1st service

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:37 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st service

So I took my 2010 RDX for its first service maintenance the other day. Standard free oil change/tire rotation. Everything goes smoothly. When it's done the service manager takes me into his office and shuts the door, to give me the 'lowdown'. He goes through how the MID works, what the MID codes mean, what type of maintenance I should expect at what intervals. Great, fine. Near the end of the informational session, he adds 'Now you realize, your RDX is the most expensive car in the Acura line to maintain. You have a performance vehicle with a turbo. Just letting you know for down the road.' Uhh ... sure thing bud <half smiling>. What say you on the Acura forum? Is this BS, just a poor attempt to soften me up for future visits, or is there at least some truth to it? And if there is truth to it (or not) why go out of the way to tell me, when I'd find out eventually anyway. All it accomplished was to make me question the dealer's honesty in the future.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
That sounds a bit weird. I don't understand why he'd go out of his way to pull you aside for a 'private talk' about your maintenance. Sure, the RDX needs synthetic oil, not dino oil like the others (I think the rest take dino), but other than that, I don't really know what he's referring to or why he'd make a big deal out of it.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1 to LuvMyTSX. I mean what the guy said is true but why he had to bring you into his office to tell you "in private" is a little odd.

For me, the sales rep warned me up front that oil changes would be expensive along with everything else. I just worked it into my overall budget on the car.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
At 4 years and 72k miles, I've found the RDX to be the most trouble-free vehicle I've ever had and the easiest to perform DIY maintenance on.

For long service, your turbo needs both high quality oil and coolant. To protect your turbo:

1. Change your oil on schedule and use HTO-06 synthetic. Keep it topped up between changes, if needed.

2. Get some Honda Long Life Coolant Type 2 and keep the overflow tank between the Min and Max lines. (Important because after shutdown coolant is circulated through the turbo by convection.)

Other Fluids:

1. Change your transmission fluid every 40k miles. Use ATF-Z1. Check it once a month.

2. Change your other fluids per the MID. You can also check Power Steering and Brake Reserviors very easily because they are both translucent with Min and Max lines.

There is nothing unique or intensive about RDX maintenance. For the DIYer, it is rather easy and pleasant.

If you don't DIY, you may find that a good independant Honda shop can keep your RDX checked and serviced for much less expense than a dealer. (..and give better advice too. It's clear this Service Advisor was establishing an early expectation of higher cost. The "private talk" was to avoid a public scene if the customer objects. It's all about managed expectations.)

Last edited by XLR8R; 09-17-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:31 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Since we're talking about maintenance, a few questions if you don't mind:

1) Does the RDX have a timing belt, given it has a 4-cylinder engine? As I recall my prior 1G TSX did not have one.
2) Are oil change intervals calculated by the computer, say roughly every 10,000 miles or so depending on driving conditions (like my TL)?
3) I gather the rear differential fluid (for the SH-AWD models) are changed per the MID?
4) How difficult is it to do a DIY oil change on the RDX? Does one need to jack the vehicle?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-20-2010, 04:58 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for the tips XLR8R and others. I didn't know the RDX was the only Acura that took synthetic, plus my last car took synthetic, maybe that's why it surprised me when he went out of his way to remind me of that.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Couple of things with the RDX. As mentioned it uses synthetic oil which does run service costs up a bit. Compared with other current Acuras using the "maintanence minder" system, it calls you back in for oils changes a little sooner than the other models seem to. Other than that it doesn't require more service or more expensive services than other Acuras.

The RDX uses a timing chain not a belt.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by docboy
Since we're talking about maintenance, a few questions if you don't mind:

1) Does the RDX have a timing belt, given it has a 4-cylinder engine? As I recall my prior 1G TSX did not have one.
From what I understand, the K24 (TSX 2.4 cyl) and the K23 (RDX 2.3 turbo) are basically the same engine except the K23 has a 1mm smaller bore on the cylinders and has the turbo attached.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:41 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
From what I understand, the K24 (TSX 2.4 cyl) and the K23 (RDX 2.3 turbo) are basically the same engine except the K23 has a 1mm smaller bore on the cylinders and has the turbo attached.
Thanks for clarifying.

Now that you mentioned the differences between the K24 and K23, imagine if the TSX had the K23 with 6MT. It would be quite a vehicle
Old 09-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

IIRC, the reason we haven't seen a K23 powered TSX is that they would have to go with a hood scoop ala Mitsubishi Evo or Subie STi to fit it in the engine bay. As it currently exists with a top mount intercooler, there just isn't enough room in the TSX engine bay. Personally I'd be fine with a hood scooped TSX but I don't think it quite fits Acura's brand image.

