Whats wrong with our EGR's

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Bagel Bomber

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Whats wrong with our EGR's

Since our search mode wont let me search EGR, whats the problem that we all seem to have?? Clogged or insufficient lift?? thows a CEL code Whats the fix.

1998 3.0
Old 10-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theres a service bullitin on the emissions covered for 80k miles.. see if you qualify.. if not.. dont replace the egr valve itself (the dealer will tell you its bad) if it was bad it would have a code for improper egr valve operation. you have to remove the upper intake manifold and drill out the carbon in the egr hole which is pretty close towards the throttle body... its bout 1/2 as thick as a pencil and is only bout 3" deep. you dont have to replace the gasket if you dont want to.. but make sure you put rags into the intake runners (theres 6) so nothing goes into the heads. its really not that hard. you can leave the throttle body on too. i think enough people have this problem that i might take mine apart just to show where this port is and do a diy.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Safety Car

the actual work takes maybee 45 minutes.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Bagel Bomber

thanks for the reply, If you pull off the entire intake manifold, will you have to replace the intake manifold gasket? I've had this problem for a year now, i'm over 80k so i know i dont qualify. This is something seafoam wont fix right??
Old 10-07-2005, 12:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
nope, but read above, and wilp99, please, please do the DIY!
Old 10-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Bagel Bomber

anyone able to find the service diagram or a write up??
Old 10-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Bagel Bomber

Anyone drilled their's out recently, how?
Old 03-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Bagel Bomber

alright, hate to bump this up top, but since its spring its time to start fixing the car up. I'm up to 120k, so i cant have acura service the egr flow problem under the recall.

Has anyone done this and can offer some instructions or help?

Wilp99, you haven't had a chance to write up a DIY on this have you (Anyone??)
Old 03-31-2006, 02:02 PM
Safety Car

i never got around to doin a diy. maybee in about 50k ill do one on my tl-s. i did do it on prescious and it worked great. no need to replace the egr valve. i think someone already did a diy with pics before.. maybee it was on www.v6p.net sorry i cant be more help.. just get the service manual and do it yourself. it only takes bout 1.5 hours. start to finish. make sure to get a new upper intake manifold gasket, its the same one for the accord v6 just incase acura dont have one.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:39 AM
Bagel Bomber

thanks, i'll have a look around on there. Should anyone else happen to have a link saved it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Bagel Bomber

http://www.98exl.com/tsb/CG/99-085%2...20Clogging.pdf

is this what you were talking about?

does this look right? Looks more indepth than I thought it would be, but not impossible. They show the usage of special drill bit. Is it nessessary to purchase this bit. I think it comes in a "Kit". Is this a required kit to get and what comes in it exactly.

Majestic (hondaautomotivepart.com)
Egr kit $68
Tool kit $55

I don’t know if I should get the tool kit?

also, his looked very helpful.

http://www.bwimports.org/forums/showthread.php?t=900
Old 04-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Bagel Bomber

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=65407

anyone have a copy of the directions they are discussing on this thread? are they the same as the pdf file i posted above?

apparently the egr kit comes with:

1-sleeve to slide in, after you drill the new bigger hole
2-gasket which you replace the old one where the throttle connects to the manifold
3-a EGR filter, which you just remove 2 bolts to replace.

but can we just use a 3/8 inch drill bit ?
Old 04-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Safety Car

you dont need that sleeve.. once the carbon is gone it will take another 80k miles to clog back up again. 3/8" drill bit would be too big i think. thats closer to 10mm. if you have a standard bit set use the two sizes smaller. you can get a single (8mm) drill bit for like 2$ at autozone. im sure you dont need the special bit. i used a tubular type wire brush. never got the light again.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Bagel Bomber

whats the wire brush for?? I doubt the EGR actually failed, correct? Now that i have the Service bulletin this shouldn't be as hard as it was made out to be. Thanks
Old 04-20-2006, 03:12 PM
3rd Gear

EGR Recall

I just called my dealer and they said the extended warranty on the 97 3.0CL is 150K. I have an appt to get it fixed tomorrow. Will send update afterwards.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Bagel Bomber

just finished this...will post a diy later 15 bucks.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:20 PM
3rd Gear

