2007.RDX Starts fine then Shuts off in a couple of seconds

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 09:46 AM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2007.RDX Starts fine then Shuts off in a couple of seconds

Hello everyone, I just bought a used 2007 RDX with 120k miles for my wife ... Had the windshield replaced and took it to an Acura dealer to have a synthetic oil change and then have a state inspection done... Acura dealership noted the was was in good condition and passed inspection... My wife drove the car home from dealership... When I came home from work I got into the RDX on the driveway to adjust radio sound system... I started the car just fine so I could listen to the settings.. turned the car off then tried turning the car on 30 seconds later and the car turned on, cluster panel lit up but then the engine shut off in approximately 2 seconds...tried this a dozen times, same reaction.. battery looks new cluster lights stay on after engine shuts off.. my wife put 87 on the 1dt fill up but I don't believe regular gas will make a car react like that... I read other threads in these forums where they had the same problem with no follow up as what they did to get it fixed... Some suggestions are MAF sensors and others switched camshaft position sensor to no avail... Might be trying that but wanted to see if anyone has experienced this or familiar with 1st gen RDX immediately shutting off after starting...any help would be appreciated
Old 07-24-2022, 10:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 242 Likes on 211 Posts
Is your anti-theft light blinking by chance, right after it shuts down?
Old 07-25-2022, 10:04 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Is your anti-theft light blinking by chance, right after it shuts down?
Hello TmW... The car has developed an issue since last night where it does start intermittently ..starts then shuts off after a couple of seconds (which is my original problem) OR if it stays on longer than a couple of seconds it stays running (I thought the problem fixed itself when this happened) Now it shuts off 4 out of 5 attempts.. I do not give it any gas for this to happen and to answer your question, when it does shutoff the antitheft light is NOT blinking ...when it does stay running it doesn't seem to shut off (took it a couple of exits and back to see how it reacts to normal driving) the only thing I notice is semi rough idling but no hesitation while accelerating... Thanks for your Reply
Old 07-26-2022, 08:13 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just had a similar problem on my 2007 RDX 148,000 & my fix was replacing the black air intake hose as I had an unnoticeable small split that I couldn’t see until I removed the intake hose.
The following users liked this post:
Dave Bland (07-27-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 10:01 AM
5th Gear

Hello J Cash..UPDATE on the situation.. I drove it to my mechanic that is pretty good with Honda and Acuras.. he noticed in between intermittent starts that the times it did not start ...the green key light was flashing which he explained was the car not recognizing the key ..the times it did started he pointed out the green key light was not flashing and it would be starting when he turned over the key then he would start the car.... He told me that I need a new key and have it programmed ... That would solve the issue... when I called my mobile locksmith guy ..he explained to me that if the car has a problem recognizing the key then it would not have this intermittent issue... He explained that either the cat starts OR it doesn't... He thinks I should check key immobilizer or ecu .etc.. (I really hope that is not the case) the key does look pretty old...can't see the lock/unlock icons anymore .. don't know 9f
Old 07-26-2022, 10:12 AM
5th Gear

.....to continue ( sorry about lengthy post) don't know if getting the old key replaced or maybe changing remote battery would help...Acura dealer is quoting me $185 for a new RDX key... And it's in back order...don't know if there is another way to get this key ..my mobile locksmith guy is charging me $100 to cut and program the key... I think .. my wife took the RDX this morning ...poor girl wants to feel sporty ...loves her ride but I am concerned about fixing this problem...thanks Tmrow and JCash for chiming in
Old 07-26-2022, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 242 Likes on 211 Posts
I would replace the battery before doing anything else. Just make sure to not lose the little transponder that's in there when you open up the fob - they can sometimes drop right out. At least do that much before you start throwing any real money at the problem.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:12 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
I would start with simple things such as battery, loose/damaged battery cables and grounds, fuel pump/relay, vaccum leaks. Other thing you want to look at is transmission range switch. Have you tried starting it in neutral? ECU in our cars don't go bad that easily. Unless they have been tampered with, corroded from flooding, sometimes aftermarket alarms and things also cause these issues. I would suggest downloading the service manual from HERE, and then diagnose the condition using the service manual.

Last edited by deepa1600; 07-26-2022 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 02:57 AM
5th Gear

Hey guys, so after googling the heck out of Green flashing key ... intermittent starting ..etc.. research took me to many Honda owners having similar issues and posting them on you tube.. There I saw a video where a mechanic is trying to solve a similar issue with a customer's 2015 Honda Accord. He explains that the ignition key ring was fitted with a "blingged out" accessory around it ..these studs were causing communication issues with key being recognized correctly.. I remember my girl had bought a sparkly steering wheel cover with matching sparkly cupholder coasters.. I showed her the video and told her .imagine the sparkly studded steering wheel cover was causing interference problems with the key...As She watched the video, she looked at me quietly and explained to me that the studded steering wheel cover not only came with sparkly coasters but a small bedazzled ignition ring bracelet ... ( I never noticed it when sitting on the driver's seat) I ran downstairs to the garage ...and low and behold... Ring key bedazzler was fit on there like it was a special order from Acura! I ripped that razzle bedazzle girl power emblem right off and did a celebratory start... I know this will be it...like how many people bump into this rare bedazzler interference issue with green key flashing... I would like to thank all you guys again for taking your time to try to help me with this one... This was the video that I found :
The following 2 users liked this post by CREMINOLOGY:
DaIll1 (07-27-2022), JCash23 (08-03-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Question: I currently own a 2007 Acura RDX and before starting my engine I preform a lamp test is it normal for the Check Engine light to stay on then briefly flash before turning off? This is before I start the Engine. When I start the engine Check Engine Light is not on. Let me know thanks