anyone considered the murano?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 02:14 PM
aw1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone considered the murano?

Hi everyone,

Just want some feed back from all you RDX owners. My first post in the RDX forum but not my first in Acurazine. I currently own a 05 TL with navi which I plan on keeping. However, with an new additional to the family shortly, I'm in the market for a small SUV. The 2 SUV's my wife and I are considering are the RDX with Tech and the Nissan Murano SE AWD. Both are priced pretty close when adding the navi, leather, etc to the murano. Made appts for test drives of both cars this Saturday. I just want some feed back if anyone else considered the murano as well and their opinions about it. Want to stay in the Acura family but would consider other makes.

Thanks,

AW1
Old 03-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey,

Yeah, as a matter of fact my fiance and i looked at Murano's this weekend. They are nice, but here are my issues with it:

Pro's:
Nice ride
Nice power
Comfy
more compartments than a MAC toolbox.

Cons:
If you get the tan interior, the instrument cluster looks like a cheap ghetto blaster sitting on the dash, especially when walking up to the car.

The "new car" leather smells funny

Weird options packages (this could just be me)

a 2006 S at the Infinity lot with similar accessories was $20k less than a brand new S with similar options at the Nissan Lot.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
- I would take a Honda over a Nissan any day of the week, myself.
- The Murano is long overdue for a styling update or redesign, so you might be getting the tail end of the current lot.
- For the same price, Acura resale value will kill that of a Nissan I would guess.
- Lot less RDXs on the road (exclusivity!)

Just my 2c...good luck!
Old 03-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Race Director

I like the Murano especially the new LED tallights, but I detest the orange interior gauges
Old 03-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I like the Murano especially the new LED tallights, but I detest the orange interior gauges
I wish the RDX had LED taillights...
Old 03-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Murano is much larger than the RDX, and it is targeted for a different segment of the market.

It also performs differently from the RDX, the latter being more sports minded...

If you want something similar to the utility of a Toyota Highlander, then the Murano might be a good choice...
Old 03-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Racer

I was cocidering it but I thought it was a little overpriced and I couldn't get over the inside style, especially the dashboard. What is with the top of the dash. It looks like shelf compartment.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by mav238
The Murano is much larger than the RDX, and it is targeted for a different segment of the market.

It also performs differently from the RDX, the latter being more sports minded...

If you want something similar to the utility of a Toyota Highlander, then the Murano might be a good choice...
The Murano isn't actually that much larger than the RDX. Its the same width and nearly the same weight.

Murano: 187 X 74 X 67
RDX: 181 X 74 X 65

The only real difference is that the Murano is longer.

I test drove the Murano about 5 times, and I test drove the RDX. The RDX felt like more of a car to me, probably because it is lower to the ground. I think it handles a bit better too. I also like the seats more, and the RDX does have some gizmos (like XM traffic) that were not available on the Murano the last time I looked at it.

The Murano, however, has that ultra-sweet V6. And, with that nifty CVT tranny, it does better at the pump than the RDX. In all honesty, I consider it a better buy than the RDX. Its is slightly larger, more powerful, and rides much better.

Nissan's usually don't have great resale. But, the RDX is not doing well in terms of sales. So, resale is uncertain for that vehicle as well.

The downside to the Murano, IMO, is the poor visability rear ward. There are a few blind spots (even compared to other SUVs).
Old 03-12-2007, 07:01 PM
7th Gear

A friend of mine has a Murano. I had considered getting one but was put off by the goofy looking instrument cluster (looks like something from a klingon warship). Also, although it has plenty of power, it's a bit sluggish off the line.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Not an Ashtray

The Murano's interior does seem to provoke passion. Some people love it, some people hate it.

The RDX's interior has also been criticized, btw.

