Tranny Cooler Install Instructions & Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 04:34 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tranny Cooler Install Instructions & Pics

Here's a quick overview of today's tranny cooler install (Hayden model #OC-1677)!

Below is a pic of the battery, battery tie-down, and plastic battery tray after removal.

Then, remove the metal battery tray (4 bolts--circled in red) plus the bolt that holds the battery cables to the battery tray (1 bolt--circled in red).

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Although not pictured, there is a metal support bracket that holds up the metal battery tray. Remove this support bracket by removing 2 bolts. [It makes it easier to get at the tranny return line!]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Facing the front of the car: Next, locate the tranny return line (which is the one on the right--marked with 2 red circles). If you were to follow the tranny return line, you'll see it connect to the left side of the radiator (at the bottom). The other tranny line (on the left--marked with one red circle) goes more towards the right side of the radiator [you will NOT do anything with this line].
Disconnect the butterfly clamp on the tranny return line (indicated by the top red circle of the two circles) and remove this line [some tranny fluid will come out, but not much; have a rag handy].

Take the end of the tranny hose you just removed and re-rout it towards the front of the radiator (I was able to remove a plastic guard that sits between the radiator and the body frame, and the hose went right through and ended up in front of the radiator--circled in red).

Next, grab the new piece of hose that came with your tranny cooler kit (or you might have to buy about 3-4 feet of tranny cooler hose). Connect this new piece of hose to where the ORIGINAL tranny return line was (marked with two red circles), and rout the other end to the front of the radiator [as you did with the other hose--see pic above: new hose goes through the gap where the word "Line" is written in red]).

Then, connect the 2 hoses to the tranny cooler as shown below. The line that connects at the bottom (as indicated by two red circles) is the line that goes to the radiator. The line that will go from the tranny cooler back to the transmission (the new tranny return line) is shown with 1 red circle.

You'll need to move the horn on the right, and swing it over, on top of the left horn.

Then, mount the tranny cooler as suggested in the instructions. If you choose to use their mounting kit, you'll need to stick the ties through the tranny cooler's fins, through through the radiator's fins, cap the ties (on the radiator side), and trim the ties.

Put the support bracket for the metal battery tray back in place (2 bolts). Mount the metal battery tray (4 bolts), attach the battery cable support bolt, and replace the plastic battery tray.

Replace the battery, and battery tie-down strap.

Finally, check for leaks, and you're done!
The following users liked this post:
crxmadness (04-09-2016)
Old 06-27-2002, 04:49 PM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice. Love seeing people attempt the do it yourself stuff.

Does that go inline before or after the radiator? Makes more sense to go after, but just curious.

Did you have to increase the volume of tranny fluid? Looks like it would take more fluid now.

Nice install pics.
Old 06-27-2002, 05:35 PM
DOOKS of hazard!!!!

pro instructions dust.....pro!!!!! i say useful stuff needs this post....also, let me aask your opinion...would it be worth it to buy one of these for a 2.2 auto....i ask cause my tranny doesnt shift smooth at all....ive taken it to acura dealers and theyve done tranny flushes etc and say it looks fine, but i know that it shouldnt shift this hard.......anyway, would it help? thanks! and again, nice post!
Old 06-27-2002, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Great info dust. Thanks for takin the time to shoot the pics and provide installation instructions.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:49 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

A special "shout" to dajuice27 for his guidance, suggestions, and overall patience with my constant whining and bitching during the install!

We ended up doing the install (an equivalent) of x 2 due to trial and error.

So . . . . D-27; when do we put one in your CL?

Originally posted by niedejb
Nice. Love seeing people attempt the do it yourself stuff.

Does that go inline before or after the radiator? Makes more sense to go after, but just curious.

Did you have to increase the volume of tranny fluid? Looks like it would take more fluid now.

Nice install pics.
Thanks, all, for the compliments!

It feels good to do it yourself!

niedejb: It's running inline after the radiator as the tranny return line now runs from the tranny cooler directly to the tranny. As you mentioned, this made the most sense to me!

I plan to drain the tranny fluid this weekend, and replace it with Redline Racing ATF. I'll have a better idea of any increase in the volume of fluid. Right now, it's a little low (but I also lost some fluid when I disconnected the return line.

d5c5b: I highly recommend the tranny cooler for most (if not all) auto trannys. The more I read about the causes of auto tranny failure, the more I'm convinced that a tranny cooler can be beneficial.