That said a 6MT K23 powered SH-AWD TSX would be an insane vehicle. It would certainly do some serious damage to the A4 sales.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:02 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
not sure about the rest of u, but i barely touch 5k for an oil change. My RDX has been pretty routine at 3-4k. The oil changes are the biggest expense. Everything else is regular stuff.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
the reason for chat is very simple - make customer believe that he has most sophisticated car and that only his dealer is able to maintain it, and that maintenance is extremely important. I am sure he does it to a lot of people with new cars, its a good tactic to make sure you only go to dealer and dont miss any service.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:42 PM
big shot.

but he is in a sense true; the RDX has the most expensive maintenance that will hit u in the pocket. what normally cost 20-45, costs 60-80 on a regular basis. most people do not change their own oil.

for the OP - if you dont want to get your hands dirty but want to save over 200 bucks, change the engine air filter & cabin filter yourself. Together for parts will cost you anywhere from 30+ depending on what brand you buy. engine & cabin, at least at my dealership is over 200. DIY in 10 mins. thats where i feel the savings. an oil/tranny/fluid etc changes are more convenient just to have the shop do it. dont mind paying.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Couple of things with the RDX. As mentioned it uses synthetic oil which does run service costs up a bit. Compared with other current Acuras using the "maintanence minder" system, it calls you back in for oils changes a little sooner than the other models seem to. Other than that it doesn't require more service or more expensive services than other Acuras.

The RDX uses a timing chain not a belt.
Originally Posted by MMike1981
not sure about the rest of u, but i barely touch 5k for an oil change. My RDX has been pretty routine at 3-4k. The oil changes are the biggest expense. Everything else is regular stuff.
That's what I was refering to. I have TL and TSX and MDX customers call me saying they have 7000 miles on the car and the oil life is at 25% and asking if they can come in for an oil change. So the oil changes are 2-3x more expensive and they seem to occur about 2x as often.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have always changed my TSX's oil every 5k miles anyway, so if the RDX requests the same, then it won't be anything different for me. Synthetic oil is the difference. Actually, my 04 TSX doesn't have an MID, so all of this MID stuff is new to me.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Suzuka Master

I dont find RDX to be expensive to maintain at all. Its about an average maintenance cost you will pay on a luxury that costs $30K. The only thing that makes it more expensive is the use of synthetic oil, which you can buy in walmart and bring to dealership to install, so the oil change will cost you $50 instead of $30. No big deal.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:16 PM
big shot.

not really. I get my girls 2010 TSX oil change for around 30 bucks at the dealer WITHOUT a coupon. The RDX is triple that around 80 (and Acura coupons always exclude the RDX). Id consider them both to be '30k near luxury cars'. So no, the RDX is not really what you 'expect' to spend on an oil change. Most people dont stop at walmart and bring the oil to the dealer. I dont question the tactic but thats just another thing that goes on my todo list and obviates the function of going to the oil change place and them taking care of it. Also, i have not gotten a quote under 60 bucks in RI/MA/CT either from a Honda dealer or a stop-in oil change place. Thus, at the very least, even if you consider buying your own oil (and spending more time/travel to do so), the RDX, at the least, is double the cost of a comparable model (TSX/TL) every time you pull in for an oil change. Add to that, the mileage for oil changes might be close to 1/2 of what the rest of Acuras line up is (like Blacklabel stated). For those that dont have local walmarts or places that you can swing in and buy the specific oil it doest make any sense to take a drive to pick it up, then drive all the way to the dealer/shop. 1-2 hrs of my time to go buy the crap, then wait for the oil change is worth an extra 20 bucks for someone to provide me with the product. And, Im not pissing the dealer off and looking like an a-hole when i bring them Mobil 1. Sort of like showing up to a restaurant with your own food but having them serve it to you. no thanks. not that type of guy.

Im not taking issue with the cost of the oil changes, frankly i dont find it to be an issue, but to not beat around the bush, the RDX is at least double or more than any other Acura sold for oil change maintenence. (i dont know what the ZDX oil change cost is). If going on dealer prices, its basically triple that of a TSX change.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't stop at walmart all the times, I bought 5x5qt jugs once they had a sale, its sitting in my garage. So I just grab one when go to dealer. They charge me $20 for labor and using Honda filter, total cost is $40. I do also my own oil changes, but lately getting lazy to get dirty. So I have 4 oil changes in 1 year, maybe I am paying $40-50 more vs regular oil
Old 09-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

ZDX has the same motor as the MDX and neither require synthetic so the oil change cost should be the same.