Smile Egr Recall

Went to an Acura dealership and they replaced my EGR for FREE plus did an Emissions tune-up FREE. For these cars, there should be a warranty for up to 150,000 miles. They told me 95% of the time when the Check engine light comes on, it is covered under the warranty.
I suggest calling and letting them know that you KNOW it is supposed to be covered!
Old 05-03-2006, 09:21 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jessiocean
I just called my dealer and they said the extended warranty on the 97 3.0CL is 150K. I have an appt to get it fixed tomorrow. Will send update afterwards.
IT IS 150K!!!!
Old 05-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Bagel Bomber

150k only applies to 97's other wise its 80k for some reason.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Master of the Commode

-- Dumb Question Alert--

I did not buy my 1997 2.2CL from the dealer (I am it's second owner, bought from a private party). Thus, I never purchased any "extended warranty".

But, since this seems to be such a prevalent problem (this EGR thing), should I have any expectation of a dealer fixing this stupid thing gratis (for free)?

Has anyone pulled-off a similar scenario? If so, any tips?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Bagel Bomber

No its a factory recall, doesn't matter how many owners or how you baught it.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mach30SiR
No its a factory recall, doesn't matter how many owners or how you baught it.
Just call up Acura customer service, and have your VIN ready
Old 05-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Master of the Commode

Talking

Originally Posted by saiko_cl_duck
Just call up Acura customer service, and have your VIN ready
Well, it appears that your assesment might be shared by a local dealer (Continental Acura in Naperville, IL).

I got the impression that they weren't terribly thrilled to receive my call (though, really, why would they be?), but I will be dropping the car off tomorrow night and I would assume from what I read in the Service Bulletin re: this problem, it ought to be a one-day turnaround ... and, best of all, be free!!!!

Now ... my guess is that the car is running a little rough because the coking-up of the line is starting to force more fumes into fewer cyllinders. Thus, I would think it logical to think that the rough running will disappear, along with the damned CEL and it's orange hue mocking me as I drive in the night!

Anyone agree with that assessment? Disagree? Care?!?

I shall keep you posted ... as with my other post(s), I'll take it through to the end just in case some other poor soul has a similar problem and happens upon a thread I started.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Bagel Bomber

this will prolly not fix your roughness, didn't fix mine.

Should only take 2 hours tops for them to do.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Master of the Commode

Originally Posted by Mach30SiR
this will prolly not fix your roughness, didn't fix mine.

Should only take 2 hours tops for them to do.
Well, sh*t!

The roughness in my car is very little, and only has presented in the last day (I have a whole other thread going about this EGR debacle), so I am still going to hold out hope that the problems are interrelated.

However, if I might inquire, what is your tale about the car running rough?
Old 05-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Safety Car

have them look for carbon in the intake ports. if they clog up it will make it run rough.

wwoooo hoooo.. wil owns page 2
Old 05-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Master of the Commode

I was due for a break ... I think I got it!

As expected, the EGR deal was under some recall or warranty or whatever. Further, if I understood everything, the misfiring problem was portrayed as the following:

- Not anything to do w/ the EGR
- Not something that's currently covered, but will/would be soon

So, they fixed both problems @ $0.00 (The Price is Right!).

On the invoice, the listed it as "75k-150k Mile Emissions Tune-Up".

I had the following codes showing up: P0401 (knew that one all too well), P0171, P0302, and P0304.

So, whatever the case may be, all I know is that I'm driving around w/out the hated CEL mocking me, and it was done @ the right price by what I perceive as a pretty decent outfit (Continental Acura of Naperville, IL).

Barely-funny epilogue .... they give you a CD of the head technician explaining what they do to your car; I hadn't been there in so long that the last time I was there they were using tapes. Anyway, I pop the CD in, and this cat starts rambling on about how they had repaired the problem I had brought it in for - a leaking gas tank. Oops ... wrong customer! Oh well ... hope the guy w/ the gas tank wasn't confused badly by my CD he received.

Thanks much to "saiko_cl_duck" & "Mach30SiR" for their timely input in saving me who-knows-how-much by taking it to someone and paying for all of this!
Old 05-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Bagel Bomber

Congrats.

I cleaned out my port and reset the ecu. Everything was fine (500-600 miles) until the CEL came on again. I'll have to pull the code and see if its related. If so, looks like i'm taking the manifold off again.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Matt

Originally Posted by arsouders
I was due for a break ... I think I got it!