Oh yeah . . . . . Mad props to niedejb for the inspiration for my avatar!
Old 06-28-2002, 01:33 AM
DOOKS of hazard!!!!

so where did you say i can buy one of these...and what should i expect to pay...and do you think i can install this myself....i mean, i can do a bit of my own work.....i did all my system myself, so whatya think....

oh, and2 heres a pic of my system....just cause i love it.....thought i'd let ya know....lol
Old 06-28-2002, 07:38 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Your trunk looks great!

I got my tranny cooler from www.bulkparts.com for $37.22 plus shipping. Click on "Transmission cooler index", then click on "HAYDEN Transaver Plus coolers
stacked plate ".

I think you should be able to install it with minimum difficulty.
Old 06-28-2002, 07:53 AM
Instructor

DB4 you Rock! I have a 5 speed but you are a great assest to this board. Keep up the great worK!!
Old 06-28-2002, 08:32 AM
Always drivin 100+

Those directions are nice, good job, maybe I'll look into one.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:34 AM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great Job db4!!!! Thanks for taking the time to post those instructions. I'll be looking forward to a weekend project. A tranny cooler is definently worth getting, especially for the money.
Old 06-28-2002, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Thanks dustbuster4 for such excellent instructions! I know I will need one of these when I put in the CT supercharger!
Old 06-28-2002, 02:54 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

D4,

Let "Lil Juice" get here and settled before I install one in the CL. July is Probe month for mods, August is the Cl's turn, so I know I'll have one installed in August, along with some other goodies! Next week is the HID upgrade install, so be ready for my phone call and more in depth instructions for the installation.

Anytime I am available, I'll be more than happy to help you out with mods, I just get ideas as to what to do with the CL.

Also, I almost finished buffing the scratches out of the car last night, I'll make a seperate post later with pictures to show. I just hated stripping off the 10 coats of Zaino last night to get started, but I have 3 on now and I'll have another 6 on by Monday, then I'll put on another 6 coats before the little guy gets here.
Old 06-28-2002, 04:34 PM
DOOKS of hazard!!!!

rick, if i run into any trouble installing, would you mind me given you a call for some help! if its not a problem, just email me your numba .... d5c5b@aol.com
Old 06-28-2002, 11:27 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Originally posted by d5c5b
rick, if i run into any trouble installing, would you mind me given you a call for some help! if its not a problem, just email me your numba .... d5c5b@aol.com
No problem!

Phone # sent via e-mail!

THANKS, EVERYONE FOR THE PRAISE!

For my next feat, I'll take the whole engine apart, and put it back together with color photos and step by step instructions!

D27: Let's take "Lil Juice" to the track, and get him racing! Never to young; huh! :P
Old 06-28-2002, 11:30 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Originally posted by joeshmoe
Great Job db4!!!! Thanks for taking the time to post those instructions. I'll be looking forward to a weekend project. A tranny cooler is definently worth getting, especially for the money.
Come to the CL meet at Seneca Creek State Park on Saturday. Won't take but 30-35 minutes to get there! Check out the thread at the top of the "Club Events" page!
Old 06-29-2002, 11:04 PM
10th Gear

Great instructions, thanks for taking the time to post! It'll probably look a little bit different on the 2.2, but good info nonetheless.

Just ordered a Hayden OC-1677 tranny cooler today, should come in handy. Checked the tranny oil color and it looks pink, so apparently the former owner took good care of it.

Here's hoping that tranny will last!

- Max
Old 06-30-2002, 08:51 AM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

D4,

The little guy is already a race head, racing go karts with me and now the mini R/C cars, we should have him loving the track pretty quickly. I just have to make sure he can drive better than his ol' man. He'll be with me during the GP race here in DC. I won't work that assignment now, I 'll just be a spectator so we can enjoy it more together.

Now I am looking for other Go Kart tracks to take him to.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:19 AM
Instructor

what makes this tranny cooler different from others? Why was this one chosen? Was it because of the price?
Old 08-16-2002, 09:01 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Originally posted by FrstGenCL
what makes this tranny cooler different from others? Why was this one chosen? Was it because of the price?
It was recommended to me by a local 2nd Gen CL'er.

I chose the size/model to handle the excessive heat that my N2O set-up creates. It's larger than our car needs, but it's perfect for my application.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:55 PM
Racer

One more question

I just had my tranny flushed 3,000 miles ago ... after i get this installed should i add more fluid or what?
Old 05-30-2003, 08:05 PM
Advanced

ne one with a 2.2 gonna buy one let me know which cooler you choose. thanks
Old 05-30-2003, 10:55 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Re: One more question

Originally posted by PerFecto
I just had my tranny flushed 3,000 miles ago ... after i get this installed should i add more fluid or what?
You loose very little fluid when installing the tranny cooler. The amount I added was sooooo small, I can't even put a measurement to it. My guess is a quarter of a cup (and that may be too much).

a-cl2die-4: I'd use the same one as I did for the 3.0.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:35 PM
Instructor

dustbuster4:

Have you noticed a difference in shifts with your Auto tranny since the addition of this tranny cooler?
I'm considering getting this since my shifts are sometimes not as smooth as they should be and I really would like to avoid any tranny problems in the future.
Does anyone have positive feedback on this thing actually helping ?

