time to mow the grass

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
There's nothing unreliable about an OEM swap. Get an H series... Or at least an H series tranny. The car is so much more drivable with the shorter gears.

Do the boots on your axles go bad quickly when you're that low? I replaced the passenger side last week and when I put my stock wheels back on today, I found that the drivers side has ripped also.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
mitch: pleaaassseeeee get a roof rack. that would look hot. and tints too.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:25 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah there is tint on the car right now, can't really tell when it's bright out, that's why i want to get them darker, but we got some strict tint laws here.
roof rack is def something i want, just hard to find one right now, and new is kinda out of the question as i think it'd be like 6 or 700 just for a base one with no extras, and i'd want to get a bunch of different attachment things
does anyone on here have photoshop?
i have an idea for tinted tails, but i can't visualize if it'll look good or not

i beg to differ about the swaps, my brother has done more than a few in his life, and if i was to put anything in there he'd agree that i'd just put another f22 in there, cuz it makes the most sense especially for the money.
i know my cl is not gonna be fast anytime soon, so i'm not about to try and spend money on crazy swaps and other things when at the end of the day it's still a pretty big 2dr fwd car... but that's just my opinion, not trying to knock the CL at all, but to me that's not what it's for
and when it comes to swaps, then you got diff motor, diff wiring, tranny, etc etc etc... and when i say he's done a few i mean he combined two diff B series engines in his room by himself when he was like 17 or something, and right now he owns a 1.6el with a K24 in it, swap done by him, along with many other things done to it... so he knows a thing or two
Old 06-18-2010, 12:23 AM
CL in lawnmower status

i'll check about the boots next time i have her in the air
but there has been no clicking when turning or anything right now (which is what i hear is common with torn boots IIRC)
it's not that bad for everything else, tires will probably go by quick, i have triple treads as noted before so they have a super high wear rating
i think i may have blown one of my shocks though, still need to check it out, don't see any oil sprayed anywhere, but it sure sounds like something, and sometimes easy to feel too if all the weight is going over that corner
but that is really not that much, and it has been great at this height so far, been about 30000kms at this height, which has included gravel roads, highways, construction zones, normal crappy city roads, huge potholes, and even a 2000km trip down to Minneapolis and back, with only a battery cable coming off once, among bottoming out lots of times

Last edited by mitch14; 06-18-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
If i had a brother that had that kind of experience i'd def take advantage of it and would've swapped my car, probably save you a ton on labor lol.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mitch14

i beg to differ about the swaps, my brother has done more than a few in his life, and if i was to put anything in there he'd agree that i'd just put another f22 in there, cuz it makes the most sense especially for the money.
i know my cl is not gonna be fast anytime soon, so i'm not about to try and spend money on crazy swaps and other things when at the end of the day it's still a pretty big 2dr fwd car... but that's just my opinion, not trying to knock the CL at all, but to me that's not what it's for
and when it comes to swaps, then you got diff motor, diff wiring, tranny, etc etc etc... and when i say he's done a few i mean he combined two diff B series engines in his room by himself when he was like 17 or something, and right now he owns a 1.6el with a K24 in it, swap done by him, along with many other things done to it... so he knows a thing or two
That doesn't sound like a problem with reliability, but rather a lack of interest in swaps. Which is fine. Not everyone is into it. As long as the swap is done right, there shouldn't be any issues.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car's lookin sick Mitch. Keep it up buddy. Oh, and where's that little delivery you got coming?
Old 06-18-2010, 01:20 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1
If i had a brother that had that kind of experience i'd def take advantage of it and would've swapped my car, probably save you a ton on labor lol.
^yeah, true
but when you have a brother like that and see his friends that are into the same kind of thing
and they drop tens of thousands of dollars into their cars, only to drive them a couple times a year... then i realized that it's a path i don't really want to follow
labour cost would be very little, as far as i know he's done everything himself on the el, and his buddy helps him out with the wiring... we used to do most of the swaps in our garage

Originally Posted by Blazin Si
That doesn't sound like a problem with reliability, but rather a lack of interest in swaps. Which is fine. Not everyone is into it. As long as the swap is done right, there shouldn't be any issues.
yeah you're right, i'm not really interested in it
and i know i didn't provide any real cases of reliability problems, but it comes down to the fact that i find it hard to believe i'd have less problems with a swapped in H than my F that i have right now or any similar F for that matter... my F is the Original enigne, also with the original trans, clutch....314xxxkms, changed oil regularly, and some other fluids, nothing i've had to do to the engine so far, and probably have put on between 40000 and 50000 kms since i've owned it.