I'd be pretty confident in saying that not all service departments would allow you to bring your own oil.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Suzuka Master

I'd be pretty confident in saying that not all service departments would allow you to bring your own oil.
I'd be pretty confident to say that almost ALL dealerships (I have yet to see one that said NO) to when you bring your own oil. They still make $20 on labor and filter.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Oil in RDX is full synthetic, which can last at least 15000 miles. This car has Turbo on it, so it can only last 4000 miles? This looks weired.
This will cause maintance fee higher than other cars. Dealer usually charge >$100 for full synthetic oil change. I don't think any dealer allow you to bring you own oil from Walmart.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Suzuka Master

instead of "I don't think", try bringing it in. Don't worry, if you bring your own oil they raise prices so they still make profit.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Instructor

My BMW 528i usually change oil each 15000 miles with full synthetic. I don't like RDX that needs to do it each 4000 miles, that not only means more expensive, but also a lot of time (to dealer or diy)
Old 09-22-2010, 01:46 PM
8th Gear

Mine went at 5k, and yes I was a little surprised about that, seeing how I averaged 8-10k on my old bimmer. So much for the hidden bonus of less oil changes for having a full synthetic. That is a bummer, but still happy with the purchase.

That does seem odd to me that the norm seems to be 5k or less for everyone here. Anyone know of any other full synthetic cars that require this many oil changes? Anyone ignore the MID and try to push it further?

Old 09-22-2010, 02:28 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by russianDude
instead of "I don't think", try bringing it in. Don't worry, if you bring your own oil they raise prices so they still make profit.
but worry after the fact when u leave and everyone in service collectively goes CAN U BELIEVE THAT FUCKIN GUY!!! lol good way to be known around your dealer, the oil man
Old 09-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Instructor

I think the difference between bmw and RDX is the turbo. Does turbo cause oil time so short? I think acura maybe did wrong estimation and let us waste oil.

Originally Posted by jkuras
Mine went at 5k, and yes I was a little surprised about that, seeing how I averaged 8-10k on my old bimmer. So much for the hidden bonus of less oil changes for having a full synthetic. That is a bummer, but still happy with the purchase.

That does seem odd to me that the norm seems to be 5k or less for everyone here. Anyone know of any other full synthetic cars that require this many oil changes? Anyone ignore the MID and try to push it further?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Suzuka Master

but worry after the fact when u leave and everyone in service collectively goes CAN U BELIEVE THAT FUCKIN GUY!!! lol good way to be known around your dealer, the oil man
Deep inside they would have done the same when you can save $40-50. Maybe they should think about selling oil at more reasonable prices. Fine, they cant be wallmart, but but why does 5qt at the dealer cost $60-70.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:56 PM
big shot.

its service. its a service industry. its provided for you. just the same reason u should pay 20 percent to your waiter/waitress. Consider the 10-20 bucks u throw the dealer the cost of doing business. someones gotta make some money. if not, thats why there are people such as yourself that do it on their own, forgo the service fee, and use their own time and resources to do it.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Suzuka Master

ok, do what you want, pay extra to avoid uncomfortable feeling or whatever weirdness you experience. I don't give a rats ass what they feel or think. I've purchased couple of Acuras from this dealer, and spent considerable money on some other maintenance items and repair. I don't feel ashamed to save money, besides, I can guarantee you that they are still happy to do the work because its still profitable, especially when I sometimes add other items such as tranny oil change or rotate tire.

Perhaps if I only do oil change its not very profitable, but how much profit do they make for the advertised $29.99 regular oil change if they charge me $22 when they use MY oil.

Do you think they can make a big profit on selling you regular oil for $8??? In reality, they charge you more when you bring your own oil to recoup lost profit. Don't worry about your dealer not making enough profit ..
Old 09-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Instructor

How much does a dealer normally charge for synthetic oil change?

ok, do what you want, pay extra to avoid uncomfortable feeling or whatever weirdness you experience. I don't give a rats ass what they feel or think. I've purchased couple of Acuras from this dealer, and spent considerable money on some other maintenance items and repair. I don't feel ashamed to save money, besides, I can guarantee you that they are still happy to do the work because its still profitable, especially when I sometimes add other items such as tranny oil change or rotate tire.

Perhaps if I only do oil change its not very profitable, but how much profit do they make for the advertised $29.99 regular oil change if they charge me $22 when they use MY oil.

