Black Housing Headlights w/front bumper removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Black Housing Headlights w/front bumper removal

Disclaimer: by using these guides, you are removing me from any liability that is related to any injury that might occur. I would suggest having a friend help you on these installs, if you are unsure about your abilities for any of these projects, get a professional to do it.

Credit goes to vxcl (mrk183@psu.edu) for the original write up, thanks also goes to 97acura3.0cl (jgiguere17@yahoo.com) for additional info

Black housing headlight install

Estimated Time: ~4 hours (not including dry-time)

Tools:
Wrench / ratchet
Cloth
Flathead screwdriver
Primer (spray can)
High temp paint (spray can)
Silicon sealant

Instructions:

1. Front bumper removal:

get a 12mm socket and 2 extension wands, and a srewdriver, stubby and long screwdriver

there are 1 screw on each side that hold the lender liner to the bumper towards the bottom some have it towards the top, then there should be a hole on the inside of the lower grill next to the inside part of the turn signal, take a screw driver and unscrew this screw

pop out the turn signals, look inside and up to your top left inside if you are on the driver side there is a bolt, use the 2 wands and the 12mm socket and undo this bolt, then go to the inside of the grill on the other side of that screw there is another 12mm bolt, it will be on the other side of the plate next to the first bolt, take off the other one, repeat to the other side

when this is down it will be loose, lift up and pull away, this is the easiest part, when you put it back on it will be a little tricky to align it but put it the same way you got it off

LENS REMOVAL

2. Unbolt the headlamps. (6 bolts each, impossible to do without taking the bumper off)

3. Remove all bulbs from headlamps.

4. Use a heat gun or bake the headlamps in the oven. Work on only one headlamp at a time. Set the oven to 200 degrees for about 5 minutes. Put the headlights in and BAKE them for 8-10 minutes, try to avoid opening the oven every 30 seconds to check on them. Make sure you put foil on the baking sheet if you use one. The housing on the bare metal will probably melt. Don't worry about the small black venting tubes. Just make sure none fall if into the oven.

5. While baking or before heating place a soft cloth or towel down on your work area. This is so you don't scratch headlamp when you’re working on it with the clear lens face down.

6. If you baked them use an over mitt on your secondary hand to hold the headlamp from moving. The metal parts are going to be hot. I find that a medium flat head screw driver works best. Slowly pry apart the front lens from the back housing, starting at the BOTTOM. Go SLOW, make sure you don’t crack the grey plastic clips that help hold the lens to the housing. If it seems hard to pry apart then the sealant isn't hot enough yet. You will just end up bending the housing up all along the edge and this does not help when you reseal them.

7. Remove the chrome piece that you're going to paint, set the other pieces somewhere safe.

PAINTING

8. Sand the chrome off. This prevents the paint from chipping easily and makes the primer stick a bit easier. Nothing worse then chipping the paint trying to get the trim piece back inside the lens.

9. Take your time and mask everything carefully. Be sure to cover the bulb opening in the back of the corner lens. If you don’t overspray will end up on the corner reflector.

10. Using a high temp paint put about 2-3 coats on with about 15 minutes between them. The number of coats depends, use your judgment. I would use a flat not a gloss. The first coat is most important. The paint will not cover it the first time. Don’t worry. All you want to do is get some color on it. The next coat will completely cover the plastic. Don’t put too much paint on! It will run easily because of all the steep angles.

11. Le the paint dry, preferably overnight. You don’t want to chip the paint reassembling the trim back into the lens or pulling off the paint when you take the masking off.

12. Finally, make sure you pre-bake them or heat them. Most high temp paints will change color and release chemicals. This will make your headlamps foggy inside or make a rainbow like film inside. This is another reason to use a flat color. It will typically turn into a semi-gloss once it’s exposed to heat. Now you're ready to seal them back up.

13. When you do pull the lens off and you get strings of grey OEM sealant don’t push it back into the housing! You'll just end up making it hard to push completely back together again. As long as you put enough new sealant in you'll be fine. Squeeze a good bead in the housing. Make sure you heat the housing back up first if you don't have a heat gun. Then just push the lens on. The sealant will glob out. DO NOT SMEAR IT OR WIPE IT!!! LET IT DRY!!!! When it does you can pull it right off with no damage to the lens. Never ever use Goo Gone to clean up any silicone sealant. You will make a huge mess and ruin the housing. It just smears the silicone everywhere.

14. Using a few clamps so that you ensure maximum seal, clamp the headlights up tight and let them dry for about 4 hours, the longer the better, if you can, leave it overnight. If the headlights don't seal up fully (you'll know cause the sealant wont feel wet) then you'll run the risk of the headlights FOGGING. Which you do NOT want and it the biggest risk in doing this project. As long as you use enough sealant and seal it up right, you will be fine.

