Burning oil? White smoke out tailpipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Old School Ridin Clean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Burning oil? White smoke out tailpipe

WTF!! I smell something burning. And white smoke is coming out the muffler.

So give me the news?

The car is running strong though. I don't understand.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Mmmm...

Your fuel injectors could be leaking... I heard that the symptoms you described are common symptoms of leaking fuel injectors... im not sure at all though...
Old 05-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

A ton of white smoke poured out when I got all the carbon flushed out...

Honestly, I have no idea, but a google search turned this up:

White smoke: White smoke is caused by water and or antifreeze entering the cylinder, and the engine trying to burn it with the fuel. The white smoke is steam. There are special gaskets (head gaskets are the primary gaskets) that keep the antifreeze from entering the cylinder area. The cylinder is where the fuel and air mixture are being compressed and burned. Any amount of antifreeze that enters this area will produce a white steam that will be present at the tailpipe area.

If white smoke is present, check to see if the proper amount of antifreeze is inside the radiator and the overflow bottle. Also check to see if antifreeze has contaminated the engine oil. You can look at the engine oil dipstick, or look at the under side of the engine oil filler cap. If the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, it will have the appearance of a chocolate milkshake. Do not start the engine if the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, as serious internal engine damage can result.

How did antifreeze get in the oil or cylinder in the first place? The engine probably overheated and a head gasket failed due to excessive heat, thus allowing antifreeze to enter the cylinder (Where it is not meant to be).
Does your oil look like a chocolate milkshake?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Old School Ridin Clean

Hmmm......i did the search on here and nothing.

420 sounds like a good explanation.

I drove the car yesterday for only 15 minutes I open the hood and the radiator is hot. Is that normal for the car to heat up so fast? I was driving at night and didn't take her out all day.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
It is normal for radiator to get hot (~ 190F) when car is fully warmed and 15 minutes is enough time to be fully warmed.

If smoke is very white, it is steam and this is not good. It means that coolant is entering a combustion chamber and flashing to steam. A failed head gasket is most likely reason.

Check coolant for oil and note if coolant level is declining. Check oil for coolant, usually a white/yellow mixture on the dipstick.

good luck
Old 05-04-2007, 09:11 PM
where is....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white smoke=bad headgasket
time for a new engine because it'll cost you around 1k to change the gasket.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Old School Ridin Clean

Arrow

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
It is normal for radiator to get hot (~ 190F) when car is fully warmed and 15 minutes is enough time to be fully warmed.

If smoke is very white, it is steam and this is not good. It means that coolant is entering a combustion chamber and flashing to steam. A failed head gasket is most likely reason.

Check coolant for oil and note if coolant level is declining. Check oil for coolant, usually a white/yellow mixture on the dipstick.

good luck

So normal temp then? Listen When the car is on and idle the there is no smoke. ANd I don't see smoke coming out behind when I drove the car yesterday.

My car was at the Body shop for about a week. So she was sitting around. Also I smell something like oil burning.

The car felt strong driving her.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
heres how it usually is:

White Smoke = burning water

Blue Smoke = Burning oil

Black Smoke = Burning too rich (too much gas)
Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Old School Ridin Clean

okay I am burning oil. I can smell it.

WHat should I do?

Replace a seal?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Burning oil can result from worn or sticking oil rings. This is due to poor oil change service history as most Acuras will go well into 6 digits w/o losing much combustion and oil scavenging efficiency,... w/ regular oil changes. Oil bypassing rings usually is evident when you floor the throttle and you see a large trail of blue-grey smoke during full throttle and some smoke under steady engine speed.

Burning oil can result from worn valve stem seals. This sometimes happens for no apparent reason. It usally results in no smoke under steady engine throttle, but will result in small puffs of smoke after a prolonged idle w/ fully warm engine and often a larger puff of smoke when first accelerating after a prolonged idle.

Burning oil can result from PCV valve sticking closed and forcing blowby from engine into PCV air intake. If this is the case, replacing PCV valve and insuring PCV hose is clear will fix the problem. The intake duct downstream of PCV air inlet will be filthy w/ oil and dirt stuck to oil if PCV is the problem. Clean throttle body and throttle plate also.

good luck
Old 05-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Old School Ridin Clean

Cool

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Burning oil can result from worn or sticking oil rings. This is due to poor oil change service history as most Acuras will go well into 6 digits w/o losing much combustion and oil scavenging efficiency,... w/ regular oil changes. Oil bypassing rings usually is evident when you floor the throttle and you see a large trail of blue-grey smoke during full throttle and some smoke under steady engine speed.

Burning oil can result from worn valve stem seals. This sometimes happens for no apparent reason. It usally results in no smoke under steady engine throttle, but will result in small puffs of smoke after a prolonged idle w/ fully warm engine and often a larger puff of smoke when first accelerating after a prolonged idle.

Burning oil can result from PCV valve sticking closed and forcing blowby from engine into PCV air intake. If this is the case, replacing PCV valve and insuring PCV hose is clear will fix the problem. The intake duct downstream of PCV air inlet will be filthy w/ oil and dirt stuck to oil if PCV is the problem. Clean throttle body and throttle plate also.

good luck
Dude your the man.

The engine area is getting oil build up. I changed the PCV valve but not the hose. Makes alot of sense. Thanks again
Old 06-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Racer

How much oil do you lose as a function of miles of travel? I was reading the cat will soak up the smoke until you're burning an enormous amount of oil.

I've been burning oil for 50,000 km's now and I don't see any smoke from the tailpipe yet. My records show I've added 3 litres in 7000 km.

Originally Posted by WineRed2.2CL
okay I am burning oil. I can smell it.

WHat should I do?

Replace a seal?