2011 RDX with infant and 4 adults

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 10:58 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 RDX with infant and 4 adults

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum!!

My wife and I are seriously considering the 2011 RDX AWD with Tech as our next car, just in time for our first baby!! So had a BIG question please:

Does a rear-facing infant car seat fit well in the middle rear seat with space for 2 adults on either side (i.e. 4 adults + 1 infant car seat in total)? If it helps, the infant seat we will be buying is the Chicco Keyfit 30.

Any input / comments would be much appreciated! I searched around but didn't find anything conclusive.

Thanks,
Kev
Old 12-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
what mighty be better is how big are the adults. the width of a car seat is like a lanky young adult. could you fit 3 adults in the back comfortably if the smaller one sits in the middle the answer a flat out NO. Keep in mind the rdx is based loosely on the CRV. The CRV is based off a Civic. try putting 2 adults and car seat in the back of civic sedan. WON'T happen. I hope that helps.

oh and welcome to the site and new baby.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
^OP...No P
Old 12-27-2010, 09:01 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I'll say get the RDX and rent a minivan or extra large SUV for the weekend trip. The RDX is the right size for my family (2 adults + 1 12 year old + occasional passenger). The RDX takes care of us about 99% of the time. The MDX is too much SUV for us as a daily driver for one person for daily commuting. The best you can do in the RDX is:

4 average size adults + overnight bags

or

3 average size adults + car seat + overnight bags + baby stuff

or

3 average size adults and 3-5 days of luggage

or

4 average size adults w/ 3-5 days of luggage + roof basket
Old 12-27-2010, 11:18 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
Take the car seat to the dealer. Take the stroller and whatever else you carry around. Put them in the car and test drive. Drive your commute. Drive on roads you use daily. Go to the mall and try parking. Do some backing up. Turn around on a narrow street. Take turns and drive for at least an hour.

ps, Don't drive the dealership "loop".
Old 12-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I'll say get the RDX and rent a minivan or extra large SUV for the weekend trip. The RDX is the right size for my family (2 adults + 1 12 year old + occasional passenger). The RDX takes care of us about 99% of the time. The MDX is too much SUV for us as a daily driver for one person for daily commuting. The best you can do in the RDX is:

or

or

or

Old 12-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't do it very often...and I am probably the biggest loudmouth around here about the perfectly adequate family space in the RDX. We did it when we had just our oldest and our parents were in town, but neither of our families are particularly large people.

The big question is how often you plan to do it. By then way, once the second kid comes along--don't kid yourself into thinking the third row of an SUV like an MDX is useful when you have car seats installed. If you think you are going to get to the point that you have 4 adults and 2 kids all the time--buy a van or one of the gigantic GM crossovers that have captain's chairs and middle pass in the second row.

Us? We just take two cars. I would much rather do that than settle for inferior day to day driving or spend $$$$ for the three or four times a year we would use it.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:21 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35

or

or

or

x2

I had the RDX and the MDX as a loaner for a few times. It's my assessment as well.

A SUV that slots between the MDX and the RDX would be nearly perfect
Old 12-27-2010, 07:06 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by kp_nuts
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum!!

My wife and I are seriously considering the 2011 RDX AWD with Tech as our next car, just in time for our first baby!! So had a BIG question please:

Does a rear-facing infant car seat fit well in the middle rear seat with space for 2 adults on either side (i.e. 4 adults + 1 infant car seat in total)? If it helps, the infant seat we will be buying is the Chicco Keyfit 30.

Any input / comments would be much appreciated! I searched around but didn't find anything conclusive.

Thanks,
Kev
The RDX is NOT the car for you. There is no "middle" position for child seats in the back. The middle is slightly left (behind the driver). (IIRC) There are five anchors in the RDX, you couldn't fit three seats if you wanted to.
So, one of the passengers in the back may be comfortable, the other one wont.

that being said, I don't know if using the seatbelt would work.....
Old 12-28-2010, 10:35 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Another option is to wait. I haven't heard when the new RDX will be out? Around 5 to 6 model years seems to be the average for Acura and we are at 5 with the RDX. There is a good chance an all new RDX with more space and power could be available some time next year as an early 2012 model?

