Electrical starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 12:08 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Electrical starting issue

Recently having problems starting. All lights come on dash display, just get clicking noise, almost sounds like somehting is shorting. This can happen several times trying to turn over and then will start fine. The Acura dealership checked out battery, alternator & Started, everything is fine. of course, problem didn't re-occure when they had it. Very disconcerting...anypne else have similar problem or ideas. Sarah
Old 04-16-2006, 03:21 AM
i like acura

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
fuses is what i can think of
Old 04-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Burn you with a 2.2

i don't think it is fuse related. instead it sounds like a dying battery.
i've had this before where the dash lights would flicker and click but eventually will turn over. battery will likely die within days so you might want to take a closer look.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:48 AM
6th Gear

Dying battery, ok, how do you test? Initial thought was potentially the battery, enough juice to turn over sometimes ansd over times not. The dealership looked at the battery and said it was fine. I imagine they checked the amps it could draw. Other thoughts?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Intermediate

no offense but its not the battery, dealers load test the battery they don't just slap DMM on it and go 'sweet 12v's its good' i know supposedly acuras have a problem with this, forget what i was told it was, but i had the same problem with my acura, and it was teh starter relay/solenoid, next time it happens turn the key over like oh 3-4 times it should start right up, problem is the washer inside it that allows current flow gets all sorts of arcing burn marks on it causing high resistance or even an open, when you turn it over again it drops down and when it pulls back up it normal pulls back up at a different position and eventually it will find a good area and fire up, but you should check on that and if thats it get it replaced, i will talk to my friend and find out what it was he told me when i can
Old 04-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Intermediate

Seems like its the starter...
The way you are describing it sounds exactly like what had happened to me while i was in Florida a few weeks ago. when i was there me and my buddies were set to go to south beach but the car just wouldnt start. after several attempts and nothing but a click or two every time the key was turned, it finally started. this also happened a few times on the way back.
The day after i came back home in buffalo, ny my car would not start at all.
luckily it happend after i got back because it was a 1400 mile drive goin and another 1400 back. since i was back i was able to get it towed to the pep boys i work at and have the starter changed. no problems since.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
either you have a bad starter, or the ignition recall wasnt performed/performed correctly.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Originally Posted by saiko_cl_duck
either you have a bad starter, or the ignition recall wasnt performed/performed correctly.
while ur at it i won't hurt to check all your connections.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Advanced

Exclamation

I'm having the same issue, only it's kinda of magnified. My check engine light came on about 3 days ago. Prior to that, I have been having some issue with starting my car. Very inconsistantly, I would turn the key and nothing. The light's would come on and nothing. I would take the key out and put it back in and sometimes after like 2,3, or 4 times it would start and it would not ever bother me again.....I think I actually posted this somewhere here...I'll look for it.
Well, I did the whole disconnect the battery, reset the ODB and the check engine light would go off. Most everyone knows that trick. Well, I connected the battery again and my dash started to flash and I heard clicking noises. I thought OH great what now? I then thought I didn't disconnect it long enough so I did it again and waited about 5-7 minutes. It then started like nothing was ever wrong.
Silly me, drove it to the Taget down the street, got out and parked. Came back and my car did the same thing with the flashing and clicking. I thought, okay, I'll just disconnect the battery again and be done. Well, I then got the car to not only flash and click, but then the lights on the dash were real weak. Next I noticed that the clock would keep reseting from 1:03 to 1:00 when this would happen. Looked at the headlights and they wouldn't even come on. I then clicked the brights and heard something like a motor everytime I did that. Nothing would happen though.
My next thought was, my battery was dying/was dead.
I walked home, drove to Wal-mart and bought a replacement battery. Drove to my car and replaced the battery. Now, another thing I noticed was that the connectors on the battery terminals had lots of "white" stuff on it. Cleaned it off and then went to start my car with the thinking it would start right up. Wrong! My dash lit up again and started clicking. I checked the connections and made sure. Now the dash was dim. The light on the door was still lighting up and the dome light was as well. As I tried to get it to work by turning it over and over again. The lights died and now it was as if there was NO power at ALL! I disconnected the battery again. Re-connected it and nothing. It's as if there is no battery hooked up to it. IT is not getting ANY power. I thought about the ignition switch as I had my replaced due to the recall. I already had my started replaced less than 3 years ago. I KNOW it's not the battery because it's BRAND NEW! Argh! I thought it might even be a fuse since there is no power, but I checked all the ones under the steering column and nope. I didn't check the other ones near the ABS controller under the hood. Any other suggestions? Can the corrosiveness of the battery connectors cause the connection to go bad? I think it is the ignition switch. Something that Acura KNOWS is a bad design and had to recall. That's just what I think. I am really trying to avoid bringing it to the dealership because A. I dont' trust they won't try to rip me off. B. I don't think it should cost $900 to reset my ODB computer once my EGR was replaced. Thanks in advance for ANY help or suggestions you can offer me to help get my car working.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Advanced

Oh, here's my other post.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178921
Old 05-01-2006, 02:06 AM
Advanced

Cool

I checked the fuses under the hood. Nothing was blown.

Originally Posted by asianspec
while ur at it i won't hurt to check all your connections.
Good advice.

Checked my battery connections. The white build up on my battery terminals, not sure what it is. I got some on my hand and it burned. Ouch! Anyone know what that stuff is? Chemically? Base? Acid?

I used latex gloves to protect my hands. Used Shop towels to administor the Tarnax. I was able to clean the connectors down the original copper. The shop towels held up pretty well.

I reconnected the battery, the dome light came on. I was surprisingly relieved at the result. My car started and I laughed as I drove home. I restarted it numerous times since and it seems to be fine. Oh and my check engine light isn't on now.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:11 AM
Intermediate

Definitely is corrosion best thing to do is spray some of this http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...cleaner-se.jpg
this is what we use at pepboys
first spray the cleaner let it foam up and react with the corrosion. then wipe that off then spray the sealer on it
Old 05-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Acura loyal for 93mo/109k

Just mix up some water and baking soda. (Cheap & simple.)
Old 06-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Originally Posted by Razor247
Seems like its the starter...
The way you are describing it sounds exactly like what had happened to me while i was in Florida a few weeks ago. when i was there me and my buddies were set to go to south beach but the car just wouldnt start. after several attempts and nothing but a click or two every time the key was turned, it finally started. this also happened a few times on the way back.
The day after i came back home in buffalo, ny my car would not start at all.
luckily it happend after i got back because it was a 1400 mile drive goin and another 1400 back. since i was back i was able to get it towed to the pep boys i work at and have the starter changed. no problems since.
How much did it cost you to get it replaced?
Old 06-09-2006, 04:37 AM
Intermediate

~130 after discount