Anyone changed the BOV yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone changed the BOV yet?

Simple question, anyone changed out the blow-off valve to an aftermarket one yet or possibly upgraded the engine in any way?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:39 PM
10th Gear

i dont think anyone has done anything yet... i plan on getting rims and a turbo timer for my first mods... and wait for comptech to make some parts
Old 12-15-2006, 05:43 PM
07 RDX Tech - Blue/Ebony

you dont need a turbo timer.

its a waste of time/money. and avoid potential future electrical problems.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Cruisin'

Skip the turbo timer unless your racing it. Otherwise, after a hard run, you can always just run it for a few minutes anyways.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:40 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

I haven't heard of anyone changing the BOV -- it's not something you'd want to do unless it was paired with another mod. I believe the RDX BOV routes air back into the intake, so you'd need to remap the ECU if the aftermarket BOV had vastly different characteristics (especially if it was atmospheric).
Old 12-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Missin my TSX =(

turbo timer is useless... it was said in another thread that the rdx is water cooled...even after it is turned off
Old 12-17-2006, 12:29 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
yea i believe its actually a recycler valve, not the traditional blow off valve...and no need for turbo timer
Old 12-17-2006, 09:44 AM

As far back as I can remember (15-20 years) turbos have been using water cooled bearings, so turbo timers have not been needed for a long time. I guess TTs and BOVs are mainly engine candy at this point. There's not a downside to a TT, but the wrong BOV can be a problem. When I hung out with the WRX tuner crowd a few years ago, a lot of people changed the factory recirculating BOV for an atmospheric one to get the cool sound. Unfortunately, it made the engine run rich and would soot up the exhaust plumbing and utimately f%$k up a bunch of stuff. Made gas mileage notably worse too. If the ECU was re-programmed to account for the loss of recirc air, the problems could be avoided. But it was a lot of trouble to go to just to add a train steam-whistle sound with every gear shift....
Old 12-18-2006, 04:45 AM
10th Gear

well the only reason to get bov is if you run a way higher bust level.. which i dont plan on doing since i really dont wana ..since id prob have to upgrade damn near everything else ... as for the tt... isnt it used to slowly cool down the oil? instead of leaving it burning? and the rdx is water cooled? as in its a air to water intercooler?
Old 12-18-2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by pandaboi
well the only reason to get bov is if you run a way higher bust level.. which i dont plan on doing since i really dont wana ..since id prob have to upgrade damn near everything else ... as for the tt... isnt it used to slowly cool down the oil? instead of leaving it burning? and the rdx is water cooled? as in its a air to water intercooler?

The turbo has a water cooled bearing, and the coolant flow circulates (via convection) after the engine shuts off, thereby continually cooling the turbo.

The intercooler is air to air.

Turbo timers may have been beneficial about 20 years ago, when turbos where not cooled well. In the old days, the turbo would keep spinning after the engine shut down and burn up the oil (coking). Not an issue anymore, due to the cooling advances.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:41 PM
10th Gear

ah...thanks... nice go rdx
Old 12-18-2006, 09:10 PM
10th Gear

there is still some, albeit small and arguable merit to TT's...even being watercooled, the coolant and oil stop moving when the engine stops. the fluids are still hot and do take time to cool. some vehicle manufacturers get around this by using a pump that circulates the coolant for a designated amount of time after shut off to help with heat disapation. i think that TT's have a place in purpose built vehilces that are tracked, all in turbo preservation, with high and constant boost levels, but i won't be installing a TT in our RDX, don't think it's needed and most starters have a TT type option. what concerns me more about the rdx turbo system is the variable valving system. i would think that an extra moving part in/near the housing may be subject to longevity issues. but hey, if you want to spend the cash on HK$...then i can make a number of suggestions on where else you could benifit spending money...
Old 12-20-2006, 08:57 AM
07 RDX Tech - Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by ourzmzm
there is still some, albeit small and arguable merit to TT's...even being watercooled, the coolant and oil stop moving when the engine stops. the fluids are still hot and do take time to cool. some vehicle manufacturers get around this by using a pump that circulates the coolant for a designated amount of time after shut off to help with heat disapation. i think that TT's have a place in purpose built vehilces that are tracked, all in turbo preservation, with high and constant boost levels, but i won't be installing a TT in our RDX, don't think it's needed and most starters have a TT type option. what concerns me more about the rdx turbo system is the variable valving system. i would think that an extra moving part in/near the housing may be subject to longevity issues. but hey, if you want to spend the cash on HK$...then i can make a number of suggestions on where else you could benifit spending money...
as was said before, in most modern turbo cars, there is a second resevoir above the turbo. this allows a natural syphon (via convection) where the coolant WILL still circulate even when the car is off. the coolant will continue to circulate until the coolant has cooled down.