After DIY oil change 2 weeks ago...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After DIY oil change 2 weeks ago...

my wife was asking if I didn't clean up in the garage the patch of oil left on the floor. I didn't think too much about it, thinking I probably dripped some oil from the collecting container. When I went to clean up the mess, my wife said that she actually cleaned it up a few days ago, but saw the mess again and asked if I changed the oil again for some reason. I was like, okay, the oil is probably dripping out of the engine. I squeezed under the RDX, and true enough the oil lug nut was dripping oil, and loose. Wow... if the nut actually came loose, and the engine lose oil, that would have been an issue with the turbo. I immediately checked the engine oil level, and thank God it was still at the min level (or maybe slightly below it). After tightening the lug nut, I put back about 300ml of engine oil in, and rechecked to make sure the oil level in between the min and max levels. This kind of freaked me out a little.
The engine still runs fine, and I seriously think the synthetic oil made the difference. With dino oil, the engine will probably not be liking it very much, overheating... The engine temperature level read fine, the whole 2 weeks...
Old 09-12-2010, 12:33 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
engine temp level is an indication of the coolant temp level and not oil temp, (there is some crossover, but there is enough reserve in the cooling system, let alone the temp gauge being so dead at times, that you probably would have never noticed it there

as far as that drain plug being loose, normally it is installation error; ie not tightening it; or the pan has some issues and needs to be replaced
Old 09-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Book says; R&R oil drain plug gasket (14mm), torque to 33lbs.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 09-12-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's why I take our vehicles to the dealer for oil changes and all other service.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:15 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
Originally Posted by eilros
That's why I take our vehicles to the dealer for oil changes and all other service.
Dealers can mess up oil changes too.
If you're competent, you can change the oil. It's not that hard, all you have to do is go over your work. Making sure that everything is tight and no rags or any foreign objects are in the engine bay.

OP, glad you caught it in time. Always, check your work.
I have a habit of checking the oil level a week later after the oil change. Just to make sure the oil level is not leaking any where.

Last edited by justnspace; 09-14-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
So you learned a good lesson -- always leak-check your work....and check it again a few days later. Now you're a better DIYer.

I became a DIYer when dealer mistakes became intolerable -- have never looked back.

ps not copying you justnspace, we were typing at the same time!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
So you learned a good lesson -- always leak-check your work....and check it again a few days later. Now you're a better DIYer.

I became a DIYer when dealer mistakes became intolerable -- have never looked back.

ps not copying you justnspace, we were typing at the same time!

Yup, I have changed the oil in the RDX for like 12 times now over 4 years, I was just careless this time round.

But honestly, I really am a believer in a routine oil change every 3000 miles, it keeps a car engine running like "new".
Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 AM
kas
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't done an oil change on my wife's RDX yet but I'm assuming they use a crush washer. OP, did you replace this when doing the oil change?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 AM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Dealers can mess up oil changes too.
If you're competent, you can change the oil. It's not that hard, all you have to do is go over your work. Making sure that everything is tight and no rags or any foreign objects are in the engine bay.

OP, glad you caught it in time. Always, check your work.
I have a habit of checking the oil level a week later after the oil change. Just to make sure the oil level is not leaking any where.
This
Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by mav238
my wife was asking if I didn't clean up in the garage the patch of oil left on the floor. I didn't think too much about it, thinking I probably dripped some oil from the collecting container. When I went to clean up the mess, my wife said that she actually cleaned it up a few days ago, but saw the mess again and asked if I changed the oil again for some reason. I was like, okay, the oil is probably dripping out of the engine. I squeezed under the RDX, and true enough the oil lug nut was dripping oil, and loose. Wow... if the nut actually came loose, and the engine lose oil, that would have been an issue with the turbo. I immediately checked the engine oil level, and thank God it was still at the min level (or maybe slightly below it). After tightening the lug nut, I put back about 300ml of engine oil in, and rechecked to make sure the oil level in between the min and max levels. This kind of freaked me out a little.
The engine still runs fine, and I seriously think the synthetic oil made the difference. With dino oil, the engine will probably not be liking it very much, overheating... The engine temperature level read fine, the whole 2 weeks...
Due to the more consistent viscosity of synthetic oil, it is more likely to find and expose a leak. Dino oil is much more sensitive to temperature when it comes to viscosity. You probably would have leaked less with dino oil but I still wouldn't use it in the RDX.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:20 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mav238
Yup, I have changed the oil in the RDX for like 12 times now over 4 years, I was just careless this time round.

But honestly, I really am a believer in a routine oil change every 3000 miles, it keeps a car engine running like "new".
especially with a hair dryer under the hood, it is even more important (and when you have to drop the oil pan after 110k to replace it [screwed up drain plug threads ] and the oil pan is basically spotless inside of it, it makes it worthwhile that the rest of the motor is more then likely that way too