how to adjust ignition timing and removing idler pulley belt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 01:20 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to adjust ignition timing and removing idler pulley belt?

Hey, We r new to the site, not new to the Honda/Acura world though. I got a 90 Prelude and my dad just recently purchased a 98 2.3 Cl 5speed that needed a clutch. We have been working on it. Replaced clutch w/ new exedy, tuned it up (new plugs, oil change, filters all changed), and are getting ready to replace the timing belt. I actually have two questions for you all:
(1) is the ignition timing adjustable on the F23A1. I know on older Hondas/Acuras the ignition timing is adjustable by turning the distributer. When We did the clutch and I took the distributer on and off, I could of swore there was a little bit of adjustment. Me and my dad just loosened it and it doesn't seem to be adjustable. Some Acuras (old vigors w/ the g25) had an adjustment for the timing that was a set screw you could turn. Is the distributer stationary? or is there another way to adjust ignition timing?

(2) I have read in an Old Honda tuning magazine where they swapped an h22a into a Civic. When doing so, they said to leave the idler pulley belt off because it will cause less parasitic drag and add 5-7 horsepower like lightening the crank pulley or flywheel. They said that it is the same for all f-series and h-series engines. They say the only reason Honda puts those idler pulleys on the engine is to achieve a smoother idle. The guys in the article said that if you leave the idler belt off of the pulleys, that it might idle a little rougher at the most.... They also added that when they took the belt off of the h22a they were using, they couldn't even notice a difference. I wanted to know if any of you guys on here are running their f22's or f23a1's w/o the idler belt. Is there any long term affects of leaving this belt off? I know it will add power similar to like when you remove the a/c or p/s belt.
Let me know what you all think