15. Reinstall the lights back on your car and put back on your bumper. Over the next few days make sure to check if the headlights fog up, especially when its wet, or in the morning. If they do fog up, you probably didn't use enough sealant and/or didn't seal long enough.

Before

After

EDIT 6/1/08 with updated quide from ghettoninja06

Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
Disclaimer: by using these guides, you are removing me from any liability that is related to any injury that might occur. I would suggest having a friend help you on these installs, if you are unsure about your abilities for any of these projects, get a professional to do it.

Credit goes to vxcl (mrk183@psu.edu) for the original write up, thanks also goes to 97acura3.0cl (jgiguere17@yahoo.com) for additional info and GhettoNinja06 (fredman_002@satx.rr.com) for additional pictures.

Black housing headlight install

Estimated Time:
~4 hours (not including dry-time)

Tools:
Wrench / ratchet
Cloth
Flathead screwdriver
Primer (spray can)
High temp paint (spray can)
Silicon sealant

Instructions:

1. Front bumper removal:
get a 12mm socket and 2 extension wands, and a screwdriver, stubby and long screwdriver

there is 1 screw on each side that hold the fender liner to the bumper towards the bottom some have it towards the top, then there should be a hole on the inside of the lower grill next to the inside part of the turn signal, take a screw driver and unscrew this screw

pop out the turn signals, look inside and up to your top left inside if you are on the driver side there is a bolt, use the 2 wands and the 12mm socket and undo this bolt, then go to the inside of the grill on the other side of that screw there is another 12mm bolt, it will be on the other side of the plate next to the first bolt, take off the other one, repeat to the other side

when this is down it will be loose, lift up and pull away, this is the easiest part, when you put it back on it will be a really tricky to align it but put it the same way you got it off and pay attention to stationary mounting bolts.

For additional help, check out Orlando3.0’s Bumper Removal DIY guide:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...bumper+removal

LENS REMOVAL

2. Unbolt the headlamps. (5 bolts each, impossible to do without taking the bumper off)

3. Remove all bulbs from headlamps. (look in your manual on detailed information on how to do this)

4. Use a heat gun or bake the headlamps in the oven. Work on only one headlamp at a time. Set the oven to 200 degrees for about 5 minutes. Put the headlights in and BAKE them for 8-10 minutes, try to avoid opening the oven every 30 seconds to check on them. Make sure you put foil on the baking sheet if you use one. The housing on the bare metal will probably melt. Don't worry about the small black venting tubes. Just make sure none fall if into the oven.

5. While baking or before heating place a soft cloth or towel down on your work area. This is so you don't scratch headlamp when you’re working on it with the clear lens face down.

6. If you baked them use an over mitt on your secondary hand to hold the headlamp from moving. The metal parts are going to be hot. I find that a medium flat head screw driver works best. Slowly pry apart the front lens from the back housing, starting at the BOTTOM. Go SLOW, make sure you don’t crack the grey plastic clips that help hold the lens to the housing. If it seems hard to pry apart then the sealant isn't hot enough yet. You will just end up bending the housing up all along the edge and this does not help when you reseal them.

7. Remove the chrome piece that you're going to paint by unscrewing 2 screws each and set the other pieces somewhere safe.

PAINTING

8. Pop out the corner lens and take time to carefully mask off the corners. Be sure to cover the bulb opening in the back of the corner.

9. Sand the chrome off. This prevents the paint from chipping easily and makes the primer stick a bit easier. Nothing worse then chipping the paint trying to get the trim piece back inside the lens.

10. Using a high temp paint put about 2-3 coats on with about 15 minutes between them. The number of coats depends, use your judgment. I would use a flat not a gloss. The first coat is most important. The paint will not cover it the first time. Don’t worry. All you want to do is get some color on it. The next coat will completely cover the plastic. Don’t put too much paint on! It will run easily because of all the steep angles.

(3rd coat)

11. Let the paint dry, preferably overnight. You don’t want to chip the paint reassembling the trim back into the lens or pulling off the paint when you take the masking off.

(carefully took off the masking tape)

12. Finally, make sure you pre-bake them for about 8-10 minutes on 200 degrease or heat them with a heat gun. Most high temp paints will change color and release chemicals. This will make your headlamps foggy inside or make a rainbow like film inside if not preheated. This is another reason to use a flat color. It will typically turn into a semi-gloss once it’s exposed to heat. Now you're ready to seal them back up.

