07 rdx tech package after market radio install

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 04:37 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 rdx tech package after market radio install

Ok everyone im in need of help. Ive been installing audio for 15 years. This will by far be the most difficult install ive ever done from the way it looks. Im wanting to know has anyone ever done an aftermarket install on one. If so i woukd appreciate the advice of how you did it. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
rdx2k8 (09-30-2018)
Old 05-02-2017, 12:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sfent
Ok everyone I'm in need of help. I've been installing audio for 15 years. This will by far be the most difficult install I've ever done from the way it looks. I'm wanting to know has anyone ever done an aftermarket install on one. If so I would appreciate the advice of how you did it. Thanks
Send pictures and links of what you bought when you do it. I have been wanting to do one too. The issue that holds me back is the center climate control screen. I have the non-tech and everything goes through that center console.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:44 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-...em-rdx-682835/
Old 06-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sfent
Ok everyone im in need of help. Ive been installing audio for 15 years. This will by far be the most difficult install ive ever done from the way it looks. Im wanting to know has anyone ever done an aftermarket install on one. If so i woukd appreciate the advice of how you did it. Thanks

Well i believe i have everything figured out. Its gping to have all aftermarket skar audio amps and speakers along with 4 8 inch audiopipe bd3 subwoofers. I may decide to go with 3 10in bd3 or bd4 audiopipes. Im not sure on that yet. What i need to figure out os if i pull the factory radio will the screen stop working. Because if its going to stoo working im going to just remove it and put a deck in that has apple car play and android auto. If i do that will it affect anything else if this is the case. Im going to relocate a single din aftermarket deck into the center console, and leave the facory screen and deck in its respective place.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:56 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mods i apologize for the 2nd reg i didnt remember o alrrady jad an account until i found my post my appologies.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:39 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have the tech package? For the tech package if you remove the radio at the bottom the screen will still work but only the nav will work because the navigation unit is a separate unit. What I did is use a high to lo (lc7i audiocontrol) and tap into the factory amp wires. The stock factory amp is located directly under the oem radio in the bottom. I tapped into the speaker wires and ran my rca's to the high to low. I do not have any problems so far. I have swapped out all of the door speakers with Rockford 6.5 and have them on a 4ch 600 Rockford amp. Also 2 alpine type r's running on 1500w amp which will be swapped out for 2 Sa12's sundown subs. I will upgrade the amp to probably 3000w. I also have 2 xs power battery in the spare. Haven't had a chance to make a clean amp rack but when I get a chance I will post pics. As for the climate controls I have no idea if you will lose access to that. But if you want to relocate the stock radio, if you remove the radio there is actually space where you can put the radio on the bottom r even next to the nav unit.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:36 AM
9th Gear

Kevin, You run through the factory amp, and then step it back down to line level? Why not grab the signals before the factory amp?
Old 11-03-2017, 07:09 PM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mslate
Kevin, You run through the factory amp, and then step it back down to line level? Why not grab the signals before the factory amp?
I think that's because the wiring used by the factory from radio to amp isn't conventional. System muting for phone etc could also pose probs.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:09 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wspy
I think that's because the wiring used by the factory from radio to amp isn't conventional. System muting for phone etc could also pose probs.
^^ this. I tried to grab the signal before it entering the amp and it introduce a lot of unwanted noises. If you use a pink noise meter you will see a lot of distortion no matter how low you adjust the volume. I am honestly going to just bypass the radio later on and integrate a tablet for the radio. Remember you have the xm radio, the regular fm and am and navigation going into the stock radio. Plus I'm pretty sure the climate controls feed onto the stock radio but i am not 100% sure
Old 11-28-2017, 05:39 AM
9th Gear

How did you go about grabbing the signal before the factory amp? I'm curious because that is my plan at this point. If that is not an option I will just replace it all with an aftermarket head unit and be done with it.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:46 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
you can tap into the speaker wires individually before the amp. all the speaker wires are located on the first wire harness connector. I have the color coding information for the speakers if you need it.
The following users liked this post:
rdx2k8 (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 08:27 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Lc46em
you can tap into the speaker wires individually before the amp. all the speaker wires are located on the first wire harness connector. I have the color coding information for the speakers if you need it.
You are a god. Just found your YouTube videos showing your work. I got my 08 in March of this year & the obsolete tech screen is killing me. I can't stand old tech that has no purpose other than tuning the sound on the blown stock speakers & serving as the backup cam screen. Definitely not using it for nav or the radio, since we have smartphones for nav & the secondary screen shows the radio station. I leave the big screen off 24/7.

I haven't watched all the videos pertaining to your install yet, but am interested in that wiring guide & any more information regarding replacing the speakers. I also have a Kicker L5 sub box & 300w amp from a previous vehicle to integrate. I'd probably go with a double din with CarPlay (unless Waze isn't in there yet - or wait until it is).

I've never done an install but am willing to figure it out no matter how long it takes since I'll be hanging onto this vehicle for a few more years since it's only at 70k.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:15 AM
9th Gear

Do you have a link to the YouTube videos?
Waze is in CarPlay now with the latest OS update.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:42 PM
CSmoney28

Received 175 Likes on 153 Posts
Ditto, on the links...
Old 10-07-2018, 09:57 AM
2nd Gear

Pretty sure this is our guy! The vids showing the double din are a couple weeks back & beyond https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIT...HHyDF6joticiHQ
Old 10-07-2018, 12:57 PM
CSmoney28

Received 175 Likes on 153 Posts
Thanks!