Acura seems to be upsizing all of its vehicles with the make overs. I'm thinking the new RDX would be about the same size as the new Highlander (which seats 7 folks).

If 2012 is not all new the most you can expect with the 2012 RDX is maybe 1 or 2 different colors.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks!

Thanks all so much for your inputs!

737 Jock - We definitely took your tip seriously, and took along our car seat to the dealer and tested it out.

Overall, I can't say there is a lot of space for what I described as ideal, but we might be able to make it work given it's for short periods of time. Almost done making my mind up now

Once again thanks all for your replies.

Best,
Kev
Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Banned

Thanks all so much for your inputs!

737 Jock - We definitely took your tip seriously, and took along our car seat to the dealer and tested it out.

Overall, I can't say there is a lot of space for what I described as ideal, but we might be able to make it work given it's for short periods of time. Almost done making my mind up now

Once again thanks all for your replies.

Best,
Kev
So the RDX is your pick?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:54 PM
3rd Gear

PacSurfer: Almost were going for it, but now not quite. Given we were in the market, we tried out the new BMW X3, and really like that too. It's a lot more expensive, so need to think more about it. Aside from that, RDX was the best for sure!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Banned

PacSurfer: Almost were going for it, but now not quite. Given we were in the market, we tried out the new BMW X3, and really like that too. It's a lot more expensive, so need to think more about it. Aside from that, RDX was the best for sure!
You meant Desmond (see sig)... Cool. How did the X3 Drive compared to the RDX? Im curious how the RDX's turbo 4 Compared to the inline 6. Yet doesnt the X3's inline 6 turboed?
Old 01-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd continue looking for something bigger. There is very little room in the RDX for all of the stuff you'll end up hauling when you have the baby. We have a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old and the RDX is basically useless for any trips where we need to pack stuff. Throw in a stroller and pack-n-play and the cargo area is almost full. The RDX is not a kid friendly vehicle.

If you think you'll add another kid is the next couple of years, get a Sienna or Odyssey. Seriously!! They aren't nearly as cool but you will thank yourself later. The power sliding doors are worth their weight in gold.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eilros
I'd continue looking for something bigger. There is very little room in the RDX for all of the stuff you'll end up hauling when you have the baby. We have a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old and the RDX is basically useless for any trips where we need to pack stuff. Throw in a stroller and pack-n-play and the cargo area is almost full. The RDX is not a kid friendly vehicle.

If you think you'll add another kid is the next couple of years, get a Sienna or Odyssey. Seriously!! They aren't nearly as cool but you will thank yourself later. The power sliding doors are worth their weight in gold.
We have a 4 yo and a 2 yo and we have never, ever, ran out of space on a family outing. We even took our Joovy two-kid stroller to San Antonio for a weekend trip and had no issues fitting everything--even with the cargo cover in place. The RDX is our "big" car. Our other vehicle is a Forester XT.

