BMW X1 facelifted, finally coming to the US

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
BMW X1 facelifted, finally coming to the US

Three years after its launch in its German home market, BMW's compact X1 crossover will be added to the brand's North American lineup. At the same time, the X3's little brother receives a slight face lift. The vehicle will compete with the Acura RDX, the Infiniti EX, the Land Rover Range Rover Evoque, and an upcoming Mercedes-Benz crossover based on the A-class; it also directly targets the Audi Q3, which that company has promised will be offered in the U.S. as well.
The BMW is the only vehicle in this group that is based on a rear-wheel-drive platform, which it loosely shares with the 1- and the 3-series. In fact, the entry-level model will be the rear-wheel-drive X1 sDrive28i, powered by a 240-hp, 2.0-liter four and priced at $31,545. For another $1700, BMW will also offer an all-wheel-drive version with this engine, dubbed the X1 xDrive28i. The top-of-the-line X1 will be the all-wheel-drive xDrive35i, powered by BMW’s 300-hp, 3.0-liter inline-six and offered at $39,345. Both engines are force-fed by a single turbo, while BMW insists on its misleading "TwinPower" terminology. Likewise, the "28" and "35" monikers bear no relation to the actual engine displacement. The 2.0-liter four is equipped with a gas-saving stop-start system. Neither performance nor fuel-economy figures have been given at this point. Unfortunately, none of the X1 models are available with BMW's excellent six-speed manual; a ZF-sourced eight-speed automatic is standard on all versions.

The X1 is not only a rather tiny crossover, it also is slightly odd-looking with its long hood, upright windshield and indented flanks. The face lift, launched at the New York auto show, doesn't help much to alleviate this impression. BMW points out that the "larger number of surfaces painted in body color highlight the vehicle’s enhanced elegance." This is a marked change in philosophy: The X1 used to sport more unpainted plastic—not for cost, but for styling reasons. There are now turn signals in the exterior mirrors, and the headlights are restyled for a slightly more premium look. BMW also has modified the interior with an altered center console.
The X1 is perhaps the most agile of small crossover SUVs, rivaled only by the Audi Q3. It also is the only current BMW crossover SUV that is not made in the U.S., but on BMW's home turf—in Leipzig, Germany, alongside the 1-series. And the U.S. market gets a special treat: The rear-wheel-drive sDrive28i and the top-of-the-line xDrive35i are available only here. Now that the X1 has finally arrived, BMW has a good chance to dominate this nascent segment before the German competition follows.
The price is right and I don't mind giving up a little bit of interior room for vastly better performance, technology, and driving experience.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

Received 385 Likes on 234 Posts
Old 04-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
The X1 has been available in Canada for a while now. Yes, the base price is attractively low, but it is very, very basic without anything really. When you add up all of the goodies and options that you want, then it suddenly skyrockets to a price not much lower than the comparably equipped X3! It does not make much sense to me.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand how they try to market these vehicles against one another. It's like, if they have a somewhat common shape they are competitors regardless of their dimensions. Has anyone actually been in an ex35? It's tiny in the back. The rdx has like 9 inches more leg room in the back, and like 7 cu ft. more cargo with seats up. The fx35 is more on par with the rdx though it has a bit more cargo space. Yet it is somehow compared to the mdx. Same goes for the bmw's. The x3 is clearly the competitor for the rdx, and the x5 for the mdx. Now they bring an even smaller version of the x3 in and try to make it a competitor for the rdx.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dan- I have an EX35 (traded my RDX for it) and it is smaller in the back, but it is nowhere near as small as you read. I fit 3 teenage baseball players in the back and another in the passenger seat, with 2 regular bags and two huge rolling catcher bags in the back. It fits. I did the same in the RDX and it did have a little more leg-room, but the difference is not that drastic for the more drastic improvement in ride, performance, looks, interior quality and MPG...

The X1 looks interesting, but not that much...
Old 04-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by XIS
Dan- I have an EX35 (traded my RDX for it) and it is smaller in the back, but it is nowhere near as small as you read. I fit 3 teenage baseball players in the back and another in the passenger seat, with 2 regular bags and two huge rolling catcher bags in the back. It fits. I did the same in the RDX and it did have a little more leg-room, but the difference is not that drastic for the more drastic improvement in ride, performance, looks, interior quality and MPG...

The X1 looks interesting, but not that much...
Don't get me wrong, the ex is awesome. I wanted to like it, since the newer FX was out of my budget and the old is just stale. It was just too small for my needs. Sure you can make it work, but I can't imagine all those people being comfortable in there. I sat in the back of one with the drivers seat not quite all the way back, and it was pretty tight and I'm only 5'9.

My point is simply that the manufacturers are blurring the lines so much on what is a crossover/suv, and where they fit in their model line (by size). BMW makes it pretty clear, their suv's are based on a car line that has a clearly defined size/class. Which was going back to my original statement, if the (already smaller than rdx) x3 is clearly the current rdx competition (based on size), how does the even smaller (4.5 inches shorter than the x3) x1 now become it's competitor?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 AM
XIS
Lizard King

I hear you and agree on the strangeness of some of the comparisons.

