Vafc

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 10:07 PM
A-CL Understudy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vafc

Hey fellas

I was disputing about getting a vafc but i don't know what to get next i just got an intake for the cl 2.2 represent. But anyways what does the apexi vafc do tahts so important. Hopefully someone will reply but talk to you guys later.

Later

Bryon
Old 09-20-2002, 10:14 PM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

The VAFC will tune your a/f curve to get you more power or fuel economy.

The benefits of it depend on your mods. I got >50 hp gain with the turbo. My brothers lude didnt gain any peak, but he lowered VTEC and has way more power earlier in the rpm band. Night and day difference but REQUIRES dyno tuning.

Did I mention dyno tuning is REQUIRED.
Old 09-21-2002, 04:20 AM
Pimpin with style

I plan on getttin this myself on my 3.0, I just hope its worth the money
Old 09-21-2002, 05:35 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally posted by niedejb
My brothers lude didnt gain any peak, but he lowered VTEC and has way more power earlier in the rpm band. Night and day difference but REQUIRES dyno tuning.

Did I mention dyno tuning is REQUIRED.
He has VTEC, a sohc is not really VTEC. Honda/Acura should of never called it that in my opinon, but they did. Apex says you can't tune a sohc car with a VAFC. They suggest a SAFC that skips the VTEC. I know some poeple have put a VAFC in there 2.2/2.3 but I don't think you can adjust the VTEC set points. It is overridden because there is no 2nd cam to adjust.
Old 09-21-2002, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Bdog
He has VTEC, a sohc is not really VTEC. Honda/Acura should of never called it that in my opinon, but they did. Apex says you can't tune a sohc car with a VAFC. They suggest a SAFC that skips the VTEC. I know some poeple have put a VAFC in there 2.2/2.3 but I don't think you can adjust the VTEC set points. It is overridden because there is no 2nd cam to adjust.

OK bright boy....apparently you have no idea how vtec works. Yes the VAFC works on the 2.2/2.3, I've moved mine around to several rpms. There are others out there that have done the same thing.

VTEC has nothing, I repeat, nothing to do with number of cams. VTEC is a changing of cam lobes (with either 1 or 2 cams). The lobes are present on the single and double overhead cam honda engines.

You skip the VTEC on the 2.2/2.3 you can kiss what little HP it has goodbye. Heres an excel map of what happens when you delay VTEC....imagine what happens when you "skip the vtec"

Please refrain from posting info on things you know little to nothing about.
Old 09-22-2002, 02:48 AM
cmng 2 a lawschool near u

oh, wellt that sucks to be whoever what trying to argue with tubo=man. Just kidding about the nickname. I love you car and I wish OI had the time and money, not to mention guts, to do what you did. Great jopb on one of the nicest CLs around.
Old 09-22-2002, 03:14 AM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
note that it is recommended that you get a dyno to better tune it in, if you know you car right and know how not to over do it you can enjoy you vafc. i have one and i set my vtec to kick in at 4700 and you can really feel a boost. i explain it to people as a powerban for a dirt bike. on the 3.0 it work well even if i dont have it tuned but i have a appointment on oct. 6th to get mine in sacramento. well i would reccommed the vafc to anyone cause you can really i heard get better gas milage and more power. i support it 100%. pics to come soon of mine.
Old 09-22-2002, 03:42 AM
Racer

what is vafc? something to etheir give you more power or feul econ? sounds good! can i just put on of these thing onto my stock car or i need intake and all that stuff? someone give me some 411 about this and how much?
Old 09-22-2002, 08:52 AM

The vafc changes a/f ratios according to engine rpm. It changes the manifold absolute pressure sensor voltage to do so.

Little to no gain will be seen with a VAFC on a stock car. Maybe some performance and better fuel economy, but your money is better spent elsewhere.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:25 PM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
true niedejb, but all i have is an injen short ram intake, denso iridiums and the vafc and i get a enormous boost from it. you have to see to believe it i will take a vid sometime soon of it so i can show you guys what mine does. pics to come monday when the webpage is back up. i just added 4 neons in the interior all 15", hooked up my piaa harness and did my custom grill myself. thank for everyone for the help with the srs thingy i found out it was a pulsar lt front so i will ge it checked out on tuesday.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:39 AM
Not Registered

Originally posted by niedejb
OK bright boy....apparently you have no idea how vtec works. Yes the VAFC works on the 2.2/2.3, I've moved mine around to several rpms. There are others out there that have done the same thing.

Please refrain from posting info on things you know little to nothing about.
If others out there have done it and it work, they sould call Apexi and tell them, because I contacted them to see if it would work and they said no. Everything in my statement is from research I have done contacting the manufacture Apexi and an Acura dealer and engine builder If you knew how each worked the Safc keeps your Vtec, you just can't adjust it's engagement points. I have heard of a few people here using a Vfac and they complained when the tried to set the Vetc that it was all screw up.

