viper alarm system..

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:18 AM
nippon_wa 2.0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
viper alarm system..

I currently have a compustar alarm, and I think I'm going to change this to viper soon. (either this or getting the new screen)

So, I went to my audioshop which did my custom trunk, and the owner guy said that he will install the viper 791?? (forgot the model number) for $600 even(auto start, both windows up/down, trunk, alarm, maybe motion senser)

what do u guys think.. u think it's too $$$? or normal price..?

since they did my trunk setup, that was the discounted price.. should i ask them to discount more?
Old 06-16-2005, 12:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
see if you can get a bigger discount
Old 06-16-2005, 12:43 AM
nippon_wa 2.0

so, u think $600even(no tax) is too much...?
Old 06-16-2005, 01:51 AM
97 2.2cL black

i think that is a decent price. one of my buddies bought a cliffrod remote start for $250 off of a dude who no longer wanted it then paid 250 for install + 20-30 for other parts and his is just autostart and ur normal alarm features. i believe he has the clifford matrix 2.5.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:00 AM
Advanced

I've got the Clifford Matrix 3.5 which is essentially the same thing, I got mine installed for $900 cdn after 15% tax with motion sensor + extra sirens and custom install.

Oh yea I got remote start + trunk/hood pins, no auto windows though.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:11 AM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Im about ready to do the same thing. Im getting the Viper 791xv also. You can usaully find them for about $250 new at some places. Siggy said he installed almost the same thing to his wifes car and that he'd help me out with mine. I think he just wanted like a $50 bottle of Jack or something, and I told him I'd throw in a case of beer for during the install. lol...Hopefully if he is still up to it, he and I will install mine sometime soon. (ive still got to go buy it first though...
Old 06-16-2005, 03:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura3.0CL
Im about ready to do the same thing. Im getting the Viper 791xv also. You can usaully find them for about $250 new at some places. Siggy said he installed almost the same thing to his wifes car and that he'd help me out with mine. I think he just wanted like a $50 bottle of Jack or something, and I told him I'd throw in a case of beer for during the install. lol...Hopefully if he is still up to it, he and I will install mine sometime soon. (ive still got to go buy it first though...
$50 bottle of jack?
Old 06-16-2005, 04:14 AM
nippon_wa 2.0

well..i bought my compustar from ebay and got installed from cartoys..

but they dont' give me a warranty for it since i didn't buy it from them..

and, now i have problems w/ my alarm, and they told me to change..

i paid $250 for the alarm.. and i ended up paying like $400 installation..

so.. i'll just buy full set from a shop so that i can get all warranty..

wanted to save $$, but i ended up spending more $$... so i decided not to buy electrict stuff from ebay..

well.. i think $600 would be fine according to ur comments..

i think i'm gonna do the alarm first... and then the screen..

cuz i don't want to have my car w/o alarm.. w/ all of my setup inside..lol
Old 06-16-2005, 07:46 AM
Revelation 3:15-17

IMO it's too much money. For about $550 you can get a clifford with ALL the features, which include proximity/motion/shock/auto-start/auto-page...etc. Viper should not cost more than a clifford. I think you're better off with a clifford...but that's just me.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:57 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it should be between 4-450..I can't remember which Viper I had on my civic but it had all that and it was only around 400 amount
Old 06-16-2005, 08:34 AM
nippon_wa 2.0

well.. $500 is the retailed price.. so.. i don't think i can go lower than $500..

and.. they only have vipers in stock.. that's the only alarm they carry..
Old 06-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Banned

i just got my clifford matrix rsx 3.5 installed a few weeks ago (it is the equivalent of the 791xv and made by the same company... www.directed.com) i like the carbon fiber remote better than the blue one on the viper

anyways, i paid $454 installed for it. this included: remote start, shock sensor, hood pin and the little box or w/e its called for the transponder key ($45 alone) plus all the standard features.

i got quoted an extra $380 (installed) for the proximity sensor, 2 window roll down modules ($270 for that right there) and the auidio sensor (glass breakage).

if i were you, i would go through the shop... that way you get a warranty with it.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:58 AM
nippon_wa 2.0

yep... all i wanted is a warranty.. too many problems if i buy it off ebay or some other places and let them install me..

