Water leak. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009 | 11:19 PM
Advanced

Thumbs down Water leak. Help!!

Recently my car had a whistle on the highway from the corner of the windshield.
I took off the rubber trim and painted adhesive to seal up the windshield edges where their might have been air gaps between it and the caulking, and now the highways noise is gone.
HOWEVER.
Before I did this my dad decided to squeeze a ton of silicone along the edge of the windshield and down in the bottom corner, I can see it ran all the way down past the corner of the windshield into invisible territory below before drying. He did this to stop the air leak on the highway, but it didn't work.
AFTER he did this, I noticed my car leaks water on the inside pretty bad every time it rains or I go through a car wash.
The water leak is coming from underneath the glove compartment in the gap way back in the passenger corner from the inside of the front of the car. (this is directly below where he put the silicone on the outside of the car. Also after the car has been in the rain for a while, water starts to seep up along the carpeted ceiling board thing in the top corner of the passenger side.

SOOOO..
After this explaining here is my real question:
Could this have been caused by some of the silicone blocking the normal path of the water and diverting it to flood the inside? Or could it be a water pump problem (not sure what a water pump's purpose is or if it is even relevant, i just had the pump replaced though.)
Please help! Any suggestions or answers??
Old 11-16-2009 | 04:14 PM
10th Gear

i had that same prob on my 02 monte carlo, after i replace the windshield. im going to have to say its the silicone, i had the prob on the driver side. i cleaned up the extra run off and it stoped leaking into my car. try that, and get back at me and let me know if that works
Old 11-18-2009 | 08:38 PM
Advanced

Hey thanks i will definitely try that as soon as it stops raining. It has been raining/sleeting/drizzling nonstop for almost 3 days now, so i have been replacing towels in my car 2-3 times a day from absorbing all the leaking water and had no time to fix anything
Old 11-28-2009 | 01:40 PM
Racer

sometimes the AC condenser leaks, and its situated in that area in our cars.. Does it leaks when the AC runs? Tried shutting off the ac and vice versa
Old 12-06-2009 | 11:20 PM
Advanced

Nah it can't be the AC condenser although the water was literally dripping down from it. I would park the car dry with a towel cramped up there and an hour after being parked in rain the towel would be wet. It only happened when it rained, I even went through a carwash and had someone attending to the leak as i went through.

But good news.
Scraped off all the excess silicone gunkage from the corner down there just yesterday. It rained half the day today and the towel is still completely dry

I think the problem is solved.
Only time will tell...
Old 12-07-2009 | 10:51 AM
Racer

Hmm, yea..

I have a water leak somewhere, my driver's side carpet is ALLways wet.. and i can't figure out where its coming from, and iv got that stale water small now.. I think it might be my door rubber
Old 12-08-2009 | 10:14 PM
Advanced

ARGH
Towel was wet today, must still be leaking, I'll have to do a more thorough job removing the silicone.

Eband27 have someone spray a hose in the area around the car while you're in it and look/feel for the leak, that's the way I found out for sure the source of my leak.
That mildew smell is hard to get rid of once it's in there, so try to put a towel down and replace it often.