2008 Rdx

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 04:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
From HuggiesHappyBaby

Third Row Safety

Very little is known about the safety of third-row seats because neither the government nor the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety conducts crash tests that gauge how third-row passengers would be affected in a rear collision. This doesn't necessarily mean you should avoid a third row, but keep the following points in mind:

Distance from the rear glass While there are no official guidelines as to how far a third row should be from the rear glass, "it's safe to say that the closer vehicle occupants are to the crush zone, the more likely they are to be injured in a crash," says auto-safety consultant Paul Sheridan. For some context, the Ford Explorer's third bench is about 13 inches from the back glass, while the Buick Rendezvous' is just 8 inches from the back.
Investigate safety features Third rows are often cheated of the safety features afforded to passengers in other parts of the car. Make sure that side curtain air bags and also rollover canopies (if available) extend all the way back to protect third-row passengers. It's crucial that every third-row seating position have a shoulder belt and head restraint -- in the event of a crash the latter will prevent heads from snapping back and crashing through the rear glass.
Rethink rear-facing or side-facing benches Car seats and boosters can only be used in forward-facing vehicle seats. That means that these handy little jump seats can't be used until your child is ready for an adult belt -- usually at about age 8. By that point, he may be too big to squeeze in the back comfortably.
Let the buyer beware.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:47 AM
Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyjumpman23
hm...RDX NEWS.=...none..CRAP!!
hehe
other then possible dual power seats and adjusted softer suspension
now why would you want that...
Old 06-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh, and Ledwinka, I agree with your factor, but
the worse part about buying a lexas/toyota, your required to apply a PACKAGE in order to obtain the car. It's kind of like, why do I need all the certain crap, and pay more, when I just want to configure it the way "I" or "you" like it?
I second that annoyance. Their packages aren't even just a few hundred dollars, they're thousands! You can't get what you want without upping the price by a lot. And what I don't get with BMW, is how expensive they are, and yet they still don't come standard with a CD changer, you only get the single CD player.....WTF is that crap?!
Old 06-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DNPhotography
now why would you want that...
AGREE w/ that DNP!!!
Old 06-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Instructor

2008 Tls?

Originally Posted by White92
08 MDX will come with both Nimbus Gray Metallic and Sterling Gray Metallic. Both will come in either Ebony or Taupe interior colors. They look pretty similar on the 1 inch swatches that we have. Obviously they will look different in person.

The bordeaux is back and is still only available in the Apsen White Pearl and Formal Black.
Would you know what differences are available for the 2008 TLS??
Old 06-18-2007, 02:29 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully, one of us are able to obtain more info on the drop date(official release datE) on the Acura RDX '08 - and changes made...cause as of rite now...
stated as -
more of a ratio of 70:30 (70 being more so true) - that there will auto dim mirror standard, dual power memory seat - and change of external colors.
If they validate it, it would be a proper stance to wait.

Oh and other question would be that -
if they make much of these standards, there would be doubt the price would be raised by much from the base MSRP of '07 correct - say...w/ tech package comes out to be 36,000 - so the '08 would probably be 37,000 (usually raises of mere 500 to a 1000) - like i said, its just a bare estimate.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evoman
Would you know what differences are available for the 2008 TLS??
I don't know. When I know anything on any models, I'll post here. Just keep checking.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Not an Ashtray

Hopefully, one of us are able to obtain more info on the drop date(official release datE) on the Acura RDX '08 - and changes made...cause as of rite now...
stated as -
more of a ratio of 70:30 (70 being more so true) - that there will auto dim mirror standard, dual power memory seat - and change of external colors.
If they validate it, it would be a proper stance to wait.

