this board

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I for one really enjoy reading this thread. Let's get more posts and discussions on this board^^
Old 01-30-2009, 02:13 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
there we go
Old 02-01-2009, 02:45 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are getting a higher quality of fit-and-finish on the GLK. You are getting a more powerful engine. You are getting convenience features like rear HVAC controls. You are getting a 7 speed automatic. You are getting Hill Start Assist and Brake Drying. You are getting all windows with Auto Up/Auto Down. You're getting lifetime roadside assistance. You get dual power front seats. You get Trailer Stability Assist which is not available on the RDX and 19" wheels standard. Yes you have to add things like leather or navigation or bi-xenon headlights but this is true with every other luxury CUV out there as far as I know. I have driven quite a few GLKs and they are very nice cars. If you can't pay to play then the RDX is a great car for you!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:25 AM
big shot.

so have any of you actually gone to the dealer to look at it yet
Old 02-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
If you can't pay to play then the RDX is a great car for you!
This is exactly the kind of attitude that has kept me from becoming a Mercedes customer. Many of us can, in fact, "pay to play" but choose other makes for a variety of reasons. In fact, the Benz dealer in Melbourne, FL lost my business on a brand new designo edition SLK55 (I bought a BMW M Roadster instead) and the Benz dealer in Monterey, CA lost my business on a loaded new E55 (I bought an L-Tuned Lexus GS430 instead) because of a snooty, holier-than-thou attitude. Thank goodness I didn't get those cars, because the initial and long-term quality ratings have been abysmal (certainly far lower than even the cheapest products in the Acura lineup).

It appears that the qualiity issues may have been taken care of, but until Mercedes improves their dealer network and customer service, I'll be "paying to play" with their competitors.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
This is exactly the kind of attitude that has kept me from becoming a Mercedes customer. Many of us can, in fact, "pay to play" but choose other makes for a variety of reasons. In fact, the Benz dealer in Melbourne, FL lost my business on a brand new designo edition SLK55 (I bought a BMW M Roadster instead) and the Benz dealer in Monterey, CA lost my business on a loaded new E55 (I bought an L-Tuned Lexus GS430 instead) because of a snooty, holier-than-thou attitude. Thank goodness I didn't get those cars, because the initial and long-term quality ratings have been abysmal (certainly far lower than even the cheapest products in the Acura lineup).

It appears that the qualiity issues may have been taken care of, but until Mercedes improves their dealer network and customer service, I'll be "paying to play" with their competitors.
+1...I was thinking the same thing after that reply DJ Iceman. Well said.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:24 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Funny thing about the Benz dealer/people/customers.....I used to rent cars from Enterprise, near work; they also supplied rental/loaners to the Benz dealership nearby. One of the agents was telling me a story of a young girl, late teens or early twenties, that dropped off her car for service; they only had ONE car left and it was a Toyota Corolla....Well, she didn't know what that was, she had never heard of Corollas before and wasn't going to take it......How can you not know about the Toyota Corolla? it is only the most popular car in the world, and one of the most popular here in the US too.....Anyways, this agent told me that she hated working there and that she had never met more rude and, in general, A-holes as she had at the Benz dealership.
Right across the street was an Audi/Porsche dealer, she said that "those people are cool and more "down to earth" than the Benz people"

If I had a Benz (and I am considering to buy one, someday) I would be pissed to be given a Corolla for a loaner.

I don't know what I was trying to say here, but already typed all this much and am not going to delete....
Old 02-03-2009, 11:43 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Most Americans don't even know the name of the Vice President of the United States so some girl not knowing what a Corolla is isn't really a big deal.

Any premium brand is going to cost more... that's why it's a premium brand. It costs more and you generally get more whether it be MB, BMW, Bentley... whatever. When I bought my CL I got the best car I could afford at the time. That's the way it is!