I do know how a Vtec works and we do have a slightly workable form of it. But if you know anything about Acura's, Vtec was created for the NSX. People here can contact anyone they want to see how "true Vtec" works and everyone that know anything about a car will tell you it was created for a DOHC engine and only work the was it supposed to on a DOHC. We have the principle of it, but missing a cam. Yes, we do need the other cam for Vtec to work like it was designed to.

http://www.iapecc.com/vtec.htm

I you would read my post again. I wasn't telling shit that wasn't true. I was just trying to help the guy to get what was right for his car. His "Vtec" would still work with a Safc and there would be no complications with the Vtec engagements. I know you have done more to your car than anyone here to a first gen CL and I think your car is awesome, but before you get a shitty with someone, read their posts first you mey learn something.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:53 PM
150 Shot Project

Well I don't know much about "true vtec" and what we have, but I know that when i got my VAFC dynoed i tore the shit out of my tires!!! 16hp gain to my wheels!!! Knocked about 2 tenths of the quarter, so I'm living testimony that the apexi stuff works but as the niedejb says, the thing is only ornamental if you don't get dyno tunning! BTW: Magel, I would do a few more mods before steppin up to the plate.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:25 PM
Not Registered

Originally posted by Hoffhines
Well I don't know much about "true vtec" and what we have, but I know that when i got my VAFC dynoed i tore the shit out of my tires!!! 16hp gain to my wheels!!! Knocked about 2 tenths of the quarter, so I'm living testimony that the apexi stuff works but as the niedejb says, the thing is only ornamental if you don't get dyno tunning! BTW: Magel, I would do a few more mods before steppin up to the plate.
Yea, they do work. The whole point of my earlier reply was, will one work on a 2.2. I was just going by what Apexi and some others say about it on a 2.2/2.3- http://www.apexi-usa.com/tech.asp

VAFC: Will the VAFC work on 4 cyl. Accords?

No. The VAFC will not work correctly on 4 cyl. Accord models. 4 cylinder Accords incorporate a slightly different method of VTEC control causing the engine to hesitate at approx. 5000 RPM when the VTEC engagement point is changed. The VTEC AFC will work correctly on 6 cyl. Accords.

So yea Hoffhines yours will work correctly and you did see gains. The SAFC just doesn't have Vtec adjustments, you have to keep it the same as it is now. And yea, you will get the most gains with dyno tuning your car. Good job on your 16whp.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:06 AM

The vafc does work on the 4 cyl accords.

Apexi is wrong. They are also wrong about their wiring diagrams.

I didnt hear this from anyone.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:24 AM
AkA 'Lucky'

niedejb, i did a search but couldn't find where you posted the wiring diagram

i can't figure the wiring out, where is the vtm signal wire on the ecu?

i'm not going to cut my ecu without know exactly where all 7 wires splice into, i have to drive every day and this is my only car

any chance you can post a step by step instruction?
thanks for your help

i also called apexi, and they said the accord ecu's acted like a rev limiter at 5000rpm's
they never tested a CL
are our ecu's the exact same as the accords?????
Old 09-24-2002, 03:00 PM

OK. All of these will be looking at the wires with the connectors in the
ecu. The top will be the part with the push tab.

The Red and orange both go to the yel/blk wire on the 32 P connector #11 top
right corner.

The Blk and Brn both go to the Blk wire just to the left of the #11 above.
Note the Brn wire needs to be closer to the ECU.

The Grn wire goes to the 32P connector Yel/Grn Wire #20. This is down one
row and left 3 columns. It should be the one with nothing in the row above
it (an empty spot).

The grey wire goes to the 16P connector (the smallest) Red/Blk wire. In the
top row all the way to the left.

The Blue wire is not used

The pink wire goes on the car side of the cut 32P connector #8 Grn/Yel wire.
Its the wire two to the left of the Blk wire for the ground. The Purple
wire goes on the ecu side of the same wire. Make sure they dont connect
bypassing the VAFC.

The White wire goes on the car side of the cut MAP sensor wire. This is on
the 16P connector white/yellow wire two wires to the left of the Throttle
Positioning Wire. The ecu side of the cut wire should get the yellow wire
from the VAFC.

I'll try to get pics of the manual I used and send them to you. I havnt
found any of the Apexi diagrams to be correct (the auto timer was wrong
too).

This will at least get you colors
Old 09-24-2002, 05:30 PM
AkA 'Lucky'

thanks man for your long post
did you take any pics of the splicing?
Old 09-24-2002, 06:21 PM

No pics...it was awhile ago.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:31 PM
cmng 2 a lawschool near u

Niedejb, have you taken your CL to the track yet? I want to see some results. Let me know
Old 09-24-2002, 08:08 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
a VAFC is really pointless on a car w/ little mods.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:02 PM
cor
MR O'NEAL

Originally posted by ghander
a VAFC is really pointless on a car w/ little mods.
disagreed.. "pointless" isnt the word

you get better MPG and a little better performance.. more power earlier.. usually with little mods, you get NO peak HP gain.. but more HP earlier...

but i would get the VAFC after getting most of the mods i wanted...
b/c then you only have to dyno tune it once