Oh and other question would be that -
if they make much of these standards, there would be doubt the price would be raised by much from the base MSRP of '07 correct - say...w/ tech package comes out to be 36,000 - so the '08 would probably be 37,000 (usually raises of mere 500 to a 1000) - like i said, its just a bare estimate.
Again, consider Acura/Honda's history: They often add substantial features in a model run without changing the price much. The TSX got dual power memory seat, sat radio, heated outside mirrors, and other features WITHOUT a substantial change in price.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darth62
Again, consider Acura/Honda's history: They often add substantial features in a model run without changing the price much. The TSX got dual power memory seat, sat radio, heated outside mirrors, and other features WITHOUT a substantial change in price.
That was at the MMC, after 2 or 3 years. That won't happen for the RDX until at least 2009.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by creativeguy
That was at the MMC, after 2 or 3 years. That won't happen for the RDX until at least 2009.
No it wasn't, it was for the 2005 model, which was the second year.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

Huh?

The slow sales in my opinion are simply because they went with a boxy look. I see tons of TSX's (sleek design and good price) and MDX's (great body style) on the roads. If they make it a bit more sporty in the front and rear I think they'll be a jump in sales, espeically if the price comes down a bit.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Advanced

When people come in looking at the TSX and TL we talk about how much car you get for your money. There is alot of value in these two models, the RDX on the other hand doesn't have the same value appeal. If it had standard Bluetooth, power passenger seat and memory seats at a little lower price there would be a value story to tell.
In addition it has less overall interior/cargo space than the competition and when someone comes back from test driving an RDX they either love the way it rides and handles or it's just too firm. Don't get me wrong, the RDX is alot of fun to drive and everyone that has purchased one from us absolutely loves it. But these are the reasons that we believe the RDX has not sold well.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VANDY
When people come in looking at the TSX and TL we talk about how much car you get for your money. There is alot of value in these two models, the RDX on the other hand doesn't have the same value appeal. If it had standard Bluetooth, power passenger seat and memory seats at a little lower price there would be a value story to tell.
In addition it has less overall interior/cargo space than the competition and when someone comes back from test driving an RDX they either love the way it rides and handles or it's just too firm. Don't get me wrong, the RDX is alot of fun to drive and everyone that has purchased one from us absolutely loves it. But these are the reasons that we believe the RDX has not sold well.
See, I think it has a great value proposition. It's only real competitor in terms of vehicle type (small sporty entry level luxury crossover) is the BMX X3, and it is significantly more expensive. It has no other competition except out of class vehicles like the CX-7 (not luxury brand) and the RX350 (not sporty, mid-size) and the Land Rover (not sporty, too expensize).

So really, it has no competition. I think the problem is that it is such a narrowly defined vehicle (it took me 6 words to descirbe it). The X3 doesn't exactly fly off the lots, and it is a much more established vehicle from a more established brand. It would sell better if they softened it up and added some luxo features, but I would probably have jumped to the X3 if they had. I do not want to drive a boat around.

Also in terms of cargo space it is right there with the X3. Maybe just a touch smaller, but the back seat feels roomier. It is not supposed to be big. That is what vans are for. What are they comparing it to?

In the end, I think people may be expecting a smaller, cheaper RX350 and are disappointed that it doesn't drive like a lincoln towncar. Sure a few people may turn their nose up at the lack of the power seat, etc. as well, but not too many.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:16 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Well..How bout this..based on comfort.
I know a poster on here was 6'6 and couldnt fit well in the car, and had back problems..i fergot his name..
but I'm 6'1, i sat in it..it seemed fine, but I didn't get to test drive it, So i have very vague clarity.
I moved my seat down and back, and the person behind me still had leg room. I guess when you jump from a regular car to a suv, your view is alot more different.

Any tall people have problems(via back or anything else) or are fine w/ it?

I currently drive a Civic, but its so hard for me to bend down to get in my car sometimes, but then, it was all i could afford.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by brizey
See, I think it has a great value proposition. It's only real competitor in terms of vehicle type (small sporty entry level luxury crossover) is the BMX X3, and it is significantly more expensive. It has no other competition except out of class vehicles like the CX-7 (not luxury brand) and the RX350 (not sporty, mid-size) and the Land Rover (not sporty, too expensize).

So really, it has no competition. I think the problem is that it is such a narrowly defined vehicle (it took me 6 words to descirbe it). The X3 doesn't exactly fly off the lots, and it is a much more established vehicle from a more established brand. It would sell better if they softened it up and added some luxo features, but I would probably have jumped to the X3 if they had. I do not want to drive a boat around.