Originally Posted by mattastick
Car's lookin sick Mitch. Keep it up buddy. Oh, and where's that little delivery you got coming?
if you're talking about what i think you're talking about, it's here now, just gotta wait for him to sort them all out and then i can pick it up.... can't wait

oh and i did look into getting a rack today, not as bad as i thought
was about 500ish incl taxes for the base rack+fairing, and then it'd be a couple hundred ontop of that for the additional attachments for bike/snowboards etc...
but they do the install and everything, so i'm thinking about it
Old 06-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
if you're talking about what i think you're talking about, it's here now, just gotta wait for him to sort them all out and then i can pick it up.... can't wait
If we're thinking of the same thing, then you should make him hurry up... If I were waiting on the same thing, I'd be sitting on his doorstep with a lawn chair, cooler full of food and a blanket waiting on it day and night... Just me though
Old 06-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
and Chris, if you do find a cheap 98-99 black steering wheel airbag on your ebay bargain hunts, let me know, as i would love to do the mdx steering wheel swap to the black one with wood, but the bags themselves are so damn expensive
buy mine, I'm ditching the black airbag and wheel
Old 06-18-2010, 02:25 PM
CL in lawnmower status

let me know what you want for it... you can PM me
but i am looking for the black perforated wheel with the wood on it, i thought yours was the CL one with no wood on it
and you painted your airbag right? just tryna make sure if it'll work with the mdx color wheel
...damn, highjacked my own thread
Old 06-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

yeah you're right, i'm not really interested in it
and i know i didn't provide any real cases of reliability problems, but it comes down to the fact that i find it hard to believe i'd have less problems with a swapped in H than my F that i have right now or any similar F for that matter... my F is the Original enigne, also with the original trans, clutch....314xxxkms, changed oil regularly, and some other fluids, nothing i've had to do to the engine so far, and probably have put on between 40000 and 50000 kms since i've owned it.
Well it's unlikely you'll have less problems with a swap since people buy H, B and K motors to run them hard. The chances of getting a motor that wasn't beat on is slim. The CL isn't the ideal chassis to turn into a race car either. If you are looking for a cheap mod that makes a big difference, get an H series tranny. By far the best mod I've done in a long time. More low end power and less shifting to get up hills. If you need to replace your clutch some time soon, it's definitely worth looking into.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:07 PM
CL in lawnmower status

^hmm, didn't know the H tranny bolted right up.
thanks for letting me know
but if it's shorter gears as in higher revs at the same speed and gear when compared to an F tanny, then i'll pass
i'd rather be idling lower at highway speeds, that's all i'm really concerned with, as you said, the cl is not a race car, and i def have no need to make mine any faster
Old 06-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

^hmm, didn't know the H tranny bolted right up.
thanks for letting me know
but if it's shorter gears as in higher revs at the same speed and gear when compared to an F tanny, then i'll pass
i'd rather be idling lower at highway speeds, that's all i'm really concerned with, as you said, the cl is not a race car, and i def have no need to make mine any faster
That's my biggest complaint on the M2S4 transmission. 4k RPM at 80mph makes your gas mileage drop like a rock. The F22/23 5th gear would be an excellent thing to have. I'm sure a transmission shop would charge at least a few hundred dollars for this gear swap (about at mush as the tranny itself).
Old 06-18-2010, 09:26 PM
CL in lawnmower status

yeah, no thanks then, i think it's already high enough for me at my highway cruising speeds.
shorter gears are fun i guess, just not what i'd get
my brother's 08 tsx's gears are pretty short too, his 6th gear is at the same rpm as my 5th at 115km/hr(70m/hr)... doesn't really make sense to me, but i guess it makes for a sportier drive... too bad we can't have muscle car gears, pretty sure my buddy's c6 vette can get close to if not the same mileage as my car on the highway, it's amazing how low the revs are at in 6th
Old 06-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
I feel like its a mute point to bring up any swaps of any kind to mitch, when his CL serves the purpose of a gas efficient daily driver that looks sexy slammed as is. He's probably never gonna change a damn thing in the drivetrain lol.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 PM
CL in lawnmower status

^you got that right Chris
thanks for the comments, i really like the clean, unmolested look
...only gonna change something if it breaks
the only reason i slammed it is because it was a good deal and i wanted to try something different as far as mods, but i absolutely love it now

but if i want to go faster, i'm just gonna buy another car, and something AWD or RWD so i can have a little fun while i'm at it. this is just my choice, i know a lot of you have transformed your cl's into something you love and take pride in, it's just not for me, i bought the car for it's low maintenance costs/price/luxury and the fact that i could learn standard on it to be completely honest
for my next car i've been looking at a bunch of different german cars, mostly v8's or v6 turbos etc, we'll see what happens with that...
Old 06-21-2010, 10:54 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Originally Posted by South Jersey CL
mitch: pleaaassseeeee get a roof rack. that would look hot. and tints too.
how about a Yakima?

just bought it tonight, basically everything in those 3 boxes
the towers, loadbars, locks, the fairing, and 1 bike attachment, and notice the name of the bike attachment "High Roller"
just need to get the clips specific to the CL...so should be on within the week if everything works out the way i hope it will

Last edited by mitch14; 06-21-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
thanks mitch, cant wait to see how it looks!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:49 PM
CL in lawnmower status

^you and me both, the bike attachment is kinda big, but it's the most expensive one, and it says it keeps the bike very solid, which i need with my stiffer suspension and erratic pothole dodging
...and it was all bought off of my brother's friend, so it cost me about 60% of what it all would have cost new, and only the fairing has been actually used for a few months, everything else was just taken out of the boxes to see that it was all there,
can't wait, now i can actually drive my bike to places i want to go, and not have to bike all the way there