XM Radio - Blows away the local stations!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 04:17 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Radio - Blows away the local stations!

I just installed a Pioneer XM Universal radio in my 1998 3.0 CL (the price was right). It not only works great but the programming blows away the local radio stations. My only complaint is that there are too many XM radio commercials even on the commercial free stations. However, this does not begin to negate the great wealth of programmong that is available.

Just thought I would let those considering it know it is well worthwhile, at least in my opinion. I do live in South Florida (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area). For a large metropolitan area there is no true all news station and no classical music station. The rock stations mostly suck cause the jocks simply do not know when to stop talking and the range of music is suprisingly limited. There is only one light jazz station and they also seem to play the same cuts all the time. AM is worthless because it is all either talk shows or Spanish speaking. Even though I have only had it for 24 hours now, I am really pleased with the programming XM provides.

I installed it myself so if there are any questions about installation I would be glad to answer them. The installation was a no brainer but it did require removing the rear seat, console, and wood trim (collectively a big pain in the ass). I mounted the electronics package in the trunk because the antenna leads were not sufficiently long to reach to the under part of the passanger seat. Also, Acura has already placed an electronic module under the passanger seat so it was not really the best place to put it. I am using the factory head unit with the provided FM modulator. The sound quality seems to be equal to that I get when playing CDs.
Old 05-28-2002, 07:11 PM
vvvvvvvrrrrrrrooooommmmm!

I'm kinda iffy on weather or not to buy an XM kit, mainly because it's 10 bucks a month; but glad to hear that you like it
Old 05-29-2002, 12:27 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

how much for the equipment?
Old 05-29-2002, 04:54 PM
Pimpin with style

where did you put the antenna?? Ive looked into it and those antennas are huge, and I wasnt all about puttin that on my car,
Old 05-29-2002, 05:05 PM
Drifting

that shit is a rip........I looked into it around X-mas time and the dude at Best BUY told me...........forgot exact amt but it was high.

$200-$300 for the head unit
$$$ installation
$$$ hardware
$$$ monthly fee.

i also browsed the stations at the Best Buy display and there was nothing on it worth the $$$ same shit you here on the FM ch plus a bunch of wacked ass songs I've never heard of (rap and pop/dance station)............. lets face it the radio sucks period weather it's FM AM or XM.
A good comparision to Xm radio is the DMX CH on digital cable.
IMO

it might be cool if you live out in bummble fuck USA
Old 05-29-2002, 06:37 PM
Advanced

Ok here are the details.

I purchased the Pioneer GEX-FM903XM Universal digital tuner for $190.00. The Terk antenna was $76.00 but there is a $30.00 rebate on the antenna. Bottom line, including tax, 251.94. Although I purchased it at Circuit City this price should be universal (at least until the next price drop) because this is the deal being offered on XM's web site. The price also included "proffessional" installation but I installed it myself.

I did not buy a separate head unit. the electronics package came with a controller/display. The signal inputs into the factory head unit via an FM modulator. The controller/display is a very small package that was easy to find a good location for. The sound quality is equal to that of a CD. I also prefer the factory head unit because I find the flashy whiz bang displays on virtually all the after market head units look silly.

The Terk antenna could be smaller but it does not have the shark fin appearance that the Sony unit does. They had trouble finding a Terk antenna for me but I refused the Sony because that shark fin does look hideous. I mounted the antenna on the roof between the sunroof and rear window. It was really very easy to route the incredibly thin coaxial cables under the rubber molding around the rear window, one on each side. I would prefer not to have that black lump on the roof but it is just a small compromise not to be dependent on the crap the local stations provide.

Nugs3, your comment "that shit is a rip" is a matter of opinion. I do not find $10.00 a month unreasonable for the wealth of programming that is available. There is no true all news local station and I frequently want news. I am sure I will vomit if I have to ever again listen to the morning drive time jocks that cannot stop hearing themselves talk and consider themselves so cool and clever. There are a couple of decent rock stations but the commercials are sometimes never ending. There is also no (like in it does not exist) classical music station here. The light jazz station (that I listen to most frequently), seems like they do not have more than five songs on their play list. You would think a large metropolitan area like Miami - Ft. Lauderdale could do better but in reality the local programming is pathetic. So, Yes, in my opinion ten bucks a month is very reasonable.

One more thing. The display unit has three sets of six memories for a total of eighteen presets. I saw some reviews that said this particular unit was too limited because it only has six memories. Not true, it has eighteen. This is also convenient because my wife was able to program a block of six for her favorite stations when she drives the car.

Hope this answers the questions.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:01 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I heard the Xm radio and was blown away by the quality. I understand that they have over 100 channels of music/talk/sports.
I would like to see more channels of music I like, added to the "channels list" (I like alternative rock, heavy metal, and Rock in general). I didn't see more than 5 or 6 channels that I would probably listen to, with the exception of some occasional sports channels. So, the 10 bucks a month doesn't scare me away, I'd just like to see more of what I like in channels. Maybe down the road there will be more.

I also heard that some people are mounting their antennas inside the car between the two rear speakers. I understand they still pickup a great signal with no dropouts.

I will be getting Xm radio sometime soon, but just not yet.

Trending Topics

Old 05-29-2002, 10:01 PM
Intermediate

I have XM In my 99. I put the antenna on the back deck inside the car!! Did not like the look on the outside. Never have had one second of problems with reseption.
The only time I have ever lost it is in a tunnel.
On ebay you can find the whole set up for around 200 bucks!
Got the pioneer system and p930 head unit for a total of 500 all new..
Did the install myself and saved a few hundred on that to!!
Remember if you sign up 25 people on XM you get the service for life, FREE!!
Old 05-29-2002, 10:15 PM
Advanced

Just a thought on mounting the antenna inside the car.

Large metropolitan areas have a local repeater that broadcasts a signal like any other radio station. This is why the antennas have two leads going to the electronics package (one for the sat signal and one for the local repeater signal). I understand this repeater is to maintain signal quality when your not in view of a satellite. It also probably provides good signal to the inside the car antenna. In other words, when out of range of the local repeaters, I suspect the inside the car antenna might not consistently get a good quality signal.

I am not 100% sure if this will be the case but I think it should be considered prior to mounting the antenna inside.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

The repeaters work great down in LA when going through the tunnels and under the freeways. Thats the only major city that I have been in that has had them. I m up in Salem, Or. Not that big of a place, about 100K out side of town in the sticks or in town or in the woods I have seen no reception problems with having it in the car..

Just what I have seen sience I have had it. (about six months)