Also in terms of cargo space it is right there with the X3. Maybe just a touch smaller, but the back seat feels roomier. It is not supposed to be big. That is what vans are for. What are they comparing it to?

In the end, I think people may be expecting a smaller, cheaper RX350 and are disappointed that it doesn't drive like a lincoln towncar. Sure a few people may turn their nose up at the lack of the power seat, etc. as well, but not too many.
Well said, and my thoughts exactly.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:04 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Hope I can get an answer soon, but also not to bust anyone's bubble, the 2008 TSX is officially on the ACURA website now.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:09 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

the carbon grey is still there, but wuh the heck is this??!!
option - mp3 cd player - $551 OPTION?!!!!
isnt' it supposed to be default....wow?!?
Old 06-20-2007, 01:15 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

and itves - tv entertainment system w/ ir remote - which is around 1000+
AIYA

if u goto the MDX - build it - they've removed the Carbon grey - and used NIMBUS grey now.
very interesting.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by creativeguy
As pointed out above, you are simply incorrect. The TSX had major additions in features each year it was in production. Heated mirrors, power passenger seat, lighted controls on the wheels, XM radio, all added after first year WITH no signfiicant increases in price.

The TSX didn't really experience a MMX until the third year of production, and that involved cosmetic changes to the body and a small jump in horsepower.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
option - mp3 cd player - $551 OPTION?!!!!
isnt' it supposed to be default....wow?!?
I think this was the same in 2007 model. Doesn't surprise me, but it would look weird to have the in dash 6cd changer and another cd slot below it for the MP3 CD player. Most people are just going to plug their ipods or other MP3 players in through the aux jack anyway or buy an ipod adapter.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:31 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

It was quite ierd sasair....
but that just seems over-charging...
But anywhoo, seems like the RDX, MDX, RL have the mp3/cd built in..but oh wellz...that's how they make money rite?
Old 06-22-2007, 04:41 PM
TMQ
Pro

what defines luxury

Regarding memory seat and power passenger seat - for the well known luxury brands, it's the number of options available, and for every vehicle, one can have many choices, from performance, to comfort, to audio.

Acura continues to use the one size fits all approach and yeah, and by not having some of the features available, it might save cost but it depletes people of choices. Most other luxury makers differentiate cars by size, thus you can have all the luxury features you want on IS or 3 series, and it can overlap with the bigger brothers in price. And if you want to save money, you can have a bare bone, no leather Lexus or BMW.

If Acura ever wants to seriously compete, to me, they have to offer more choices. You'd think that if Honda/Acura is so good at engineering, can't they figure out a way to package the vehicle so that the optional luxury items can easily be installed at factory? Ultimately, it's bad decision from the management.

RDX should come with a 2WD base model, have softer or sport suspension, and more luxury goods so that it distances itself from the CR-V. You can have a choice with a CR-V, why not the RDX?

Of course, it could all be just the styling of the RDX...
Old 06-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TMQ
Most other luxury makers differentiate cars by size, thus you can have all the luxury features you want on IS or 3 series, and it can overlap with the bigger brothers in price. And if you want to save money, you can have a bare bone, no leather Lexus or BMW. ..
Have you ever actually tried to get a stripped BMW? The dealers never order them for stock, and will want full MSRP to order one for you. They might as well not exist. Trust me, I have tried.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by brizey
Have you ever actually tried to get a stripped BMW? The dealers never order them for stock, and will want full MSRP to order one for you. They might as well not exist. Trust me, I have tried.
I had the same problem with Audi. I looked at and test drove a loaded A4, but just wanted the base model. The sales guy said they don't order those for stock, so I said fine, I'll just have to go somewhere else that does. He said, "Oh, well, we can do it, but we'll have to do it 3 months in advance." I guess no one buys base models.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:40 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 494 Likes on 230 Posts
2008 RDX info from salesman

The local sales guy told me that the only major change for 2008 will be (you guessed it) memory seats! He was also told the auto-dimming mirror would be standard as well, and the entry level RDX would get a few of the tech package features.

Whew! At least there is nothing "big time" to make me want to trade mine in.