As expected, the EGR deal was under some recall or warranty or whatever. Further, if I understood everything, the misfiring problem was portrayed as the following:

- Not anything to do w/ the EGR
- Not something that's currently covered, but will/would be soon

So, they fixed both problems @ $0.00 (The Price is Right!).

On the invoice, the listed it as "75k-150k Mile Emissions Tune-Up".

I had the following codes showing up: P0401 (knew that one all too well), P0171, P0302, and P0304.

So, whatever the case may be, all I know is that I'm driving around w/out the hated CEL mocking me, and it was done @ the right price by what I perceive as a pretty decent outfit (Continental Acura of Naperville, IL).

Barely-funny epilogue .... they give you a CD of the head technician explaining what they do to your car; I hadn't been there in so long that the last time I was there they were using tapes. Anyway, I pop the CD in, and this cat starts rambling on about how they had repaired the problem I had brought it in for - a leaking gas tank. Oops ... wrong customer! Oh well ... hope the guy w/ the gas tank wasn't confused badly by my CD he received.

Thanks much to "saiko_cl_duck" & "Mach30SiR" for their timely input in saving me who-knows-how-much by taking it to someone and paying for all of this!
Arsouders, what exactly is covered in the 75 - 150 tune up ??? I have 152,000 and have had a clogged EGR valve for a year now. I took it to a local shop and they cleaned it out and flushed the intake manifold for about $85, but Im still getting the p1491 and the p0302 error codes. I have changed all plugs and wires as well as cap and rotor. Where is Naperville IL? Im in STL and the ACK dealers are dicks out here!!! Does it run nice after the tune up, and have the error codes come back?
Old 05-24-2006, 12:27 PM
HelpHelpImBeingRepressed!

Hello! I am new to this so if my question should be redirected somewhere else please let me know!!

I bought a 97 CL 3.0 with 168000 miles on it yesterday! Drove great and carfax report checked out great!

Took it to an Acura dealer this AM because of check engine light and to have oil/filters changed. They said :
ERG valve needs replaced $$$
ERG port " " " " $$$ and or cleaned

does anyone have any info on how to see if the recalls cover "new"owners, regardless of miles? and how to contact or get information on acura recalls that WERE NOT issued by the NHTSA??

Thanks soo much in advance for any advise or help with this!!
Old 05-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Bagel Bomber

your both out of luck, 150k was for 97's. I cleaned out my port my self a few weeks ago, the CEL was off for a few hundred hours and then came back on, i'm going to pull the code tonite and see what it flashes.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Master of the Commode

Cool

Originally Posted by STL+3.0CL
Arsouders, what exactly is covered in the 75 - 150 tune up ??? I have 152,000 and have had a clogged EGR valve for a year now. I took it to a local shop and they cleaned it out and flushed the intake manifold for about $85, but Im still getting the p1491 and the p0302 error codes. I have changed all plugs and wires as well as cap and rotor. Where is Naperville IL? Im in STL and the ACK dealers are dicks out here!!! Does it run nice after the tune up, and have the error codes come back?
So far (knock on wood), I haven't had any of the problems that I was facing prior to taking it to the shop (link to map to the exact place @ end of message, btw).

You ask me what was covered .... other than what I wrote about a few posts above, I don't know how else to portray it (I'm a car dope).

Why was it covered? I don't really know for sure. I did, over the phone, do my best to (NICELY) portray myself as someone who knew a great deal about what was wrong. I even left a printout in the passenger seat when I dropped it off that was reminiscent of the problem w/ the EGR (though, I had to laugh to myself because the printout was for a "1998" problem!).

Also, it does seem that the dealership was genuinely friendly. To that end, I got the impression that the problem they fixed besides the EGR problem was something that wasn't officially yet a factory defect - or that it wasn't "time" for that problem to be fixed - but they did it anyway. I made sure to mention on several occasions that, in essence, being treated well would in turn make me a return customer (and despite the somewhat inconvenient distance, it might well make me one).

So, unfortunately for thee, I'm only able to bring vague questions and sketchy reports to the table. I can try to dig up the ppwk when I get home and transcribe what it says. Hopefully, that might be more beneficial than my ramblings here.