gotta ask him about the clifford too..and what they think 'bout it..

thanks for the reply guys
Old 06-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Cruisin'

I have the Viper 791 on my ack, friggin 500 for installation is a shitload. My gf bought it for my birthday and I got it installed for 50 bucks... connections are the shit i guess. It's a great alarm tho, too bad the one time i didn't arm it some punks broke my steering column and then "Well it's time to hit the dusty trail" (Family Guy) slowly walked away as I approached my car. Fun times.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Banned

damn, IMO, 600 is kinda steep. I have the 791xv, and I paid $350 installed. That includes remote start, motion sensor, trunk, hood, etc etc. He also said for another 75 he would do the windows, but I didnt really want that. Shop around, 600 is anal rapeage.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:00 PM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by car_lost
i just got my clifford matrix rsx 3.5 installed a few weeks ago (it is the equivalent of the 791xv and made by the same company... www.directed.com) i like the carbon fiber remote better than the blue one on the viper

anyways, i paid $454 installed for it. this included: remote start, shock sensor, hood pin and the little box or w/e its called for the transponder key ($45 alone) plus all the standard features.

i got quoted an extra $380 (installed) for the proximity sensor, 2 window roll down modules ($270 for that right there) and the auidio sensor (glass breakage).

if i were you, i would go through the shop... that way you get a warranty with it.
oye carlos, you gotta hook it up at the shop you got this at meng..
Old 06-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Banned

JR Electronics on bird and like 96th Ave. Talk to Ricky.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:03 AM
nippon_wa 2.0

Originally Posted by Katana18
damn, IMO, 600 is kinda steep. I have the 791xv, and I paid $350 installed. That includes remote start, motion sensor, trunk, hood, etc etc. He also said for another 75 he would do the windows, but I didnt really want that. Shop around, 600 is anal rapeage.

$600 is included the viper 791 too.. i saw some on ebay for $250ish..

but the shop sells for $500.. and all the installations for $100 more..

if i don't do the window module, then i think i can drop more than $50.. so around $500 for everything.. w/ full warranty..

still bad price..?
Old 06-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Banned

^^like I said, everything they want to charge you 600 for, I got for 350. Just shop around, those alarms have gone down in price in the last few months.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:20 PM
The movement has started

Around here thats a pretty average price from a good shop.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:17 AM
nippon_wa 2.0

Originally Posted by Katana18
^^like I said, everything they want to charge you 600 for, I got for 350. Just shop around, those alarms have gone down in price in the last few months.
Okay, I'll try to shop around more.. but like baka_t said.. that's also the average price here.. i hope i can fine some less than $500
Old 06-19-2005, 11:38 AM
One custom CL

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Cheapest way is to buy the unit yourself online or on e-bay. You will save at least $200 on it. Then take it to someone who knows what they are doing and get it installed. I have the same alarm with auto start, constant motitor and beeper but I dont have the windows up and trunk. Im sure they are add - ons. Mine ran for $320 everything.
I dont know why but I liked my old Prestige more then the new Viper. Every 2 months I have to go and reprogram the damn thing. You know how when you shut the car the doors need to open or when you auto start it you want the ac on, well the thing forgets. I never had that prob with the Prestige.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:24 PM
nippon_wa 2.0

Originally Posted by SupraManAG
Cheapest way is to buy the unit yourself online or on e-bay. You will save at least $200 on it. Then take it to someone who knows what they are doing and get it installed. I have the same alarm with auto start, constant motitor and beeper but I dont have the windows up and trunk. Im sure they are add - ons. Mine ran for $320 everything.
I dont know why but I liked my old Prestige more then the new Viper. Every 2 months I have to go and reprogram the damn thing. You know how when you shut the car the doors need to open or when you auto start it you want the ac on, well the thing forgets. I never had that prob with the Prestige.

what I want to do is NOT just saving money. I need a warranty on both alarm and installation. I have a compustar alarm now, and I have a problem with it. I got it from ebay so cheap and got it installed from cartoys. Now, they said their installaion was good, but for some reason, the alarm doesn't reprogram it itself. So, they said they can't fix it for me since i didn't buy it from them. I just thought changing the alarm is better than having this problem. So, i need new one from A SHOP.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Banned

some of you guys got it all wrong. you can buy the alarm on ebay or w/e for around $200... but you'll have to pay about another $200+ to have it installed.