Thanks,
Old 07-14-2003, 10:57 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

As I see it, my tranny should be destroyed by now. I've run soooo many bottles of nitrous, that the extra heat alone should have fried it!

However, I have noticed that my shifts are a little crisper than before the tranny cooler.

Keep in mind that just because you may not feel a dramatic change in the shifting doesn't mean the cooler isn't worth it. The main goal of the tranny cooler is to lower the constant temperature inside the tranny, therefore extending it's life.

How can you go wrong for a $40.00 investment and a little install time?
Old 10-01-2003, 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Just printed out instructions

Quick question install is the same on a 97 2.2 CL right?

and when i go to pep boys any certain size or spec i should look for when i buy it thankz
Old 10-01-2003, 08:08 PM
Racer

I'd buy that for my tranny, but i WANT my tranny to go... lol. I want to get a 5 spd soooo bad. i've heard that automatic honda trannies suck like a cheap whore. is that true?? i've got 61k miles on it and no problems. i'm just wondering how long i'm gonna have to wait to get my manual. i could get it now, but it just would seem like a waste of money. but then again i could scrap the tranny while it still works right! hmmm idea. i'm gonna have to call around and get prices.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:29 PM
Still trolling

Rick, to date, what are your thoughts on this mod? Shifting staying consistant? I notice after a bit of stop and go traffic, mine can very slight leg on shifts or what I like to call "making up it's mind" as to which gear it should be in (right around shift time).
Old 10-01-2003, 11:44 PM
Atl/Mia reppin'

lol, talk about resurrecting an old thread!
Old 10-02-2003, 04:28 AM
Suzuka Master

All i do is SEARCH and bring back old stuff... All the new threads are repeated old threads...
Old 10-02-2003, 04:57 AM
who got the best deal?

can this be used for a 5-speed??
Old 10-02-2003, 05:36 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Originally posted by r0dxx
Just printed out instructions

Quick question install is the same on a 97 2.2 CL right?

and when i go to pep boys any certain size or spec i should look for when i buy it thankz
Overall, the install should be similar. However, the location of the tranny lines may be different on your 2.2 (mine's the 3.0).

Look for a cooler that will handle up to a 20,000 lbs (GVW) vehicle.

chrisbpickering: My auto shifts have been fairly consistent and firm. However, I tend to shift manually (which helps me gain the HP increase from my headers at higher RPMs) and the shifts are excellent. My tranny has never run better!
Old 10-02-2003, 07:05 AM
4-8-15-16-23-42

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
and the award for most helpful poster goes to
Dustbuster
Old 10-02-2003, 09:59 AM
Suzuka Master

has anyone installed it on there 2.2/2.3 auto? Im thinking about doing it tommorow afternoon...
Old 10-02-2003, 10:06 AM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

has anyone installed it on there 2.2/2.3 auto? Im thinking about doing it tommorow afternoon...
I am thinking about it also.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:07 AM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Originally posted by red99cl2.3
can this be used for a 5-speed??
I think in order for this to work, u need a pump for the fluid. I believe from looking at a couple of second generation CL postings that Manual cars don't have a pump to circuilate the fluid.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Soo what do i have to do different then dust directions? I guess ill do it this saturday shouldnt take more then a hour...
Old 10-02-2003, 10:20 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 974 Likes on 330 Posts
guys, this is the best mod you can do to ensure longer tranny life. I install them on almost every auto tranny in my family's stable. I've even put them on stock cars for friends to ensure longer life. It is a must mod for any auto owner!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Soo what do i have to do different then dust directions? I guess ill do it this saturday shouldnt take more then a hour...
Post pics if u can. This mod seems just right in $$.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Suzuka Master

OK im sold im on a rebuilt tranny right now it shift mad weird jumps all over...tranny cooler going on

I guess ill jus follow the 3.0 directions and try to figure it out with my friend.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:34 AM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by chrisbpickering
I notice after a bit of stop and go traffic, mine can very slight leg on shifts or what I like to call "making up it's mind" as to which gear it should be in (right around shift time).
That's funny. I think of that hesitation in the same sense.
Make up your mind damnit and go already!!!!!

Quick Reply: Tranny Cooler Install Instructions & Pics