(oh, I am sure the kids were not super comfy, but heck - they are kids! - I am always plenty comfy!!) I woulnd't want to put 5 adults in the car (it is more of a car), but I would do that in the RDX. (the hump in the back due to RWD is the biggest difference) It was awesome that the RDX didn't have that.
Here is what I would compare the X1 to... EX35, A3 and Q3
Here is what I would compare the (1st gen) RDX to... Q5 (2.0), Tiguan, X3, CX7
Here is what I would compare the 2nd gen RDX to: Q5, X5, RX350, FX35/FX50

...I am sure you could add more to each list...
Old 04-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by XIS
I hear you and agree on the strangeness of some of the comparisons.

(oh, I am sure the kids were not super comfy, but heck - they are kids! - I am always plenty comfy!!) I woulnd't want to put 5 adults in the car (it is more of a car), but I would do that in the RDX. (the hump in the back due to RWD is the biggest difference) It was awesome that the RDX didn't have that.
Here is what I would compare the X1 to... EX35, A3 and Q3
Here is what I would compare the (1st gen) RDX to... Q5 (2.0), Tiguan, X3, CX7
Here is what I would compare the 2nd gen RDX to: Q5, X5, RX350, FX35/FX50

...I am sure you could add more to each list...
Yep. That's about spot on.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Intermediate

The 2nd Gen RDX is a direct competitor to the 2nd Gen X3. If I were looking at an X5 I would be comparing it to an MDX. Since Lexus really has the RX it competes against them all but if I had to choose one, it matches up better with the MDX and X5. But the RDX is now a much more worthy competitor to the RX then the 1st gen ever was. It's moved a bit closer in size and comfort. I would think an RX shopper looking for something marginally smaller with same or better fuel economy would look at the RDX.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
lol why is this posted here
Old 04-04-2012, 08:25 AM
XIS
Lizard King

because the OP noticed the X1 was being compared to the new RDX and others and we were commenting on that.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Instructor

I have a 2009 RDX and the X1 is surely on my radar for its replacement. I would also consider the Mazda CX-5 if it had a more powerful turbo engine.

I want a sporty, lighter weight crossover and as long as it has better sightlines and more space inside than an EX35, it would be acceptable for my standards.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Every vehicle in this class looks the same from the rear...

No surprises here. Another vehicle that is not big enough to fit a sheet of plywood inside, but too big to be economical work car. But some asshole like me will drive it to and from work and get 16mpg doing it.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:13 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Originally Posted by corduroygt
I have a 2009 RDX and the X1 is surely on my radar for its replacement. I would also consider the Mazda CX-5 if it had a more powerful turbo engine.

I want a sporty, lighter weight crossover and as long as it has better sightlines and more space inside than an EX35, it would be acceptable for my standards.
In all reality, how much room do you really need? If it was all about room, we would all be driving huge beer vans with no rear seats, or monster QX56s...

I don't carry plywood. I don't seat 7 or 8 people. 75% of the time I am solo and 25% I have 1-3 ppl max.
I carry baseball bags, hockey bags and backpacks for school. It is Perfecto for that...as would be almost any small CUV-

Also - the most important seat in the car is the drivers seat. Quit making them like picnic benches and more like a glove.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by XIS
In all reality, how much room do you really need?
Enough legroom to sit a 6' person behind another 6' person, which the EX35 did not provide when I tried it out.

I need enough space for 5 people + a week of groceries for them. Current gen RDX size is just about perfect for me.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:51 PM
XIS
Lizard King

I have shorter friends.

RDX much better for the basketball team. EX is fine for the baseball team.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
...and stoopid honda went away from a turbo. Grrr...
The following users liked this post:
Mr Marco (04-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by XIS
I have shorter friends.

RDX much better for the basketball team. EX is fine for the baseball team.
I really wanted to like the EX, I tested if before even looking at the RDX.
It was the sightlines more than the lack of room that killed it for me. Felt like I was just sitting in a car, and did not have the commanding road view of a SUV.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:09 PM
XIS
Lizard King

No, it is definately a mix of a coupe and a SUV with a couple extra doors. It does sit higher than a car, but lower than most SUVs. It is just so damn good looking and damn great driving.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by XIS
In all reality, how much room do you really need? ...
Good point, I guess I wouldn't really want to haul bark chips in the back of my RDX.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Advanced

The X1 with any sort of options = new RDX price here in Canada. Totally not worth it as the car has 0 road presence. It's dinky like the EX and from the rear all you see is the exposed muffler/Exhaust system...not sure why anyone would want one of these when there's so much better for the $ out there it's crazy
Old 04-06-2012, 09:04 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Originally Posted by phil17
The X1 with any sort of options = new RDX price here in Canada. Totally not worth it as the car has 0 road presence. It's dinky like the EX and from the rear all you see is the exposed muffler/Exhaust system...not sure why anyone would want one of these when there's so much better for the $ out there it's crazy
Simple ... the way it drives / handles / and there are plenty of fan-boys that would buy it JUST because of the BMW name.