BTW - He said they will be out by "the end of the summer"

Of course, you have to take what he says with a grain of salt.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:51 PM
08 RDX CBP/Taupe/Base

Check post # 29 on this thread. XM is new to Canada and so is availability of light interior colours with all exterior colours.Only missing piece-the prices.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:15 AM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

*jumps for joY*
o0o0 @ memory seats n Auto-dim mirror*
but....then again
unless we see it in physical writing, and physically in the car, it's very hard to believe.
*kicks LEG* @ the end of summer?!
Come on....bring the damn 2008 out NOW!!!
thats what i say....*temporary online revolt*
Old 06-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Advanced

*jumps for joY*
o0o0 @ memory seats n Auto-dim mirror*
but....then again
unless we see it in physical writing, and physically in the car, it's very hard to believe.
*kicks LEG* @ the end of summer?!
Come on....bring the damn 2008 out NOW!!!
thats what i say....*temporary online revolt*
Agreed!
Need to purchase the 2008 before my lease runs out in early Aug.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Intermediate

Boy I wish some definitive news on the 08's would come out soon...I'm really ready to take the plunge but just can't do it until I learn of what the 08's will have. If they are supposed to start production in July, then maybe after July 1 we'll start hearing something? I sure hope so...the wait is killing me!
Old 06-27-2007, 10:19 AM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Ehh, couple more days till July, so patience is virtue.
I'm really anxious to get the '08 RDX already.
since I'm skipping on the '07
Old 06-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Here's my guess:
Power passenger seat
Memory Seats
Bluetooth/Handsfree Link
Maybe an autodimming rear view mirror

Some other people suggested a softer ride, but I don't think much is going to change.

These changes are only minor and if you can live without them then just get the 2007 and save some money.

Seriously though Acura wouldn't make drastic changes to a brand new car...only minor.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:41 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

erm...doesnt the RDX already have bluetooth /handsfree link already?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:42 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

and we all stopped guessing along time ago..hehe
Old 06-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
erm...doesnt the RDX already have bluetooth /handsfree link already?
Tech model only.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:08 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

yeah..thats what i just read up...
YAY for tech mode
Old 06-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Advanced

For some $3500 is a lot to give up for the upgrade to the tech model so making bluetooth standard would probably attract more people into buying the base...
Old 06-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Instructor

IMHO anything they add will increase the cost to some degree.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Racer

I'm really curious as how Acura will play this. On the plus side, the CUV market is about to boom and sales in Canada are healthy. On the downside, there will be some potentially great new competitors in the next year (EX35 and Tiguan have my interest) and sales are slow in the U.S.

Will adding one or two extra features really do much to boost sales? I think Acura should be more aggressive and throw in all the extra features (bluetooth on base, auto-dim mirror, memory, power passenger, maybe even slightly softer suspension), take the lead like they did when they introduced the first MDX, and let the others catch up.

Then they can work on fuel economy, adding led-lights, a cargo light, moonroof option, rear-climate control, fixing the center console, etc. for the mid-cycle refresh.

I would also like to see the Transformers movie NOW. So get to it Acura.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boon
I'm really curious as how Acura will play this. On the plus side, the CUV market is about to boom and sales in Canada are healthy. On the downside, there will be some potentially great new competitors in the next year (EX35 and Tiguan have my interest) and sales are slow in the U.S.

Will adding one or two extra features really do much to boost sales? I think Acura should be more aggressive and throw in all the extra features (bluetooth on base, auto-dim mirror, memory, power passenger, maybe even slightly softer suspension), take the lead like they did when they introduced the first MDX, and let the others catch up.

Then they can work on fuel economy, adding led-lights, a cargo light, moonroof option, rear-climate control, fixing the center console, etc. for the mid-cycle refresh.

I would also like to see the Transformers movie NOW. So get to it Acura.
I agree, RDX sales haven't been great (i've only seen a couple around for the past 3 months!) so raising the price wouldn't be a wise move. As mentioned before, the TSX got worthy upgrades without a significant raise in price. They might do the same with the RDX.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Advanced

just ordered my 08 today. will arrive in late Aug.

Quick Reply: 2008 Rdx