Auto trans reinstall help/questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:13 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto trans reinstall help/questions

Ok so this car has been nothing but headaches and I am really doing my best to get it finished up around my work schedule. It was a project/favor for my younger bother and its unfortunately consumed a great amount of time.

98 Acura CL 3.0

I just installed a fresh J30A motor since the original had high miles and I had this one available. Likewise (and why I got the car soo cheap) I picked up a 44k auto trans to fix the one in the car that was slipping.

I am NOT an auto person and to be honest ive only owned one auto car since I started driving many years back. My only real experience was with an H22 swapped accord that I did but got bored of.

So heres the deal... its all back in the car, linkage is hooked up right and everything (park, drive, reverse) is the same as neutral. I attempted to put it from park to drive ONE time and it made an awful grind so I turned it off FAST. I am not sure if I overlooked/did something wrong or if theres a bigger problem. I could be off but I do want to mention this. On my accord with the H22 I needed to put the torque convertor on the trans first bolt it all together and squeeze in and bolt up the little 10mm bolts on the flex plate. With this motor it seemed to line up and bolt together fine when I had the TC on the motor and slid the trans over it. Is this okay or should it have been done like I did the accord. And if the trans and motor bolted up flush is it even possible for the splines of the TC/trans not to be lined up?

I am just getting overwhelemed and needed to walk away. Guess I am more dissapointed that my brother is so anxiously awaiting his first car and has been there to assist me in any way possible. If I have to pull the trans off I will, its going to suck but I will deal. I just want to know before I do that thats the only option.

But what else would cause nothing to be catching and everything to be neutral?

Thanks for your help