odd revving/speedo twitching after engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
odd revving/speedo twitching after engine replacement

So, I hydro locked my engine about a month ago. Insurance covered a replacement engine. The engine has been swapped in, but now the car is revving on its own and the speedometer is twitching even in park or neutral.

It's still at the Honda dealership because they can't figure out what's causing it.

It was originally revving between 2000 and 3000 rpm never dropping below 2000, then we swapped the intake manifold over to the one from the old engine and now it's revving between 1200 and 2000 rpm.

Checked the idle air control valve and swapped in the one from my old engine that was in there for less than 10k miles. tried swapping the MAP sensor, tried swapping the EGR valve, and still revving.

They hooked up a PGM tester and it said that it thought it was going 8 mph in park... wtf?

What coudl cause it to think it's moving when it's not, and why the hell is it revving on it's own? Electrical problem? Could the transmission have gotten messed up from that big puddle of water?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Old School Ridin Clean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no nothing to do with transmission.

How did you have your engine under warranty?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by WineRed2.2CL
no nothing to do with transmission.

How did you have your engine under warranty?

he probably had full coverage from his insurance company, which would include storm coverage (atleast it does here in the north east depending on company)

as for your issue.. the obvious answer seems to be the throttle body.. or the throttle line. did they try adjusting the throttle? or even reflashing the ecu?
Old 08-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Anhedonia
he probably had full coverage from his insurance company, which would include storm coverage (atleast it does here in the north east depending on company)

as for your issue.. the obvious answer seems to be the throttle body.. or the throttle line. did they try adjusting the throttle? or even reflashing the ecu?
That's right, it was covered under my insurance because I have full coverage.

I'm not sure that they reflashed the ecu, but I personally checked the throttle lines and both were "loose" enough that the throttle was fully closed.

Being that the vehicle speed is determined from the countershaft speed sensor on the transmission, I think it might have something to do with at least that sensor. I have an after market MSD ignition coil and I believe the way they put it back in there it's almost resting on that sensor making me think it might be arcing over to that sensor.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Safety Car

LOL. Just got a call from the dealership and it turns out it WAS the IACV, and both the ones from the old engine and the new engine were stuck that's why swapping them didn't fix it.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Drifting

haha great man, good to hear, hope its running well