touchy subject? looking for G23 info....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:29 PM
6spder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
touchy subject? looking for G23 info....

I've searched our forum (via google) and read up on this swap a few places online

Just wanted to see if ANYONE here has done this sort of swap
(F23 block / H23 head)

My Goal is to have a running CL b4 winter so i can use it again.

I wont be doing any real performance stuff on it but i would like a little more power and atm it looks like all i need is a new head. so this came into mind.

any and ALL info greatly appreciated, i would like to know what parts i'll need to complete the job, from checking online and local yards, i can get a H23 head for not much more then a F23 head.

also can i use a H22 head? what's the difference?

thanx in advance
Old 08-16-2008, 12:34 PM
where is....

there were 2 people who attempted the g23 swap.......and both ended up just swapping in h23 instead.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Yep i'm one of them. The simplicity and apparent cost effectiveness of the swap is what attracted me to try it out, but there's ALOT of things that normal people need to do that mechanics take as second nature so they dont include in their build threads. I ran into a number of issues.

1)Milling the block. Both me and SilverCL97 ran into trouble with this. You have to get both the block and the head milled to fit on precisely so that there are no leaks. Silver melted the damn engine without it lol.

2) Headgasket fitment. The Fseries headgasket and Hseries head gaskets dont exactly match up. You've got to hondabond a couple oil drain plugs on the block and use the H series head gasket to make sure the head fits properly, and thats after the milling.

3) Waterpump piping fitment. The H series and F series waterpump piping on the block are completely different and need to be cut apart, welded together to make sure that they are in the proper place, or get a completely custom one. Not too bad but alot harder than it seems to get it exactly right and not leaking.

4) Compression ratio. Unless you're going to turbo the motor right through the build, the compression ratio is going to be DIRT low, and its not gonna bring the power you anticipated so to go N/A you have to replace the rods and pistons with a variant of H series pistons or possibly rsx-s pistons to bring the compression ratio to a range where you can produce power. Another thing to bring the cost of the swap way up.

Not to mention having to tune it, cuz it will not run smoothly unless u kick a few kinks out, which will requre a jumper harness and a chipped ecu. These are just the biggest things that come to mind that i was frustrated with when i tried the swap and attempted to get it running. And after this you can't even guarantee that the motor will start and run efficiently which sucks lol. You need alot of knowhow to get this to the finishing stages correctly. Give me another motor and a year, you'll see one running properly.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:23 PM
6spder

so in other words your suggesting I just get a F23 head and call it day. i have mechnical skills (i'm good with custom stuff) but you're suggesting its just not worth it, money and time wise invloved in the swap. hmmm

Sounded good on paper i guess. I'll be ripping apart my top end to figure out the damage i caused in the next 2 months, we'll see how bad it is. i gotta get this puppy on the road, i don't want to keep putting miles on my legend (too mint, too low miles to drive it daily)
Old 08-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
Search yo

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=frankenstein

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=frankenstein
Old 08-18-2008, 01:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Damn my head hurts from just reading some of those. One day i'll do it. ONNNE DAYYY lol. Nowhere near anytime soon though. Got an H23 swap to tend to lol.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just swap an complete engine of your choice and call it a day. don't bother with these frankstein builds for your DD/winter car.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
Yeah wiring problems are much better
Old 08-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Instructor

There is alot of info on the frankenstein G23's and such on honda tech.
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2168311

Thats the faq. scroll down a bit you will see the hybrids.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Kulrevon
There is alot of info on the frankenstein G23's and such on honda tech.
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2168311

Thats the faq. scroll down a bit you will see the hybrids.
damn theres ALOT of useful info on that thread of FAQ links!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:26 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
That's pretty much all of it right here. As for the headgasket, you also have to remove one of the copper fastners that hold the headgasket together or it won't seal properly.

I should post of pics of how my "G" got but i just can't find the damn cable for the camera

Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1
Yep i'm one of them. The simplicity and apparent cost effectiveness of the swap is what attracted me to try it out, but there's ALOT of things that normal people need to do that mechanics take as second nature so they dont include in their build threads. I ran into a number of issues.

1)Milling the block. Both me and SilverCL97 ran into trouble with this. You have to get both the block and the head milled to fit on precisely so that there are no leaks. Silver melted the damn engine without it lol.

2) Headgasket fitment. The Fseries headgasket and Hseries head gaskets dont exactly match up. You've got to hondabond a couple oil drain plugs on the block and use the H series head gasket to make sure the head fits properly, and thats after the milling.

3) Waterpump piping fitment. The H series and F series waterpump piping on the block are completely different and need to be cut apart, welded together to make sure that they are in the proper place, or get a completely custom one. Not too bad but alot harder than it seems to get it exactly right and not leaking.

4) Compression ratio. Unless you're going to turbo the motor right through the build, the compression ratio is going to be DIRT low, and its not gonna bring the power you anticipated so to go N/A you have to replace the rods and pistons with a variant of H series pistons or possibly rsx-s pistons to bring the compression ratio to a range where you can produce power. Another thing to bring the cost of the swap way up.

Not to mention having to tune it, cuz it will not run smoothly unless u kick a few kinks out, which will requre a jumper harness and a chipped ecu. These are just the biggest things that come to mind that i was frustrated with when i tried the swap and attempted to get it running. And after this you can't even guarantee that the motor will start and run efficiently which sucks lol. You need alot of knowhow to get this to the finishing stages correctly. Give me another motor and a year, you'll see one running properly.