OR

you can buy it at a shop for about $400-$500 INSTALLED WITH WARRANTY.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:59 PM
The movement has started

never cheap out on an alarm esp if your going with remote start because if they fuck one thing up you could be dealing with an electrical nightmare
Old 06-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

So, they won't warentee the installation. If it is trully the alarm that is screwed up, doesn't Compustar have a factory warentee. Seems extream to replace the alarm without trying to debug the issue. Are there other Compustar owners who have had this issue? Just a thought.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:13 AM
nippon_wa 2.0

Originally Posted by car_lost
some of you guys got it all wrong. you can buy the alarm on ebay or w/e for around $200... but you'll have to pay about another $200+ to have it installed.

OR

you can buy it at a shop for about $400-$500 INSTALLED WITH WARRANTY.
exactly, that's what i'm saying..

with 1~200 more, i would rather let them install it so that i can get full warranty on both alarm and installation..
Old 06-21-2005, 12:13 AM
One custom CL

What are some measures you can take to make your ride real safe against theft. This kid i know had a compustar alarm with beeper auto start and all and I just found out his Integra got jacked last month. What can be done to prevent this. Im not talking about some bootleg cut-off switch. What is there in the market to really prevent the theft of our cars. I live in BK and this place aint that safe unless you sleep in your car with a piece.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SupraManAG
What are some measures you can take to make your ride real safe against theft. This kid i know had a compustar alarm with beeper auto start and all and I just found out his Integra got jacked last month. What can be done to prevent this. Im not talking about some bootleg cut-off switch. What is there in the market to really prevent the theft of our cars. I live in BK and this place aint that safe unless you sleep in your car with a piece.

2 way pagers on their own are not much better than your standard alarm, most of the time you're too far away to do anything about it if your alarm goes off, not to mention if they rip your antenna out well then it won't be able to transmit to the remote so you're left in the dark. The best thing to do is make sure you get the add-ons with any alarm you decide to get.

1 - Hood/Trunk Pins - triggers the alarm if your hood or trunk is opened, it'll at least hopefully deter the thief if they're trying to get at your battery.

2 - Backup Battery/Sirens - Stuffing some sirens in the cabin powered by backup batteries so if they cut the main one is useful as well. (see #1)

3 - Proximity sensors - If your shock sensor doesn't get tripped a properly tuned motion sensor will do the trick.

4 - Digital Tilt sensor - Will set the alarm off if your car is being raised (good for preventing the theft of your wheels)

5 - Glass breaking sensor - kinda redundant if you got a proximity sensor.

Above all else a properly installed alarm in a non-standard location is your best defense. You could have the best alarm made and if someone rips out the "Brain" well then it's all over.

The best alarm available is the Clifford Avantguard G5.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,432 Likes on 3,036 Posts
Originally Posted by 1997 CL 3.0
2 way pagers on their own are not much better than your standard alarm, most of the time you're too far away to do anything about it if your alarm goes off, not to mention if they rip your antenna out well then it won't be able to transmit to the remote so you're left in the dark. The best thing to do is make sure you get the add-ons with any alarm you decide to get.

1 - Hood/Trunk Pins - triggers the alarm if your hood or trunk is opened, it'll at least hopefully deter the thief if they're trying to get at your battery.

2 - Backup Battery/Sirens - Stuffing some sirens in the cabin powered by backup batteries so if they cut the main one is useful as well. (see #1)

3 - Proximity sensors - If your shock sensor doesn't get tripped a properly tuned motion sensor will do the trick.

4 - Digital Tilt sensor - Will set the alarm off if your car is being raised (good for preventing the theft of your wheels)

5 - Glass breaking sensor - kinda redundant if you got a proximity sensor.

Above all else a properly installed alarm in a non-standard location is your best defense. You could have the best alarm made and if someone rips out the "Brain" well then it's all over.