Personally, I don't like the orange lights in the Murano and think it feels a little cheap for the $. The NAV is not as nice as the RDX's either
Old 03-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Instructor

We drove one this weekend for a spin. Definitely felt more roomy that the RDX (we both felt that way anyway), But no fun to drive. The V6 has better pickup, but not near the handling on curves. The Murano sways and lumbers through the curves. Also, very loud road noise, especially if you step on it. Not so with RDX. I think it's perfect for those with kids (so is the CRV), who want a crossover and don't worry about the interior so much ( it's not much to worry about). It's not for those in tune with luxury, and fun. I guess it's all about what your situation is. I wouldn't want an RDX with kids cause it's a sport ride...can't be fun for them on a long ride.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Intermediate

IMHO overpriced and generic.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Race Director

My grandmom has one and its a very nice car. It cost her about 33 but has a couple things the RDX doesnt. It has the smart key (which is VERY cool), an autodim mirror and passanger power seat (I have seen people hear say they dont like that). It also has a lot of the things the RDX does have HID (although hers are automatic), Navi with back up camara, sunroof. And of course the main reason she got it was the adjustable foot pedals (shes short)

However hers was cheaper because she didnt get AWD. I think there both nice cars and it just depends on taste more and maybe my grandmom would have looked at the RDX if it was out at the time but hers is an 06 so it was before that. Actually she would have because we would have brought her there (we told her which car would be good for her and she went and drove them).

So I say in the end test drive both a lot and when your done test driving go back and drive them again and see which one you like more then the other one.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Advanced

I have been a pretty big fan of many of the (relatively) new Nissan/Inifiniti exterior designs but have always been really put off by their subpar interiors. My Mother-in-Law's new Maxima's interior is absolutely hideous.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by pittpanther
I have been a pretty big fan of many of the (relatively) new Nissan/Inifiniti exterior designs but have always been really put off by their subpar interiors. My Mother-in-Law's new Maxima's interior is absolutely hideous.
I agree with you completely. Before I bought my TSX, I looked at both the Maxima and G35. Loved both cars overall, but hated the hard plastic and goofy control layout. Also hated the seats in both cars.

The Murano is one of the nicer Nissan interiors but it still seems a little off.

Funny thing is that the RDX's interior gets some complaints too, but I really like it. Maybe I'm just used to the Acura control layout...
Old 03-13-2007, 03:33 PM
boostin'

I came from a Murano SL w/ leather to the RDX, and I like the RDX better in all comparative aspects except fuel consumption and the interior size is smaller for sure in the RDX--for rear passengers to have adequate leg room in the RDX, I have to have my driver's seat to close to the steering wheel for my tastes (I'm 6'3"), and that was never a factor in the Murano
Old 03-13-2007, 03:39 PM
CLS-6

murano = pig in spanish
Old 03-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Intermediate

my brother has one and he and his wife love it. From what i can tell from being in it a few times the ride is very comfortable but its just missing something. I dont know what "it" is but the car just feels different. The RDX has a much better ride IMO and looks much better once again just my opinion. I can tell you from first hand experience though that the rdx is faster than a murano.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:03 PM
10th Gear

Wink From the first Murano in MD, to the first RDX in MD also.

Originally Posted by RDX REX
I came from a Murano SL w/ leather to the RDX, and I like the RDX better in all comparative aspects except fuel consumption and the interior size is smaller for sure in the RDX--for rear passengers to have adequate leg room in the RDX, I have to have my driver's seat to close to the steering wheel for my tastes (I'm 6'3"), and that was never a factor in the Murano
I miss the Murano. It has a very quiet ride, sweet acceleration, very good MPG (24 compared to 19 on the RDX) It hugged curves too, never a problem with me cruising a tigh curve at 60. Sold it after 3 years anyway, it's time .
So, just follow your instincts when chosing a car. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:13 PM
07 RDX 04 TSX

I was considering a Pathfinder or Murano. I liked both of them. I think the thing that swayed me to the RDX is the level of service from our Acura dealer. They have treated us very well for the almost 4 years that we have had our TSX. The sales people are great, the service guys are great, and they are so friendly and accomodating. They give us that level of VIP sevice that everyone is looking for. That is something that I have never experienced at a Nissan dealer (Xtera owner for 6 years). They really take care of us at Acura.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Murano front look.....worst design ever........looks like an aligator....
Old 03-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dolparism
Murano front look.....worst design ever........looks like an aligator....
it's a nissan thing... i doubt the japanese designed that one... they know better.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Race Director

I've been looking on the web, but nothing on a future Murano. When is the Murano due for a makeover? Is a 2nd gen Murano on the horizon in a few years?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Not an Ashtray

There will be a new Murano this fall, along with a new CRV sized Nissan SUV, and a new Infiniti SUV.

