Acura RDX vs. '06 Murano

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006 | 02:40 PM
5th Gear

Acura RDX vs. '06 Murano

Thank you all for replying to the "Acura RDX vs. Infiniti CX 25/35" thread. It is indeed going to be interesting to compare both the cars when CX rolls out.

Now, I am curious to learn how would you rate RDX against '06 Murano ?

Cheers,
- Jyoti
Old 08-06-2006 | 12:35 AM
Booya

Angry

Cross-shopper. Can't make up your mind on which vehicle to buy huh !? Take a break until the RDX's are out in the showroom. Then, test drive the RDX and the other vehicles you are considering back to back and go with the one you like.
Old 08-07-2006 | 08:36 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dipkat
Cross-shopper. Can't make up your mind on which vehicle to buy huh !? Take a break until the RDX's are out in the showroom. Then, test drive the RDX and the other vehicles you are considering back to back and go with the one you like.

I would refrain myself from comments like this w/o really knowing the facts. Nonetheless, forums are supposed to exchange ideas and in a way educate the members. I asked a question that I was curious about and wanted to get other's opinion - if you have an answer, then reply. Otherwise, your suggestion is simply common sense, which I probably have in abundance.
Old 08-07-2006 | 09:31 AM
Instructor

I owned a 2003 Murano SL AWD for nearly 3 years. I loved the Murano, but wanted something more fun to drive (2006 TL). The 3.5 VQ is an excellent engine and the CVT is awesome. Good acceleration (0-60 in 7.5 sec.) and may gas mileage was between 18-20 mpg. Typically, in the summer it was higher and I'm what I would call an "assertive" driver. I have no hesitation recommending the Murano. The only advantage I see to the RDX at this point is Acura warranty/ service.
Old 08-07-2006 | 12:56 PM
Booya

Originally Posted by jpathak
I would refrain myself from comments like this w/o really knowing the facts. Nonetheless, forums are supposed to exchange ideas and in a way educate the members. I asked a question that I was curious about and wanted to get other's opinion - if you have an answer, then reply. Otherwise, your suggestion is simply common sense, which I probably have in abundance.
The point I was trying to make is that it is kinda lame to compare the Acura RDX, which very few have seen in reality and/or actually even driven it. with every other car out there. So whats next after the Murano 06 thread, the BMW X3 2007 comparo? I love comparo thread's myself, but the comparison is useless unless we know how the car actually looks, feel's, drive's in reality. It's all holy smoke and water until then.
Old 08-07-2006 | 01:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

The point I was trying to make is that it is kinda lame to compare the Acura RDX, which very few have seen in reality and/or actually even driven it. with every other car out there. So whats next after the Murano 06 thread, the BMW X3 2007 comparo? I love comparo thread's myself, but the comparison is useless unless we know how the car actually looks, feel's, drive's in reality. It's all holy smoke and water until then.
Exactly!! Any discussion is moot until we get a chance to see and drive the RDX. Furthermore, we all have different opinions and tastes in cars, so asking for the opinions of others is just courting confrontation. I've made this point before, but it is like asking which is better, Coke or Pepsi. Some people prefer Acura styling and some people prefer other brands. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong. Drive the cars that you are considering and buy the one you like.
Old 08-07-2006 | 05:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by tktommy
I owned a 2003 Murano SL AWD for nearly 3 years. I loved the Murano, but wanted something more fun to drive (2006 TL). The 3.5 VQ is an excellent engine and the CVT is awesome. Good acceleration (0-60 in 7.5 sec.) and may gas mileage was between 18-20 mpg. Typically, in the summer it was higher and I'm what I would call an "assertive" driver. I have no hesitation recommending the Murano. The only advantage I see to the RDX at this point is Acura warranty/ service.
I own an 05 SL AWD and with you 100%!!

That said, the RDX looks VERY promising. Time will tell on how it will compares with the Murano/FX/CX/RAV4/X3.
Old 08-07-2006 | 08:47 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by hondamore
Exactly!! Any discussion is moot until we get a chance to see and drive the RDX. Furthermore, we all have different opinions and tastes in cars, so asking for the opinions of others is just courting confrontation. I've made this point before, but it is like asking which is better, Coke or Pepsi. Some people prefer Acura styling and some people prefer other brands. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong. Drive the cars that you are considering and buy the one you like.

The reason I raised this question because I believe some of us in this forum did actually drive RDX (and perhaps Murano in the past too). I was more interested in getting their feedback, as opposed to having a discussion thread with no interesting results.
Old 08-12-2006 | 02:07 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

couldn't have said it better myself
Old 08-12-2006 | 07:37 AM
Instructor

Yeah, because test drives tell you so much about long term reliability and owner satisfaction. Jeez, cut him some slack. Why would someone asking for opinions get you bent out of shape?
Old 08-17-2006 | 09:19 AM
1st Gear

I own a Murano '03 SL. I love it. Fast, responsive, smooth (not everybody agrees), CVT is great, good fuel economy for its size and some. However, i've always been attracted to the Acura MDX and came close to getting before i finally decided on the Murano instead. The RDX seems promissing, though i would have expected better fuel economy for a smaller engine compared to the Murano. The Murano has a 3.5lt engine and i get 21-22 mpg. One plus for the RDX is the very neat aware winning Acura nav system. I don't have a nav in the Murano which has always bothered me a bit but it was either that or adding 4 grand to my purchase. I now have a Tomtom to compensate Another plus for the RDX is the "Technology package" which seems to includes all the cool features for a bit more than 36 grand whereas the Murano fully equipped surpasses the 38 grand.

If you are on the market for a car, thought i would definitely recommend the Murano, i would also suggest taking a closer look at the RDX and comparing things like fuel economy and package options.

Not that it matters (since i have never tried it) but the Murano is supposed to be able to do 0-60 in 7.0 sec according to MottoWeek http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2222a.shtml as opposed to the RDX of 7.4 sec.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-18-2006 | 10:58 AM
1st Gear

I was looking at the Murano and the RDX and ended up getting a Murano SL with everything but the Nav (goingt to add the new Garmin GVM 52 or a Nuvi 360, which has bluetooth communication) this past weekend. The main reasons for my desicion were:

- Price. Sticker on Murano was $37, 600, which is very similar to RDX but the Nissan dealer was willing to sell to me just below invoice, which saved me about $4400.
- Financing. I could have paid cash for either but I was able to get 2.9 APR on the Murano, which allows me to put my money elsewhere and make more than 2.9.
- Similar Size. The Murano is a little larger than the RDX, which for me is a bonus due to my family (1 and 3 year old).
- Similar power. RDX has a little more torque but not THAT much more to make a massive difference. I was seeing 0-60 times of about 7.7 seconds with the Murano (I have heard of people doing 7.5 but, I can't see it happening).
- Trim. Trim and finish is a little nicer on the Acura, but again, not THAT much nicer to make a huge difference.
- Local dealer. Since I live in a medium size metro area, I don't have an Acura dealer close by (closest one is 2 hours away). I have a Nissan dealer in town.
- Waiting. The two dealers I talked to said that they were not sure when they would be able to get me what I wanted (silver w/ nav) - this was minor, however.

That being said, I really do like the RDX, and if it was a year from now, I would have probably gotten the RDX. However, I wanted a car now and I didn't feel like waiting - my opportunity cost of going with the Acura was a little too high.