(Our kid specific gear is basically a stroller. Our pack and play never left the house--my mom has a crib and hotels have cribs if you ask--I am glad it was a hand me down and we did not buy it. I can fit a week's worth of both of my kids clothes in one small suitcase. We went to my parents for a week over the holidays, by plane, and took one 26" suitcase and two backpacks. I STILL don't get what the heck you guys pack for your kids. Other than a stroller they take up almost no space for stuff.)
Old 01-07-2011, 03:15 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
(Our kid specific gear is basically a stroller. Our pack and play never left the house--my mom has a crib and hotels have cribs if you ask--I am glad it was a hand me down and we did not buy it. I can fit a week's worth of both of my kids clothes in one small suitcase. We went to my parents for a week over the holidays, by plane, and took one 26" suitcase and two backpacks. I STILL don't get what the heck you guys pack for your kids. Other than a stroller they take up almost no space for stuff.)
I have a one year old. The pack and play is probably the mos compact piece of gear she has, as you said the stroller takes the most room of them all. I take it every time we travel, regardless of the mother in law having a crib and friends offering us their kid's, I like to know that where my daughter sleeps is safe. My mother in law's is a drop side crib, I can see that there are missing screws and it has gone through 4-5 grand kids. Yes, they "made it", but it's a chance I don't want to take with my daughter.
I also have a dog, and that's the real issue; he is 70lb, so he won't be ridding in anyone's lap.
In addition, when you put a car seat in the rear seat you can only "add" one more passenger/seat before you are out of room. What the OP is asking is waaaay too much to ask from the RDX, even if he/she was to add a roof or hitch carrier, at that point you definitely want something roomier and perhaps with a bit more torque (V6)....for probably the same or even less money a Honda Pilot is a great option, three across on the rear seat, plus that extra row in the trunk, V6 with eco option (don't know what's called when 3 cyls shut down) you can probably get just about the same fuel economy than the RDX
Old 01-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
I have a one year old. The pack and play is probably the mos compact piece of gear she has, as you said the stroller takes the most room of them all. I take it every time we travel, regardless of the mother in law having a crib and friends offering us their kid's, I like to know that where my daughter sleeps is safe. My mother in law's is a drop side crib, I can see that there are missing screws and it has gone through 4-5 grand kids. Yes, they "made it", but it's a chance I don't want to take with my daughter.
I also have a dog, and that's the real issue; he is 70lb, so he won't be ridding in anyone's lap.
In addition, when you put a car seat in the rear seat you can only "add" one more passenger/seat before you are out of room. What the OP is asking is waaaay too much to ask from the RDX, even if he/she was to add a roof or hitch carrier, at that point you definitely want something roomier and perhaps with a bit more torque (V6)....for probably the same or even less money a Honda Pilot is a great option, three across on the rear seat, plus that extra row in the trunk, V6 with eco option (don't know what's called when 3 cyls shut down) you can probably get just about the same fuel economy than the RDX
Yep, the four adults and kid thing is too much. Really, I think they need a van. We would skip over three row SUV's to a van if we had a third kid (which is now mechanically impossible )

Two recent experiences:

1. IKEA trip: I got home two twin beds and matresses from IKEA with the hatch closed. IKEA rolls their matresses up in vacuum bags, so it is not as impressive as it sounds are first, but still--one trip and I could have done it in the rain.

2. Toddler beds go bye-bye: My daughter's daycare teacher took our old toddler beds off our hands. Took about 1 minute to load them both in the back of a Nissan Quest, fully assembled with room to spare. If you really need space, stop splitting hairs over which cross-over is best--they all suck compared to a van.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Intermediate

Get MDX

You wouldn't believe how much space kid stuff takes up. We have an RDX and an MDX. With a family, I"d definitely go with the MDX. Consider the fact that you may have more than 1 child, and you may be picking up family from the airport. Not to mention long family road trips in the future. Also, the MDX back seats recline which is a nice thing for your wife who may end up riding in the back seat to attend to your baby.
I love the MDX (smooth, quiet, refined), but it has made me appreciate the RDX much more (sporty, tight).
Old 01-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Metz
You wouldn't believe how much space kid stuff takes up. We have an RDX and an MDX. With a family, I"d definitely go with the MDX. Consider the fact that you may have more than 1 child, and you may be picking up family from the airport. Not to mention long family road trips in the future. Also, the MDX back seats recline which is a nice thing for your wife who may end up riding in the back seat to attend to your baby.
I love the MDX (smooth, quiet, refined), but it has made me appreciate the RDX much more (sporty, tight).
Or even dog (puppy) stuff! We just got a puppy a couple months ago and I couldn't believe how much stuff we had to take with us to my parents' for Christmas. Gates, his crate, toys, all the stuff we needed to pack in the car left no extra space other than for a small suitcase and xmas gifts. The RDX gets small very quickly when you have dogs/kids.