The best alarm available is the Clifford Avantguard G5.
Very good advise
Old 06-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Peace, Love & Acura

If they really want it, they wil get it... It is sad to say, but true. As for stopping theft, how about that "Stick Death?"

You might also consider a lojack device.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Soul Rebel

What would be a non-stardard location? in a locked trunk? under seat?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 98SilverSurfer
What would be a non-stardard location? in a locked trunk? under seat?
Seat is still easy to access, trunk would be a pain in the rear especially with all the wires but doable, just remember the more difficult it is to install the more difficult it will be for someone to remove it. The brain of the system is probably the only non-redundant piece of equipment you have, everything else you can add 2nd and 3rd pieces or backup batteries. So even if they disconect the main battery and chop off the wires to the siren in the engine bay it'll still be going off if you add other sires + backup batteries.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Advanced

hey whats the range on the 2-way remote?
Old 06-22-2005, 08:13 PM
One custom CL

Mine is a very good distance. I might be off by a lil but I would say .10 mile, 3nyc blocks. Also depends on the elevation.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Intermediate

I have a 99 CL 2.3 and Just Got the Viper 791XV Installed at a very Sh*ty Place. From What I read in the install Guide it Comes with the Hood pin or what ever Yet on my install there is no pin, so I can open the front hood with out the alarm going off, Also is it true that the truck cant be programmed to open with the viper alarm Transmitter (tired of carrying Factory Transmitter) any help would be kool also looking to get the alarm to work when the door handles are touched maybe someone knows a good place in Brooklyn/queens area thanks in advance for help
Old 06-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PLuGiNn
I have a 99 CL 2.3 and Just Got the Viper 791XV Installed at a very Sh*ty Place. From What I read in the install Guide it Comes with the Hood pin or what ever Yet on my install there is no pin, so I can open the front hood with out the alarm going off, Also is it true that the truck cant be programmed to open with the viper alarm Transmitter (tired of carrying Factory Transmitter) any help would be kool also looking to get the alarm to work when the door handles are touched maybe someone knows a good place in Brooklyn/queens area thanks in advance for help
In my Clifford kit I don't recall seeing a hood or trunk pin granted I have no idea what they looked like. Also I do have remote trunk access, I don't need to use the factory remote anymore. I didn't get the remote rolling of the windows because as it is I'm affraid of killing off my window regulators.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:58 AM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1997 CL 3.0
I didn't get the remote rolling of the windows because as it is I'm affraid of killing off my window regulators.
ohh very true...I didnt think about this. Glad you said something because I was going to do the remote windows. (maybe i'll just do the sunroof)

I do have a question though, I guess with these alarms, you can control the noise/shock/proximity sensor right?

The reason I ask is every morning before class, I pull into the P. Garage to park and I end up setting off like 3 car alarms before reaching level 3 where i park. I just dont want to be inclass and my pager starts going off becuase someone drove by my car with an exhaust...

(but it is fun to do... ...lol...driving around p. garages and seeing how many alarms i can get to go off..lol
Old 06-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Advanced

ohh very true...I didnt think about this. Glad you said something because I was going to do the remote windows. (maybe i'll just do the sunroof)

I do have a question though, I guess with these alarms, you can control the noise/shock/proximity sensor right?

The reason I ask is every morning before class, I pull into the P. Garage to park and I end up setting off like 3 car alarms before reaching level 3 where i park. I just dont want to be inclass and my pager starts going off becuase someone drove by my car with an exhaust...

(but it is fun to do... ...lol...driving around p. garages and seeing how many alarms i can get to go off..lol
Proximity can be adjusted on the sensor itself, as for the shock sensor I'm not sure. I do know there is both a warning setting and a full alarm setting. You can disable the warning setting using the remote so that it doesn't do the 3 chrip thing.
Your installer will have to fine tune the alarm to how you like it. You might have to go back several times until you get your desired sensitivity setting
Old 04-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Racer

any way to add-on / modify a regulator so that we can auto down the windows + sunroof with the factory remote? I was thinking how cool it would be if you held down unlock for 2 seconds and it did that (similar to trunk)

Quick Reply: viper alarm system..