I'm not sure where I read this - perhaps Freshalloy or Edmunds.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by darth62
There will be a new Murano this fall, along with a new CRV sized Nissan SUV, and a new Infiniti SUV.

I'm not sure where I read this - perhaps Freshalloy or Edmunds.
Do you have any links?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:44 PM
2007 RDX CGP/Taupe

Nissan Rogue will be introduced later this year. It should have either a 2.0L or 2.4L engine and AWD.

Infiniti will be introducing the CX35 with a 3.5 V6 and a CX25 with a 4 cylinder.

If you need to know about future vehicles go to edmunds.com then look for a link for 'Future Vehicles'.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by grooks1
Nissan Rogue will be introduced later this year. It should have either a 2.0L or 2.4L engine and AWD.

Infiniti will be introducing the CX35 with a 3.5 V6 and a CX25 with a 4 cylinder.

If you need to know about future vehicles go to edmunds.com then look for a link for 'Future Vehicles'.
I'm excited for those vehicles, but nothing on the Murano
Old 03-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Not an Ashtray

The 2008 Murano is definitely being discussed over at Edmunds.

I don't know what the board rules are here, but I'm not sure it is kosher to post links to other car forums. I hope the moderators will feel free to delete or edit this post if this is outside the range of the acceptable.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f10fd55/0
Old 03-16-2007, 10:10 PM
07 RDX White w/tech

I considered the Murano as well

Within a few hours before I bought my RDX, I looked over the Murano. My friend owns one and told me to look it up. I liked the smooth transmission and ride as well as the interior room. It gets about the same mileage as the RDX even though its a 6cyl. However the RDX smaller length is great when parking in tight places. I also loved the "glove" feeling of the RDX's seats- its like a cockpit-the Murano's seats are more truck like. There is also no comparison when it comes to the nav system-Acura is the best.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by HenryFL
Within a few hours before I bought my RDX, I looked over the Murano. My friend owns one and told me to look it up. I liked the smooth transmission and ride as well as the interior room. It gets about the same mileage as the RDX even though its a 6cyl. However the RDX smaller length is great when parking in tight places. I also loved the "glove" feeling of the RDX's seats- its like a cockpit-the Murano's seats are more truck like. There is also no comparison when it comes to the nav system-Acura is the best.
Width is a lot more important than length, at least for my driving needs (that is, getting in an out of parking spots). Out here in LA, we have all these stupid narrow spots in the parking garage. The theory here was that everybody would downsize to small vehicles when gas prices got high and then they could fit more cars in the garage. But, instead, the SUV craze hit.

With these narrow spots, 3 or 4 inches is the difference between getting door dings and having room. That is why I'd consider a RDX first even though the MDX is not that much more.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:28 PM
2007 RDX CGP/Taupe

Width is a lot more important than length
That's what all the women say
Old 03-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by grooks1
That's what all the women say
no, they say that the size of the SUV does not matter. What is important is how your drive it.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Racer

The theory here was that everybody would downsize to small vehicles when gas prices got high and then they could fit more cars in the garage. But, instead, the SUV craze hit.
Actually, the parking lot designers don't care what kind of car you drive. If they can squeeze 100 extra spaces into the lot by minimizing the spaces, then that is 100 more people spending money at the [insert business here].
Old 03-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by creativeguy
Actually, the parking lot designers don't care what kind of car you drive. If they can squeeze 100 extra spaces into the lot by minimizing the spaces, then that is 100 more people spending money at the [insert business here].
That theory might not hold, because the small parking spots are a factor in the free parking garages out here.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:41 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts

CO-INCIDENCE?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:00 PM
boostin'

Personally I think the Murano front end looks really good--I'm actually not sure how you could like the RDX front end and think the Murano front end is horrible
Old 03-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Not an Ashtray

I actually like the styling of both SUVs a lot. I've seen some posters talking about the RDX looking bland or boring, but I think it looks edgy. And, the Murano still ooks good to me, as it has since it first came out.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

Originally Posted by Jrezo
murano = pig in spanish
haha loll...well Murano its a nice looking car..but i think that the Rdx give us the impression of an agressive car..FOR MY OPINON..i love the Rdx more than the Murano
Old 03-21-2007, 02:24 PM
boostin'

I like the RDX looks better than the Murano also, I just don't think the Murano is ugly by any means