what else for ZEX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 06:40 PM
DOOKS of hazard!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what else for ZEX?

guys, i wanna search but its down........but can anyone (since quite a few of us out there have a nitrous get up) tell me what i need and how much it would take to do a zex kit. I have a completely stock (except intake) 2.2 cl with auto tranny....97, 45k on the clock. I dont think you should need any other info, but what would be my best setup, and how much shot do you think suffices? Also, where the hell you get your tanks filled when they run dry?! LATER, THANKS!
Old 04-10-2002, 07:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Everything you need comes in a zex kit except for the lower heat range spark plugs that you will need which zex sells for around $30. The zex kit cost around $450 new and you can find good prices on ebay for new kits. You can get your bottle filled at most performance stores and even some hardware stores. If you call this phone # 1-800-99REFIL it will give you the # to the closet shop in your area that fills up bottles. You can get other optional equipment like bottle heaters, purge kit, pressure gauge and remote bottle opener but it is not needed. Basically by the kit, the spark plugs, install it and your ready to go. Start off with a 55 shot and if anything work your way up. Hope that helps
Old 04-10-2002, 07:36 PM
DOOKS of hazard!!!!

YO DC!!! im pumped
listen, if i dont buy from zex, will i still have their one year warranty? I dont see why not. Also, i was lookin at all the other shit they sell along with the kit........the remote bottle opener......if i wanna race and dont have that, i have to get out, open trunk and turn on that shit huh, then flip the switch and GO!!! see, i thought it was always on and didnt work till i flipped the switch......clear me up man. Also, purge kit, bottle warmers?!?!? do i need em. The bottle warmer, in florida and alabama?!?! HELP! TTYL!
Old 04-10-2002, 07:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Zex is pretty cool when it comes to warranty. They have great customer service, when the o-ring on my tank was leaking for some odd reason they shipped me a new o-ring free of charge. I didn't buy the kit from them and they didn't even ask for any info other than what address to mail the o-ring to.
In order for the system to spray you have to have the bottle open and have the switch activated, then whenever your at wot (wide open throttle) you'll be spraying. Most people don't drive around with an open bottle 24-7. I usually don't race on the street and when I do its planned out so I have plenty of time to open my bottle. So I don't have a remote bottle opener. If you have the $200+ to spend on a remote bottle opener then get one but I won't be any time soon. The purge kit is to remove any air the might be in your lines so that when your start spraying you have only nitrous in the line and you'll get a quicker response. Basically a purge kit is more for show. You should see the look on some peoples faces when your purge right before you are going to race. The bottle heater regulates the bottle temp to be perfect. On dynos bottle heaters show some pretty good gains and even in Florida you could still have one. All this extra stuff you don't need in order to use the kit and you can never get them or get them slowly after you install the kit. Hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:03 PM
DOOKS of hazard!!!!

PRO, thanks alot DC.....so youve got the kit huh? Whats it on?? hows the 55 more hp, or didnt you even bother, and just do something bigger? And what do you have? a 3.0 or 2.2 or new cl??!? THANKS MAN! you mount yours yourself? EASY? dont think itll do anything to my car. How bout when i take it to get serviced at acura, what you think theyll say, cause i have extended warranty! LOL
Old 04-10-2002, 08:15 PM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

Heres one for sale...

NAWS
Old 04-10-2002, 08:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have a '98 2.3 CL automatic. Yes I have the kit. I started with the 55 shot for the first month or two and now I am on the 75 shot which is the biggest one it comes with. Installation was pretty easy and will take around 2-3 hours if you work str8 thru with a friend to help out.

As far a noticing a difference I would say hell yeah. I wouldn't be running high 14's in the 1/4 mile with out the 75 shot.

If I were you I would not let acura ever find out that you have a kit. It will void almost all warranty on the engine. If you ever break anything on the car, even if its not related to the nitrous I would take the kit off just to be safe and then take it for warranty service.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by niedejb
Heres one for sale...

NAWS
Thats a pretty good price. By the way niedejb did you get the fmax kit yet? Any idea when it will be installed? Can't wait to see pics of a cl with a front mount
Old 04-10-2002, 08:26 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres one for sale...

NAWS
Not bad!

I paid about $580 (shipped) for 6 Zex plugs (new), Kit #82011 (used for 2 bottles with of NO2), pressure gauge, and purge kit.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:29 PM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

Originally posted by dcsquirm88

Thats a pretty good price. By the way niedejb did you get the fmax kit yet? Any idea when it will be installed? Can't wait to see pics of a cl with a front mount
No turbo yet. My time off slip is filled out and sitting on my desk at work. Two days after I get it it'll be on.

Gonna try to do pics along the way.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:31 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

No turbo yet. My time off slip is filled out and sitting on my desk at work. Two days after I get it it'll be on.

Gonna try to do pics along the way.
It must suck, waiting!

I hope you get it soon!
Old 04-10-2002, 08:33 PM
DOOKS of hazard!!!!

ya, fo sho i'd take it off.........leave all the lines and management unit though? just pull the bottle? How would you do it cause dont you have to tap a hole into the intake? How would you explain a whole in the intake......then again, i guess i could put my stock intake back on........but ya, is there a way to leave all the lines running and just take out the bottle and managment system then hide the wires? ANYWAY, ya think that kits a good idea? ALSO, should i have done headers exhuast first? i just dont wanna spend a GRAND on headers for what kinda improvement, couple horses?!?! NO THANKS! LATER
Old 04-10-2002, 08:45 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Headers for your 2.2 won't cost you a grand. It's on the 3.0 that they cost $1000+.

To be safe, I'd take off the whole Zex system before taking into Acura. Knowing the mechanics over at my dealer, they would suspect something if they saw hoses, etc. in the engine bay.

I'm drilling the nozzle hole on the underside of my intake, so if I need to remove the nozzle, I'll just put a piece of heavy duty tape over the hole, and since it's underneath, it would be harder to see. The tape would only be a temporary thing.

It shouldn't take too long to remove the Zex hoses/wires. I think it's better to take the time and remove everything, rather than paying for the repair (because they voided the warranty on your engine--forever).