What should i replace my stock muffler with?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 09:42 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should i replace my stock muffler with?

i have a 97 3.0 and i want to get an exhaust muffler, any suggestions of what brand and where i can get it??
Old 10-23-2002, 10:31 AM
Midnight Marauder

Depends on whether or not you want full cat back, rear section, or weld-on muffler.

You can get any universal straight through muffler and have it welded on.
You can get any of the name brand ones that you may like and have them welded on.

Do you want it louder or quiet?
Old 10-23-2002, 11:23 AM
-iii-(

i want a weld-on muffler too but dont know what kind to get so it wont sound ricey. Like nice and deep and not too invasive.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:32 AM
Midnight Marauder

My advice would be to get one with a large single canister area on it. The larger the bod of the muffler the more it quiets it down and gives a deep sound.
Try airdynamicracing.com for universal "3A Racing" mufflers. Stay away from the dual canister sort if you don't like it louder.

My OBX rear section is perfect in my opinion, and the only thing I don't care for too much is the tip. Little big and i love the look of the dual straight tips.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:57 AM
fellow MASShole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is it even worth the full cat back system on our cars?? isnt the pipin 2.25 anyway? im usaly not cheap but unfortunatly i have very limited funds at this time and would love the sound of a nice exhaust ... i know u can by "replica" mufflers that look like the greddy evo and SP any one know the quality and sound ??
Old 10-23-2002, 12:56 PM
Advanced

i want a nice sound but not loud, hows Tunabe or Tunable, i herd they were good but go for like $400?
Old 10-23-2002, 01:29 PM
StOHC Automatic Club

GReddy SP, best overall sound/look/performance IMO..
Old 10-23-2002, 01:56 PM
Burning Brakes

982point3, You are correct....
And I have one waiting for u in my garage We are both waiting for u to come down for the mini meet.....

Cheers!!!!!
Old 10-23-2002, 03:57 PM
Midnight Marauder

On a 2.2 the piping iskinda small but if you replace the muffler you'll notice a little improvement in gas mileage and performance due to the release of the restrictive exhaust.
Most of the more name brand exhasts are good even if they are universal.

For about $100 you can get a muffler and have a shop weld it on for $60. Or spend more for the rear piping.

Tanabe is a good brand but only get the one's that have a large "body" to the muffler if you want it quieter/lower. Stay away fron the tunable cannon styles unless you like it loud.

Try Bosal/Brospeed. I've heard good things about them.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:31 PM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Heres what i did....i wanted an exhaust system that would be loud but not that ricey/winey crap...soo, i went to the local compact performance shop (KC Trends) and they've got tonns of shit for imports...so i told them im wanted a muffler that you could hear but wasnt all winey and high pitched. The had this muffler instock from BANZI and it was a duel tip (like the stock cl...which personally i think looks better than the reg cannester style) and the tips edged up..They said it woudl make a low bass sound so i trusted them and bought it for $150 and had it welded on with new custom bigger piping. Heres the site and i woudl reccomend mine, I LoVE IT!

CLick the link and look at the JTC muffler..thats what i got!

http://www.banzaisports.com/banzai/index.htm
Old 10-24-2002, 01:43 AM
Still trolling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the muffler place remove everything from the CAT back. There was a resonator a foot or so from the CAT. Once all that was removed, they got brand new 2.5" pipe and bent it to perfectly match the piping that came out. Welded it up to all the factory supports, and welded a wide body 3A Racing muffler. The 3.0 generally emits a lower tone anyway, so it's not too loud, and it's a low tone. Removing the resonator helps. All of that cost me 260.00.

http://www.3aracing.com/3aRacing/product11.htm#mufflers

Mine is the 4 1/2" Round slant. They welded it on so it only protrudes from the exhaust lip on the bumper about 1.5-2".

I have noticed that the low tone can get agervating when cruzing on the highway in D4 @ ~70MPH because of the resonating tone at 2-3K RPM's. If I had it to do all over again, I might have chose one that could be silenced.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:46 AM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
yea....at about 2.5 rpm and at like 60mph...wow...its full blown loud....lol..but its a low loud....

Hey!! If anyone can help me post a pict, i will post a pict of what mine looked like before and after the install.....
Old 10-24-2002, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by chrisbpickering
I had the muffler place remove everything from the CAT back. There was a resonator a foot or so from the CAT. Once all that was removed, they got brand new 2.5" pipe and bent it to perfectly match the piping that came out. Welded it up to all the factory supports, and welded a wide body 3A Racing muffler. The 3.0 generally emits a lower tone anyway, so it's not too loud, and it's a low tone. Removing the resonator helps. All of that cost me 260.00.

http://www.3aracing.com/3aRacing/product11.htm#mufflers

Mine is the 4 1/2" Round slant. They welded it on so it only protrudes from the exhaust lip on the bumper about 1.5-2".

I have noticed that the low tone can get agervating when cruzing on the highway in D4 @ ~70MPH because of the resonating tone at 2-3K RPM's. If I had it to do all over again, I might have chose one that could be silenced.
what do you mean by "removing the resonater helps"??? isn't the resonator make the sound lower??? Please clarify...
Old 10-24-2002, 12:41 PM
Instructor

I plan on doing from the headers back so I will do custom piping straight from the headers to the exhaust.. Can I still use my stock cat ???? Should I get a high flow cat? Should I remove the resonators?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2002, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

u should be able to use ur stock cat. They just have to find a flange that bolts up with it. Resonators are what keep noises down and in a way it creates the low tone. Its a pre muffler and by looking at it its like a round muffler to help keep noises down. I recomend keeping all resonators if u are getting an exhaust or muffler. The resonators is what makes the exhaust sound the way it does. Even name brands like apexi universal mufflers can sound bad if u take resonators out. Its up to u. I would keep it on.
Then again u can always make the exhaust with out the resonator and see how it sounds and come back and add it on there. Its easier that way. All they have to do is cut part if the piping and weld it in between.