Do you think they can make a big profit on selling you regular oil for $8??? In reality, they charge you more when you bring your own oil to recoup lost profit. Don't worry about your dealer not making enough profit ..
Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 PM
big shot.

i woudl die laughing if i saw anyone walk in qith a 5qt jug of oil to ANY dealer service shop. Especially at what is supposed to be a 'luxury' car dealer . HAHAHHAHAHHAHAH
wow
Old 09-22-2010, 10:55 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by truelies
how much does a dealer normally charge for synthetic oil change?
70-80.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:56 PM
big shot.

nothing liek the guy bringing his car thru the car wash and spraying his wheels up with his own 'wheel bright' before he goes thru

o man i could have so much fun in this thread im holding back big time
Old 09-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Well, I DIY and my RDX has never seen the dealer's shop floor. But I get flyers in the mail enticing me, practically begging me to bring it in for service. Everybody is dying out there.

I have occasionally heard of people bringing in their own oil to the dealer. The salient point is that if the dealer agrees to use your oil, then they have made a contract with you and have no call to a grievance -- you should be a valued customer. They are scrambling for a buck just like everyone else and some revenue is a whole lot better than none, should you take your oil change elsewhere. In that regard, the DIYer is a greater threat than the guy who brings in his WalMart jug.

Has a dealer ever been embarrassed to publish some crazy, shouting ad about the sale that "positively ends tommorrow"? They seem to do it every weekend. It's their job to increase business and profit.

We in turn, should never be reluctant to drive prices down -- that is our job as consumers.

Last edited by XLR8R; 09-22-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Maybe DIY is easier for this car. I am wondering the RDX even doesn't need to jack up for oil change. Looks like the space is enough to lie under it. Anybody confirm this?

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Well, I DIY and my RDX has never seen the dealer's shop floor. But I get flyers in the mail enticing me, practically begging me to bring it in for service. Everybody is dying out there.

I have occasionally heard of people bringing in their own oil to the dealer. The salient point is that if the dealer agrees to use your oil, then they have made a contract with you and have no call to a grievance -- you should be a valued customer. They are scrambling for a buck just like everyone else and some revenue is a whole lot better than none, should you take your oil change elsewhere. In that regard, the DIYer is a greater threat than the guy who brings in his WalMart jug.

Has a dealer ever been embarrassed to publish some crazy, shouting ad about the sale that "positively ends tommorrow"? They seem to do it every weekend. It's their job to increase business and profit.

We in turn, should never be reluctant to drive prices down -- that is our job as consumers.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:28 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
i woudl die laughing if i saw anyone walk in qith a 5qt jug of oil to ANY dealer service shop. Especially at what is supposed to be a 'luxury' car dealer . HAHAHHAHAHHAHAH
wow
Back when I lived in a condo (ie, couldn't DIY since I had no garage) I brought my own oil to the dealer all the time for my S2000. I wanted to use synthetic (Mobil 1) and the only way to do that was bring my own. No one even raised an eyebrow, I'd just say "the oil I want is on the passenger seat" and they'd say "okay, we'll take that off your bill."
Old 09-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

just for the record, no one "walks in" with a jug of oil. You simply keep it on your passenger side floor. So you walk in to do a paper work, and when they ask you: "you are here for oil change?" you go "yep, and can you please use the oil I have on front passenger's floor?" They go: "yep, no problem". They answer it so quickly, like they get this all the times. they dont go like "uh, let me see, I donn know..."
And the cheapest my dealer charges for Mobil1 is $80, most of the time they want $90 plus tax. Quick $50 in my pocket is significant, if its not for you, they by all means have dealer put their own oil
Old 09-23-2010, 08:19 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
Back when I lived in a condo (ie, couldn't DIY since I had no garage) I brought my own oil to the dealer all the time for my S2000. I wanted to use synthetic (Mobil 1) and the only way to do that was bring my own. No one even raised an eyebrow, I'd just say "the oil I want is on the passenger seat" and they'd say "okay, we'll take that off your bill."
well thats an entirely different scenario isnt it, its another thing to bring them something they dont have. who could argue that
Old 09-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Cruisin'

After Taxes and enviromental fees it came out to $135 for me in Canada. A1 service, big rip-off.

just for the record, no one "walks in" with a jug of oil. You simply keep it on your passenger side floor. So you walk in to do a paper work, and when they ask you: "you are here for oil change?" you go "yep, and can you please use the oil I have on front passenger's floor?" They go: "yep, no problem". They answer it so quickly, like they get this all the times. they dont go like "uh, let me see, I donn know..."
And the cheapest my dealer charges for Mobil1 is $80, most of the time they want $90 plus tax. Quick $50 in my pocket is significant, if its not for you, they by all means have dealer put their own oil
Old 09-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zozobar
After Taxes and enviromental fees it came out to $135 for me in Canada. A1 service, big rip-off.
$135 for oil and filter change only? or did you include the "1" service = tire rotation? it's more like 195 in toronto after taxes for a complete A1...

Quick Reply: 1st service