Accessories -

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 02:35 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accessories -

I've been waiting since 1st wk Sept. for my silver tech. to arrive. Now that it's here, I'm debating the accessories so I can actually pick it up and start driving it.

I'm definately getting the following:

- front skirt
- rear diffuser
- cargo tray
- rear bumper applique
- all-weather mats

I'm stuck on the following items, and could really use your help deciding:

- side mouldings
- running boards
- roof rack

Please post your opinions, comments, etc.

It'd be nice to make this thing look amazing!!
Old 12-29-2006, 04:10 AM
Photographer

i got the running boards and i love them. didnt want to get the side mouldings. they make the car look ugly IMHO.

heres a pic of my car with the running boards

Old 12-29-2006, 06:46 AM
5th Gear

Accessories

I just got the white pearl, but no assessories. Can I have the running boards and flaps added now? Would I get them at the dealer?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2006, 06:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DNPhotography
didnt want to get the side mouldings. they make the car look ugly IMHO.
You've definitely shown you like the clean look! Still like your debadging. I'm thinking of removing some but not all like you did. maybe the turbo and the sh-awd.

as for the roof rack, I think it give the RDX a more utility look, which is good if that's what you are going for. If you are getting the front under spoiler and rear diffuser, thos give it the more sporty/performance. You could do both, but my vote would be for one or the other. Of course it's not all about looks, if you are going to use the rack, then defnitely get it, but since you are up in the air about it, I take it you don't have a specific use in mind.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Julie8000
I just got the white pearl, but no assessories. Can I have the running boards and flaps added now? Would I get them at the dealer?

Thanks
Yes you can get them anytime. If you are a DIY kind of person, you can buy them and install them yourself. They come with good instructions. if not, you can buy them from your dealer and have them install. They will probably charge you quite a bit for installation though. Another alternative would be to buy them on your own and have a body shop install them. Probably charge less than acura dealer...

you can buy accessories from www.hondacuraworld.com or www.curryacuraparts.com or other sellers on ebay.....
Old 12-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Intermediate

IMHO the running boards look great but are more of a hassel than what they're worth when getting in/out. I originally thought that I would opt for them but quickly decided against it after the test drive model was equipped with them. As for the side molding, I was originally against them (looking for a cleaner look) but considering the parking lot at my work decided to opt for the side molding as sort of a "sacrificial lamb" in hopes that my doors are saved. So far, IMHO, I don't even notice them and am glad I got em!
The other options for me were also the all weather mats (a must in my opinion) and a leather shift knob (which I love!)
Best of luck with your RDX - I too have silver/ebony and LOVE it! Where abouts are you that you've been waiting so long for this color combo?
Old 12-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Advanced

In Alberta, Canada - it was supposed to arrive in October, but was delayed until December. They gave us a (slight) discount to compensate - my only concern is that some blowhard might have come in and demanded something sooner and taken our RDX when it came in. Too bad I can't find the original VIN number to make a comparison to the VIN we've got now...

I LOVE the running boards on the white RDX - very cool looking. And nice without the mouldings - I'm not keen on sticking a piece of plastic onto the side of the vehicle, but then what about those door dings??

Do any of you think the roof rack makes the vehicle look cheaper (since it's just black/plastic)?? Again, I'm totally into whatever makes the vehicle look stupendous I anticipate needing a roof box in the summer for a trip to the mountains now and then, and possibly loading bikes on the top, but who knows, it might never happen.

What happens if I pick up the vehicle without the roof box/roof rack now, and then purchase them later?? Do you think the dealer will penalize me pricewise??

Any other comments out there about the boards, side mouldings, roof rack??
Old 12-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Photographer

i got my running boards installed with my dealer at the time of purchase. save me the hassle but not the $$$. but when installed at the time of purchase its covered by the warranty. well at least mine is. so if anything goes wrong, ie. the running boards fall off (doubt it will happen) im covered by my warranty.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:54 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FWIW, my gf has a Suzuki XL-7 with running boards and I bang my shins/calves on them every time I get in and out of her car. Plus they are another opportunity to dirty up one's pant legs...but like anything else, if you like them, get 'em. As for dealer penalizing you, no, that's not how it works. Sometimes you can get a better price by adding accessories up front, but also like anything else, "everything's negotiable." As someone else mentioned, you can always get a body shop to install your goodies as well.

