About AC

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About AC

How to turn the ac off, but keep the fan on? So the unchanged wind can come inside?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:18 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
i believe u just hit the a/c button and the display should say "a/c off" with the fan still runnin...
Old 11-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by djbonsu
i believe u just hit the a/c button and the display should say "a/c off" with the fan still runnin...
But the temperatures are still on. Will AC change the air based on the temperatures?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
If you press the a/c button it will turn off the compressor. I do this all the time right before I pull into my subdivision. The air will just blow as if it is trying to cool the car down, but unless it suddenly gets cold outside, nothing will happen to the temperature in the car. The fan will just blow a little harder. This is a great way to save gas anytime of the year, as that comp turns on and off all the time when you have it in automatic mode. I turn it off before I pull in the driveway to try and eliminate that musty smell that you can get from a evaporator/cooler unit that sits wet to long. And I hate the puddle of water that ends up on my garage floor.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:01 PM
"Like None Other"

yes, if you hit "auto" the a/c is ALWAYS running to maintain the correct cabin temperature. most people dont know this but upon finding this out, i just hit the a/c button to not run the a/c.

if the a/c is off, the temp will still change.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, if you hit "auto" the a/c is ALWAYS running to maintain the correct cabin temperature. most people dont know this but upon finding this out, i just hit the a/c button to not run the a/c.

clarification/confusion for me too: if the a/c button is off, the cabin temp will still be maintained to your desired temp? or it's just the blower working with no potential to cool or heat your cabin? (my read on all these is that it's just the blower working, hence if it's really cold outside, say 0F, and you were at 68F inside the cabin, your temp inside the cabin will drop slowly and not be maintained with the A/C button at "OFF" position, correct?)

Last edited by discovermac; 11-01-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
When the system is in Auto mode, it will maintain the desired cabin temp using the a/c compressor as needed.

While in Auto mode, if you press the A/C button (display shows "A/C off") you have simply turned off the a/c compressor. However, the rest of the system is still in Auto mode. It will still try to maintain the desired as best it can without the compressor. If the weather is not too hot, this will usually work just fine. However, if the weather is hot, there is no amount of fan speed that will cool down the cabin.

Also note when it's very cold, that the a/c compressor also acts as a dehumidifier. So if you turn off the a/c compressor, the windows may begin to fog up.

I also normally turn off the a/c compressor a few blocks before reaching home, so I can "air out" the vents to prevent that musty smell.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Intermediate

since we're on the subject of A/C, i found this on the acura site and a tad confused on what they mean:

"Caring for the A/C system
Run the air conditioning at least once a week during the cold weather months. Run it for at least ten minutes while driving at a steady speed with the engine at normal operating temperature. This circulates the lubricating oil contained in the refrigerant. In cold weather, never turn the fan off except during the first few minutes of operation. Your climate control system will work best if you keep air circulating."

My understanding of the word "A/C" is that it "conditions the air" - hence even if heat is coming out during winter months, the A/C, so long as the button is "on", is working.

However, the quote above indicates the need to circulate the "lubricating oil contained in the refrigerant" -- in order to circulate this lubricating oil, does this mean I have to have cold air coming out of the blower even during winter months? (eg. in short, for me to circulate this lubricating oil, I have to make the interior of my vehicle really cold even if it's freezing outside as it talked about refrigerant and not heater? does this make sense?)

Thanks for your help and sorry to hijack this thread a tad - still related to AC's though
Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
hit auto then press AC off
Old 11-02-2010, 12:09 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by discovermac
My understanding of the word "A/C" is that it "conditions the air" - hence even if heat is coming out during winter months, the A/C, so long as the button is "on", is working.

However, the quote above indicates the need to circulate the "lubricating oil contained in the refrigerant" -- in order to circulate this lubricating oil, does this mean I have to have cold air coming out of the blower even during winter months? (eg. in short, for me to circulate this lubricating oil, I have to make the interior of my vehicle really cold even if it's freezing outside as it talked about refrigerant and not heater? does this make sense?)
With the system in "Auto" (and the AC not manually selected off) the AC will run only if the desired temp is set below the outside temp. This is true in both winter and summer. It's just much easier to get the AC to run in summer.

In winter the AC will not run, because the desired temp is well above the outside temp. To circulate the refrigerant/oil, set the desired temp several degrees below the outside temp -- yes, it's going to get very cold .

An easier way to activate the AC regularly in winter is to use the windshield defrost button. This automatically runs the AC system to deliver dry air to the windshield.