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
Funny thing about the Benz dealer/people/customers.....I used to rent cars from Enterprise, near work; they also supplied rental/loaners to the Benz dealership nearby. One of the agents was telling me a story of a young girl, late teens or early twenties, that dropped off her car for service; they only had ONE car left and it was a Toyota Corolla....Well, she didn't know what that was, she had never heard of Corollas before and wasn't going to take it......How can you not know about the Toyota Corolla? it is only the most popular car in the world, and one of the most popular here in the US too.....Anyways, this agent told me that she hated working there and that she had never met more rude and, in general, A-holes as she had at the Benz dealership.
Right across the street was an Audi/Porsche dealer, she said that "those people are cool and more "down to earth" than the Benz people"

If I had a Benz (and I am considering to buy one, someday) I would be pissed to be given a Corolla for a loaner.

I don't know what I was trying to say here, but already typed all this much and am not going to delete....

Last edited by CL6; 02-03-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:46 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by CL6
Most Americans don't even know the name of the Vice President of the United States.
Well, he is not as popular....
Old 02-03-2009, 12:35 PM
big shot.

ok, if you consider about 2k MORE than a base RDX "paying to play" then you shouldnt even be driving an RDX. The fact is that the GLK is COMPARABLY PRICED and offers BETTER STD equipment and actual PREMIUM FIT, FINISH, EXTERIOR, and INTERIOR. its not paying thru the nose. its not paying way more than the car is worth, in fact, the GLK is one of the first reasonably priced benz to be rolled out in a while. The dead dog argument of paying more just becaues its a "premium", well that may exist for OTHER vehicles, but not the GLK, lets move on people..., if you bought an RDX tech or even a base model, there is absolutely no reason why you could not buy a GLK -, a GLK with the sticker of 38 or so(with an option pkg(s)) is a much better vehicle than the RDX, flat out. refer to lists ive previously made and most recently CL6's list.

IMHO, the RDX is actually pricey for what you get...i certainly feel the lack of anything premium when im in my acura.....even compared to the 08 TL..the RDX feels like a bargain basement inside (like the TSX)....so you get what you pay for (plastic instead of real aluminum-type trim, chrome, etc) I mean really, i feel like i am in my 05 Accord V6 2 door when im in the RDX, not much of a difference at all to me....i actually think the aluminum finished interior in my accord was nicer, actually looked like aluminium and had a metallic feel vs the shiny plastic in the Acura. That being said, teh RDX bundles in alot of value added features, but leaves off where the MB blows it away. Cant beat the GLK pricing for its premium level of luxury, looks, fit n finish, on the flip side we have the acura, which leaves all that stuff out but adds in the features at a lower price....decisions decisions

the glk is a solid, good buy...regardless of name or preconceived notions. wake up people.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:41 PM
big shot.

this thread is just all f'ed up hahahah
Old 02-03-2009, 03:26 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

While I agree with much of your post the fact is your are paying more because it's a "premium brand" because, as such, they have earned the right to charge more. By all accounts the Hyundai Genesis is a damn fine car and if it said MB or BMW on it you do not think it would cost more? I'm not saying that the GLK is not a good car in and of itself but it would be silly to contend that you are not paying even $1 more because it is a Benz.

The RDX is a nice car, when I was with Acura I sold several and drove one myself for several days and enjoyed it overall but Acura did cut some corners to deliver the price point that they did... to maintain otherwise is equally silly. Overall I don't think these things detract greatly from ownership but, for example, having a prop rod to hold up the hood is a negative in my book.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:58 AM
big shot.

the disparity of paying for premium, at least imo, is not there with the GLK, yea its more expensive, but at least i feel its completely justified...if awd started at 38-40k, then i think thered be a problem, but 36k for that engine/tranny in AWD etc is 100% acceptable and i dont find a surcharge for premium-ness in that..thats the outlook i have. In fact, i dig the aggressiveness of the C/GLK class pricing whether its the base model or fully decked out...there is alot of value.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:59 AM
big shot.

paying thru nose for premium bading that isnt worth it ie = the X3 starting at 40. thats the road i thought benz was going to take with the glk, good thing they didnt.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:50 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