My RDX will have the mudguards, wheel locks and all-season mats. Plus rear cargo mat and leather shift knob. Maybe side moldings down the road.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Advanced

What's with the leather shift knob - what are the benefits?? There are a few people getting that installed with their RDX.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mommy_barbie
What's with the leather shift knob - what are the benefits?? There are a few people getting that installed with their RDX.

The benefit is that you get a leather shift knob.

Regarding your accessories, unless you like paying too much money to the stealership, I would buy all of the things you mention on-line and install them yourself, or with the help of a backyard mechanic.

Considering where you're from, the one accessory that you haven't mentioned that is actually worthwhile to you is the block heater. I come out to Calgary fairly often, and man, does it get cold.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Acuras since 1988

I'm taking mine back to get oneof those cool pinstripes with the little A at the back. I'm surprised nobody mentions them
Old 12-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

pinstripes are old school. Not really the in thing these days. Used to be you could get a car without them. I remember buying car and the first thing I'd do before driving it off the lot was peel off the pin stripes they just put on. I couldn't believe how much they tried to charge for those things. especially after watching a guy take about 3-4 minutes put in on and then see the $200 PINSTRIPES on the dealer add-ons sticker. Crooks.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Missin my TSX =(

i got the front shirt and running boards and side moldings and color matched mud flaps... i love them all, except the fact that when i first picked up the car, the side moldings werent installed nicely

Old 12-30-2006, 12:42 AM
Advanced

AFter looking at all your pics and weighing everyone's comments, here's my list:

- front skirt
- side mouldings
- running boards
- colour matched mud flaps (assumed these were standard - I'll have to ask)

NOW, I'm up in the air about:

- leather shift knob (I noticed someone out there love's theirs)
- roof rack
- rear diffuser

What's the point of the rear diffuser anyways - does it make the vehcile look better?? I notice that most of you (it sounds like) don't have the rear diffuser, and I'm wondering why.

Also, regarding the block heater - they told me there was an extra charge for this, but that it was included with the standard mats, etc. I'd better double check.

ABOUT THE RIMS - I don't think any of you went for the 19" rims - but I was looking at a pic of the silver RDX with the Acura 19" rims and the silver "sparkle" mags (the ones that DON'T have that high-shine chrome look). They are a fortune - but I would love to have them, or to at least see a picture of them on someone's vehicle. What are your thoughts here??
Old 12-30-2006, 08:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

What's the point of the rear diffuser anyways - does it make the vehcile look better?? I notice that most of you (it sounds like) don't have the rear diffuser, and I'm wondering why.

Also, regarding the block heater - they told me there was an extra charge for this, but that it was included with the standard mats, etc. I'd better double check.

ABOUT THE RIMS - I don't think any of you went for the 19" rims - but I was looking at a pic of the silver RDX with the Acura 19" rims and the silver "sparkle" mags (the ones that DON'T have that high-shine chrome look). They are a fortune - but I would love to have them, or to at least see a picture of them on someone's vehicle. What are your thoughts here??
I think someone here had the 19" rims cuz I remember a discussion on how much credit they give you for the stock rims which was something like $600. They look nice, but the ride is rougher with them. Plus the winter performance is worse with them. And Acura charges alot for them. Check the owners pics thread.

I don't think the rear diffuser does anything as far as diffusing goes. It is mostly for looks I think. You either like it or you don't. I didn't think it was worth the cost.

Not sure why your dealer would tell you the block heater had anything to do with floor mats. Maybe they have a winter bundle of all weather mats and the block heater? If they do it would be particular to your dealer... I know the block heater is a $50 item. I've never had one, so I don't know what all is involved in installing one.