13. When you do pull the lens off and you get strings of grey OEM sealant. Take off as much of the old sealant as possible.

As long as you put enough new sealant in you'll be fine. Squeeze a good bead in the housing. Make sure you heat the housing back up first if you don't have a heat gun. Then just push the lens on. The sealant will glob out. DO NOT SMEAR IT OR WIPE IT!!! LET IT DRY!!!! When it does you can pull it right off with no damage to the lens. Never ever use Goo Gone to clean up any silicone sealant. You will make a huge mess and ruin the housing. It just smears the silicone everywhere.

14. Using a few clamps so that you ensure maximum seal, clamp the headlights up tight and let them dry for about 4 hours, the longer the better, if you can, leave it overnight. If the headlights don't seal up fully (you'll know cause the sealant wont feel wet) then you'll run the risk of the headlights FOGGING. Which you do NOT want and it the biggest risk in doing this project. As long as you use enough sealant and seal it up right, you will be fine.

15. Reinstall the lights back on your car and put your bumper back on. Over the next few days make sure to check if the headlights fog up, especially when it’s wet, or in the morning. If they do fog up, you probably didn't use enough sealant and/or didn't seal long enough.

BEFORE/AFTER

Old 07-15-2005, 02:18 AM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice lights, i bet some nice guy did those
Old 08-19-2005, 04:20 PM
green3.0CL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice. tedious. but looks worth it
Old 01-31-2006, 01:11 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
what grit sand paper is good for this?
Old 06-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Hey guys does the paint have to be high heat paint? because the color i am looking for i can not find. I asked a buddy of mine and he said he used regular spray paint and he never had a problem..
Old 06-28-2006, 03:57 PM
One custom CL

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
that would be correct
Old 06-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Instructor

what is correct?

sorry didnt understand your answer was not sure if you mean that the high heat paint is needed or if what my boy said is correct....

thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 09:40 PM
One custom CL

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
what your friend said is correct
no high heat temp needed
Old 06-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Instructor

cool thanks !!!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 02:27 AM
I SMELL NAWZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so there are 6 bolts total? to remove the bumper cover?

2 bolts - 1 on each side by the fender well holding the bumper to the fender well

4 bolts - 2 bolts each side after removal of the corner light? there above the corner light?

these 6 bolts are all it takes to take the bumper off?

from looking at it i think i see another screw under my head light ?

or is that something else
Old 07-02-2006, 11:11 PM
BOSS

me and SupraManAG did the housing on Saturday. I'll post pics tomorrow. Lookin pimp. Thanks again for the help Homie...
Old 07-15-2006, 09:53 AM
BOSS

Pics not great but I love em...I'll set some on my car posted soon
Old 07-15-2006, 05:03 PM
BOSS

not sure why it's coming up not available
Old 05-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Instructor

what kinda silicon sealant do you use? Will the $5 tube at autozone work well enough. Anyone have any problems with moisture becuase of low quality sealants, not becuase of a shaddy job putting it back together?
Old 12-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Here's some pictures to help with the removal of the bumper.

First, remove the corner lenses. After that,when you look inside you should see this. There is another bolt on top that needs to be removed that isn't visible from the picture. You can get it when a short socket, 12mm for both. The top bolt is pretty hard to get to, just keep trying if you can't get it.

Then, more towards the center of the lower grill, there's another bolt, also 12mm, that need to removed. It's in line with the bottom bolt. See pictures below for the arrangement.

Next, there's two screws underneath the fender on each side. One is on what looks like the stock lip, the other is pointing upwards into the fender it self. It's easier if you take them off with a 9mm socket. Driver's side:

Passenger's side (the bottom screw was stripped out so it didn't need to be removed):

Here's the arrangement of the 3 bolts that need to be taken off from above (passenger side). It's reversed for the other side.

Now you can lift and pull the bumper off.

The hardest part is getting the bumper back on. You have to get it to line up on both sides next to the fender in order to not have a huge gap. I had to bolt and unbolt 3 times before I got it to line up properly.

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:50 PM
its JDM yo!!!!!!!!

nice job bro maybe once ur done i can see it in person but good start
Old 12-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Instructor

what kinda silicon sealant do you use? Will the $5 tube at autozone work well enough. Anyone have any problems with moisture becuase of low quality sealants?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by unlewser
what kinda silicon sealant do you use? Will the $5 tube at autozone work well enough. Anyone have any problems with moisture becuase of low quality sealants?
Sorry, no idea. I didn't actually do the black housing headlights, I just installed brand new ones.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:08 PM
8th Gear

for silicon, i used some clear one that I bought off home depot, worked fine.

hardest part is putting the bumper back on. maybe because my car was in an accident and the bodyshop that fixed it took the cheap way, it was a real PITA putting the bumper back on.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Just took everything apart and am about to start sanding/painting.
How long did you guys prebake the housing before installing?
I'm using hight temp paint.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
updated first post with guide from ghettoninja06, thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
W WHIP.