Last edited by 737 Jock; 11-02-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 737 Jock
With the system in "Auto" (and the AC not manually selected off) the AC will run only if the desired temp is set below the outside temp. This is true in both winter and summer. It's just much easier to get the AC to run in summer.

In winter the AC will not run, because the desired temp is well above the outside temp. To circulate the refrigerant/oil, set the desired temp several degrees below the outside temp -- yes, it's going to get very cold .

An easier way to activate the AC regularly in winter is to use the windshield defrost button. This automatically runs the AC system to deliver dry air to the windshield.
Darn! I guess I'll be wearing a parka and my gloves inside the car once a week especially as the requirement is:

"Run it for at least ten minutes while driving at a steady speed with the engine at normal operating temperature" - if the weather outside is 35F, I have to freeze myself off at 33F inside the car driving. This sounds absurd but if that's what it takes to ensure no A/C problems, I guess - am surprised Acura engineers their A/C this way but I guess it is what it is.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by schen72
When the system is in Auto mode, it will maintain the desired cabin temp using the a/c compressor as needed.

While in Auto mode, if you press the A/C button (display shows "A/C off") you have simply turned off the a/c compressor. However, the rest of the system is still in Auto mode. It will still try to maintain the desired as best it can without the compressor. If the weather is not too hot, this will usually work just fine. However, if the weather is hot, there is no amount of fan speed that will cool down the cabin.

Also note when it's very cold, that the a/c compressor also acts as a dehumidifier. So if you turn off the a/c compressor, the windows may begin to fog up.

I also normally turn off the a/c compressor a few blocks before reaching home, so I can "air out" the vents to prevent that musty smell.
^What he said...
Darn! I guess I'll be wearing a parka and my gloves inside the car once a week especially as the requirement is:

"Run it for at least ten minutes while driving at a steady speed with the engine at normal operating temperature" - if the weather outside is 35F, I have to freeze myself off at 33F inside the car driving. This sounds absurd but if that's what it takes to ensure no A/C problems, I guess - am surprised Acura engineers their A/C this way but I guess it is what it is.
I would think that running the defroster would accomplish the same thing as it uses the A/C to remove moisture from the inside of the vehicle.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Instructor

So press A/C key will display "AC OFF", but no fan mode icon on screen, at this situation where does the fan blow the wind?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Fan is still in "auto" mode. It blows either to the floor or vents or both as it senses a need. If you press the fan speed button you will be selecting a specific fan speed and the fan speed icon will appear. You can keep the fan from blowing really hard (in the climate control systems attempt to cool the car down), if you press the fan speed buttons right after you turn off the A/C.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 11-02-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by schen72

I think this means in winter, you can set the temperature higher, like 78,78, then press auto, the AC will heat the car.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

^The climate control system will heat the car using hot antifreeze from the engine block. A/C is for cooling and moisture removal.
If you want to be really confused I could explain how the heat-exchangers on my 911 worked.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Instructor

A/C is off, the car still want to maintance the two temperatures. The best thing is: press "off", the fan can still run.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Off turns everything off, the only air would be coming from the passive vents. Unless you are referring to the A/C button.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 11-03-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Off turns everything off, the only air would be coming from the passive vents. Unless you are referring to the A/C button.
Don't know who needs this all "off" function. We can't stay in a car without air come in.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:29 PM
"Like None Other"

Originally Posted by truelies
A/C is off, the car still want to maintance the two temperatures. The best thing is: press "off", the fan can still run.
^^wat are you tryin to achieve
Old 11-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by truelies
Don't know who needs this all "off" function. We can't stay in a car without air come in.
Every vehicles' cabin/interior is vented to provide fresh air for the occupants.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Instructor

Every vehicles' cabin/interior is vented to provide fresh air for the occupants.
Usually I can't feel the air from vent, it's too weak. My previous car, a 1996 nissan can just turn the fan on without A/C. Looks like other cars removed this function.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

finally got the most definitive answer from acura itself - problem solved! thanks for your inputs guys...

"You are making reference to two different issues altogether. The first is the lubricating oil in the refrigerant, which needs to circulate from time to time, hence the suggestion to have the system operating at least once a week.

The second issue is related to the system in general. A/C will work in the winter when you choose to defog the windshield, and as the temperature is selected on warm or hot, the air will come out from the system after losing a high amount of humidity, and as such, defogging will be enhanced considerably.

In general terms, selecting defog and running the system on warm air in the winter and using it in the summer for cooling down the interior is the proper way of maintaining it in proper operating conditions."

in short, no need to freeze inside the cabin during winter