There's a big diff (to most of us) between stickers of $34k RDX and comparable $46-53k GLK Benz.

That's why I buy Acura. You get the upgrades, but for a reasonable price. If you price out the Honda Accord with same options that you get in the TSX, you'll find they are close in price. Same for the CRV and RDX.

So if you want Benz, BMW, or Lexus style and build, then you buy that.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:07 AM
big shot.

guys..the thing is not 53k...not sure where that # came from, FULLY LOADED, which is way more loaded than the RDX, its somewhere around 44...if you want to add every single accessory that is not actual equipment than any car can get crazy, including the RDX.

just check it out...a comparable AWD GLK, can be had under 40, plain and simple. And depending on what you value in terms of equipment, some may argue the GLK has better stuff...like rear HVAC, bigger wheels, V6 7sp, just depends what you value
Old 01-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

The title of this thread was "This board is dead", but somehow it became a war zone between the RDX and GLK. Let's close this thread and move on.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:28 PM
StayAtHomeDad

yeah, if moderators visited these pages they would do that....but not even they come around here....
Old 01-22-2009, 08:06 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7k off on a GLK? No way.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:14 PM
He who laughs, last didnt

GLK what a sweet ride (my friend has one).. for me i would never buy it tho.
to maint. one is not worth it, my friend always b^tching about it all the time, and i dont want to be in his position rofl.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:32 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

how can you bitch about a car all the time that just came out 2.5 weeks ago?

Originally Posted by bAek-sU
GLK what a sweet ride (my friend has one).. for me i would never buy it tho.
to maint. one is not worth it, my friend always b^tching about it all the time, and i dont want to be in his position rofl.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:21 PM
He who laughs, last didnt

Originally Posted by CL6
how can you bitch about a car all the time that just came out 2.5 weeks ago?
sry about that, it was the GL.. and btw it aint me bit^hin
Old 01-23-2009, 07:39 AM
StayAtHomeDad

and what's the bitching about, gas mileage, ride quality, fit and finish?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
>FULLY LOADED, which is way more loaded than the RDX, its somewhere around 44...

That sounds like a halfway decent price for a Benz. I wonder what the discounts are gonna be; I'd guess you could get it somewhere close to invoice which might be in the area of just a guess...$41-42k. I will check one out next time I'm close to a dealer. I agree, they are nice-looking rides, I think M-B did a great job with them. It sounds like a silky engine and low noise are big selling points on the GLK.

Don't let's all get into a hater mode here with this next comment: I also really enjoy my RDX, but there are times when for the same mpg and less $ I wish I would've gotten a late-model MDX. The past week I've been checking out A3s and Jetta TDI wagons just for shits and grins and b/c I like car shopping in general. They are interesting.

I will agree that it seems the Germans (at least Audi-VW) don't have their electronic boogeymen figured out as on their boards you tend to see a lot more headache-type stuff that you don't see on Acura boards. There were also some posts about A3s chewing up a set of touring tires every year which is kinda' scary. I do love the styling/footprint of the A3, I think they also did a nice job with that one.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 AM
big shot.

Originally Posted by Rexorg
The title of this thread was "This board is dead", but somehow it became a war zone between the RDX and GLK. Let's close this thread and move on.
i really dont see any possible reason to close the thread...so what if it became an RDX vs something else? its a competitor comparison...and at the time of my writing it, the board was 100% dead. not a big deal, how many threads were there on EX vs RDX etc....

and the point of my comparison wasnt really to shit on the RDX, it was really, at least for me, an eye opener going to see the GLK...i am an especially weary buyer of ANYTHING german, but given what seems to be VERY reasonable pricing for a benz, and a solid truck, at least on its face..that was the point of my post saying hey, yea its more expensive, but not what you may think coming from MB, so check it out....anyone see any reviews yet on it? im searching but no actual reviews just frist drive impressions etc no real #'s yet....
Old 01-28-2009, 09:39 AM
StayAtHomeDad

The reason is that when the treads get derailed or hijacked they get closed. They direct the people (in this case those ones talking about the GLK and RDX) to open a new tread with that title to discuss the matter...
Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 AM
big shot.

still dont really see the big deal in it, id rather see people talking somewhere regardless of thread heading than not talking at all.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:01 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Hey, I agree, but I don't make the rules....BTW, are you liking the snow today?
Old 01-30-2009, 06:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
The reason is that when the treads get derailed or hijacked they get closed. They direct the people (in this case those ones talking about the GLK and RDX) to open a new tread with that title to discuss the matter...
You are 100% dead on. As you pointed out earlier, the mods do not come here much and/or do not see the need to clean things up by moving threads, closing, etc. Most boards I belong to have mods that would PM the member and give them some guidance as to proper posting. The title of the thread catches the eye of the member/guest. They get po'd when the thread is highjacked. If you want a thread to compare the RDX to a DRE then do so, but stay on topic.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 AM
big shot.

the point was to get the eyes of every lurker on here not POSTING, if thats a violation then, hey whatever

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html

GLK first test in motor trend

Quick Reply: this board