My lights have moisture in them, im guessing the old sealant is falling apart. I dont want to black house them, although now would probably be a good time, i just dont have time to do that right now. So what kind of sealant can i use? I was just gonna pop the hood and see if i can find any breaks in the sealant so i dont have to take off my bumper. What sealant did you use ghettoninja? or anyone else? thanks.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,447 Likes on 3,045 Posts
Surprised I didn't get a text about this, use clear silicone sealant from home depot
Old 07-09-2008, 08:25 PM
W WHIP.

haha, alright ill try but i just looked at my headlight and there doesnt seem to be any room for sealant unless i put it on top of the cracks rather than in between. I have the assumption that maybe the sealant is deteriorating on the bottom side of the headlight. well this sucks.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

I forgot the exact brand but just go to Auto Zone or Advance auto parts or just about any auto store or any home improvement store and ask for some clear silicone sealant. I got mine from Advance Auto. You might as well blackhouse them. Putting the bumper back on is the hardest part and you have to do that anyway. Also, use enough sealant to where a little gushes out when you clamp em. I had to redo mine because I didn't put enough sealant.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:54 PM
For Life

Permatex Clear RTV Silicone if youre looking at auto zone or advance, which is where i would go since they sell the little squeeze tube. I just did mine last night and i think it was worth the effort to do it. Im keeping an eye on mine to make sure they are sealed up good. dont want any issues with the HID's.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:41 AM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

[QUOTE=Blind_Shooter]Permatex Clear RTV Silicone Sealant[QUOTE]
Yeah, that is the one I used. Great stuff.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:28 PM
For Life

ghettoninjo06 did you use any kind of clear on your headlights?? i didnt cus i figured it didnt matter since it was in the housing itself......
Old 07-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Naw, I didn't. It's basicly usless since it's covered. Just make sure you give the freshly painted blackhousings to dry well before puting them back in. Nothing worse then chiping the paint at that stage.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:20 PM
For Life

Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
Naw, I didn't. It's basicly usless since it's covered. Just make sure you give the freshly painted blackhousings to dry well before puting them back in. Nothing worse then chiping the paint at that stage.

yea thats what i was assuming too. i thought the clear might have a funny reaction to being heated up by HID's. i also didnt have any time to do it since i was painting as the rain rolled in
Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Racer

on step 12 what do you exactly put in the oven, the housing, or the whole head lamp with hosing??? im confused

12. Finally, make sure you pre-bake them for about 8-10 minutes on 200 degrease or heat them with a heat gun. Most high temp paints will change color and release chemicals. This will make your headlamps foggy inside or make a rainbow like film inside if not preheated. This is another reason to use a flat color. It will typically turn into a semi-gloss once it’s exposed to heat. Now you're ready to seal them back up.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:33 PM
For Life

heat the inner part of the headlight that you painted (the part that was chrome you just sanded for the past half hour) not the whole headlight. unless you like rainbows on your headlights and youre a little otherwise bake the painted part by itself.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Racer

now i get it thanks

whats wrong with rainbows in your headlights .....
Old 07-15-2008, 07:12 PM
For Life

Originally Posted by ckrowland
now i get it thanks

whats wrong with rainbows in your headlights .....

nothings wrong with rainbows :theghey: no seriously take your time with this and have a friend line up your bumper with you (mines still a little off) and most imortantly dont forget to take pictures and post them after your done
Old 11-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Instructor

When i put everything back together my right side (sitting in the car) low beam light would not work. I took it out, checked the wires and all but seemed fine. It's still not working though, should i buy another bulb and check?
Old 11-30-2008, 07:25 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
^first check the fuse, just to make sure, it should be in the fuse box in your engine bay, in the upper passenger side of the bay, i don't know what else you can troubleshoot besides that
Old 12-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Thanks man. I ended up buying a new bulb and that fixed the problem. I must've touched the bulb itself sometime when taking it out.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Racer

is there any way to do it without front bumper removal!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,447 Likes on 3,045 Posts
No
Old 02-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Originally Posted by CHRISdrivesACURA
is there any way to do it without front bumper removal!

How would you take out the bottom few bolts without taking off the bumper? You can't.
I wish there was though..

Quick Reply: Black Housing Headlights w/front bumper removal