Oh and FYI, I don't think they sell color matched mud flaps. I think eric painted his...
Old 12-30-2006, 08:53 AM
Racer

The running boards look fairly useless to me, unless you're a midget. Its not like the RDX has the ride height of an F150. Am I missing something?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:28 AM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by Fishbulb
The running boards look fairly useless to me, unless you're a midget. Its not like the RDX has the ride height of an F150. Am I missing something?

They look macho

I think the running boards actually look bad on the RDX, since they make the vehicle look even taller and stubbier. I definitely would not get them myself.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:31 AM
Missin my TSX =(

- colour matched mud flaps (assumed these were standard - I'll have to ask)

nah they r not standard... i had to send them to a shop to get them painted
Old 12-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Intermediate

I opted for the leather knob even though some might say its frivolous - my opinion, what's an extra hundred!? I am happy I went with it though, I think its a nice touch and looks great.
As for the body colored splashguards - I too was hoping that was standard. However, I got them anyway and the black doesn't look so bad. I am considering having them painted though b/c they did look SO much better in those pics!
Old 12-30-2006, 01:19 PM
Advanced

Hey CHILLINTSX

So, where and how did you paint those mud flaps?? Did the dealer do it? How did you do a paint match, and how was it applied? Is there any chance it'll chip or flake? And have you noticed it getting fairly dirty, or is the dirt not so noticeable??

They just look so awesome - I can't help but ask.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:32 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by chyllintsx
i got the front shirt and running boards and side moldings and color matched mud flaps... i love them all, except the fact that when i first picked up the car, the side moldings werent installed nicely
Damn chyllin.... I was going to forgo the front lip, but you car looks SO SWEET, I guess I'm going to have to go for it.

Very nice!!!
Old 12-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Missin my TSX =(

So, where and how did you paint those mud flaps?? Did the dealer do it? How did you do a paint match, and how was it applied? Is there any chance it'll chip or flake? And have you noticed it getting fairly dirty, or is the dirt not so noticeable??

haha thanks... i have a buddy that works at a paint shop... so i got him to paint them for me... dealer? HA!... they wont do sh*t for u
Old 12-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by oblio98
Damn chyllin.... I was going to forgo the front lip, but you car looks SO SWEET, I guess I'm going to have to go for it.

Very nice!!!
haha thanks man
Old 12-30-2006, 05:54 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Any body shop can do it -- they just need to add a flex agent/additive to the paint. The paint may chip (like the rest of the car), but otherwise painted flaps are fairly durable. We had them on our 03 Forester and they held up fine.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

well i only got the running boards..i want it to put the front skirt but i said maybe not cuz i wanted to change the rims to the ronjons

we see the running boards on the side a lil bit..i kno..my car is dirty..need a car wash by simoniz high pressure washing..lol
Old 12-31-2006, 11:23 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

today it was snowing in montreal and then i was at the mall and to go in my rdx i step onto the running board and i felt-_-...it was slippery on the ground and even on the running board-_-..wow my back hurts.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:30 PM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by Rdxowner
today it was snowing in montreal and then i was at the mall and to go in my rdx i step onto the running board and i felt-_-...it was slippery on the ground and even on the running board-_-..wow my back hurts.

hahahahahahahaha r u like 4 feet tall? i NEVER used my running boards ever... mah mom never even used it and i only got it for her and for looks
Old 01-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

hahahahahahahaha r u like 4 feet tall? i NEVER used my running boards ever... mah mom never even used it and i only got it for her and for looks
lol i wanted to use the running board cuz it's like i bought it for nuthin..loll wanted to do the same thing than my daughter climb up with the stepping bar loll
Old 01-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

loll finally i get to see the car that you raced with=)..damn that's hot..even hotter than mine:|..look at this:

VS.

lool i like your car too =) wanna trade? Canadian Model To American Model
Old 01-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Missin my TSX =(

wait u have a daughter? thought you were 19 haha... i got the running boards cuz mah mom is short and for looks

thanks, but my car isnt much different from yours haha just the front lip... and no i dont want to trade haha u have no navi and its BRONZE!??!! haha
Old 01-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

wait u have a daughter? thought you were 19 haha... i got the running boards cuz mah mom is short and for looks

thanks, but my car isnt much different from yours haha just the front lip... and no i dont want to trade haha u have no navi and its BRONZE!??!! haha
nah dude just kiddin,yes i have a daughter at 19..lol i kno..and no it aint bronze,its that Gray pearl..nwayz keep it fly!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