You can buy an Benz in the US for less than any other country in the world. They do that because they know how big the marketplace is here. BMW priced the crappy X3 too high and especially for how badly constructed it is vs. their other products. The problem is, the CUV market is so crowded. It will be interesting to see how the GLK does vs. the RDX and the Audi.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:56 PM
big shot.

i think it will do well, but whether it will sway the blue and white loyals is doubtful, and i cant see it taking any customers from the RDX...altho i def see it as a great option to people in the Audi market...but either way, it will do well with MB loyals...i know my buddies that have benz's have been asking me about it, and they E & SL's etc..so, its making some waves ....

the way i look at the RDX is that the concept of the RDX was not built around the Acura shopper & Acura brand..the TL, TSX, and even high priced MDX do well...but the RDX is left in the dust...if it came from a different company might have been different results.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:43 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I think the RDX was meant to appeal to the TSX buyer who maybe wanted a little more room. The thing is, when the RDX launched, all the guys at Acura said that market was supposed to grow a lot over the next 10 years and was the hot segment. I'm not convinced about that. It will be interesting to see if GLK sales come at the expense of other brands or other models in the Benz line-up.

The RDX has a lot going for it but the engine and the TSXish ride has always been the negative for me. The engine was because that's all that would fit into the CRV platform. The GLK is growing on me but I think its meant to appeal more towards women than men. Only time will tell...

Originally Posted by MMike1981
i think it will do well, but whether it will sway the blue and white loyals is doubtful, and i cant see it taking any customers from the RDX...altho i def see it as a great option to people in the Audi market...but either way, it will do well with MB loyals...i know my buddies that have benz's have been asking me about it, and they E & SL's etc..so, its making some waves ....

the way i look at the RDX is that the concept of the RDX was not built around the Acura shopper & Acura brand..the TL, TSX, and even high priced MDX do well...but the RDX is left in the dust...if it came from a different company might have been different results.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:38 AM
big shot.

The vehicle style may have been what consumers wanted, but the narrow pointed RDX (fixed damping, only a sports car ride, engine selection) really pushed out an otherwise growing style (even if it only existed for a few years). I think the market, at the time, was definately there, the X3, FX, Murano would say so, however, what Acura should have done was create a smaller suv along the lines of the MDX not the TSX....im sure Acura buyers who initially drove the RDX were shocked to shit with the ride quality...thats many peoples first impression....the ride between the TSX/RDX imo isnt even comparable

when Acura put out such a pointed product, they should have braced for small sales, the RDX is unforgiving and takes a certain buyer to put up with it every day...not the case with other cuv's which is why they do well in comparison to the RDX
Old 02-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts
I see your point, but the counter to that is that buyers like me would no longer have been interested in the RDX if it was more vanilla. They perfectly nailed my needs in a vehicle like this (well, I would have liked a few more luxury features). So maybe it was just the marketing that didn't zero in on a particular segment of the buying public and try to woo them. There's probably more of us out there who would fall in love with the RDX if they even knew about it.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:53 AM
big shot.

http://www.edmunds.com/mercedesbenz/...k350fint500jpg
Old 02-09-2009, 10:55 AM
big shot.

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
I see your point, but the counter to that is that buyers like me would no longer have been interested in the RDX if it was more vanilla. They perfectly nailed my needs in a vehicle like this (well, I would have liked a few more luxury features). So maybe it was just the marketing that didn't zero in on a particular segment of the buying public and try to woo them. There's probably more of us out there who would fall in love with the RDX if they even knew about it.
yea cant blame acura for trying to get people in the door with the scheme of the RDX
Old 02-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Damn, they didn't even include the RDX as a competitor! It's that bloody I4, I tell you, that bloody I4!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:59 PM
StayAtHomeDad

They have stopped including the RDX for a while now....
Old 02-09-2009, 03:15 PM
big shot.

it cant be competition when 5 people buy it per year hahhaha