That said, as promised, here's a map to the joint I took my car to - Continental Acura in Naperville, IL.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.042915&om=1
Old 09-28-2006, 07:20 AM
1st Gear

Just performed the EGR port cleaning last night

Hi all,

First post here. I want to thank everyone on this board and this thread in particular for the info on the EGR valve lift problem. I've had the engine light on my 98 CL 3.0 (146,000) on for about a year but now the state of CT wants me to get my emmisions done. So I followed the PDF instructions (excluding step 5 because I don't have a parts washer at home) last night and everything looks good! Acura quoted me $350 to do the work so I saved that much for something that only took me about 50 minutes at home. And I think I even feel a performance boost and I hope to see a difference in my mileage too.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 09-28-2006, 08:20 AM
Bagel Bomber

Originally Posted by npbassman
Hi all,

First post here. I want to thank everyone on this board and this thread in particular for the info on the EGR valve lift problem. I've had the engine light on my 98 CL 3.0 (146,000) on for about a year but now the state of CT wants me to get my emmisions done. So I followed the PDF instructions (excluding step 5 because I don't have a parts washer at home) last night and everything looks good! Acura quoted me $350 to do the work so I saved that much for something that only took me about 50 minutes at home. And I think I even feel a performance boost and I hope to see a difference in my mileage too.

Thanks,

Mike

Congrats Mike - when i first heard about this problem i thought the task was daunting. After doing it, i wondered why i didn't try it earlier. You very well could be feeling a performance difference. When the CEL is on the car is in a limp mode ( retarded timeing, increased fuel burn ect....). After emissions give your self a seafoam application and she should REALLY smooth out. My CEL kept comming on after the cleaning even after numerous resets. But one day it just went off and hasn't come on again since so i'm pretty happy about that.

Also Welcome to the board
Old 09-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Suzuka Master

arsouders, no problem, that's what we're here for!

npbassman, welcome to fold!
Old 10-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Are the 98 2.3's covered in that service bullitin?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
Are the 98 2.3's covered in that service bullitin?
call ACURA cust. service. Have your info ready ( VIN, mileage, etc) and they'll be able to tell you.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:51 PM
6th Gear

97 2.2 CL same problem??

Hey guys! Here is my problem. My CEL has been on for about 10 months. I haven't checked it figuring that is was an O2 sensor or something minor. Last week my 2.2cl started missing real bad trying to maintain speed, only between about 1800-3000 rpm's. It doesn't do it when I push the gas down hard or when I let off of the gas. For some reason it is only when you are just barely into the gas. I pulled codes because my CEL started blinking. Of course I had an EGR insuficient flow, but also Cylinder 2 misfire. I changed EGR valve (didn't clean any ports) and changed all plugs. Still same problem continued. So I have now changed plug wires and distrib cap and rotor button. Still same problem and misfire on cylinder 2. I am completely tapped on ideas. Can someone please help? I really don't have the money to take it to the dealer and rack up some huge diagnostic bill. Sorry for the long post, but I really need some ideas. Should I clean out EGR ports and if so how on the 2.2??

By the way I have 158,000 miles on my cl.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Bagel Bomber

I vote towards the 2.2's and 2.3's of the CL world not covered.

as for flytnn - the .pdf i linked to in this thread will not help you out much since its is specifically for a 3.0 I'd try: wires, plugs, and cap. Reset the ECU and see what happens. You can always pop off the EGR and see whats going on in there. Other wise if you feel its clogged you'll have to remove your intake manifold and see if the route from the intake manifold to the cylinder head is clogged with carbon.

Take the car to autozone, they will pull the code for free. Keep us informed.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:09 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
The problem is your EGR manifold is blocked. Carbonized crud accumulates inside the manifold till some ports, usually the ones further from exhaust inlet point. This means the remain open ports get more exhaust gas than needed. This causes a "lean stumble" at mid-range rpms. Fix is to remove EGR manifold, clean manifold, and entry ports into the intake manifold. No need to remove the intake manifold.

I had to do this for my 2.5TL yesterday. My wife took the car for Tx emission test and it failed, high NOX. NOX is reduced at idle and low speed by diluting the intake mixture w/ exhaust gas. This reduces combustion temps, which reduces NOX. I pulled the intake manifold and found 4-5 ports completely blocked and all ports partially blocked. After cleaning, it passed the emissions test.

good luck

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with our EGR's