Btw i was going to get the Bronze one but they diddnt have nmore in stock so they suggested the gray one.I like it.cuz here in Mtl The dealer told me that they sold 49Rdx in October but i don't see any on the road only 6.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Missin my TSX =(

oh thank god man... grey is okay... but damn in EVERY single one of you pics, it looks bronze... u need a car wash haha
Old 01-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Photographer

this maybe a dumb question but does the front underbody come painted?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:12 AM
Photographer

nevermind. just saw this on curry. "Comes factory painted for an exact color match"
Old 01-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by DNPhotography
nevermind. just saw this on curry. "Comes factory painted for an exact color match"
incorrect my friend... sure it comes painted... but its not exact color match... i got mine from there b4 i even picked up the rdx... and installed it a week later... the color is completely noticeably different
Old 01-03-2007, 01:46 AM
Photographer

incorrect my friend... sure it comes painted... but its not exact color match... i got mine from there b4 i even picked up the rdx... and installed it a week later... the color is completely noticeably different
really? why do they advertise it that way then? oh well. did you repaint it?
Old 01-03-2007, 02:33 AM
Advanced

Hmmm...I'm not getting very far. We're installing a few things, and then we're going to take a look and see how things shape up.

Right now, the dealer's putting on:

- cargo tray
- all weather mats
- rear bumper applique
- front spoiler

I'm also going to get the leather shift knob installed - I'd rather be hanging onto leather than onto rubber or plastic ; ) Thanks for all the input on this little add-on.

I'm still stuck on the MAJOR items though and should decide fairly soon

- those darn side mouldings
- running boards (these would definately be for looks only)
- rear diffuser
- roof rack

I recently read on another post that the rack might slow things down, but I'm thinking we'll eventually need one for travel, Xmas trees, etc. If I don't get one know, I might just end up getting one before summer hits.

Looks like we might have blown it with the cargo tray - sounds like the cargo liner is more practical - at least a lot of people on the board are really pleased with it. However, the dealer tried to tell us most people opt for the tray (sounds like they're wrong).

As noted before, I'm not into SUV's etc., so I REALLY just want to make this think look smaller, faster, and lower to the ground. Is there anything on the list that is going to do the opposite?? What items are needed to accomplish this??

And, is it true that if we're getting the roof rack down the road, that we should avoid all the other trimmings as well??
Old 01-03-2007, 03:15 AM
Photographer

Hmmm...I'm not getting very far. We're installing a few things, and then we're going to take a look and see how things shape up.

Right now, the dealer's putting on:

- cargo tray
- all weather mats
- rear bumper applique
- front spoiler

I'm also going to get the leather shift knob installed - I'd rather be hanging onto leather than onto rubber or plastic ; ) Thanks for all the input on this little add-on.

I'm still stuck on the MAJOR items though and should decide fairly soon

- those darn side mouldings
- running boards (these would definately be for looks only)
- rear diffuser
- roof rack

I recently read on another post that the rack might slow things down, but I'm thinking we'll eventually need one for travel, Xmas trees, etc. If I don't get one know, I might just end up getting one before summer hits.

Looks like we might have blown it with the cargo tray - sounds like the cargo liner is more practical - at least a lot of people on the board are really pleased with it. However, the dealer tried to tell us most people opt for the tray (sounds like they're wrong).

As noted before, I'm not into SUV's etc., so I REALLY just want to make this think look smaller, faster, and lower to the ground. Is there anything on the list that is going to do the opposite?? What items are needed to accomplish this??

And, is it true that if we're getting the roof rack down the road, that we should avoid all the other trimmings as well??
i like the tray. already spilt water inadvertently and it saved me alot of hassle.

Quick Reply: Accessories -